29 of 100
JACK TOMALIN APPRECIATION SOCIETY [JAS III]
Posted: 10 October 2012 11:17 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 421 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4187
Joined  0
cosmo71 - 10 October 2012 10:17 AM

slowly but surely it comes to the point my canyon turns out finished smile (the main things, just a bit here and there, but the main thing seems to be near to be finished)

Nice :D

Signature 

Part of the Platinum Club admin team
Visit my DAZ store
Honorable member of the Bald Wizards Club

Posted: 10 October 2012 03:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 422 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1804
Joined  2010-09-17
JOdel - 10 October 2012 11:11 AM
KickAir 8P - 09 October 2012 03:28 PM
Jack Tomalin - 09 October 2012 01:05 PM

Sadly got blown away in the great tornado of ‘53.. very sad indeed :(

Real answer? We had to keep some stuff behind.. didn’t want to put all the eggs in one basket etc… wink

So it’ll show up in an expansion?  BTW, is that 50’s diner we keep seeing blurry in the background of the PC promo shots yours?  Are we gonna get it this month?

And here’s a question that might actually get answered:  What’s the historically accurate screen ratio that’s supposed to be projected on that thing?  16:9, or did drive-ins use something else?

The oldest movie screens were 4:3. Televisions (once they got out of the experimental stage) copied it, because someone already saw the profit in broadcasting old movies for them. But the ‘50s got into Cinemascope and other wider screens to try to bring people into the theaters rather than sit and watch old movies on their televisions at home. Not altogether sure whether the drive-ins opted for the old-style or the new aspect ratio when they were built. It may depend on just when the Drive-in was built. But 4:3 is fairly safe, with a wider screen a posibility.

I would imagine that drive in theatres used to same film format as any enclosed theatre would, it would have been too costly to make different film formats or aspect ratios just for drive in movies, after all, the projections systems were pretty much the same.

Posted: 10 October 2012 04:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 423 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1702
Joined  2009-08-08

True, but as the decade wore on, the theaters with the older screens couldn’t show the new films in their entirety since the screen clipped the edges.

After a bit people shooting films for wider screens tried to compensate by shooting “TV safe” with all the action taking place in the middle of the screen so the film could be broadcast to televisions’ 4:3 ratio without losing anything but scenery.

Posted: 10 October 2012 09:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 424 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  12095
Joined  2007-11-06
Jack Tomalin - 10 October 2012 03:35 AM
Kludge - 10 October 2012 03:14 AM
Jack Tomalin - 10 October 2012 01:07 AM

A little texture addon and oh look, we’re in Parkside wink

ROFLMAO!  A man who knows!  West Park/Parkside is one of my favorite series.  No, it is my favorite.  So much coolness to play with and mix ‘n match and just have a ball with.  It’s also comparatively easy to customize as needed which just makes it more so coolerer.  This is one that has boundless possibilities for any of a number of eras.  grin

Conversely, a new texture addon and Parkside becomes just a regular town.. there’s lots in store for that series, as well as the others I have created (and have yet to start)

...you’re bound and determined to keep me in the PC aren’t you…

BTW here’s a rework I did of an older scene.  Parkside Head also makes a good security Watchtower.

Image Attachments
Im_home.jpg
 Signature 

...it’s five minutes to midnight…

I’d rather have a blue sky above me than a blue screen in front of me.

Posted: 10 October 2012 09:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 425 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1825
Joined  2005-06-08
betsy662 - 10 October 2012 03:36 PM
JOdel - 10 October 2012 11:11 AM
Jack Tomalin - 09 October 2012 01:05 PM

Sadly got blown away in the great tornado of ‘53.. very sad indeed :(

Real answer? We had to keep some stuff behind.. didn’t want to put all the eggs in one basket etc… wink

So it’ll show up in an expansion?  BTW, is that 50’s diner we keep seeing blurry in the background of the PC promo shots yours?  Are we gonna get it this month?

And here’s a question that might actually get answered:  What’s the historically accurate screen ratio that’s supposed to be projected on that thing?  16:9, or did drive-ins use something else?

The oldest movie screens were 4:3. Televisions (once they got out of the experimental stage) copied it, because someone already saw the profit in broadcasting old movies for them. But the ‘50s got into Cinemascope and other wider screens to try to bring people into the theaters rather than sit and watch old movies on their televisions at home. Not altogether sure whether the drive-ins opted for the old-style or the new aspect ratio when they were built. It may depend on just when the Drive-in was built. But 4:3 is fairly safe, with a wider screen a posibility.

I would imagine that drive in theatres used to same film format as any enclosed theatre would, it would have been too costly to make different film formats or aspect ratios just for drive in movies, after all, the projections systems were pretty much the same.

Appreciate the help, and the link Jack posted was useful too.  Thanks guys!

I’m really looking forward to that hinted-at diner/kitchen (I’m in two obscure fandoms it’ll be handy for, never mind general usability) so I was put a bit off by the drive-in, which I have no use for whatsoever.  But that drive-in has a lovely ticket/concession booth, and a snazzy sign I’ll bet can be reworked (haven’t had time to check, can visibility on the lettering be turned off?), and a couple handy things like fencing and a ground plain.  I like it.

The sign’s lettering has its own material zones so setting their opacity to 0% leaves it ready to be turned into a sign for a motel, cafe, or whatever.  Have I mentioned recently how much I love versatile PlatClub items?

