Digital Art Zone

1 of 4
Lighting: Doing Something Wrong-  Spot Renders Really Different From Viewport
Posted: 10 March 2013 04:52 PM   [ Ignore ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8089
Joined  2012-09-10

When I use the spot render tool (well, duh, don’t know how I managed to skip ALL the references to that, been totally wasting my time creating things that are gorgeous in the viewport and horrid when spot rendered) I am not getting lighting results at all satisfactory. For example, the top of a temple, the arches- I have a bright pink spotlight (so I can see where the light is hitting) and when spot rendered (SR for short) half the arch lighting disappears. In the surfaces, I tried setting both the ambient and diffuse lighting to a light white to see if that would help the SR recognize the lighting, made no difference.

Help me out a bit here- in the surface tab, any recommendations? Just can’t figure out what’s wrong with the spotlight on the temple arch. The darned arch will only light half of it in the SR but in viewport it’s more than well lit. Intensity is 100%, the scale is about 70%- help!

EDIT- changing the title because it’s not just spotlights.

Signature 

SILO Step By Step
The Art Studio: Thread #5   Product Discussions
Beginners Videos Thread-

Posted: 10 March 2013 05:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  16403
Joined  2009-01-22

Post a Screen shot of your Viewport and your Spot render. Then the Spotlights Settings and I’ll see if we can get you going.

Signature 

Exile, Drows Walk: A Tale of Jaderail starts here. Free pulp fiction at its Fantasy best, Updated 2/3/14.
Proud Member of the Bald Wizards Club My stuff at DeviantArt

Posted: 10 March 2013 05:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-09-10

Thanks, back in a few.

Signature 

SILO Step By Step
Beginners Videos Thread-

Posted: 10 March 2013 05:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-09-10

I’m not sure what’s going on, but it froze up on me and I had to control/alt/delete to get to my task manager and close it out. Reopened it and it’s responding to the changes in diffuse, specular, and ambient now. So temple seems to be solved.
HOWEVER,
Still just dont have a clue which one I should use to make say, a log, more receptive to a spotlight. If it’s a gray log, and it seems like I’m not getting the same level of spotlight color (say blue) that I want when I spot render, which one would you recommend I change first to see if I can enrich the blues? I changed all of them to a light blue/white, but not sure if I should mess with all three.

And Multiply Specular Through Opacity- should that always be on? I was trying to find a thread that explained all those bumps in Surfaces tab, if you can just point me in the direction I’ll be happy to read up on my own. I know you guys are tired of repeating the same stuff to us newbies over and over smile

Signature 

SILO Step By Step
Beginners Videos Thread-

Posted: 10 March 2013 05:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-01-22

Well, in truth editing the Items Surfaces has nothing to do with how the Light affects it, except for Reflection, Refraction and Specular. You should Edit the Light itself and Mostly just the Color of the Light. And Intensity.

EDIT: UberSurface Shader has many more options but still the Light used is still what you should edit, not the Items surfaces.

Signature 

Exile, Drows Walk: A Tale of Jaderail starts here. Free pulp fiction at its Fantasy best, Updated 2/3/14.

Posted: 10 March 2013 05:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-01-22

I May have missed the Point, if your just editing the Spotlight The Diffuse and Intensity are your friends. If needed you can click the Intensity setting GEAR and change the Limit to a Higher setting.

Here is the Same image with only the Intensity changed.

Image Attachments
Capture.PNGHelp-1.PNG
 Signature 

Posted: 10 March 2013 06:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-09-10

That was what I tried initially, the intensity of the light, and it was absolutely ridiculous what I was showing in the viewport (a HOT BRIGHT BLUE, a glowing blue log!) vs the spot render (NOTHING. Nada. Gray log.)  Unless I changed the surface of the log, nothing would show differently in the spot render. Since I’ve already changed the log (and cant remember what the settings were in surface, let me go to another part of my scene and select something, and see if I can duplicate those results.

