Digital Art Zone

1 of 6
RAMWorks Tutorials: PP2 and HR2 to figure & Painting Genesis in ZBrush
Posted: 10 June 2012 06:13 PM   [ Ignore ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4406
Joined  2004-08-11

Over in my freebie thread for SAV’s Kouros Hair in the Freepozitory a nice person informed me there was a work around for getting hr2 hair to conform to Genesis WITH the morphs.  I was very thrilled to know of this.  The information this person left with me though was good for DS 4.0 but things have changed in 4.5 so I’m glad I was able to figure out where everything is!  It may not be the perfect solution for all things but it DOES work.  SO here is the tutorial.

1) Load up Genesis, keep Genesis selected.

2) Load up Hair (.hr2) or prop (.pp2) (like Antennae or similar) it will then be auto parented to the correct area, ie: Head

note: DO NOT reposition the prop, DO NOT!

3) Look up at your icons on the main tool bar and look for the “bone with a band-aid” or if your more of a menu person look under Tools menu click that (Key strokes are: Alt-Shift-J, select the parented object in the Scene tab.  It will become highlighted in white.

4) Go to the Tools Settings panel and click in the little menu box in the upper right corner of the tab, the menu will fly out. If you don’t have this tab activated you can find it under: Window > Tabs > Tool Settings

You can also now access the Convert Prop to Figure through the Scene menu: Edit>Rigging>Convert Prop to Figure

5) Edit > Convert Prop to Figure :  Leave it as it is: radio buttons clicked ON: TriAx Weight Mapping and Inherit Skeleton of Parent click Accept. The Edit > Convert Prop to Figure option can be found in the context sensitive menu on the top right corner of the Tools Setting pane/dialog.

Once this is done the newly boned prop will now be a figure and automatically unparented from Genesis!

6) Then go up to the Scene tabs fly out menu, click that and Assets> Transfer Utility and follow the steps below:
a: Source: Scene Item: Genesis
  Item Shape: Clone, a dialog will pop up, choose Michael 4 (or Victoria 4 depending on what the prop was originally made for)

b: Target: Scene Item: converted prop name will be in the selections, select that!
  Item Shape: Default (leave this setting alone for this transfer)

5) Projection Template: If it’s a face mask, antennae I chose Hair> Short… your call….

Show Options, click this to expand

6) Leave all checked that’s checked but also check “Reverse Source Shape From Target” and “Add Smoothing Modifier”

7) Click: Accept and let it run.

Once this is finished then you need to save this out as a .duf file.

8) File> Save As> Support Asset fly out and choose the top most item in the menu:  Figure/Prop Assets

9) Save dialog will come up.
  a: Name the Vendor Name: (whom ever made it or your name, up to you)
  b: Name the Product Name: converted Props name, no spaces or _ to connect the words if you want.
  c: Leave the “Item Name” filled in as it is!

10) Click Accept. 

My Antennae that I made for M4 to do a Chameleon Boy character works perfectly.  All the morphs are there and resizes just fine! 

I’ve also brought over SAV’s Spartacus and Goldtassels Timeless Male Hair and both look awesome.

Please don’t forget, as much as you want to move the prop into place please don’t do that.  Just leave it where ever it loads.  It will conform perfectly.  IF you do move it and it conforms like crap don’t come in here and tell me I’m giving bad advice.  I’ve tried it 10 ways to Sunday and found leaving it in place as it loads into the scene is how it’s supposed to load and will conform very nicely to Genesis and work as expected. 

Hope this proves useful to some folks!  grin

Image Attachments
ChamsforGenesis.jpg
 Signature 

—- Wolff On The Prowl—-

Pan Project

Posted: 10 June 2012 07:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  54
Joined  2008-05-14

Many thanks for the step-by-step instructions! grin

Posted: 10 June 2012 08:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2004-08-11

Your most welcome.  Maybe some of the prop makers that are kinda Jonesing for an opportunity to make stuff that will resize with Genesis MIGHT have a chance at this after all.  Not tried jewelery of any kind thus far.  I was actually getting my Cham Vest I made for M4 rerigged and fitted to Genesis but keeps crashing DAZ Studio.  SO I’m now understanding why so many are not pleased with the constant crashes.  I did manage to save it TriAx to an old .daz file format so I’ll keep trying.  Genesis though, is so huge now with morphs it loads with each new iteration it takes quite a while.  I wish there were a version of Genesis for content makers that doesn’t need morphs, just the base to load up.  big surprise

Signature 

—- Wolff On The Prowl—-

Pan Project

Posted: 10 June 2012 09:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  155
Joined  2004-05-21

Thank you very much for these detailed instructions! smile Very helpful information.

I hope you are successful in your endevours to rerig your charm vest. smile

Posted: 10 June 2012 10:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1778
Joined  2011-07-31

Thanks for the step-by-step, RAMWolff.  I’m going to try this.  Lord knows I need all the help I can get.

