...OK as I mentioned on another thread, seems my beast has met it’s match…
...in the form of hair content.
Reconstructed a scene I tried years ago on my old system which used the Mentha Piperata character for A3 set in Stefan’s Urban Sprawl with a couple palm trees, and lit with LDP2. Well once it got to that frizzy hair, it would crash & burn after running out of memory on all those transmaps.
The new scene uses Urban Sprawl 2 the palm trees several vehicles and is lit with Cloud9 (as LDP2 does not work in 4.5)
Based on what I have seen so far, I figured it might be slow going but still felt, maybe 25 - 35 min would do it.
After 1 hour & 28 minutes, the scene was pretty much complete…well…except for that hair which maybe occupied 2 - 3% of the entire viewport. There around her face, something like two dozen render buckets had yet to fill in (the process monitor showing 98% complete). Ended up cancelling the remainder of the process after another 25 min as it was going on 03:00.
So restarted today, dropped the bucket size to 8 and reduced the trace depth to 2 (default) and set if off again. So far, doesn’t look like much of an improvement as all 8 processor threads are running at 99 - 100% and at 35 min in only at 15% complete. Once again, there is the same pattern of unfilled render buckets forming around her face as there was last night.
This character came out well before there ever was a 64 bit version of the Studio app or Poser so I wonder how anyone was expected to render this hair with ray tracing turned on while having only 2G of memory (TM is indicating between, 3.55 and 3.65 G being used) and maybe four CPU cores total.