Will Carrara ever get one?

http://www.daz3d.com/luxus/

its ok if you want to watch paint dry grin

Posted: 12 March 2013 04:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  16369
Joined  2003-10-09

The Vendor did answer this question in his Commercial thread here.

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/viewthread/18555/#272908

Signature 

Chohole’s Space        NeilV’s Freebies and stuff        Autumn Bryce Rendering Challenge        October Freebie Challenge
My DAZ 3D Gallery    11915

Posted: 12 March 2013 05:44 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  177
Joined  2004-10-05

by the way, I was never interested in daz studio, so I don’t know how it works, but to try that new render plug in,with a carrara scene, the only way is to import in daz studio, via obj, and loosing all the carrara materials?..

Posted: 12 March 2013 07:00 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1231
Joined  2004-11-07

Why? Yes luxrender looks better then studio, but not carrara, so what would be the point?

Posted: 12 March 2013 07:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  177
Joined  2004-10-05

well,it’s difficult to know, like that, on some poors renders, if it’s , or not, better… the only way is to try, with his own scene, and see if things are improved, or no… So , my question was: is it very complicated to import a carrara scene in studio?..;

Posted: 12 March 2013 07:22 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1231
Joined  2004-11-07
celmar - 12 March 2013 07:10 AM

well,it’s difficult to know, like that, on some poors renders, if it’s , or not, better… the only way is to try, with his own scene, and see if things are improved, or no… So , my question was: is it very complicated to import a carrara scene in studio?..;

Depends on a lot of things but yes. It would be much easier to build the scene in studio then export to carrara. What I have seen of the luxrender renders the lighting looks much better then studios, but textures don’t look as good as carrara’s. The renders I have seen just look like studio renders with better lighting.

Posted: 03 May 2013 05:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  138
Joined  2005-08-26
ManStan - 12 March 2013 07:00 AM

Why? Yes luxrender looks better then studio, but not carrara, so what would be the point?

Can we see some comparisons? It’s been a LONG time since I’ve seen a Carrara render. Most are “postworked” in photoshop. It’d be cool to confirm that statement with a few side-by-side renders. Done in Carrara and a LuxRender render. No postwork involved, lets see Carrara/lux skills, not photoshop skills.

**edit**
I should redefine that as “Carrara/Daz skills” or “Carrara/Poser” skills since Lux is simply the render engine. The comparing images could use either Luxus, Reality 2.5 for Daz, or Reality 3 for Poser to compete. I think that’d actually make for an interesting contest! Looking at raw, unpostworked images could show off the artists skills as well as each program’s strengths and weaknesses.

Signature 

My Renders: My DeviantArt Gallery
Revenger is always looking to meet 3d artists of all levels. FB me if you want to share, or just hangout in the background: http://www.facebook.com/revenger681

Posted: 03 May 2013 05:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5690
Joined  2006-08-27
revenger681 - 03 May 2013 05:11 PM
ManStan - 12 March 2013 07:00 AM

Can we see some comparisons? It’s been a LONG time since I’ve seen a Carrara render. Most are “postworked” in photoshop. It’d be cool to confirm that statement with a few side-by-side renders. Done in Carrara and a LuxRender render. No postwork involved, lets see Carrara/lux skills, not photoshop skills.

**edit**
I should redefine that as “Carrara/Daz skills” or “Carrara/Poser” skills since Lux is simply the render engine. The comparing images could use either Luxus, Reality 2.5 for Daz, or Reality 3 for Poser to compete. I think that’d actually make for an interesting contest! Looking at raw, unpostworked images could show off the artists skills as well as each program’s strengths and weaknesses.

Search the forums. There was a render challenge pissing contest similar to your suggestion a couple months ago. Meh.

Here’s one I did last night. I did paint out a collision artifact where a foot was poking through a stirrup, but I didn’t touch levels, color, contrast- anything. It’s for a freebie scene I’m putting together so I’m trying to get some promo renders without postwork.

Since the scene and render utilizes plants, volumetrics etc. and uses absolutely no GI of any kind whatsoever, and rendered in a little over two hours on my ten year old computer, it’s probably not fair to compare. I don’t see how it could stand up to the modern un-biased render engines. wink

Image Attachments
Jousting_copy.jpg
 Signature 

I find it somewhat liberating not to be encumbered by accuracy.

Posted: 03 May 2013 06:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  482
Joined  2013-02-02
scottidog2 - 11 March 2013 11:42 PM

Daz Studio gets another Render Plug-in.
Will Carrara ever get one?

http://www.daz3d.com/luxus/

Now’s the time to try it and give feedback
-> http://www.daz3d.com/forums/viewthread/20383/

Signature 

-Spheric

Posted: 04 May 2013 08:17 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1694
Joined  0

This was the pissing contest: http://www.daz3d.com/forums/viewthread/17205/
I know “all renderers are capable” blah blah and “a great artist can paint the mona lisa with child’s crayons…” etc etc… But when you look at the pics posted in that thread (which was for comparing BIASED vs UNBIASED renderers, but didn’t stick specifically to that contest) I think it is pretty OBVIOUS which program *needs* a different renderer…. Based on the pics posted in that thread, there is no contest. see for yourself.

