Digital Art Zone

39 of 100
Luxus discussion
Posted: 17 March 2013 09:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 571 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  57
Joined  2003-10-09
MassMinion - 17 March 2013 08:06 PM

Hey,can anyone offer some insight to saving renders..?.......I have saved my scene (FLM) in the default location (daz/temp etc) shut down the PC…......turned everything on the next day and resumed the render no problem….great.

However If I create a new scene,luxrender seems to delete other existing scenes in the temp folder…..even if they have totally different file names?....any existing scene keeps getting replaced with the new scene?............I’ve saved my last scene in a different location/folder in the hope that I’ll manage to finish the render…..........is this normal?

I think that, by design, the temp folder gets cleaned up automatically. 

If you want to keep the files to pick up later, select ‘Image File’ instead of ‘New Window’ in the Render Settings.  That will put the files in your render library, and they will stay there until you delete them.

Just take care to choose an unused filename - no warning dialog box comes up if you’re overwriting an existing file.

Posted: 17 March 2013 11:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 572 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  183
Joined  2004-06-23

I did the same thing. saved the scene and then find it is gone when I go looking for it. Surely this should be set up so it saves the scene if you want it saved - without having to change where it is saving to!!!!

Posted: 18 March 2013 12:04 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 573 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  553
Joined  0

In the DS Render To settings you have to select image file. If you fill in the name and folder fields, then the render will always save to that name in the specified folder. If you leave the name field blank, then you will be prompted for a name when you hit the render button.

Alternatively, you can use the File->Export… before you shut down the Luxrender GUI.

Posted: 18 March 2013 12:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 574 ]
Rank
Joined  2004-06-23

Yes but if you are rendering in Lux and you go to save it then it should save somewhere secure - not somewhere that is going to disappear.

Posted: 18 March 2013 12:25 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 575 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  57
Joined  2003-10-09
Bea - 18 March 2013 12:10 AM

Yes but if you are rendering in Lux and you go to save it then it should save somewhere secure - not somewhere that is going to disappear.

The way I look at it is, the ‘new window’ option is for test renders that you don’t intend to keep; if you are intending to save the render then save it to a file.  Personally, I do a lot of test renders to check lighting/materials, and like knowing they will be automatically cleaned up after a while instead of building up on my hard drive.

Posted: 18 March 2013 01:48 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 576 ]
Rank
Joined  2004-06-23

That is one way to look at it smile but what other software deliberately saves to a folder that is going to be emptied so you lose everything? I can’ think of one that does. Plus it doesn’t tell you that fact anywhere in the readme or tutorial. I have just lost all the work I did on an image that took me over 9 hours to render so I am not very happy about that.

Posted: 18 March 2013 02:24 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 577 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6162
Joined  2006-02-20

OK, the transmap not being transferred to LuxRender seems to be a mesh issue - she did not really overdo the mascara ...
I tried with transmaps from two different vendors and had the same effect.

Could somebody else with Aiko3 try?
Or use the free base mesh and a free texture and do a fresh install?
http://download.cnet.com/Poser-DAZStudio-3D-Models-Pack/3000-6677_4-10579249.html
http://www.daz3d.com/forums/viewthread/636/

Credits:
A3 Faeryl - Thorne, Sarsa
Starlight Updo _ Anton Kisiel
Starlight Updo Textures - RamWolff (added Luxmaterial Velvet)
Nymph Dress - Mada, Thorne, Sarsa
Ivory for Nymph Dress - Winter200
Background - Aerysoul (with White Matte Luxmaterial - colour changed by me)
Area Lights that are coming with Luxus - SphericLabs

Render time 1:30 ca. 950 S/p
size 600x800 (click for unsquished version)

Image Attachments
a3nymph08.jpg
 Signature 

I like Bryce, DazStudio, Poser and Vue ... in alphabetical order. And I would probably like Carrara too, if I could find the time to become acquainted with it. Peace?
Poser and Daz Studio Free Resources Wiki: https://poserdazfreebies.orain.org

Posted: 18 March 2013 04:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 578 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6162
Joined  2006-02-20

By the way: Luxus is added to the DazStudio page of Luxrender:
http://www.luxrender.net/en_GB/daz_studio

Signature 

I like Bryce, DazStudio, Poser and Vue ... in alphabetical order. And I would probably like Carrara too, if I could find the time to become acquainted with it. Peace?
Poser and Daz Studio Free Resources Wiki: https://poserdazfreebies.orain.org

Posted: 18 March 2013 06:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 579 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  41
Joined  2005-04-08
Bea - 18 March 2013 01:48 AM

That is one way to look at it smile but what other software deliberately saves to a folder that is going to be emptied so you lose everything? I can’ think of one that does. Plus it doesn’t tell you that fact anywhere in the readme or tutorial. I have just lost all the work I did on an image that took me over 9 hours to render so I am not very happy about that.

