Digital Art Zone

1 of 3
I might have been hacked.
Posted: 11 March 2013 10:18 AM   [ Ignore ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2834
Joined  2006-07-31

Just currently my email gave me a bunch of failure-to-deliver autoreplies for tickets I didn’t submit and emails I didn’t send. If you get any unautorized email from me, DON"T PRESS anything in that link and better just burn it without opening.

Signature 

Original Genesis shape and Genesis morphs transfer to G2F/G2M, G2F/G2M clones for Genesis
a way to transfer morphs to Genesis without Gen-X

Posted: 11 March 2013 10:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-07-31

It looks like somebody sent a ton of spam from my email. Anybody has any advice how to clean this mess?

Signature 

Original Genesis shape and Genesis morphs transfer to G2F/G2M, G2F/G2M clones for Genesis

Posted: 11 March 2013 10:32 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-07-31

And it opened some support tickets with same glibberish O_o

Signature 

Posted: 11 March 2013 10:35 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6652
Joined  2005-08-15

I had this once a few years ago, and my ISP wasn’t really that interested.

I told them I wasn’t sending the emails, and they were able to stop them somehow, but they never used my DAZ 3D account or anything like that.  They just used my name to send out thousands of spams through my ISP.

I think you should get onto your ISP as soon as possible to see what they say about it.

Posted: 11 March 2013 10:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-07-31

ISP you mean my internet provider or my email provider?

Signature 

Posted: 11 March 2013 10:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6652
Joined  2005-08-15

Ah, mine were one and the same.  If you use a different email provider, I would contact them, if only to let them know that it is not you that is doing the spamming, but they may well know that already.  I am sure they can block the spammers without blocking you as well.

Posted: 11 March 2013 10:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  390
Joined  2012-02-05

Change your password. Use a much stronger one. If you had 6 characters before, use 8 or more (as many as you believe you can commit to memory and the system allows). Change the security questions, too. Report the problem to both your ISP and email provider if you can. They may do zilch, but at the very least you informed them and it’s on record. Tell all your contacts that your account was compromised. Make sure none of the drafts are still in your email’s folder (especially the ones with file attachments).

I had one of my email and twitter accounts hacked once, and boy, I learned to be paranoid about them pretty fast.

Signature 

Follow the exploits of SERVANT in this digital comic series! The First Issue is Free to Download!
or as a webcomic at http://servant.thecomicseries.com/

Check out my Deviantart Gallery, Facebook page, and over at the DAZ Art Studio.

Posted: 11 March 2013 11:00 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-07-31

Does it endanger my sensitive information (accounts, CC and other things) or people who got the spam?

Signature 

Posted: 11 March 2013 11:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4545
Joined  2007-09-13

There are several ways this can be done and only a few of them involve any actual hacks.

The key thing to know is where they are actually coming from. 

They could be coming from your computer, in which case you are infected with malware/virus/trojan/worm/etc.

They could be coming from your email account (if a web based email…Gmail, Yahoo, etc) in which case there’s a chance that someone got the password to that account/took over it/etc. 

They could be coming from anywhere and are just using your email address as the ‘sender’...this is the most common and since you are listed as the sender, you are getting the bounces, as well as the blame.

If you are using an ISP provided email account, contact them to see if the garbage actually was sent from your account.  If you are using a webmail, like Gmail, then you need to change your passwords (use another machine to do so, at least until you make sure you are not infected with anything).

Then, while waiting to find out where they came from…scan your computer with at least one AV and something like MBAM (Malwarebytes AntiMalware).

Signature 

1432 old posts

My ShareCG gallery.

Just because something costs a lot, doesn’t mean it’s the best…

It just means it’s expensive.

Posted: 11 March 2013 11:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  992
Joined  2011-05-19

Your email server may have been spoofed without actually accessing your account,,,so you need to determine if your email data was accessed by looking at the server access logs.  ISP should be able to help with this unless you are using web based email like g-mail.
However If my email was hacked,.... I would first off request new account numbers from my bank on any accounts that transactions that were performed on-line. Its remote but the possibility exists that any info gleaned from receipts in email could be joined with other prior stolen CC data to build a credit profile match. Do this in person at your bank.  Also change windows, paypal and your on-line bank passowrd -  HOWEVER DON’T DO THIS UNTIL YOU KNOW YOUR PC IS SECURE.  Run malwarebytes.org and something good like avg antivirus on your system to ensure the hacker didnt plant (via email link or malware).a trojan keylogger that could/may if present capture new passwords.

Signature 

Enjoy my games & freebie content created with DAZ 3D:

3dSkyDome.com - Curiosity killed the browser, 3d R&D

3Dnld My Freebies & Games - Farm Peeps Farm Theme 3D Stuff

Posted: 11 March 2013 11:22 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-07-31

Some of my friends told me that they got some spam from me. And I got a bunch of failure notices that all had emails listed (as carbon copy subjects) which I know and used to write to before, and failure to deliver notices look genuine because I know that those emails no longer exist.

I’m running Symantec right now and I have Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and Spybot…

Signature 

Posted: 11 March 2013 11:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15992
Joined  2003-10-09

Yahoo had a problem like this with some of their users in January.  They apparently dealt with it themselves, but it sounded very much like the issue that you are having now, with users accounts sending out spam messages. THere are still sporadic cases of this happening even now with Yahoo, although I have been lucky so far.

It may help if you google search to see if your email provider is having a similar issue

Signature 

Chohole’s Space        Neil’Vs Freebies and stuff        Autumn Bryce Rendering Challenge        September Freebie Challenge
My DAZ 3D Gallery    11915

Posted: 11 March 2013 11:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-07-31

I am on Yahoo :/

Signature 

Posted: 11 March 2013 11:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15992
Joined  2003-10-09

Ah, then the problem is from the email provider I am afraid,  I have been lucky and not got caught uup in it (yet). Some people are saying that it is still happening sporadically. Last report I found for Yahoo was dated the 9th March.

Edited to add that Yahoo were supposed to have built in a fix, but it wasn’t apparently very successful.

Signature 

Chohole’s Space        Neil’Vs Freebies and stuff        Autumn Bryce Rendering Challenge        September Freebie Challenge
My DAZ 3D Gallery    11915

Posted: 11 March 2013 11:35 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-07-31

I checked recent login ins and I found that somebody logged into my mail from Urugway
11:44 AM Yahoo! Mobile Logged In Uruguay

:/
What should I do?

Signature 

Posted: 11 March 2013 11:44 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4545
Joined  2007-09-13

Change your Yahoo password…from a different machine.  Continue with the scans…

Remove your Yahoo address book.  Yeah, it’s an inconvenience, but if there’s nothing there, there is no way to send anything to anyone…

Signature 

1432 old posts

My ShareCG gallery.

Just because something costs a lot, doesn’t mean it’s the best…

It just means it’s expensive.

1 of 3