Signature 

AtticAnne in Austin TX

FREE GANGSTER RPG GAME

Posted: 10 June 2012 11:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  294
Joined  2003-10-09

Is this specific to DS 4.5?
I don’t get checkbox for “Inherit Skeleton of Parent ” in DS4 and of course, only 4.5 supports “.duf” extension.

It gets a very nice fit for hair this way after saving to a “.dsf” but I don’t know what happened to morphs.

Posted: 10 June 2012 11:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2004-08-11

I’m sorry Medzin,  I no longer have .47, it was so buggy that I was glad to finally get 4.5, even though it’s got some bugs too! 

Vest is coming along fabulously.  Got it rigged and working on morphs via GoZ and they are looking wonderful.  It will be my first fully rigged clothing piece.  Not perfect but it’s MINE!  lol

Signature 

—- Wolff On The Prowl—-

Pan Project

Posted: 07 September 2012 10:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2757
Joined  2004-04-14

I highly recommend DS4.5 over DS4.  The improvements made to the program is awsome.  I am tempted to leave DS3 behind though i still have some testing to do.

Thanks Richard

Signature 

My DAZ3D Store
My Free Stuff
My Art @ DeviantART
Ships of the Line - MEGA THREAD
How to use the Poser Format Exporter - **Updated 2013-02-09**

Posted: 07 September 2012 11:08 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2004-08-11

Your very welcome Matty.  It’s a very useful tutorial for those items you really really wish you could have for Genesis but because they are made for another model you feel left out… no more of that!  cool grin

Signature 

—- Wolff On The Prowl—-

Pan Project

Posted: 07 September 2012 03:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2757
Joined  2004-04-14

I normally do manual fits for boots and hair (yes I saw the other tut) but at the same time if its bennificial I will try another method.  After all if I cant get this or something else to worl for me, theres always the manual method!

Signature 

My DAZ3D Store
My Free Stuff
My Art @ DeviantART
Ships of the Line - MEGA THREAD
How to use the Poser Format Exporter - **Updated 2013-02-09**

Posted: 07 September 2012 03:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  16419
Joined  2009-01-22
RAMWolff - 07 September 2012 11:08 AM

Your very welcome Matty.  It’s a very useful tutorial for those items you really really wish you could have for Genesis but because they are made for another model you feel left out… no more of that!  cool grin

Thank you so much. I really need this for some of my items, such a life and time saver.

Signature 

Exile, Drows Walk: A Tale of Jaderail starts here. Free pulp fiction at its Fantasy best, Updated 2/3/14.
Proud Member of the Bald Wizards Club My stuff at DeviantArt

Posted: 07 September 2012 03:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2004-08-11

Y’all are very welcome.  I’ve actually got a full thread for all my freebies going over at the Freepozitory found here:

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/viewthread/6841/

I used the tutorial to bring AprilYSH’s Lyon hair (HR2)  for M4, along with the ruff and hat (both CR2’s) over to Genesis.  Perfect!  grin

Working on new mats for it now…. using Aprils wonderful textures.  Screen shots at the link above, scroll down…

Signature 

—- Wolff On The Prowl—-

Pan Project

Posted: 07 September 2012 04:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Administrator
RankRank
Total Posts:  309
Joined  2003-10-09
Medzin - 10 June 2012 11:04 PM

Is this specific to DS 4.5?
I don’t get checkbox for “Inherit Skeleton of Parent ” in DS4 and of course, only 4.5 supports “.duf” extension.

See entries in the DAZ Studio 4.5 Change Log for the following builds:

Yes, 4.5.x was 4.1.x until it was decided that 4.5 would be the released version - as noted in the 4.5.0.1 entries.

-Rob

Signature 

- Documentation Center
- Install Manager
- DAZ Studio 4.x
- DSON Importer
- DSON File Format Specification

Posted: 07 September 2012 08:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2004-08-11

Rob, I really hope you guys NEVER EVER change Studio’s ability to make props conform to Genesis.  If it’s one of those happy flukes who cares, it works. 

Now for your next assignment is figuring out how to have Studio auto add ghost bones and get the transfer shoes to Genesis fixed.  raspberry *runs*  shock

Signature 

—- Wolff On The Prowl—-

Pan Project

Posted: 07 September 2012 10:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4648
Joined  2008-03-06

<3 <3

Thanks, Ram!

Signature 

My store at DAZ.

My Deviantart gallery.

Posted: 07 September 2012 11:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  2162
Joined  2012-02-04

Thanks for such detailed instructions. That is what I need to learn these tools. I was able to fit the hair and save the DUF just fine and the morphs work, but the PZ2 material presets for hair color do not work. Any suggestions?

1 of 6