Digital Art Zone

3 of 6
RAMWorks Tutorials: PP2 and HR2 to figure & Painting Genesis in ZBrush
Posted: 20 September 2012 10:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 31 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4545
Joined  2007-09-13

Well, I haven’t gotten around to getting the ‘extra’ packages…yet.  So I decided to play with what I already had and see if it worked.

Signature 

1432 old posts

My ShareCG gallery.

Just because something costs a lot, doesn’t mean it’s the best…

It just means it’s expensive.

Posted: 20 September 2012 11:00 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 32 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  901
Joined  2009-12-07

Bookmark because this looks very interesting and I’m going to digest it post by post this weekend.

Thanks RAM.

Signature 

PoseMaster for DAZ Studio and PoseMaster People Pack now sold at Rendo.

Posted: 20 September 2012 11:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 33 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-09-13

Here’s a shot of the RavenMohawk (an RDNA freebie) with a V4 fit then converted…

Image Attachments
ravmofit.jpg
 Signature 

1432 old posts

My ShareCG gallery.

Posted: 23 September 2012 02:55 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 34 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  534
Joined  2005-01-19
gilikshe - 15 September 2012 08:07 PM
barbult - 07 September 2012 11:52 PM

Thanks for such detailed instructions. That is what I need to learn these tools. I was able to fit the hair and save the DUF just fine and the morphs work, but the PZ2 material presets for hair color do not work. Any suggestions?

Load original hair. Apply pz2. Save as material preset. This material works fine with converted hair.

Poser Pose Mat declaration for hair-props and hair-figure are differents.

For hair *.hr2:

{
version
{
  number 4.01
}
prop figureHair
{

For hair *.cr2:

{
version
{
number 4.01
}
figure
{

I suppose because this, some *.pz2 mats doesn’t work with hair converted to DS4 figure. Changing “prop figurehair” by “figure” its a permanent solution.

Signature 

Playing with shaders

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/viewthread/20283/

Posted: 23 September 2012 08:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 35 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1175
Joined  2009-01-09
RAMWolff - 20 September 2012 09:33 AM

That’s interesting.  Good to know.  I have all the shapes with their fitting templates so never thought to do it that way.

Richard: just wondering: have you tried this on several of the AprilYSH or the Neftis hairs? I’m getting a failure rate of about 50% on both of them (though, to be fair, I haven’t tried a huge number of either). This happened both with 4.0 and now with 4.5.

As far as I can tell, the difference seems to be how the hair comes into the scene, how the parenting coordinates are getting misinterpreted. If the hair comes into the scene in the middle of the character’s head, all seems to go well. If it comes in above Genesis’ head, that’s where it’s going to stay. I’ve tried using different character clones, which sometimes helps. (One thing I’ve discovered: if it says it has fits for Victoria and Michael both, never ever EVER use the Michael clone, because he came later, so his fit is an afterthought.)

Signature 

VWrangler at deviantArt (NSFW for some images; login required to view those)

Posted: 23 September 2012 09:23 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 36 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4533
Joined  2004-08-11

Not converted too many of April’s or Neffies hairs.  I converted April’s Lyon Hair pack.  The hair is an HR2 and converted just fine.  Neffs I have done Billyhawk and Wildmane only so far. I think Wildmane was converted for DS for Genesis way back when it was first debuted but there were no movement morphs so converting my way retained all those!  raspberry

I have converted quite a few of SAV’s hair sets though as I love Jo’s work > Boris Hair, Electra Hair, Kouros Hair, Sissy LeBo Hair, Sparticus Hair and I see Eros Short Hair but there is no png for it so I think it was one of the earlier attempts so not sure if it works or not.

Converted Valea’s Midnight Prince and Rose Curls but not sure if they are cr2’s or hr2’s it’s hard to remember at this point. 

Some hair does convert better than others.  Some get a kink right at the shoulder/neck area.  Some times you can remove bones and that puts it right but you need to be careful which bones you remove or the hair will literally fall apart and turn into a strange shape ... kinda like Cousin It on acid.  LMAO

Signature 

—- Wolff On The Prowl—-

Pan Project

Posted: 23 September 2012 09:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 37 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2004-08-11

Turns out the SAV Eros Short Hair was an unfinished conversion…. It’s now ready fully for use! 

What I REALLY like about DAZ Studio is that you can easily create new folders for morphs so rather than having them all in one folder you just go up to the Parameter settings for each morph.  Type in the new path name in the path line, 3rd one down iirc, click accept and the morph’s path is transferred into the new sub category.  Go through and add all you want one by one.  Be nice to have multi select and edit but perhaps in some other version of DS this will happen.

The Eros hair for M4 was part of the whole “True Blood” character kick Jo was on for a while.  This looks like Eric’s short hair style he wore for a while.  What I love about SAV’s work is that she really gets in there with fine detail.  Her newest hair at ‘Rosity is for M4 and Genesis and look at the detail, it’s amazing, right down to the fine hairs at the roots in the front.  That’s totally cool with me, my being a hairdresser and all. 

Image Attachments
ErosShortHair.jpg
 Signature 

—- Wolff On The Prowl—-

Pan Project

Posted: 23 September 2012 12:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 38 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2009-01-09
RAMWolff - 23 September 2012 09:23 AM

Not converted too many of April’s or Neffies hairs.  I converted April’s Lyon Hair pack.  The hair is an HR2 and converted just fine.  Neffs I have done Billyhawk and Wildmane only so far. I think Wildmane was converted for DS for Genesis way back when it was first debuted but there were no movement morphs so converting my way retained all those!  raspberry

What sorts of movement morphs does the other Wildmane have that the Genesis version doesn’t? I never considered getting that one, since it came with Genesis.

