Been extrememly busy learning rigging and weight mapping. Can’t say it’s my favorite thing to do but it DOES allow the end user to actually make use of these clothing figures I’m making!
Probably the hardest thing, believe it or not, is the cape. Unless your using a parented prop cape with morphs then it’s all about rigging but just as importantly “weight mapping” must be mastered. What I found with using the transfer utility is that getting the cape conformed to Genesis was not an issue but posing the cape and applying morphs turned out to be a mess. (Image #1 shows the cape conformed to a morphed Mr. Hyde, not pretty)
So what I had to do was to make my own rig and quite a few fix morphs. I’ve only gotten fix morphs completed for the 7 Bruno body shapes as well as the 3 Muscle shapes and a few top cape fixes like “BackOut”, “FrontFix” and “TopFix”. Not done the Default male or female shapes for Genesis nor any of the other generational shapes. Those will come in time.
So the modified rig was leaving just a few of the bones from the transfer in place (neck, l and r collar and shoulder and chest) then removed all the other bones and added in 3 more bones called Cape 1 -3. Got those all in order and then to the next thing….. Weight Mapping. Seems easy enough in the beginning…. paint some red over areas and smooth it out to get a nice smooth transition (using the Ctrl key and brushing). Well most of it was easy like that but getting the top and front straps of the cape from sinking into Genesis when posed was NOT fun! (Image 2 & 3, hover over each image for the name, which explains what’s happening)
When your dealing with X, Y and Z as well as Positive and Negative space (which I’m still learning about) you have ALLOT of areas to brush and test for EACH and EVERY area your working on. Since it was the Neck, lShoulder, rShoulder, lCollar, rCollar and Chest I was needing to figure out how to get fixed, you can well imagine how boggled my mind was.
But I’m getting there! The last two images show the process and then the cape mostly fixed. Still have a little more work to do on the front but it’s coming along. What you see in the last image also is the capes morphs are actually produced using the bones and weight mapping, none of my morphs are used.