Digital Art Zone

82 of 100
Luxus discussion
Posted: 10 April 2013 06:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1216 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  669
Joined  2010-03-13
Artini - 10 April 2013 05:05 PM

... and next f-stop 2, but could not see any difference in DOF. More exactly I do not see any Depth Of Field effect at all.
What am I doing wrong - any ideas?

Like millighost said, from the LuxRender Wiki:

Changing the F/stop setting inside the Tone Mapping panel in LuxRender will only effect overall exposure, and will not change the actual depth of field of the rendered image. To affect the depth of field in the render, the f/stop setting must be set inside of your exporter.

http://www.luxrender.net/wiki/LuxRender_Tone_mapping

So the tonemapping f-stop should only affect exposure and not DoF. The f-stop value of the camera setting should be transferred as DoF f-stop to LuxRender, but it is a bit fiddly, as the Daz Studio values are basically unrealistic. So good values for 3Delight might yield bad results for LuxRender.

Posted: 10 April 2013 07:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1217 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  174
Joined  2004-06-23
Slosh - 10 April 2013 05:30 PM

Sheesh, what have I started?  Granted, this all happened 17 years ago, and I didn’t look quite that good then, and I definitely would not now.

Anyway, Bea… here are the eye settings I labored over last night, and I think they look pretty stunning even in close-ups.  I used a single Luxus area light in the scene below, but I tested it with the 2 area light preset included with Luxus and they look great there, too.

I think my skin is improving, but I had some issues where the scattering settings did not seem to have any effect.  I’m sure I am missing something, but I had to go to work therefore had to quit testing.  The render below was with one area light.  It render for 11 hours while I was at work, but I am sure it was done well before that.

Thanks smile

Posted: 10 April 2013 09:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1218 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  139
Joined  2012-11-17
SphericLabs - 10 April 2013 08:45 AM
Kerya - 09 April 2013 11:44 PM
Bea - 09 April 2013 05:02 PM

Hellboy that is incredible smile

On another note can anyone give any suggestions for eye setting?

The only thing I could find in this thread:

Glass is a reflective/refractive transparent material…it works well for the cornea/eye surface (on older generation figures).

Select the cornea and or eye surface run use the Glass2 - Blue Glass shader preset.  The density of the blue particles is very faint on small objects.

Or you can download this Luxus Glass2 - Clear shader preset, because the one included is broken
-> http://sphericlabs.com/scratch/Glass2-Clear.zip

Thanks for posting this.
I read through the Luxus guide and never even knew there where shader presets for Luxus (I see it now in DAZ Store for what’s included).
Good to know and opens up a lot of possibilities for presets. (LuxRender Materials database?)

Signature 

FusionLA

Posted: 11 April 2013 12:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1219 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5573
Joined  2006-02-20
fusionla - 10 April 2013 09:28 PM

Thanks for posting this.
I read through the Luxus guide and never even knew there where shader presets for Luxus (I see it now in DAZ Store for what’s included).
Good to know and opens up a lot of possibilities for presets. (LuxRender Materials database?)

From somewhere else in this thread (Quoting my own question - the answer is not from me):

a question: is there a possibility to add lxm and lbm LuxRender materials somehow?
  http://www.luxrender.net/en_GB/lrmdb2
  http://www.luxrender.net/lrmdb/en/category/material/view/13
  A simple step by step tutorial on the howto would be nice.

1) Download the LXM file for the material you want to add.
2) Open the file in a text editor like Notepad and look for the line beginning ‘MakeNamedMaterial’
3) At the end of the text add the line ‘NamedMaterial “material_name”’ where material_name is the material named listed under

“MakeNamedMaterial”
4) Copy the entire material including the line you added.
5) Paste it into the Luxrender Extra Settings option in Daz Studio.
6) Render

Signature 

I like Bryce, DazStudio, Poser and Vue ... in alphabetical order. And I would probably like Carrara too, if I could find the time to become acquainted with it. Peace?

Posted: 11 April 2013 01:33 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1220 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2742
Joined  2009-02-24
Kerya - 11 April 2013 12:42 AM
fusionla - 10 April 2013 09:28 PM

Thanks for posting this.

From somewhere else in this thread (Quoting my own question - the answer is not from me):

a question: is there a possibility to add lxm and lbm LuxRender materials somehow?
  http://www.luxrender.net/en_GB/lrmdb2
  http://www.luxrender.net/lrmdb/en/category/material/view/13
  A simple step by step tutorial on the howto would be nice.