Of the April hairs, so far, Caleb, Harlow, Ivandri and Ysaris all converted with no problems. Vayne Braid sort of converted, but then all of its movement morphs went inactive when it was fitted; they were still there, they just didn’t do anything. (It was a CR2 hair, which probably explains that a little.) Cuffed Tail 2, Jai, Horsetail, Mitch, and Glyn all failed outright. Glyn failed kind of spectacularly; I tried everything, all the clones including K4, short and long hair, whatever, and basically all it achieved was various heights floating above the character’s head. That one makes me a little sad; it’s my go-to for long floppy hair for guys. But it’s not as though it’s unusable otherwise.

I have converted quite a few of SAV’s hair sets though as I love Jo’s work > Boris Hair, Electra Hair, Kouros Hair, Sissy LeBo Hair, Sparticus Hair and I see Eros Short Hair but there is no png for it so I think it was one of the earlier attempts so not sure if it works or not.

Converted Valea’s Midnight Prince and Rose Curls but not sure if they are cr2’s or hr2’s it’s hard to remember at this point. 

Some hair does convert better than others.  Some get a kink right at the shoulder/neck area.  Some times you can remove bones and that puts it right but you need to be careful which bones you remove or the hair will literally fall apart and turn into a strange shape ... kinda like Cousin It on acid.  LMAO

I did both Spartacos short and long hair without any problem, and also SAV Sonia, although that one got the kink in the shoulder that you mentioned. Eros I don’t have, but from the looks of it, I might get it later. Oh, and SAV Dante without any problems—although until I ran into it when I was looking for the Sonia prop, I’d completely forgotten I had it. Something for your blond guy going bald—and only for your blond guy, although it takes diffuse changes well enough. (Oh ... and Dante’s eyebrows, of all possible things. Which also convert well and also take diffuse changes well.)

Cesar Hair by Raiya came through without a problem, which makes me very happy since it’s the one short male hair I use all the time.

For Neftis hairs so far, it’s looking like the early problems I was having may have been due to trying this in 4.0, where they all failed. Under 4.5 so far, they’re all doing pretty good. BillyHawk M4 (the refit, not the original, which fails spectacularly), Corey Spikes, Goya, Marios and Mature Mark by Neftis came through without an issue. (Goya looks very strange when you put it through the joint editor.) Ricardi M4—again, the refit—sort of worked, but gained a lot of volume in the process somehow. Seriously, that’s some big BIG hair; in order to look sort of normal, after transfer and saving, you have to use the included morph to reduce the volume about 300%, and the included Ricardi M4 morph to reduce the scale. I just wish more of her hair had Daz mats, but such is life.

Signature 

Posted: 23 September 2012 12:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 39 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-09-13
vwrangler - 23 September 2012 12:13 PM

Of the April hairs, so far, Caleb, Harlow, Ivandri and Ysaris all converted with no problems. Vayne Braid sort of converted, but then all of its movement morphs went inactive when it was fitted; they were still there, they just didn’t do anything. (It was a CR2 hair, which probably explains that a little.) Cuffed Tail 2, Jai, Horsetail, Mitch, and Glyn all failed outright. Glyn failed kind of spectacularly; I tried everything, all the clones including K4, short and long hair, whatever, and basically all it achieved was various heights floating above the character’s head. That one makes me a little sad; it’s my go-to for long floppy hair for guys. But it’s not as though it’s unusable otherwise..

I converted Horsetail without any problems…

Signature 

1432 old posts

My ShareCG gallery.

Posted: 23 September 2012 01:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 40 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2009-01-09
mjc1016 - 23 September 2012 12:41 PM

Which clone did you use to make the transfer?

Signature 

Posted: 23 September 2012 02:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 41 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-09-13
vwrangler - 23 September 2012 01:47 PM

Used the V4 fit, with V4 clone and short hair for the template.

Signature 

1432 old posts

My ShareCG gallery.

Posted: 23 September 2012 03:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 42 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2009-01-09
mjc1016 - 23 September 2012 02:03 PM
vwrangler - 23 September 2012 01:47 PM

Used the V4 fit, with V4 clone and short hair for the template.

Oh, OK. It would never have occurred to me to use one of the fit poses, or to transfer the horsetail as short hair. That worked perfectly.

And, it turns out, doing more or less the same thing with Glyn Hair worked for it as well. In that case, it was V3 fit and V3 clone.

I’ve also transferred DAZ Morphing Flat Top and Aiko 4 Bandanna Hair today. I’ve never gotten the Flat Top to look as good on a character as it did after that transfer, but the A4 Bandanna Hair didn’t do too well. The transfer worked, but all the flyaway bits that are normally part of the hair were bent and broken.

Signature 

Posted: 24 September 2012 03:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 43 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  534
Joined  2005-01-19

Neftis Beatiful Black Hair Style. This fit genesis, but not change with shapes. Now, I can adapt it to big head toons.

Image Attachments
bigi2.png
 Signature 

Playing with shaders

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/viewthread/20283/

Posted: 24 September 2012 11:12 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 44 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2004-08-11

Yea, sorry vwrangler, I loaded up Genesis and Glyn and couldn’t get it to cooperate either. Tried removing bones, tried setting Genesis at the Default and then M4 shape, tried starting the conversion in it’s default position but to no avail.  I notice that when the hair is converted from a prop to a figure it jumps up about a heads worth so I think that’s what’s going on so what ever April did when making this hair seems to be hard coded in and it just messes up any attempts to convert it.

Signature 

—- Wolff On The Prowl—-

Pan Project

Posted: 24 September 2012 11:35 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 45 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2004-08-11

Same with Portia hair.  I don’t know what that girl did when making these hairs but most are probably not convertible, sorry!  When you get a fav to convert just be thankful it worked!

Signature 

—- Wolff On The Prowl—-

Pan Project

3 of 6