Signature 

SILO Step By Step
Beginners Videos Thread-

Posted: 10 March 2013 06:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-09-10

Here’s what is happening without any fiddlin’ with Surfaces. (Linear Point Light) Intensity way up, does nothing in spot render. I’m going to need Garibaldi if I keep this up, pulling out my hair!!!!!

EDIT: BTW, as suspected and mentioned as a possible culprit- the dark images in the other thread were indeed Corel Draw issues. I changed the setting to RGB and these were fine when posted. It just didnt like the CMYK for some reason.

Image Attachments
spotlight2RGB.jpg
 Signature 

SILO Step By Step
Beginners Videos Thread-

Posted: 10 March 2013 06:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-09-10

I’ve messed with the Falloff Start/ End, moved both from 10 to up to 150, not seeing any difference whatsoever in glow showing up where it’s supposed to. (As I haven’t a clue what those things do, just experimenting. I assume the Falloff is where the light goes kaput. Don’t you love newbies?)

Signature 

SILO Step By Step
Beginners Videos Thread-

Posted: 10 March 2013 06:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4524
Joined  2007-09-13
Novica - 10 March 2013 06:20 PM

That was what I tried initially, the intensity of the light, and it was absolutely ridiculous what I was showing in the viewport (a HOT BRIGHT BLUE, a glowing blue log!) vs the spot render (NOTHING. Nada. Gray log.)  Unless I changed the surface of the log, nothing would show differently in the spot render. Since I’ve already changed the log (and cant remember what the settings were in surface, let me go to another part of my scene and select something, and see if I can duplicate those results.

That sounds a lot like the Ambient color was set to white and the strength to 100%...the light is blue, the log is grey.

(top image, ambient is on)

(bottom ambient is off…)

Image Attachments
ambon.jpgamboff.jpg
 Signature 

1432 old posts

My ShareCG gallery.

Just because something costs a lot, doesn’t mean it’s the best…

It just means it’s expensive.

Posted: 10 March 2013 06:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-09-10

So if I am having trouble, mess with the ambient first?

Signature 

SILO Step By Step
Beginners Videos Thread-

Posted: 10 March 2013 07:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-09-10

Ugh, ambient is on black. Care to explain what these other settings are / post reference to a thread that explains them? The lighting model I assume is very important- should I be using plastic for a people/forest scene?

Hope the image shows up, I used “sharpen” to help with the print, and did it in RGB again.

Image Attachments
surfaces.jpg
 Signature 

SILO Step By Step
Beginners Videos Thread-

Posted: 10 March 2013 07:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-09-10

All (diffuse, specular, ambient) all set to light whitish blue, even turning up the ambient to an almost white log (which I dont want- I want a glow on a DARK log, this isnt going to be the focus of my render!!!!!)  did not get a blue glow on the lower section. Again, I know this is all in surfaces, but intensity is at a ridiculous level (200%) and no Fallout is making a difference.

Signature 

SILO Step By Step
Beginners Videos Thread-

Posted: 10 March 2013 09:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-09-10

Tried lighting the noggins dragonfly, getting nowhere with it either. The surfaces and the (lighting neither one) are making changes that are appropriate. So want answers on the settings for surfaces and lighting- turning up the intensity to 200% on things is STUPID, and the ambient, diffuse, specular are on light whitish blue- which ruins the items in the scene but otherwise, lighting isnt taking.

Signature 

SILO Step By Step
Beginners Videos Thread-

Posted: 10 March 2013 11:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-01-22

I have no Idea exactly what you mean by Glow but I did this to show you what I think you are trying to do.

1 Viewport
2 Light Settings
3 Render

Image Attachments
Capture.PNGHelp-1.PNGLight_Test.png
 Signature 

Posted: 11 March 2013 02:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-09-10

You’re correct- that’s what I have been adjusting. I tried moving the starting and ending numbers to no avail. Sometime tomorrow I’ll try to do a screenshot and show you the dragonfly, the different settings I tried with the lights, the lights and surfaces changed, etc. It’s going on 4am and I have to get some sleep. Thank you so much btw!
Cathie

Signature 

SILO Step By Step
Beginners Videos Thread-

1 of 4