Digital Art Zone

67 of 100
JACK TOMALIN APPRECIATION SOCIETY [JAS III]
Posted: 08 December 2012 03:54 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 991 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3101
Joined  2009-02-24

I still consider myself a complete and utter newbie when it comes to lighting. It’s arguably one of the most complex parts of a scene, and can make or break your final image. I always find myself incredibly jealous of some of the promotional renders you find with a lot of products, simply because I have difficulty matching that standard in my own work.

That being said, I have ‘cheated’ a few times and used lighting presets which work wonders, especially under Lux.

Signature 

Find me on DeviantArt
Download my free IBL presets for Luxus
Re-upload of Cresent’s awesome pwToon shaders
Create your own Smart Content

Posted: 08 December 2012 03:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 992 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4289
Joined  0

Yea, it’s a art form in itself.. but like everything, patience and practice will help - so just stick with it.

And there’s nothing wrong with using presets too, that’s what they are there for smile

Signature 

Part of the Platinum Club admin team
Visit my DAZ store
Honorable member of the Bald Wizards Club

Posted: 08 December 2012 04:11 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 993 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  2167
Joined  2003-10-09

lighting is one of my favorite things to do. granted I use Poser, i think lighting is way harder in Studio

Posted: 08 December 2012 04:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 994 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-02-24
LycanthropeX - 08 December 2012 04:11 AM

lighting is one of my favorite things to do. granted I use Poser, i think lighting is way harder in Studio

In some ways I think you’re right, as lighting doesn’t have nearly as many options in native Daz as Poser does. That being said, however, there are a LOT of extras added into the mix which can give spectacular results in Daz even with the the bundled 3Delight render engine.

Being a Poser user for some years made moving to Daz a rocky road, but I’ve barely used Poser since switching. Largely this is due to Genesis, but now that I’ve got my hands on Reality 2.0, I’m finding the overall quality of my renders has skyrocketed. It’s like the old British advertisements. Daz gets your whites whiter than white :D

Also, since this is a JAS thread, I wouldn’t be doing my part if I didn’t at least include one render with his set pieces in.

Image Attachments
Satsuki2.png
 Signature 

Find me on DeviantArt

Posted: 08 December 2012 04:24 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 995 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  0

Nice! Ah GIS.. smile

Signature 

Visit my DAZ store

Posted: 08 December 2012 05:33 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 996 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-02-24
Jack Tomalin - 08 December 2012 04:24 AM

Nice! Ah GIS.. smile

Yep! I especially like that all of your items are modular, so I only need to include elements which will be needed. Some of the sets I’ve purchased come as a whole unit, which can really brutalize my system resources and make poor Lux sweat like an Olympic athlete… metaphorically.

I’m actually using quite a few of your other items in my main project too, but I can’t lift the lid on that yet or the gremlins will eat my soul.

Signature 

Find me on DeviantArt

Posted: 08 December 2012 05:56 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 997 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  0
HeraldOfFire - 08 December 2012 05:33 AM
Jack Tomalin - 08 December 2012 04:24 AM

Nice! Ah GIS.. smile

Yep! I especially like that all of your items are modular, so I only need to include elements which will be needed. Some of the sets I’ve purchased come as a whole unit, which can really brutalize my system resources and make poor Lux sweat like an Olympic athlete… metaphorically.

I’m actually using quite a few of your other items in my main project too, but I can’t lift the lid on that yet or the gremlins will eat my soul.

Ooh sounds interesting.. look forward to seeing the results, when the gremlins give you the nod wink

Signature 

Visit my DAZ store

Posted: 08 December 2012 07:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 998 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  295
Joined  2003-10-09

These are good, straightforward tutorials on lighting by a bloke who works at Pixar and adapted from his book on lighting.

http://www.3drender.com/archives/index.htm

I find Poser lighting difficult as I can’t find the lights to pick them up and move them. They also seem to move with the camera which is a pain if you want a front and back shot of something. With DS at least I can find the lights and they stay put.

It’s a difficult area though. I’ve been photographing for years but only outdoor, mostly buildings and landscape, so I’ve never practised artificial lighting. It’s probably why I find Vue the easiest app to use as it’s mostly working with one light as the sun and maybe a highlight on a figure or item.

