60 of 100
Luxus discussion
Posted: 24 March 2013 03:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 886 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5453
Joined  2006-02-20
SphericLabs - 23 March 2013 12:50 PM

The next build, which you should get soon, will properly linearize the colors.  The experts had to beat me over the head a few times, but now I understand it.

Thanks for being so active! And thanks for the phrasing of the second sentence - it made me grin. LOL

Signature 

I like Bryce, DazStudio, Poser and Vue ... in alphabetical order. And I would probably like Carrara too, if I could find the time to become acquainted with it. Peace?

Posted: 24 March 2013 06:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 887 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  2259
Joined  2007-12-07
Kerya - 24 March 2013 03:14 AM
SphericLabs - 23 March 2013 12:50 PM

The next build, which you should get soon, will properly linearize the colors.  The experts had to beat me over the head a few times, but now I understand it.

Thanks for being so active! And thanks for the phrasing of the second sentence - it made me grin. LOL

It made me chuckle too!  It’s also a feeling I know only too well wink  Been on so many IT courses I have lost count and like school I often just sat there and stayed quiet if something was not clear.  After a while I started interrupting and asking for clarification, often several time (there are times when a concept just does not stick until explained in a certain way!).  It was amazing the number of times people would come up to me in a break and say, “wow, thanks for asking about that, I did not understand what the instructor meant ...”

So yes, even if I had to gve the experts the stick and lean forward to give them a better aim, I know the feeling! smile

Signature 

Some writings by a friend:
http://www.lizardsofthehost.co.uk/11.html
http://www.lizardsofthehost.co.uk/13.html
http://www.lizardsofthehost.co.uk/7.html

Posted: 24 March 2013 08:35 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 888 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1801
Joined  2005-06-08
nDelphi - 23 March 2013 10:18 PM
KickAir 8P - 23 March 2013 04:11 PM

It’s 2000x1600px, and at 13:37:44 hours on 4 threads the stats read 16.89 S/p 190.52 S/s 619.61 C/s 325% Eff, but it still seems somewhat grainy . . .

Your render is too large for your amount of memory. I have 8 GBs and I will never render a scene at 2000x1600 with that amount of models in it. The most I have rendered is 1920x1080 and for very sparse scenes without too many models in it.  The larger your dimensions for the render the more memory LuxRender will use and it will take a lot longer to render as well. Try rendering that scene at say 900x900 and you will see what I mean. A lot less memory will be used.

Yeah, my 500x400px test renders came out fine.  From what all of you have said it sounds like it’s time to upgrade my RAM.  Before I go spending money on that, is it gonna be worth it with the CPU I have?  When I bought this machine an AMD Athlon II X4 645 3.10 GHz quad-core was reasonably powerful — now I’m not so sure.

(Sorry if this is getting off-topic — I promise I’ll post a lux’d render with my new RAM, does that help?  red face  )

Signature 

~

Hat-wearing member of the Bald Wizards Club

Eyebrow-Free Face Textures — A List

Posted: 24 March 2013 08:48 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 889 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  434
Joined  2007-10-01
KickAir 8P - 24 March 2013 08:35 AM

(Sorry if this is getting off-topic — I promise I’ll post a lux’d render with my new RAM, does that help?  red face  )

This is not off-topic considering the new people being introduce to LuxRender. It saves people from so much wasted time and hassle to know these things.

Adding more memory will allow you to get more creative; as in allowing you to add more to a scene. It isn’t going to make it faster. For that going with a new system say with DDR3 memory and a more modern CPU will. It’s up to you and what your budget is like.

I use a quad-core myself, it works for me for the moment, but who wouldn’t want a faster machine than the one they currently have? wink

Signature 

3D Celebrity Lookalikes

Posted: 24 March 2013 12:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 890 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7520
Joined  2009-05-14
nDelphi - 24 March 2013 08:48 AM

I use a quad-core myself, it works for me for the moment, but who wouldn’t want a faster machine than the one they currently have? wink

Meeeeee would like a new faster machine please but I have learnt to be very patient with the rigs I have been using.

