Digital Art Zone

3 of 6
Eluxir - Hypergraph for LuxRender Beta
Posted: 16 March 2013 03:17 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 31 ]
Total Posts:  24
Joined  2010-08-31
Hallo SpericLabs,
2 wishes for next Versions:
1. It is possible that In the luxus surface brick are float inputs to dmscale and dmoffset? So we can save 2 bricks setting up displacement.
2. Don't write default values to the lxs-file. LuxRender will save a lot of time.

Posted: 16 March 2013 06:06 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 32 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  139
Joined  0
Just started looking at Eluxir - looks like it has a lot of promise.

I think I found a problem with the glossy translucent brick - if I plug one into the Luxus surface then export the Lux code from the surface it comes up correctly as glossy translucent material. If I apply the shader to a surface and export the scene to Lux, the code in the .lxs is for glossy material.

A couple of things that I couldn't see how to do:

1) scale a colour by a float - can scale two colours or two floats, but if I have a diffuse colour map and a diffuse strength float I can't seem to combine them.

2) get a float from a colour or colour from a float - in the standard shadermixer bricks don't these automagically convert by using the average going to float and greyscale going to colour? I guess this would fix my first point too.

Also, I'd find it useful to have the texture gamma exposed as an input in the image map bricks, and to expose the value from render settings in a variable brick so I could plug it in to the image map.

Posted: 16 March 2013 09:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 33 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  62
Joined  2004-12-26
czexana - 16 March 2013 06:06 AM

1) scale a colour by a float - can scale two colours or two floats, but if I have a diffuse colour map and a diffuse strength float I can't seem to combine them.

2) get a float from a colour or colour from a float - in the standard shadermixer bricks don't these automagically convert by using the average going to float and greyscale going to colour? I guess this would fix my first point too.

Standard shader mixer bricks are able to do this conversion under the hood because they are actually writing code for the final shader. The Luxrender doesn't have a shader language (well it has c++ compiled into the program but that's not quite a good experience for you to have to recompile Luxrender in order to use a custom Eluxir material). So the operations that are available are more limited. Turning a float into a color can be done with a simple mix texture, make the color inputs black and white and hand in the float as a mix value.

By the way Luxrender doesn't actual work with the same rgb"colors" as your standard biased renderers, it works with spectrum. During read it turns user supplied colors into these and at the end it bakes these spectrum into colors for your display/image, but they are a bit of a different animal. There's not a Luxrender supplied conversion from spectrum to float that I've seen and you'd probably not want to use it if it did as its a lot of computation to get a value, when just supplying a value would be more efficient.

I believe there are convertor for float and color(spectrum) into fresnel textures. These should be in the brickyard.

I agree though that bricks that took one/three floats to define a color would really useful. Especially because of the above mentioned issues.

Posted: 16 March 2013 09:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 34 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  481
Joined  2013-02-02
version 0.0.0.4, All links updated.

-> scale parameter added to constant color.

I went this route instead of the 3 floats. It was easier, but also because it still allows one to see the "base" color. I don't see 0.000045 0.000132 0.0000345 so well.
 Signature 

-Spheric

Posted: 16 March 2013 10:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 35 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  665
Joined  2006-11-10
Awesome, thank you!
 Signature 

Old post count: 3,394,206

Posted: 17 March 2013 08:22 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 36 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  139
Joined  0
ketthrove - 16 March 2013 09:18 PM
czexana - 16 March 2013 06:06 AM

Standard shader mixer bricks are able to do this conversion under the hood because they are actually writing code for the final shader. The Luxrender doesn't have a shader language (well it has c++ compiled into the program but that's not quite a good experience for you to have to recompile Luxrender in order to use a custom Eluxir material). So the operations that are available are more limited. Turning a float into a color can be done with a simple mix texture, make the color inputs black and white and hand in the float as a mix value.

Ok, hadn't thought of that way, thanks! I see now that you can also scale a colour texture by a float texture in the same way by mixing with black. It just takes looking sideways at the problem.
tongue rolleye
ketthrove - 16 March 2013 09:18 PM
By the way Luxrender doesn't actual work with the same rgb"colors" as your standard biased renderers, it works with spectrum. During read it turns user supplied colors into these and at the end it bakes these spectrum into colors for your display/image, but they are a bit of a different animal. There's not a Luxrender supplied conversion from spectrum to float that I've seen and you'd probably not want to use it if it did as its a lot of computation to get a value, when just supplying a value would be more efficient.

I believe there are convertor for float and color(spectrum) into fresnel textures. These should be in the brickyard.

I agree though that bricks that took one/three floats to define a color would really useful. Especially because of the above mentioned issues.

I hadn't been able to figure out what the fresnel bricks were for I must confess. I'll see what I can do with these.

Posted: 17 March 2013 09:37 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 37 ]
Rank
Joined  2004-12-26
czexana - 17 March 2013 08:22 AM

I hadn't been able to figure out what the fresnel bricks were for I must confess. I'll see what I can do with these.

They are used in various situations but the big one is metal2. They let you define a metal with a color or value instead of a luxpop or sofa file.

Posted: 17 March 2013 12:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 38 ]
Joined  2010-08-31
I have a problem with file dialogs in eluxir (see attached file).
The dialog is not at top. All bricks I insert after this are on top.
Image Attachments
dialog.jpg

Posted: 17 March 2013 12:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 39 ]
Rank
Joined  2004-12-26
DrPingy - 17 March 2013 12:01 PM
I have a problem with file dialogs in eluxir (see attached file).
The dialog is not at top. All bricks I insert after this are on top.

This is a studio bug. You can work around it by selecting a brick an then in the context menu select bring to front.

Posted: 17 March 2013 01:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 40 ]
Joined  2010-08-31
Thanks for the tip. It works.

Posted: 19 March 2013 01:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 41 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1314
Joined  2006-08-19
well I can make things work to a degree, the implications are fantastic...

Signature 

http://rarethdigitalmusings.blogspot.com/

http://www.daz3d.com/gallery/users/35801

Posted: 30 March 2013 01:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 42 ]
RankRank
Joined  2006-11-10
Any chance of an update to the beta soon? smile
 Signature 

Posted: 30 March 2013 02:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 43 ]
Joined  2010-08-31
Or any change of the release?
Or release date?

Posted: 30 March 2013 05:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 44 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  481
Joined  2013-02-02
0.0.0.5 is Up. All links updated.

GlossyCoating is added and seems to work.

The warning on ConstantColor is fixed.

fresnel name brick is according to spec and works, but throws error(I think LuxRender is in the wrong and should not be throwing errors in this case). The error seems to be safely ignored.

And the plugin will timeout at the end of April.

And a red metal luxball with a glossy coating.
[ Edited: 30 March 2013 06:31 PM by SphericLabs ]
Image Attachments
red_metal.png
 Signature 

-Spheric

Posted: 30 March 2013 06:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 45 ]
RankRank
Joined  2006-11-10
Hurray! Thanks, that looks great!
 Signature