1) Download the LXM file for the material you want to add.
2) Open the file in a text editor like Notepad and look for the line beginning ‘MakeNamedMaterial’
3) At the end of the text add the line ‘NamedMaterial “material_name”’ where material_name is the material named listed under

“MakeNamedMaterial”
4) Copy the entire material including the line you added.
5) Paste it into the Luxrender Extra Settings option in Daz Studio.
6) Render

As an addendum to that, if the material you’re using is a mix material (as many of the more advanced ones are) you’ll want the LAST listed ‘MakeNamedMaterial’ line before you add the NamedMaterial line.

Signature 

Find me on DeviantArt
Download my free IBL presets for Luxus
Re-upload of Cresent’s awesome pwToon shaders
Create your own Smart Content

Posted: 11 April 2013 05:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1221 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1305
Joined  2005-03-16

This is the same scene, but with tweaks to the skin settings.

Image Attachments
d79.jpg
 Signature 

My DAZ Store Page    My Facebook Fan Page    My Twitter Account    Free Video Tutorials    My FreeStuff at ShareCG    My Gallery on DeviantArt

Posted: 11 April 2013 07:28 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1222 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  792
Joined  2004-05-14

Thanks for all the help about DOF in Lux, millighost, SphericLabs and Renpatsu.
I have not imagined, that the F/Stop in Daz Studio camera need to be so small (0.3)
to see the effect in Lux. It looks like F/Stop for Lux need to be at least 10 times smaller
than when rendering with 3Delight in Daz Studio.
Now I can proceed with further discovering features of Luxus and Lux.

Image Attachments
Sadie02pic01at30m348_38Sp.jpgSadie02pic01at30m348_38SpCam.jpgSadie02pic01at30m348_38SpScr.jpg

Posted: 11 April 2013 08:01 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1223 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  2322
Joined  2011-11-16

Thanks Artini, without this I probably would have just thought f/stop was broken in Lux.

Signature 

Just because I may have a strong opinion doesn’t make it any more (or less) correct than any other, just that I feel passionately a particular way at that moment.

Posted: 11 April 2013 09:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1224 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  571
Joined  2006-10-01

Yes, the F/Stop of the camera must be set to a very low value, around 0.30
I think I used 0.5 for the Buddah, not sure.

Does someone knows if the displacement maps color must be inverted? Someone at Deviant is PM me because the veins in her characters indeed looks like carved.
I did many things to the displacement map on the snake guy, I don’t remember if set it to negative at some point.
I’d like to know too. smile

Signature 

Simplified guide to Genesis content creation.

My gallery.

Posted: 11 April 2013 09:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1225 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  62
Joined  2004-12-26
Hellboy - 11 April 2013 09:27 AM

Yes, the F/Stop of the camera must be set to a very low value, around 0.30
I think I used 0.5 for the Buddah, not sure.

Does someone knows if the displacement maps color must be inverted? Someone at Deviant is PM me because the veins in her characters indeed looks like carved.
I did many things to the displacement map on the snake guy, I don’t remember if set it to negative at some point.
I’d like to know too. smile

I would ask what version of Luxrender they were using.  The displacement inverted somwhere in the 1-1.2 time.  So if they have the old version it may invert on them.

Posted: 11 April 2013 09:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1226 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  481
Joined  2013-02-02

With LuxRender 1.2, displacement direction switched, so be sure your version is 1.2 or higher.

Signature 

-Spheric

Posted: 11 April 2013 09:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1227 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  571
Joined  2006-10-01

Thanks!
As soon as I post the question I remembered something about this was updated and thought it could be that.
She must be using an older version. I’ll let her now.

:D

Signature 

Simplified guide to Genesis content creation.

My gallery.

Posted: 11 April 2013 09:35 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1228 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  481
Joined  2013-02-02

It could be I got it wrong, but I think I got it right.

Signature 

-Spheric

Posted: 11 April 2013 10:12 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1229 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  500
Joined  2005-01-18
SphericLabs - 11 April 2013 09:35 AM

It could be I got it wrong, but I think I got it right.

LOL LOL  LOL LOL  LOL LOL  LOL LOL  LOL LOL

Signature 

I am what I am, my own special creation

Posted: 11 April 2013 12:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1230 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  139
Joined  2012-11-17
Artini - 11 April 2013 07:28 AM

Thanks for all the help about DOF in Lux, millighost, SphericLabs and Renpatsu.
I have not imagined, that the F/Stop in Daz Studio camera need to be so small (0.3)
to see the effect in Lux. It looks like F/Stop for Lux need to be at least 10 times smaller
than when rendering with 3Delight in Daz Studio.
Now I can proceed with further discovering features of Luxus and Lux.

That is one of the things that would be nice in Luxrender if the f-stop worked for true DOF vs just adjusting the tone mapping.
I like LuxReeder for the real time feed back of adjusting lights, too bad there is none for DOF like Octane Render does.

Signature 

FusionLA

82 of 100