Signature 

Freebies

Posted: 08 December 2012 07:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 999 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-02-24
Jack Tomalin - 08 December 2012 05:56 AM

Ooh sounds interesting.. look forward to seeing the results, when the gremlins give you the nod wink

Let’s just say Sacrament makes an appearance. I absolutely adore that set and it’ll see heavy use due to a somewhat religious undertone. I think I can get away with revealing that much without incurring any wrath. I hope I can do it some justice smile

As for Poser lighting, I hear you. One of the biggest difficulties I faced using Poser was finding point lights in any given scene. It’s especially difficult when you’re dealing with more complex areas for animations and need lights across a wider area. One of the things I love about Daz is that you get a transform/translate gizmo, so even if you can’t see the light, the gizmo makes it easy to position and rotate.

Signature 

Find me on DeviantArt

Posted: 08 December 2012 05:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1000 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8342
Joined  2009-05-14
LycanthropeX - 07 December 2012 01:36 PM

not entirely happy with this one, it was just an experiment in 2012. There are no lights used in this image and no post work.

Looks good apart from the shadows as you pointed out but can’t you increase the light bounces in Poser. More bounces, more the light gets in to those awkward spaces? Just thinking out loud. smile

Signature 

Pete

Somethings to Consider when starting to learn CG

My Gallery

My Render Thread and Tutorials

Proud member of the Bald Wizards Club and Co-operative

Facebook

Posted: 08 December 2012 05:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1001 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8342
Joined  2009-05-14
HeraldOfFire - 08 December 2012 04:19 AM

In some ways I think you’re right, as lighting doesn’t have nearly as many options in native Daz as Poser does. That being said, however, there are a LOT of extras added into the mix which can give spectacular results in Daz even with the the bundled 3Delight render engine.

Being a Poser user for some years made moving to Daz a rocky road, but I’ve barely used Poser since switching. Largely this is due to Genesis, but now that I’ve got my hands on Reality 2.0, I’m finding the overall quality of my renders has skyrocketed. It’s like the old British advertisements. Daz gets your whites whiter than white :D

Also, since this is a JAS thread, I wouldn’t be doing my part if I didn’t at least include one render with his set pieces in.

Nice she looks thoughtful. GIS I keep thinking how to use all the GIS series and since going back to DS3A and finding with my RAM maxed out I can do so much more than I could before leaving it for DS4/4.5. That last image proved to me what DS3A can do that DS4.5 can’t on my machine. So I may be able to get the ideas in my head out at some stage next year.

Signature 

Pete

Somethings to Consider when starting to learn CG

My Gallery

My Render Thread and Tutorials

Proud member of the Bald Wizards Club and Co-operative

Facebook

Posted: 09 December 2012 05:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1002 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  295
Joined  2003-10-09

I’ve been using GIS in Vue. Everything imports well. I don’t have trouble with Jack’s sets the way I do with many things. Vue has a problem with the way it reads .obj format that makes curves where there should be hard edges. So imports from DS and Poser can mean a lot of frigging about to get things to look ok. Not that happy with the composition here but it was a first attempt.

Image Attachments
Imperious2.jpg
 Signature 

Freebies

Posted: 09 December 2012 05:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1003 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  0

Well that’s good to hear my stuff works well in Vue smile

Signature 

Visit my DAZ store

Posted: 09 December 2012 06:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1004 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3426
Joined  2007-06-22

Personally I can’t get on with anything Poser - especially the lighting.

This image uses Jannah, which I think is one of Jacks, and Kingdom of Marakesh; not completly happy with how it came out

Image Attachments
Genie-1.jpg

Posted: 09 December 2012 07:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1005 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6138
Joined  2005-08-29

And for me it’s the opposite! I can get lighting the way I want i DS, but in Poser everything looks flat, boring and dull, no matter what I do, even with commercial light sets and max render settings.

Signature 

=============================================
My DAZ Gallery  | The adventures of Lomund
Free RPG adventures for DnD, O:FR and more: http://4eyes.code66.se
Community Volunteer

Proud member of the Bald Wizards Club
I always look on the bright side of life, ‘cause I never expected the Spanish inquisition!

67 of 100