Signature 

Pete

Somethings to Consider when starting to learn CG

My Gallery

My Render Thread

Proud member of the Bald Wizards Club and Co-operative

Posted: 24 March 2013 12:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 891 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  957
Joined  2012-02-04

Keep in mind that LuxRender has native support for network rendering.  So you don’t have to replace a machine to get additional rendering compute power.  The only requirement is that every machine have enough physical RAM to entirely load the scene you are trying to render, as already discussed in this thread.  So you can always upgrade just the RAM for now, and then when you eventually upgrade to a new machine, keep the current machine as a render slave.

Signature 

My deviantART Homepage

Posted: 24 March 2013 01:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 892 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-05-14

Yeah good point but I don’t think this 2GB Ram Vista Dual core will be any good as a slave? Besides I am only borrowing it as my machine died. Now I am frantically saving up for a new workstation. But good advice nonetheless. smile

Signature 

Pete

My Gallery

My Render Thread

Posted: 24 March 2013 01:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 893 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  128
Joined  2012-11-22
cwichura - 24 March 2013 12:54 PM

So you can always upgrade just the RAM for now, and then when you eventually upgrade to a new machine, keep the current machine as a render slave.

Hi,

Hopefully this isn’t to off-topic… @cwichura how would one go about creating an effective network to utilize the resources on their machines? Right now, I create my scenes in DS on my laptop then via the Luxus plugin send it to the LuxRender installation on my faster machine but what happens is not only does my laptop stop functioning when I do this but the machine I send the file to doesn’t seem to work very well either. The laptop is MacBook Pro (circa late 2008) and the rendering machine is a MacPro (2009). After reading the posts, it maybe I’m just running out of RAM—collectively the two machines only have 10GB.

Posted: 24 March 2013 02:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 894 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  134
Joined  2005-02-08

Whew, finally made it through this entire thread! I started reading it on the day it was born, but it grew way too fast for my limited time. ohh
Anyway, thanks to everyone who has posted questions, answers, tips, and renders. I’ve been taking notes. smile I absolutely LOVE the chance to finally use LuxRender, which has been sitting hopefully on my desktop for a while, waiting for me to find some way of getting it to work with Studio that didn’t cost a fortune. Now It works! I’ve been playing like crazy with it and I love the way it handles light. And finally, finally, finally the materials are behaving properly. I kept getting issues where one material would show up, but another wouldn’t… grr. Still having hair issues, but I know that’ll get fixed.
So thanks again to everyone for answering all of my questions to date. Don’t worry, I’m sure I’ll have more. And soon I’ll even have a render to post, one with all its materials in the proper places, and lights, too! Been tossing out most of the test renders, although I did keep one because I love the overall look, even though the textures came out funky because I hadn’t gotten the hang of ‘em yet. I’ll even share. Just don’t look too close at the hair or textures! red face
EDIT: Er, no I won’t share. Just realized I’m not positive a blurred reflection of not-entirely-dressed works in the forums. Bad me.

Signature 

the Evil Kitten Project

Posted: 24 March 2013 02:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 895 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2757
Joined  2004-04-14

I am not sure what others are using for render settings and I am seeing some mixed results in here so let me share what I have been using for all my tests.

Renderer - Sampler
Sampler - Metropolis
Pixel Sampler - Linear
Tone Mapping Kernel - Linear
Pixel Filter - Gaussian
Surface Integrator - Path

I have not altered any other settings and the above are not perfect for all renders so you may want to read up on render settings in the Lux wiki as to why something should be changed.

Signature 

My DAZ3D Store
My Free Stuff
My Art @ DeviantART
Ships of the Line - MEGA THREAD
How to use the Poser Format Exporter - **Updated 2013-02-09**

Posted: 24 March 2013 04:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 896 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  136
Joined  2012-11-17

Just to let others know, LuxRender v1.2.1 released.
Release notes:
In order to fix last minute issues with bidirectional rendering and Blender 2.66 integration, a new v1.2.1 version has been made available.

Also is it OK to use Luxus weekly builds or stick to the official releases?

