Digital Art Zone

2 of 99
Realistic Renders… NOT!! 12 “And we’re back in the room!”
Posted: 13 March 2013 02:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2558
Joined  2009-02-24

Out of interest, what were your settings for SSS?

Signature 

Find me on DeviantArt
Download my free IBL presets for Luxus
Re-upload of Cresent’s awesome pwToon shaders
Create your own Smart Content

Posted: 13 March 2013 02:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  26
Joined  2012-08-17

Out of interest, what were your settings for SSS?

You have to add the following line to your .lxo file

MakeNamedVolume "SSS"
  "homogeneous"
  "texture fresnel" 
["RealityWorldFresnel"]

"color sigma_a" [0.9480.030.015]

"color sigma_s" [1.00.2510.12]

"color g" [0 0 0] 

For the Skin surfaces, assuming you’ve set them to glossytranslucent in Reality, you’d add a line

Interior "SSS" 

after the NamedMaterial line in each Skin attribute block. In order to set the material to glossytranslucent you will need to check “translucency” and move the slider all the way to zero.

You will also have to edit the .lxs file and the line

VolumeIntegrator "multi" 

before the WorldBegin line.

Posted: 13 March 2013 03:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-02-24

Intertesting that you’re using sigma_s values of lower than 1. In the Luxrender documentation it states that this represents the interior density and that values higher than 1 are recommended for interior volumes for subsurface scatter. As a result, I’ve been using quite high values (in the region of 100+), so perhaps that’s part of my problem.

Time to retreat to the drawing board and see if I can’t remedy this unique problem.

Edit: One thing I couldn’t help noticing is you have comma’s in your sigma values. I too have a habit of adding them, but Lux doesn’t seem to like them and throws up an error if I use them. Every other source file I’ve seen simply uses a single space between values instead.

Signature 

Find me on DeviantArt

Posted: 13 March 2013 03:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  200
Joined  2010-12-22

First question of the new thread….

I’m having lots of luck now using UE and HSS, thanks to the help I have gotten here. (Thanks!)

However, I’m having trouble applying my UE lights to things like interior scenes, especially ones lit by ‘natural’ sun light. l typically end up with really crummy lighting compared to what I am used to, either too dark or washed out or otherwise rather ugly. I’ve been trying to setup lights to represent the light streaming through windows, but this rarely has the effect I am going for. In these cases, the UE actually somehow seems to make things look worse!

Do you guys have any general tips for using UE in a situation like this?

Posted: 13 March 2013 03:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-02-24

Are you using directional lighting? If so, try using soft shadows only and relying on your ‘sun’ to provide the major shadows in the scene.

Signature 

Find me on DeviantArt

Posted: 13 March 2013 07:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1308
Joined  2006-08-19

second test with the Luxus plugin, (well third, second got posted in the luxus discussion forum)

Image Attachments
luxtest4.jpg
 Signature 

http://rarethdigitalmusings.blogspot.com/

http://rareth1966.deviantart.com/gallery/

Posted: 13 March 2013 07:41 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1417
Joined  2008-11-10
MadisonXF - 13 March 2013 03:43 AM

First question of the new thread….

I’m having lots of luck now using UE and HSS, thanks to the help I have gotten here. (Thanks!)

However, I’m having trouble applying my UE lights to things like interior scenes, especially ones lit by ‘natural’ sun light. l typically end up with really crummy lighting compared to what I am used to, either too dark or washed out or otherwise rather ugly. I’ve been trying to setup lights to represent the light streaming through windows, but this rarely has the effect I am going for. In these cases, the UE actually somehow seems to make things look worse!

Do you guys have any general tips for using UE in a situation like this?

I’d use area lights (if you have them) then position them outside the windows. Then you would assign a light color to correspond to the time of day or type of light. This chart was posted a in the old forum..

EDIT: Got my wires crossed, but you can assign these colors to get the type of lighting you want.

Image Attachments
color_chart.jpg

Posted: 13 March 2013 08:05 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  2246
Joined  2007-12-13
HeraldOfFire - 13 March 2013 02:24 AM

Often your lighting rig will heavily contribute to the amount of noise in the final image as well. Patience is a virtue, but there’s no sense in creating a scene which will take 5 days to render when you can reduce the number of lights and get it done in one. This goes double for any scene which uses volumes such as fog, since Lux is trying to calculate how two sets of light passes through the same materials.

Been hard at work trying to get realistic subsurface scatter for skin in Luxrender lately, and my results have been very mixed. Hopefully I’ll hear back from one of the boffins of the Lux community to figure out the minor issues which currently plague me, but until then I’ll just keep experimenting. It’s the one linchpin which prevents me using Lux for anything besides scenery, since the people in the image look almost like plastic action figures compared to the scenery they’re placed in. It’s very distracting for me.

Here’s my latest attempt, but the SSS effect seems too subtle, so I might need to make some alterations. In an ideal world I’d have a muscle map texture I could place under the skin. The idea being that if the skin is translucent and the muscles underneath are accurately simulated, the result would be close to real life.

