Digital Art Zone

2 of 3
Daz Studio gets another LuxRender Plug-in
Posted: 04 May 2013 09:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  574
Joined  2007-08-14
holly wetcircuit - 04 May 2013 09:21 AM

I apologize Araneldon. I do not mean to ofend you. Just to “put my money where my mouth is” so to speak.

No need to apologize, really. I removed my post before reading your response. I’m trying to avoid getting into these internet arguments where I just end up looking like a fool eventually… I don’t know why but my mind seems to be slowly going bad or something.

Anyways, it’s all good smile

Signature 

These are not the tutorials you’re looking for. Move along.
My old profile

Posted: 04 May 2013 09:48 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1694
Joined  0

Yeah, I’ve seen gorgeous stuff with Poser, but I never got it to look like anything but butt ugly… lol. ohh

Rashad Carter got me to realize what is actually meant by “biased vs unbiased”..., needless to say I was biased. Hahaha.

It has to do with how the light is calculated. from frame to frame unbiased will be more consistent because of the way it is doing it’s math… There are lots of problems with Carrara’s (biased) GI renders, and the renderer provides “tricks” to get around the problem (like only using the original frame’s GI calculation because the next 20 calculations will all be different).

From what I understand if you are not using GI then there is no bias or unbias involved, that’s just “straight” 3D…. Why I say the “pissing contest” doesn’t actually prove the case for Carrara’s biased renders because (imo) the best looking renders were Carrara’s scene lights and no GI at all…. When we keep saying that this bias thing is a joke, what we really should be comparing is Carrara’s biased GI vs LuxRender’s unbiased GI…

I think if you are really into GI then you should grab the free beta for Luxus and have a play around…. It’s free for now (and it times out). And yes, it is kind of like watching paint dry, but so is Carrara’s GI at the highest settings….

Signature 

320+ TUTORIALS for Carrara at CARRARA CAFE
C3DE - CARRARA 3D EXPO MAGAZINE - the showcase for Carrara Artists

Posted: 04 May 2013 10:06 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5703
Joined  2006-08-27

I’m not really impressed by any that I’ve seen. The good ones I’ve seen posted in the DAZ forums without the ashing or speckles are usually tiny because it takes so long to render.

The other issue for me, is that I usually spend a lot of time on the shaders getting them to look the way I want in Carrara. These external renderers require that the shaders be rebuilt, and quite honestly from following a couple of the threads, the process doesn’t sound intuitive and at this time the functionality seems very limited compared to what I can do in Carrara. Personally, I’d rather wait for the technology of these renderers to mature, before I plunk down money for a plugin that allows you me to export a scene for a renderer that seems barely beyond the beta stage.

Signature 

I find it somewhat liberating not to be encumbered by accuracy.

Posted: 04 May 2013 10:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  0
evilproducer - 04 May 2013 10:06 AM

Personally, I’d rather wait for the technology of these renderers to mature, before I plunk down money for a plugin that allows you me to export a scene for a renderer that seems barely beyond the beta stage.

LOL well, seeing as how we can not plunk down money yet - not even for C8.5 - there is little here worthy of *serious* debate. LOL

DAZ has all but erased the Carrara community. We have like 10 regular posters and that’s it…. Gotta generate SOME kind of controversy so we know we’re still alive…

sick

Signature 

Posted: 04 May 2013 10:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-08-27
holly wetcircuit - 04 May 2013 10:38 AM
evilproducer - 04 May 2013 10:06 AM

Personally, I’d rather wait for the technology of these renderers to mature, before I plunk down money for a plugin that allows you me to export a scene for a renderer that seems barely beyond the beta stage.

LOL well, seeing as how we can not plunk down money yet - not even for C8.5 - there is little here worthy of *serious* debate. LOL

DAZ has all but erased the Carrara community. We have like 10 regular posters and that’s it…. Gotta generate SOME kind of controversy so we know we’re still alive…

sick

True enough about the community here! Truth be told I lurked here for probably a year and a half before I even posted anything, so the number of regular Carrara forum posters may not be a completely accurate snapshot.

I’m anxious to get the free scene I’ve been working on posted to see how many DLs I get. O.T. I know, but what’s the file size limit at the Cafe? Can I upload a zip?