Image Attachments
screenshot.10-10-2012_23_.26_.33_.png
 Signature 

~

Hat-wearing member of the Bald Wizards Club

Eyebrow-Free Face Textures — A List

Posted: 10 October 2012 11:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 426 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5929
Joined  2005-08-29

Playing with it, but I wish the screen had been an own material zone, screens are made for playing.

Image Attachments
drive-inWWIIIs.jpg
 Signature 

=============================================
My DAZ Gallery  | The adventures of Lomund
Free RPG adventures for DnD, O:FR and more: http://4eyes.code66.se
Community Volunteer

Proud member of the Bald Wizards Club
I always look on the bright side of life, ‘cause I never expected the Spanish inquisition!

Posted: 11 October 2012 12:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 427 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  0
Kyoto Kid - 10 October 2012 09:21 PM
Jack Tomalin - 10 October 2012 03:35 AM
Kludge - 10 October 2012 03:14 AM
Jack Tomalin - 10 October 2012 01:07 AM

A little texture addon and oh look, we’re in Parkside wink

ROFLMAO!  A man who knows!  West Park/Parkside is one of my favorite series.  No, it is my favorite.  So much coolness to play with and mix ‘n match and just have a ball with.  It’s also comparatively easy to customize as needed which just makes it more so coolerer.  This is one that has boundless possibilities for any of a number of eras.  grin

Conversely, a new texture addon and Parkside becomes just a regular town.. there’s lots in store for that series, as well as the others I have created (and have yet to start)

...you’re bound and determined to keep me in the PC aren’t you…

BTW here’s a rework I did of an older scene.  Parkside Head also makes a good security Watchtower.

Yup, that’s my job smile

Nice work - I see what you mean about Parkside Head… works perfectly.

Signature 

Visit my DAZ store

Posted: 11 October 2012 12:37 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 428 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  0
KickAir 8P - 10 October 2012 09:52 PM

Have I mentioned recently how much I love versatile PlatClub items?

Thanks smile

Signature 

Visit my DAZ store

Posted: 11 October 2012 12:37 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 429 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  0
Totte - 10 October 2012 11:16 PM

Playing with it, but I wish the screen had been an own material zone, screens are made for playing.

Heh, see.. I don’t *always* get it right.. smile

Signature 

Visit my DAZ store

Posted: 11 October 2012 12:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 430 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-08-29
Jack Tomalin - 11 October 2012 12:37 AM

Most of the time you do grin
But I’ve seen that on several TVs and wall screens too in different sets, they map all in one map. As you might want to boost ambient for the screen, it becomes tricky even if you use an ambient map, you’re bound to get some “leakage” if you pass 100%. I made my two videoscreens on Rendo so that the screen is one zone, much easier to play with.

Signature 

Community Volunteer

I always look on the bright side of life, ‘cause I never expected the Spanish inquisition!

Posted: 11 October 2012 12:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 431 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  0
Totte - 11 October 2012 12:40 AM
Jack Tomalin - 11 October 2012 12:37 AM

Most of the time you do grin
But I’ve seen that on several TVs and wall screens too in different sets, they map all in one map. As you might want to boost ambient for the screen, it becomes tricky even if you use an ambient map, you’re bound to get some “leakage” if you pass 100%. I made my two videoscreens on Rendo so that the screen is one zone, much easier to play with.

Yea - that’s about as good as I can hope for.

I’ve made a note, if I happen to do any work on that pack I’ll get that added in.

Signature 

Visit my DAZ store

Posted: 11 October 2012 12:51 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 432 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-08-29
Jack Tomalin - 11 October 2012 12:46 AM

I’ve made a note, if I happen to do any work on that pack I’ll get that added in.

Great!
I know we are all individuals (like Brian said in the movie about his life), and we all use the lego bricks you make in different ways.
But keep up that great work, you stuff is always top notch, great detail without being cumbersome to work with. I think that’s why Pete started this thread in the first place !

Signature 

Community Volunteer

Posted: 11 October 2012 06:00 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 433 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15203
Joined  2003-10-09

In the meantime it should be fairly simple to make a mask for the screen so you can apply a new image over the base texture in LIE (for simple imaeg replacement) or with Shader Mixer (to adjust other settings such as ambience - though you could use LIE-images in the strength channels for those with a regular shader too).

Signature 

DAZ Studio Frequently Asked Questions

Index of free DAZ Studio scripts and plugins list

Posted: 11 October 2012 06:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 434 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-08-29
Richard Haseltine - 11 October 2012 06:00 AM

In the meantime it should be fairly simple to make a mask for the screen so you can apply a new image over the base texture in LIE (for simple imaeg replacement) or with Shader Mixer (to adjust other settings such as ambience - though you could use LIE-images in the strength channels for those with a regular shader too).

Made it using OmniGraffle (my fav program for doing things like that). You could probably create a new material zone in DS too.

Signature 

Community Volunteer

Posted: 11 October 2012 06:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 435 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8218
Joined  2009-05-14
Richard Haseltine - 11 October 2012 06:00 AM

Or you could use the Polygon Editor Tool and make that section have its own Mat zone. If I had the item I would see if it was possible to do.

Signature 

Pete

Somethings to Consider when starting to learn CG

My Gallery

My Render Thread and Tutorials

Proud member of the Bald Wizards Club and Co-operative

Facebook

29 of 100