The composition is nice, but, I can’t help feeling that there’s a light missing. It looks somewhat dull.

CHEERS!

Posted: 13 March 2013 08:09 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2007-12-13
kyryia - 13 March 2013 02:26 AM

Here are my 2 contributions. Both done with reailty/luxrender. SSS handcoded in the .lxo

The top one seems to suffer from the same lack of light as Herald’s does. It probably cuts down render times, but, if you’re left with a dull looking render then whatever time it did take seems a little wasted. I do like the character though, she reminds me of the actress Dakota Blue Richards.

Your second render is much better as there is light and life in there and it makes for a very eyecatching scene.

CHEERS!

Posted: 13 March 2013 08:09 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-02-24
Rogerbee - 13 March 2013 08:05 AM

The composition is nice, bur, I can’t help feeling that there’s a light missing. It looks somewhat dull.

CHEERS!

That’s largely a result of the materials being used. I can adjust the tone mapping to make it brighter, but it ends up looking washed out and faded. Like I said, I’m experimenting mostly, trying to find the best settings for decent SSS effects using Luxrender.

Signature 

Find me on DeviantArt

Posted: 13 March 2013 08:11 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2007-12-13
Rareth - 13 March 2013 07:16 AM

second test with the Luxus plugin, (well third, second got posted in the luxus discussion forum)

Looking good,

I would change her hair though, too much of her face is hidden and the dark hair is disappearing into the background.

CHEERS!

Posted: 13 March 2013 08:17 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2007-12-13
HeraldOfFire - 13 March 2013 08:09 AM

That’s largely a result of the materials being used. I can adjust the tone mapping to make it brighter, but it ends up looking washed out and faded. Like I said, I’m experimenting mostly, trying to find the best settings for decent SSS effects using Luxrender.

No problem,

All the renders I seem to do are tests, so much so sometimes that I forget what it is I’m testing. I want to buy up a few more Lantios sets and maybe get into Lux when I’m more comfortable with everything else.

I’ll get there in the end, thing is, I have to concentrate on one project at one time or I lose focus, and that project isn’t 3D at the moment

CHEERS!

Posted: 13 March 2013 08:20 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2006-08-19
Rogerbee - 13 March 2013 08:17 AM
HeraldOfFire - 13 March 2013 08:09 AM

No problem,

All the renders I seem to do are tests, so much so sometimes that I forget what it is I’m testing. I want to buy up a few more Lantios sets and maybe get into Lux when I’m more comfortable with everything else.

I’ll get there in the end, thing is, I have to concentrate on one project at one time or I lose focus, and that project isn’t 3D at the moment

CHEERS!

I’m having to completly rethink lights for working with Lux, more is definitely not better.

Signature 

Posted: 13 March 2013 08:55 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-02-24
Rareth - 13 March 2013 08:20 AM

I’m having to completly rethink lights for working with Lux, more is definitely not better.

Quite the opposite in fact. You want as few lights as possible when working with any Lux scene. Since Lux simulates light accurately, it’s doing billions of calculations per light source. Too many lights and you get a mass of noise which can take thousands of samples to clear up. Some of my early works are still dotted with noise even after 3000+ samples per pixel and over 100 render hours. In fact, it’s so bad that all of the works I’ve posted both in these forums and on my DA account use a maximum of two lights. I have at least 15 different works which I’ll probably never post because they’re noise-ridden messes.

My current render, albeit using SSS, is clocking in at 516 samples and has been running for the last five hours and 37 minutes! It only uses a single light source, but has an efficiency rating of nearly 3000% and still looks as noisy as a test render.

For simple scenes, Lux can render pretty fast, but the more advanced stuff really does take incredible amounts of time to wash out all the noise. It’s one of the major reasons I’m far from abandoning 3Delight just yet. That and easier to use SSS :p

Signature 

Find me on DeviantArt

Posted: 13 March 2013 09:05 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 30 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2006-08-19
HeraldOfFire - 13 March 2013 08:55 AM
Rareth - 13 March 2013 08:20 AM

Quite the opposite in fact. You want as few lights as possible when working with any Lux scene. Since Lux simulates light accurately, it’s doing billions of calculations per light source. Too many lights and you get a mass of noise which can take thousands of samples to clear up. Some of my early works are still dotted with noise even after 3000+ samples per pixel and over 100 render hours. In fact, it’s so bad that all of the works I’ve posted both in these forums and on my DA account use a maximum of two lights. I have at least 15 different works which I’ll probably never post because they’re noise-ridden messes.

My current render, albeit using SSS, is clocking in at 516 samples and has been running for the last five hours and 37 minutes! It only uses a single light source, but has an efficiency rating of nearly 3000% and still looks as noisy as a test render.

For simple scenes, Lux can render pretty fast, but the more advanced stuff really does take incredible amounts of time to wash out all the noise. It’s one of the major reasons I’m far from abandoning 3Delight just yet. That and easier to use SSS :p

actually I think I got it right.. more is NOT better…  3Delight you need a bunch of lights (3 minimum to get decent lighting or use UE) with Lux one or two seems to work the best.

Signature 

2 of 99