Hi A. I love the concept and wish you all the best with your project.
I really like the battle scene but there doesn’t seem to be enough differentiation between the background scene and the foreground characters. They look like a badly drawn perspective of the same scene.
I can appreciate how pleased you are with the battle scene but is that putting too greater emphasis on your desire to show so much of it? Perhaps spread it across the spine to the back cover to extend its use?
I was given to wonder if you ditched the too small characters from the bottom of the page and over laid the principal character Such as in post #7. This would show greater separation between the scenes and give your hero more emphasis. It also has a greater link with the previous covers while still looking more fresh and dynamic.
Thanks for your suggestion John. Rest assured, it didn’t fall on deaf ears. I must admit, I did not do the first two covers in this series. Both were commission works. They are attached below.
However, as my 3D art skills have grown, it is my desire to do my own covers. I am planning on keeping the back cover and spine the same as the first two books for uniformity. Although I have ‘tweaked’ the cover a bit more. The dark elf sorceress (antagonist) is pretty much the puppetmaster of my two heroes, hence her new positioning but she always in in the background pulling the strings…so I set her opacity at 80% and added smoke and fire to suggest destruction. I also tweaked the lighting and shadows on the heroes.
Suggestions and comments welcomed.