Digital Art Zone

Rotate Mode
Posted: 10 March 2013 10:47 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  47
Joined  2009-04-24

Is there a way to get Hexagon to stop making a wide sweep around a selected object or face, etc?  I have the preferences set to “dolly around selection center” but there are times, with models that have several pieces, when the piece I’m trying to take a look at moves out of view as I’m trying to rotate around it.  To make a tighter sweep around an object I usually click View Selection or View All but that moves the view out to certain distance then I have to zoom back in on whatever I’m looking at.  I have to do this each time I click on another object in the scene tree. 

I’m assuming there’s a much simpler way that I just haven’t learned yet. Using Alt LMB only jumps to rotate mode.

Signature 

Audiences know what to expect and that is all they are prepared to believe in.

Posted: 11 March 2013 11:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2942
Joined  2011-12-10

the only way I know of to accomplish this is to create an object such as a single polygon, position it where you want the camera to rotate, zoom in on that, and make it invisible, then work on whetever it is you’re working on…

Signature 

My DeviantArt Galleries
My ShareCG Gallery
OPENSUBDIV Testing and Discussion
3Delight Surface and Lighting Thread

Posted: 11 March 2013 12:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  280
Joined  2011-05-02

Similarly, sometimes I use a cube/s as a dummy, you can centre it around whatever move it where you need it and then focus on it, and hide when required also quite handy is the custom view control view/custom view or key 7 it does quite a lot, check out the options in the properties panel and experiment with it very useful sometimes.

Posted: 20 March 2013 06:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  47
Joined  2009-04-24

Thanks for the advice guys.  I completely forgot about the View Detail.  It seems to to have taken care of the issues I put here in this frantic late night post.  red face

Signature 

Audiences know what to expect and that is all they are prepared to believe in.