Signature 

Posted: 04 May 2013 12:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  0

We tried to set the upload limit to 100MB, but it seems WP is thwarting us. The actual limit for user uploads seems to be around ~5MB. If you can break your scene into <5MB chunks then please upload! If your zip is bigger, and you can email or dropbox it to me I will put it up on the server and give you a link to share…

I don’t think there is any (public) record for the number of times a file is downloaded….

I’m also trying to look into a reward system for sharing…, there is a module that allows you to accumulate points for each post comment and upload. I’m not sure what could be used as rewards…. I’d also welcome any ideas or contributions to help. I’d just like to get people excited about using Carrara again….

Signature 

Posted: 04 May 2013 12:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-08-27
holly wetcircuit - 04 May 2013 12:22 PM

We tried to set the upload limit to 100MB, but it seems WP is thwarting us. The actual limit for user uploads seems to be around ~5MB. If you can break your scene into <5MB chunks then please upload! If your zip is bigger, and you can email or dropbox it to me I will put it up on the server and give you a link to share…

I don’t think there is any (public) record for the number of times a file is downloaded….

I’m also trying to look into a reward system for sharing…, there is a module that allows you to accumulate points for each post comment and upload. I’m not sure what could be used as rewards…. I’d also welcome any ideas or contributions to help. I’d just like to get people excited about using Carrara again….

I may just stick it up on ShareCG and DropBox. The scene file alone (un-zipped) is 54 MB saved locally. So the folder with the scene and assets un-zipped is 101.2 MB. The zipped version weighs in at 30.7 MB. Quite a bit smaller! Still, for ease of use I’d rather keep it in one folder. I will make sure I promote the heck out of it at the Cafe though.

Signature 

Posted: 04 May 2013 12:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  0

Yeah… I’m disappointed, still trying to get a work around…

But honestly I think the REAL untapped potential is in-the-moment file sharing, like a shader fix, or a portrait light set up…

Since all my freebies are like hair, the file size is like 38kb… I guess people really would rather have big complete scenes as freebies than small individual things like shaders and trees… downer

Signature 

Posted: 04 May 2013 02:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-08-27

I have scene components that I can share that easily fall into the file size limit. I had started building the scene for myself, but it was coming together so nicely that I thought, why not share?

Signature 

Posted: 04 May 2013 05:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  347
Joined  2007-07-31
evilproducer - 04 May 2013 12:30 PM

I may just stick it up on ShareCG and DropBox. The scene file alone (un-zipped) is 54 MB saved locally. So the folder with the scene and assets un-zipped is 101.2 MB. The zipped version weighs in at 30.7 MB. Quite a bit smaller! Still, for ease of use I’d rather keep it in one folder. I will make sure I promote the heck out of it at the Cafe though.

Can you expand on this subject please - I think I know what you are talking about but what is WP for example?
I presume this is a push for sharing carrara files ? If so It’s a brilliant idea because there could be so much useful stuff to share - not just scenes. We are all looking for ways of doing things so if we found a way why not share it. I’m talking maybe things like.

Smoke ,Explosions,Special lighting effects, water ( anyone made a really good looking animated ocean yet?)
This sort of contribution could save community members huge amounts of time experimenting - trying to reinvent the wheel etc.
Ive got some particle bubbles you might like:)

The main thing is getting it all in one place.Anychance it could be hosted at the cafe? It would be a really useful resource for Carrara users and when you see what Daz is doing for Studio ( videos / training etc ) maybe they could/should support something like this. Its not really competing with products they sell.
Other Companies more and more provide such facilities for their users.

Regards forum posts. Yes I’ve noticed a drop off with just a few of the same names appearing. That in itself is a bit daunting to me as a non professional because it appears like a closed club for a select few - matybe thats stupid but I have been put off by it and if you look at how many views DartenBecks Carrara help thread ( some 12000 odd ) there doesn’t seem a shortage of people visiting the forum.

By the way the new cafe webface looks good which I think is down to you holly ?

Just my ten centsworth

Signature 

http://bond3d.wix.com/carrarators#!home/mainPage

Posted: 04 May 2013 08:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  2112
Joined  2008-01-28

Holly Wroteth

I never use post-processing, that doesn’t really improve images. Post processing actually degrades color information. Unless you are going for a specific NPR “look”, post should never be necessary - get off the crutch, you’ll never learn to run!