Signature 

FusionLA

Posted: 24 March 2013 04:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 897 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  142
Joined  2006-09-14

Keep in mind that LuxRender has native support for network rendering.  So you don’t have to replace a machine to get additional rendering compute power.  The only requirement is that every machine have enough physical RAM to entirely load the scene you are trying to render, as already discussed in this thread.  So you can always upgrade just the RAM for now, and then when you eventually upgrade to a new machine, keep the current machine as a render slave.

I have a few to be tossed machines from work for this very purpose. I Frankenstein a few to get more RAM, put Linux in character mode, install LuxRender and poof. Network node.

Signature 

My life and times: http://bryonlape.com/

Posted: 24 March 2013 04:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 898 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-05-14
ropeman - 24 March 2013 04:37 PM

I have a few to be tossed machines from work for this very purpose. I Frankenstein a few to get more RAM, put Linux in character mode, install LuxRender and poof. Network node.

Yeah it’s alright for you cleaver folks that know about comptuers etc but for us mear mortals it is all dark magic. I have seen it, the Linux book of spells. wink

Signature 

Pete

My Gallery

My Render Thread

Posted: 24 March 2013 06:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 899 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1801
Joined  2005-06-08
nDelphi - 24 March 2013 08:48 AM

Adding more memory will allow you to get more creative; as in allowing you to add more to a scene. It isn’t going to make it faster. For that going with a new system say with DDR3 memory and a more modern CPU will. It’s up to you and what your budget is like.

My computer guy took a look, and he says the max my motherboard will support is 16 gig, so that’s what we ordered — by Wednesday night at the latest it should be installed.  We also went over the options re buying a new machine, but a 3.10 GHz quad-core CPU isn’t bad, and to get a significant improvement I’d have to spend way too much money.  And since the CPU was barely utilized due to the RAM issue I have hopes.  We’ll see how it goes.

SphericLabs, Michael_G, SimonJM, cwichura, Mattymanx, nDelphi — thanks for all your help, really appreciate it!

Signature 

~

Hat-wearing member of the Bald Wizards Club

Eyebrow-Free Face Textures — A List

Posted: 24 March 2013 07:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 900 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  957
Joined  2012-02-04
stormlyght - 24 March 2013 01:23 PM

Hopefully this isn’t to off-topic… @cwichura how would one go about creating an effective network to utilize the resources on their machines? Right now, I create my scenes in DS on my laptop then via the Luxus plugin send it to the LuxRender installation on my faster machine but what happens is not only does my laptop stop functioning when I do this but the machine I send the file to doesn’t seem to work very well either. The laptop is MacBook Pro (circa late 2008) and the rendering machine is a MacPro (2009). After reading the posts, it maybe I’m just running out of RAM—collectively the two machines only have 10GB.

Keep in mind, with LuxRender, there is no “collectively” when it comes to RAM.  Each node must have enough RAM to load the scene in full.  So if your scene requires 8GB of RAM to render, every node must have at least 12GB (because the OS needs a GB or two for itself in addition to the 8GB used by Lux).  Lux does not slice the scene up between nodes such that each node is rendering a smaller section, using less memory.

So I’m not really sure how to answer your question about “creating an effective network” other than to say that each machine must have enough RAM.  Then just run “luxconsole -s -W -P <your desired reset password>” on each of the slave machines.  On the master machine, assuming all the machines are on the same network, you can add the slaves in with “machinename.local”.  The master will also render as well; there is no way to tell it not to.  (You can drop its thread count down to 1 to relax its CPU load, but it will still consume all the memory LuxRender would normally consume for the scene.)

Also, the default network fetch time in Lux is crazy stupid fast.  Network fetch is actually a fairly expensive process, as it locks the film buffers for long periods while the film is exported/merged to/from the .flm file.  And when the film buffers are locked, the rendering threads are stalled.  I wouldn’t use anything less than 15 minutes (900 seconds) and I only use 900 when I’m doing quick material tests.  During final render, I set it to one hour (3600 seconds).

Signature 

My deviantART Homepage

60 of 100