Digital Art Zone

1 of 4
Luxus Plugin Vs Reality Plugin for using Daz Studio with Lux Render
Posted: 11 March 2013 08:24 AM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  30
Joined  2006-09-02

Today it has been known the new Luxus plugin to be able to use the external Lux Render in a much easier way.

Luxus allows you to render a DAZ Studio scene to an image using LuxRender. Luxus will automatically translate your scene to LuxRender, or you can control the translation by adding parameters specific to LuxRender in your DAZ Studio scene.

But as may probably know this is not the first one, as before there was available the Reality 2 plugin, although is the first one to be available in the DAZ store.

So I wonder which one is better, easier and have more features and gives better quality or is chosen to work with. 

Perhaps is too early to know the best of these two, and I do not have any experience with Reality and Lux Render

So I am asking here to others that have already much experience and have used much before the Reality Engine and what they think about the new Luxus Plugin.

One thing I can easily compare is the price, as Luxus cost $19.95 (today with 30% or 50% discount) and the Reality cost $59.95, so the Luxus is much cheaper, although what is important I think is how good Luxus is and although it may be much cheaper, it may be less good than Reality.

Please, would be much appreciated the possible comments of Reality users that have also have seen or bought this Luxus and would want to share their opinions and experiences, and render examples if you want and have them.

Thanks very much

Posted: 11 March 2013 08:29 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7082
Joined  2005-08-15

Sorry, my post was to the Members forum.

Posted: 11 March 2013 09:01 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  2196
Joined  2011-11-16

Posting links to Members Only forums don’t help many people.

Signature 

Just because I may have a strong opinion doesn’t make it any more (or less) correct than any other, just that I feel passionately a particular way at that moment.

Posted: 11 March 2013 09:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  17066
Joined  2003-10-09

This thread has been left as a comparison thread, whereas the other thread is a general discussion thread.

Signature 

Chohole’s Space        NeilV’s Freebies and stuff        Winter Bryce Rendering Challenge        December Freebie Challenge
My DAZ 3D Gallery    11915

Posted: 11 March 2013 09:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  527
Joined  2013-02-02

Hi everyone.

Both Luxus and Reality are simply file translators.  LuxRender is what does the render.

In comparing, you would probably want to limit the comparison to
* automatic translation of existing materials
* manual material setup process
* integration.
* installation and usability
* does it do what you want.

Signature 

-Spheric

Posted: 11 March 2013 09:25 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2011-11-16

The actual LuxRender engine is a separate purchase correct?

Signature 

Just because I may have a strong opinion doesn’t make it any more (or less) correct than any other, just that I feel passionately a particular way at that moment.

Posted: 11 March 2013 09:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRank
Joined  2013-02-02
Gedd - 11 March 2013 09:25 AM

LuxRender is a GPL product.  Its free
- http://www.luxrender.net/en_GB/index

Signature 

-Spheric

Posted: 11 March 2013 09:28 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2011-11-16

Thank you, knew that but forgot it. Including the link was helpful also smile

Signature 

Posted: 11 March 2013 09:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-08-15

When I use the ‘hybrid’ option from inside Luxus, the results seem to be worse thatn with the CPU alone.

Is there another setting I need to use.  I remember using this before with Lux, and it resulted in a faster and better render.

Posted: 11 March 2013 09:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  28
Joined  2006-04-08
Gedd - 11 March 2013 09:25 AM

There is no charge for Luxrender.

My question is will this Luxus work in DS3 Advanced? Reality has dropped support for version 3, and there were a whole boatload of issues rendering older meshes in Version 2. Those of us that don’t use Studio 4 are still limited to Reality 1.25, and have to stick with Lux .8. I’d love to use a newer version…

..Joe

Signature 

“Some people are like a Slinky… not really good for anything, but you still can’t help but smile when you shove them down the stairs”

Posted: 11 March 2013 09:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-08-15

It says DAZ Studio 4.5 on the Product Page, so I don;t imagine it works in DS4.0 either, sorry

Posted: 11 March 2013 09:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2617
Joined  2007-12-07

As they stand at the moment (I have Reality 2.5 and Luxus) they both, in gross terms, do exactly the same thing: they take the scene within DAZ Studio and submit it to LuxRender.  The approach taken is different, with Luxus visibly extending the Surfaces/Props tabs within DAZ Studio to allow detailed ‘tinkering’ with material/light definitions for LuxRender.  Reality does something similar but ‘hides the mechanics’ under the covers.

Luxus exposes some of the inner settings of LuxRender so some things can be done without the need to hand edit the .lxo file (which, for some things, you need to do if you want/need them when using Reality).