Goes both ways. I use Carrara to improve my post work. Maybe Carrara is the crutch. wink

Signature 

http://andrewfinnie.blogspot.com.au/

Posted: 04 May 2013 08:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  0
0oseven - 04 May 2013 05:59 PM

Can you expand on this subject please - I think I know what you are talking about but what is WP for example?
I presume this is a push for sharing carrara files ? If so It’s a brilliant idea because there could be so much useful stuff to share - not just scenes. We are all looking for ways of doing things so if we found a way why not share it. I’m talking maybe things like.

Smoke ,Explosions,Special lighting effects, water ( anyone made a really good looking animated ocean yet?)
This sort of contribution could save community members huge amounts of time experimenting - trying to reinvent the wheel etc.
Ive got some particle bubbles you might like:)

The main thing is getting it all in one place.Anychance it could be hosted at the cafe? It would be a really useful resource for Carrara users and when you see what Daz is doing for Studio ( videos / training etc ) maybe they could/should support something like this. Its not really competing with products they sell.
Other Companies more and more provide such facilities for their users.

Regards forum posts. Yes I’ve noticed a drop off with just a few of the same names appearing. That in itself is a bit daunting to me as a non professional because it appears like a closed club for a select few - matybe thats stupid but I have been put off by it and if you look at how many views DartenBecks Carrara help thread ( some 12000 odd ) there doesn’t seem a shortage of people visiting the forum.

By the way the new cafe webface looks good which I think is down to you holly ?

Just my ten centsworth

YAY! MONEY! $0.10!!! lol

It’s about 4 of us volunteering to work on it. and DAZ 3D sponsors Cafe by paying for hosting and other necessities, but they are mostly hands-off on content because it’s really meant to be a community-driven site and a Carrara showcase - but they occaissionally “leak” some info there when it isn’t really time to make any official announcements…. So sort of the best of both worlds…

I’m mostly trying to organize the new “social” sections: new forums, user galleries, profiles, etc. but I’m definitely not alone on it… WP is WordPress - it’s the backbone software of the site and has a lot of plugin options… The upload bottleneck seems to be an issue with WP, but it might be the server or a number of other secret “settings”.... But things like particle fountains, and shaders and such should be well below the 5MB threshhold… The good thing is you can just upload a small file right in the conversation in a post…. New FREEPOSITORY is here:
http://carraracafe.com/freepository
Please upload!!

I agree there seem to be more lurkers, so I’d like to get some more fun activities going, some challenges or contests, and definitely more freebies… smile Right now the Luxus plugin is getting a lot of attention because it’s new to us…, so we just need new ways to refresh what people are doing with Carrara… Around here it tends to be a lot about the DAZ figures (understandably). They’re great, but there’s so much more to Carrara than content, which has always been the goal of Cafe…

Signature 

Posted: 04 May 2013 08:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  0
head wax - 04 May 2013 08:05 PM

Holly Wroteth

I never use post-processing, that doesn’t really improve images. Post processing actually degrades color information. Unless you are going for a specific NPR “look”, post should never be necessary - get off the crutch, you’ll never learn to run!

Goes both ways. I use Carrara to improve my post work. Maybe Carrara is the crutch. wink

I’d be interested in hearing how you use Carrara for post work! Yay Crutches!

Signature 

Posted: 04 May 2013 08:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  2112
Joined  2008-01-28

Heh, heh . But seriously, it’s just another tool in the box so to speak - though the box is getting pretty full I just noticed. 
Mind you, I keep my Carrara all shiny.

Signature 

http://andrewfinnie.blogspot.com.au/

Posted: 05 May 2013 03:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 30 ]
Total Posts:  10
Joined  2012-02-04

On the lurking question, I have been lurking for well over a year .  I rarely participate because you guys are so far in advance of my Carrara knowledge that you answer stuff well before I can even think of the question! I’m sure I am not the only “lurker” who really appreciates the dedication, effort and sheer enthusiasm that you all bring to this forum.  Please, Please, Please don’t stop!

A distant admirer grin

Signature 

Elephantboy
Carrara 8.5, Shade 13 and Modo 701.
Useless with them all!

2 of 3