Digital Art Zone

3 of 9
RAMWolff’s SuperSuit creation thread…..
Posted: 21 March 2013 12:41 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 31 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1408
Joined  2005-03-16

I’m glad you found a solution.  I’m still surprised that, if you have material groups available in Daz, that you can’t get them to show as polygroups in ZBrush.  I don’t think I’ve run into that before, but then most things I port over to ZBrush already have UVs.  It’s one of the first things I make after modeling something in ZB.

Signature 

My DAZ Store Page  UVSetterGen2  Free Video Tutorials    My FreeStuff at ShareCG    My Gallery on DeviantArt

Posted: 21 March 2013 07:55 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 32 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4589
Joined  2004-08-11

Yea, not sure what causes that.  I’ll figure it out one of these days!  lol

Signature 

—- Wolff On The Prowl—-

Pan Project

Posted: 01 April 2013 11:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 33 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2004-08-11

Moving forward quite a bit. Ended up remeshing and got the suit looking the right way. Took the hands and feet off and got a nice clean remesh that had no spiraling so making different zones a joy. Made some boots, gloves and masks with other parts to make this a “Super Suit” for Genesis.

Now I’m working on the cape. I got most of the movement morphs done but in ZBrush but I can’t seem to figure out how to make a mirrored version of this one morph that I want to look exact as a mirror.

I did try to mirror it in the Deformation panel but when I apply the morph in DAZ Studio it pushes the cape inside out and then puts the Left side of the morph again.  Since it’s supposed to be a Right side morph not what I’m really after!  lol

So I must be doing something wrong! Any help in getting a mirrored morph for the cape>>

Thanks for the help! cool grin

Image Attachments
CapeTwistL.jpg
 Signature 

—- Wolff On The Prowl—-

Pan Project

Posted: 01 April 2013 06:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 34 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1017
Joined  2012-02-04

One comment—from the mesh views you’ve shown, this suit looks like it will perform badly on female figures with breasts dialed up from default.  (And I’m not talking about the crazy ginormous “breast expansion” crap you see so much of on deviantArt.  I’m talking breasts you can actually find on real women, albeit with some plastic involved.  Something like .85 size .5 implant, for example.)  This issue is you have a simple rank of quads across the chest area.  To support female figures, there really needs to be more of the concentric circles pattern that genesis itself has.  I see this time and again with content in the store here that performs very badly, even stuff intended for female figures, because of the rank of quads topology.

Now, if you never intend this for female figures, feel free to completely ignore me.  But I think I saw in one post you said you were thinking to use this as a base starting point for making future clothing, so in that case, it might be worth the flexibility of fixing the chest topology.

Signature 

My deviantART Homepage
Set Focal Distance script for DAZ Studio

Posted: 01 April 2013 09:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 35 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2004-08-11

It will be easy enough to create a different bodysuit for female figures so I’m not worried about it.  I don’t tend to support the female figure since most merchants and freebie makers mostly support the female form.  Just look at Renderosity, 90% of the content sold there now is all for V4.  So I have a bit of a beef with that stance so I’m mostly into supporting the male form.  If I get around to doing a female bodysuit it will be to create looks from the Legion of Super Heroes like Saturn Girl, Phantom Girl and Shrinking Violet as well as Dawnstar.  Those 4 are high on my bucket list. 

Thanks for the heads up and your observations.  Very much appreciated!

Signature 

—- Wolff On The Prowl—-

Pan Project

Posted: 01 April 2013 11:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 36 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1511
Joined  2011-11-16
cwichura - 01 April 2013 06:50 PM

One comment—from the mesh views you’ve shown, this suit looks like it will perform badly on female figures with breasts dialed up from default.  (And I’m not talking about the crazy ginormous “breast expansion” crap you see so much of on deviantArt.  I’m talking breasts you can actually find on real women, albeit with some plastic involved.  Something like .85 size .5 implant, for example.)  This issue is you have a simple rank of quads across the chest area.  To support female figures, there really needs to be more of the concentric circles pattern that genesis itself has.  I see this time and again with content in the store here that performs very badly, even stuff intended for female figures, because of the rank of quads topology.

Now, if you never intend this for female figures, feel free to completely ignore me.  But I think I saw in one post you said you were thinking to use this as a base starting point for making future clothing, so in that case, it might be worth the flexibility of fixing the chest topology.

There’s a reason why most, if not all clothing use rows and columns of quads. It’s the best mesh for sending to Daz Studio. Daz does not like N-Gons. It likes four-sided polygons. Any polygon more than four points does funky things to the mesh in Daz Studio. Therefore, it is always best to make sure your mesh is made up of all quads.

Posted: 01 April 2013 11:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 37 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2004-08-11

Oh, by the way, this is my “Big Barda” morph.  Still perfecting it when I get more time.  As you can see the SimpleSuit fits her just fine.  I did add a “Push Modifier” but set it to a paltry 0.1.00 which took care of the few poke throughs that occurred, yes, around the breasts and there were a couple in the back shoulder area.  Wireframe screen shot below.  Click it for larger view.

Image Attachments
SimpleSuit-BigBardaMorph.jpg
 Signature 

—- Wolff On The Prowl—-

Pan Project

Posted: 02 April 2013 04:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 38 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1017
Joined  2012-02-04
Tramp Graphics - 01 April 2013 11:24 PM

There’s a reason why most, if not all clothing use rows and columns of quads. It’s the best mesh for sending to Daz Studio. Daz does not like N-Gons. It likes four-sided polygons. Any polygon more than four points does funky things to the mesh in Daz Studio. Therefore, it is always best to make sure your mesh is made up of all quads.