Just to give you the heads up…..Mid render I saved the FLM file to a different location (instead of temp).......this DIDN’T work….........Lux creates 3 files per rendered image…....... a scene file,a resume file and an image file.

Choosing to save the FLM file mid render creates a “resume” file only….....it doesn’t save the all important “scene” FLM…....so unless you have both files you wont be able to reload/resume your scene…....which is a bit silly.

If you want to save on the “fly”......save the FLM (resume file ) to a new location and then find the FLM “scene” file in the temp folder,move it, (copy it ) to the new file location….......so both “scene” and “resume” files are together.

All the export options seem to be image related only???

Thank you to those who responded to my original post,I totally understand why files are stored in the temp folder as Lux requires a lot of trial and error….......the only catch sadly is that in many cases,deciding to run with an image comes after rendering for half an hour,seems silly to shut down a render your happy with,go back into Dazstudio render options,select “save as file” and start the process all over again.

The ability to save both scene and resume files at the same time seems common sense…...why does LUX not do this or give you the option to?

Posted: 18 March 2013 06:52 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 580 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  2322
Joined  2011-11-16
Bea - 18 March 2013 01:48 AM

... what other software deliberately saves to a folder that is going to be emptied so you lose everything?

Not to be controversial, but any software that does automatic backup of a file while you work does some version of that, which is basically what rendering to a window vs a file is doing. I think that is where the confusion comes in. That isn’t to say that other options wouldn’t be helpful in this case for people who find themselves in this situation.

Signature 

Just because I may have a strong opinion doesn’t make it any more (or less) correct than any other, just that I feel passionately a particular way at that moment.

Posted: 18 March 2013 07:05 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 581 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  176
Joined  2006-04-15

Interesting titbit from the Ring of Light product thread -

InaneGlory - 17 March 2013 01:00 AM
I little bit OT but while I’m off on a bit of a Luxus tangent:

After a little testing this afternoon Photo Studio lights are also going to get an upgrade so they will be available in Lux. With Luxus’ ability to save Lux materials from within DS I can finally get Photo Studio lights to port into Lux in the way I’ve always wanted. Here’s a half baked WIP, not perfection and grace so far but it’s a start

S/He also said there will be an add on for Ring of Light for Luxus compatability.

Posted: 18 March 2013 07:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 582 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  160
Joined  2007-01-21
Kerya - 18 March 2013 02:24 AM

OK, the transmap not being transferred to LuxRender seems to be a mesh issue - she did not really overdo the mascara ...
I tried with transmaps from two different vendors and had the same effect.

Could somebody else with Aiko3 try?

One of my 1st testrenders for the DS_Luxus-Luxrender combo
Mila for A3
No material tweaks so not the best looking, but I do not notice a transmap problem
The lashes look soft, which I take is the result of Luxrender’s render-engine. (or am I missing the problem?)
(Image at ca. 800 S/p)

Image Attachments
Mila-Lux.jpg
 Signature 

My Skydome & textures at ShareCG

Posted: 18 March 2013 07:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 583 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1335
Joined  2006-08-19

getting down to basics

Image Attachments
d46.png
 Signature 

http://rarethdigitalmusings.blogspot.com/

http://www.daz3d.com/gallery/users/35801

Posted: 18 March 2013 07:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 584 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  482
Joined  2013-02-02

Looks like at least a warning when you choose Render To: New Window and Use GUI is in order to let people know that they should use Render To: Image File when using the GUI for final renders.

If you saved your scene before rendering and you saved your flm file to somewhere not a temp folder, you can still resume it.  Simply click render again and the in the GUI stop the render and then choose file Resume.  Choose the .lxs you just regenerated and the .flm file you saved.

If you don’t need to resume but want to adjust things, run luxrender and choose Load FLM File

Signature 

-Spheric

Posted: 18 March 2013 07:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 585 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1335
Joined  2006-08-19
SphericLabs - 18 March 2013 07:46 AM

Looks like at least a warning when you choose Render To: New Window and Use GUI is in order to let people know that they should use Render To: Image File when using the GUI for final renders.

If you saved your scene before rendering and you saved your flm file to somewhere not a temp folder, you can still resume it.  Simply click render again and the in the GUI stop the render and then choose file Resume.  Choose the .lxs you just regenerated and the .flm file you saved.

If you don’t need to resume but want to adjust things, run luxrender and choose Load FLM File

one could also change the DAZ Studio preferences so the temp folder DAZ uses is in an easier to find location such as documents\DAZTemp or something.

Signature 

http://rarethdigitalmusings.blogspot.com/

http://www.daz3d.com/gallery/users/35801

39 of 100