Digital Art Zone

2 of 3
Shameless self-promotion
Posted: 19 March 2013 03:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3566
Joined  2004-10-01

Really photo realistic, David. I’d like to see this face in backlit, see how nostrils and ears turn out.

Jay, you can use the demo to play with. The greater hurdle than purchasing a license for Octane seems to me the purchase of a state of the art graphics card. My old one can be used by Octane, but it is depressingly slow.

Signature 

**  [ Stuff by David Brinnen and myself**  [ My DAZ 3D Gallery**  [ My Website**  OPC 4565 **

Posted: 19 March 2013 03:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2612
Joined  2004-07-06
Horo - 19 March 2013 03:23 PM

Really photo realistic, David. I’d like to see this face in backlit, see how nostrils and ears turn out.

Jay, you can use the demo to play with. The greater hurdle than purchasing a license for Octane seems to me the purchase of a state of the art graphics card. My old one can be used by Octane, but it is depressingly slow.

Yes I am very poor now :(  Bread and water for the rest of the month.  Will have another go at the skin if I get time tomorrow.  SSS and absorption is an absorbing topic - who knows where the time goes?

Signature 

that Bryce Tutorials Info and this Products made by Horo and myself and a link to my gallery at DAZ 3D

Posted: 19 March 2013 06:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  140
Joined  2003-10-09
David Brinnen - 19 March 2013 03:47 PM

Yes I am very poor now :(  Bread and water for the rest of the month.

Which card did you choose, David?

It’s a shame you don’t have an ASDA store nearby (Grimsby nearest). They do a soup called “Chicken & Vegetable Broth” that is a pretty darned-scrumptious meal in its own right and packed with natural, tasty life-preserving goodies. £1.60. Two of those a day would be the basis of a comfy existence in the absence of anything more interesting.

... who knows where the time goes?

I do. Regular 12 hour work days with regular working weekends. I enjoy my job up to a point, but bloody hell… must check lottery tickets.

Posted: 19 March 2013 10:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  487
Joined  2011-11-12

Very nice render indeed, David. Octane has been on my hit list for a while now, but like a lot of other people Cuda is not currently in my price range. I have a pretty good i7 8 core processor, but stuck with this ATI card that comes with a long list of issues.

Apologies for the delay with the Bryce articles. I’ve been distracted with Lux all over again with Luxus for the last few days, as well as wrapping up a Poser to DAZ mat conversion.
Oh, and we’re starting to see some very promising results with Lux’s homogenous and glossy translucent materials when it comes to SSS. Lux is still a somewhat quirky render engine though.

Signature 

My 3D/DAZ/Poser news blog - DigiSprawl

Posted: 20 March 2013 05:17 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2004-07-06

PJF, a GTX660 with 3gb of on board.

No fancy pants stores in this neck of the woods - this is where I shop - https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=google+maps+victoria+road+mablethorpe&hl=en&ll=53.337235,0.265686&spn=0.001424,0.004128&oq=google+maps+victoria+road+mablethorpe&hnear=Victoria+Rd,+Mablethorpe,+United+Kingdom&t=h&z=19&layer=c&cbll=53.337235,0.265686&panoid=Y2Lx8-C-U18nXwMHHHGW4Q&cbp=12,274.43,,0,7.66

Actually there’s a good selection of “out of code” stuff to root through and a shelf of dented tins that gets my special attention every visit.

Regular work?  Imagine that…  Most the lottery has ever given us is £30 - which I spent on Guinness.

Jim, no problem, who am I to say anything about being distracted by anything?

Signature 

that Bryce Tutorials Info and this Products made by Horo and myself and a link to my gallery at DAZ 3D

Posted: 20 March 2013 08:51 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2004-10-01
David Brinnen - 20 March 2013 05:17 AM

Most the lottery has ever given us is £30 ...

You beat me there by a factor of 10 and I’ve been playing longer.

Signature 

**  [ Stuff by David Brinnen and myself**  [ My DAZ 3D Gallery**  [ My Website**  OPC 4565 **

Posted: 20 March 2013 10:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2004-07-06
Horo - 19 March 2013 03:23 PM

I pushed up the light an pointed the camera at her nose - her ears are not visible on this model.  I will continue tinkering…

Image Attachments
Skin_test2.jpg
 Signature 

Posted: 20 March 2013 12:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2004-10-01

Difficult to say it’s not good looking because it is.

Signature 

Posted: 20 March 2013 01:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  657
Joined  2010-02-18

I think it’s the eye, David - lacking a pupil that makes’s this ‘general’ face view looking a bit ‘cold’ (no reflection on your work, of course). Your first render of this face was lovely, so it’s probably just the right angle (again, in my opinion).

Jay

Posted: 20 March 2013 04:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2004-07-06

I’m so incompetent at DS I don’t know that I know how to move her eye.  There is probably some control somewhere - but I just used the stock pose.  Mostly I wanted to see what happened inside her nostril.  The bump map is not high enough resolution really for this shot, it’s on the limit.  I’m only really just skimming the surface of the material in Octane.  While their properties are extensive, it has nothing to match the extent of Bryce’s mapping modes or procedural synthesis that I have found.  If it has access to Bryce’s noise, phase, blend and mapping modes it would be much more memory efficient - but maybe a bit less render efficient… I don’t know yet.  There’s a lot to investigate.

Signature 

Posted: 21 March 2013 09:56 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  181
Joined  2009-05-04

@David: You can turn her eyeballs in ...oh I wanted to write in Bryce, but your are in Octane, aren’t you? Ok however I complete now my sentence… You could select her eyeballs included with pupils and iris and turn it in Bryce. But my answer seems academically anyway, for I assume you importe her directly from DAZ studio. Pardon my jumping in. BTW her skin is awesome.

Posted: 21 March 2013 10:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2004-07-06
electro-elvis - 21 March 2013 09:56 AM

@David: You can turn her eyeballs in ...oh I wanted to write in Bryce, but your are in Octane, aren’t you? Ok however I complete now my sentence… You could select her eyeballs included with pupils and iris and turn it in Bryce. But my answer seems academically anyway, for I assume you importe her directly from DAZ studio. Pardon my jumping in. BTW her skin is awesome.

Wow I didn’t know you could turn her eyeballs in Bryce.  I’ve never managed to do that either, the grouping always seems to defeat me and they sort of leap out of her head in an unsettling way.  I should experiment further.  Aye skin… it’s proving a challenge.  Even with access to SSS and absorption.

Image Attachments
Skin_test3.jpg
 Signature 

Posted: 21 March 2013 10:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2004-10-01

I’m not certain. Do I see a bit of translucence on the inner side of the upper rim of the year?

Signature 

Posted: 21 March 2013 11:04 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2004-07-06
Horo - 21 March 2013 10:59 AM

I’m not certain. Do I see a bit of translucence on the inner side of the upper rim of the year?

I hope so.  The diffuse channel is transmissive, to a degree and scatters and absorbs (mostly blue and green so leaving red to go through more) - it is also mixed with glossy.  The node looks like a horrible rats nest!  I will send you an example soon.

Signature 

Posted: 23 March 2013 05:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 30 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  487
Joined  2011-11-12

Hey guys, me again :D Good to see this little thread is still rolling about.

The first installment of the Bryce artist features has just gone up http://digisprawl.com/blog/?p=299&preview=true

Watch out, you’re next David.

Signature 

My 3D/DAZ/Poser news blog - DigiSprawl

2 of 3