Carrara has an awesome renderer, but starts to fall apart with the GI and IBL especially under animation where frames can be drastically different (flicker, crawling ash, etc)... thing is Carrara’s scene lights and the original renderer are SO GOOD that you can make fantastically realistic renders without GI in a fraction of the time…. You need to practice and learn to use those lights. It’s not a “push here dummy” solution, but imo it is the *best looking* solution.

I never use post-processing, that doesn’t really improve images. Post processing actually degrades color information. Unless you are going for a specific NPR “look”, post should never be necessary - get off the crutch, you’ll never learn to run!

I played around with Luxus for Carrara. When it becomes available I will buy it. IMO it is not “better” than Carrara’s hdr/IBL GI, but it should be more consistent (that is the whole concept of “unbiased” - it is more consistent). It has a different look. That alone is worth the price of admission. Not to replace, but to have the options when you want the different look…. Carrara’s GI is “soft” and can be very pretty, but takes forever to get the ashes out…. LuxRender has no ashes but it has “speckles”. It’s a different look.

Below are 3 renders: Luxus, Carrara’s GI, and Carrara’s scene lights. It’s not a scientific comparison but I suggest you grab a copy of the beta plugin for Lux and have a play with it. It’s fun! If you are using Carrara’s GI in your scenes you owe it to yourself to try to duplicate the look without GI, and also with LuxRender…. If there are options, why not explore them?

Image Attachments
lux01.pngDoc21.pngfake_GI_2.png
 Signature 

320+ TUTORIALS for Carrara at CARRARA CAFE
C3DE - CARRARA 3D EXPO MAGAZINE - the showcase for Carrara Artists

Posted: 04 May 2013 08:51 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  574
Joined  2007-08-14

Nothing to see here.

Signature 

These are not the tutorials you’re looking for. Move along.
My old profile

Posted: 04 May 2013 09:05 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  374
Joined  2006-02-03

Holly writes a great artist can paint the mona lisa with child’s crayons…”

heh heh

You always brighten up my day Holly. smile

Posted: 04 May 2013 09:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  0
araneldon - 04 May 2013 08:51 AM

These biased vs unbiased arguments are funny. They are different tools and it’s meaningless to say one is better than the other without any context or qualifiers. Unbiased is hard to beat if you want photorealism, otherwise you’re probably better off using something else.

Holly’s first render is the most realistic by far, but someone might argue that artistically the other two are better due to more dramatic lighting. Obviously a similar more dramatic result could have easily been achieved in the unbiased render.

By the way, to say that Carrara’s renderer is better than 3Delight is… debatable. It’s certainly faster in many (not all) cases, but speed isn’t everything.

I wasn’t saying the renderer is necessarily better in fact I deliberately prefaced with the opposite, but go look at the images submitted to that thread and then come back here and tell me there are not “problems” with D|S. Whether those problems are the renderer or the users is open for debate, but i know what I’m looking at.

Perhaps SPEED IS EVERYTHING when it comes to learning your tools. If it takes half a day to see your results, how can users get better?

Just general light qualities are not what is being debated (I have no experience with Lux and I post because you can easily see the speckles. If you say that Lux’s renderer delivered “the most realistic by far” and that was my very first render, then my friend you have 100% made the case why anyone would want the LuxRender addon. It delivers “the most realistic by far” even when someone is completely cluless as to what they are doing, and flying completely blind with no previews…. Think about that.

Open the images full size and you will see the very REAL problems with Carrara’s GI. That pic took over 2 hours to render and it is unuseable due to the ashes. In comparison the “straight” render took about 2min…. Yeah SPEED IS EVERYTHING, I’m sorry it just is. When you need to learn and you need results, being held back by a slow renderer has OBVIOUS detriments - as evidenced in the “pissing contest” thread.

It’s cute to try to say “all is equal” koombiya, let’s hold hand and jump in the fountain… etc… But in the real world when you are looking at the results, no not all is equal. There is something VERY wrong with the D|S renders, and I’m not saying it is the capability of the renderer…. I’m saying in very practical real world terms that D|S’s render speed is probably holding people back.

Signature 

Posted: 04 May 2013 09:21 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  0

I am sorry Araneldon has decided to remove his comments. I’m leaving them for now in my reply because I think whathe says is perfectly valid, and true… At least in theory, up to a point.

I was also very skeptical about using another renderer other than Carrara’s, so I tried it.  *shrug* That my first render is worth posting at all, yeah ok. I’m convinced there is potential there. That’s what happens sometimes when you try to back up your ideas with actual practice, sometimes I’m wrong…. I don’t think I’ll abandon my “straight” renders in Carrara because it still delivers the most control in a fraction of the time. I animate. These GI renders just aren’t going to happen except for the occaisional “beauty” shot….

Design Acrobat - 04 May 2013 09:05 AM

Holly writes a great artist can paint the mona lisa with child’s crayons…”

heh heh

You always brighten up my day Holly. smile

I apologize Araneldon. I do not mean to ofend you. Just to “put my money where my mouth is” so to speak.

Signature 

Posted: 04 May 2013 09:33 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  574
Joined  2007-08-14

Seems to me that clueless people do bad renders no matter what software they use, I really don’t see much of a difference. Maybe there is more crap done with DAZ Studio because the software is free.

Stonemason has some DAZ Studio (and Poser! ick) renders in his gallery, don’t know any others because I generally don’t look at other people’s work.

Signature 

These are not the tutorials you’re looking for. Move along.
My old profile

1 of 3