How each product deals with DAZ Studio material settings will also vary - they cannot help but do so! - and to get the best results will require modifying the settings on a per-surface basis.  We do a lot of that in Reality, which can, in a large scene get a little confusing with all the material zones, whereas with Luxus you’ll ‘apply’ Luxus/LuxRender material extensions to each material you deem needs it and adjust those settings.  Both settings will get saved (I am assuming!) with a scene, so no fundamental differences there.

Luxus is another tool in the box, and from initial (very short) glance a worthy one.

Signature 

Some writings by a friend:
http://www.lizardsofthehost.co.uk/11.html
http://www.lizardsofthehost.co.uk/13.html
http://www.lizardsofthehost.co.uk/7.html

Posted: 11 March 2013 10:13 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRank
Joined  2013-02-02
SimonJM - 11 March 2013 09:43 AM

As they stand at the moment (I have Reality 2.5 and Luxus) they both, in gross terms, do exactly the same thing: they take the scene within DAZ Studio and submit it to LuxRender.  The approach taken is different, with Luxus visibly extending the Surfaces/Props tabs within DAZ Studio to allow detailed ‘tinkering’ with material/light definitions for LuxRender.  Reality does something similar but ‘hides the mechanics’ under the covers.

Luxus exposes some of the inner settings of LuxRender so some things can be done without the need to hand edit the .lxo file (which, for some things, you need to do if you want/need them when using Reality).

How each product deals with DAZ Studio material settings will also vary - they cannot help but do so! - and to get the best results will require modifying the settings on a per-surface basis.  We do a lot of that in Reality, which can, in a large scene get a little confusing with all the material zones, whereas with Luxus you’ll ‘apply’ Luxus/LuxRender material extensions to each material you deem needs it and adjust those settings.  Both settings will get saved (I am assuming!) with a scene, so no fundamental differences there.

Luxus is another tool in the box, and from initial (very short) glance a worthy one.

Thanks for the words and you understand Luxus.

The settings are saved with the scene and you can save out shader and material presets to use other places.  Its nice.

Signature 

-Spheric

Posted: 11 March 2013 10:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  748
Joined  2010-03-13

The Luxus plugin seems to be more closely integrated into Daz Studio - especially due to the surface tab and scripted render tab use, which is a bit similar approach like Tofusan’s LuxRenderDS plugin took (still love said plugin and missing it dearly in the higher Daz Studio versions). With Reality I kind of dreaded this ‘separate’ plugin window to adjust materials - just due to the way I work with Daz Studio.

I would like to know some bits if possible:
- Does the Daz Studio integrated copy from/paste to surface include the Luxus information when copying and also does it apply them to materials on paste, which didn’t have the Luxus information before (I assume it does, as it also preserves them on saving presets) ?
- Is there a (reasonable) automatic conversion of materials present, if the Luxus material information is not manually adjusted? Perhaps some render examples of automatic conversion versus manual ‘tuning’?
- Which generic shader types of Daz Studio does Luxus support? E.g. I am using pwSurface2 and uberSurface2 shaders frequently in Daz Studio itself, would I be able to add Luxus information to the surfaces in such a case?
- Are lights getting transferred (if they are reasonable), e.g. uberArea light planes, uberEnvironment as IBL lights etc.?
- Which GFX hardware modes of LuxRender (e.g. SLG only?) does Luxus support?

I think that is it for now, I can probably come up with more questions later wink

Posted: 11 March 2013 10:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  366
Joined  2011-05-27

I am assuming they both render the same, by using samples?  Yes?  If so, I am wondering if there is any difference in how fast they are.  Does one render faster than the other?  Inquiring minds want to know…....

grin

Signature 

DAZ Studio 4 Pro user, Poser Pro 2012 user, Bryce 7 Pro user, Vue 8 Complete user, Photoshop CS4 user.

Posted: 11 March 2013 10:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  28
Joined  2006-04-08
JimmyC_2009 - 11 March 2013 09:43 AM

It says DAZ Studio 4.5 on the Product Page, so I don;t imagine it works in DS4.0 either, sorry

Yeah, I was just hoping…

Yet another method by which DAZ shoots itself in the foot. There is a huge community that won’t go to 4.0 or 4.5 because of the horrid, laothesome interface. With the surfeit of Genesis-only products, and now this, it’s amazing how much money DAZ is willing to lose by trying to force users to move up to a version they hate.

Thanks,

..Joe

Signature 

“Some people are like a Slinky… not really good for anything, but you still can’t help but smile when you shove them down the stairs”

1 of 4