I wasn’t suggesting the use of N-Gons.  Just in the layout of the quads around the breasts.  I specifically mentioned the concentric circles that Genesis has itself in that area, which are all made of quads.

Signature 

My deviantART Homepage
Set Focal Distance script for DAZ Studio

Posted: 02 April 2013 09:56 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 39 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1511
Joined  2011-11-16
cwichura - 02 April 2013 04:14 AM
Tramp Graphics - 01 April 2013 11:24 PM

I wasn’t suggesting the use of N-Gons.  Just in the layout of the quads around the breasts.  I specifically mentioned the concentric circles that Genesis has itself in that area, which are all made of quads.

Unless you’re making form-fitting armor (or a bra), you don’t want the garment to take the exact shape of the breasts, you want it to stretch or drape across them. Therefore, using concentric circles is not what you want on any garment, not even a tight bodysuit. You use a mesh made up of rows and columns of quads.

Posted: 02 April 2013 10:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 40 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2004-08-11

I found while learning the ZBrush processes is that if I mask an area and then blur the mask a couple of times and then do a “Remesh” it will put more poly’s in the masked area so I’ll try that with the bodysuit pec/breast area of the bodysuit and see how that looks.

Signature 

—- Wolff On The Prowl—-

Pan Project

Posted: 02 April 2013 10:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 41 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1823
Joined  2010-10-10

If you read Blondie9999’s tutorial

http://www.daz3d.com/advanced-rigging-in-daz-studio-4-pro

you will see that she tells you to make the breast area out of concentric circles.

Signature 

Wendy

My website: http://www.wilmapsdigitalcreations.co.uk

Tutorials: http://www.wilmapsdigitalcreations.co.uk/view_products.php?cat=10

PLEASE NOTE:
My items are NOT to be used on Second Life website.  They have recently changed their TOS and are legally able to take/steal anything uploaded and resell/redistribute to items.

Posted: 02 April 2013 12:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 42 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2004-08-11

Yes, I have her tutorials, both actually.  I don’t think she works in ZBrush so not sure if what she’s teaching in the tutorial is something I’ll be able to replicate in ZBrush.  I only use ZBrush and DAZ Studio to produce my clothing.  Hex crashes too easily on me so it’s not an option for now.  Perhaps when DAZ does another update for the program and perhaps builds it as a 64 bit app it might be more stable on my system.  ZBrush is only 32bit but rarely crashes!  To add, ZBrush has a backup so if the program crashes it will offer to load up where you left off when you next start ZBrush, very handy feature!  Saved my bacon a couple of times!

Signature 

—- Wolff On The Prowl—-

Pan Project

Posted: 02 April 2013 12:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 43 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  155
Joined  2012-07-24

As a long-time fan of the LOSH, I’m really excited to see what you end up with as your final result on this project.

When you figure the capes out, you should work on Brainy’s lab coat. wink

Posted: 02 April 2013 01:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 44 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2004-08-11

Another area I need to learn… how to make lapels and buttons’

Signature 

—- Wolff On The Prowl—-

Pan Project

Posted: 09 April 2013 09:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 45 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2004-08-11

Been extrememly busy learning rigging and weight mapping.  Can’t say it’s my favorite thing to do but it DOES allow the end user to actually make use of these clothing figures I’m making! 

raspberry

Probably the hardest thing, believe it or not, is the cape.  Unless your using a parented prop cape with morphs then it’s all about rigging but just as importantly “weight mapping” must be mastered.  What I found with using the transfer utility is that getting the cape conformed to Genesis was not an issue but posing the cape and applying morphs turned out to be a mess.  (Image #1 shows the cape conformed to a morphed Mr. Hyde, not pretty)

So what I had to do was to make my own rig and quite a few fix morphs.  I’ve only gotten fix morphs completed for the 7 Bruno body shapes as well as the 3 Muscle shapes and a few top cape fixes like “BackOut”, “FrontFix” and “TopFix”.  Not done the Default male or female shapes for Genesis nor any of the other generational shapes.  Those will come in time. 

So the modified rig was leaving just a few of the bones from the transfer in place (neck, l and r collar and shoulder and chest) then removed all the other bones and added in 3 more bones called Cape 1 -3.  Got those all in order and then to the next thing….. Weight Mapping.  Seems easy enough in the beginning…. paint some red over areas and smooth it out to get a nice smooth transition (using the Ctrl key and brushing).  Well most of it was easy like that but getting the top and front straps of the cape from sinking into Genesis when posed was NOT fun!  (Image 2 & 3, hover over each image for the name, which explains what’s happening)

When your dealing with X, Y and Z as well as Positive and Negative space (which I’m still learning about) you have ALLOT of areas to brush and test for EACH and EVERY area your working on.  Since it was the Neck, lShoulder, rShoulder, lCollar, rCollar and Chest I was needing to figure out how to get fixed, you can well imagine how boggled my mind was. 

But I’m getting there!  The last two images show the process and then the cape mostly fixed.  Still have a little more work to do on the front but it’s coming along.  What you see in the last image also is the capes morphs are actually produced using the bones and weight mapping, none of my morphs are used.  grin

Image Attachments
MrHyde-NoScale-CapeSmoosh.jpgCapeBeforeReleasingAdjustmentDial.jpgCapeAfterReleasingAdjustmentDial.jpgWeightMapping-Getting_the_hang_of_it.jpgWeightMappingCape-Pose.jpg
 Signature 

—- Wolff On The Prowl—-

Pan Project

3 of 9