69 of 100
JACK TOMALIN APPRECIATION SOCIETY [JAS III]
Posted: 10 December 2012 08:55 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1021 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3472
Joined  0
HeraldOfFire - 10 December 2012 08:24 AM

I have to admit, I’ve never used Lightwave, so I know very little about it. Interesting that it was done in post though, it gives such a striking effect it’s hard to imagine it as more than one image! Since I’m making heavy use of the set lately, I really want to get the best out of it so there’s a lot of tinkering with the materials to fine tune it for Reality. I’m getting a RAM upgrade tomorrow which should help me a lot with larger sets. My poor PC has been struggling to keep up lately :p

Ah yea - to be fair to your PC, Sacrament is one of the ‘heaviest’ sets I have done.. so no wonder you’re struggling with it.  More RAM will certainly help smile

Signature 

Part of the Platinum Club admin team
Visit my DAZ store
Honorable member of the Bald Wizards Club

Posted: 10 December 2012 10:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1022 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  10939
Joined  2007-11-06

...heavier than BG?

Signature 

...it’s five minutes to midnight…

I’d rather have a blue sky above me than a blue screen in front of me.

Posted: 10 December 2012 10:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1023 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  0

Possibly, yea.. I can’t recall exactly the poly count on that.  Good question though!

Signature 

Visit my DAZ store

Posted: 10 December 2012 11:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1024 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-06

..well I was able to render a scene with the complete Sacrament and the Mortis texture.

I could only render a scene with a few parts of BG, as loading the entire set crashed the app (3.1A).  However, while working on the Leela and Meggan Grande Harpsichord scene I posted a while back, I discovered that the lamp crystals and floor had high reflectivity settings which was most likely sending memory use through the roof.

Signature 

Posted: 10 December 2012 11:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1025 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  0
Kyoto Kid - 10 December 2012 11:03 PM

..well I was able to render a scene with the complete Sacrament and the Mortis texture.

I could only render a scene with a few parts of BG, as loading the entire set crashed the app (3.1A).  However, while working on the Leela and Meggan Grande Harpsichord scene I posted a while back, I discovered that the lamp crystals and floor had high reflectivity settings which was most likely sending memory use through the roof.

Ah yea, there is that.. you’re right smile

Signature 

Visit my DAZ store

Posted: 11 December 2012 02:06 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1026 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2802
Joined  2009-02-24

Out of interest, which renderer were you using? The built in 3Delight render engine seems to have a lesser overhead than the Reality one, which might be a contributing factor for why it seems slower on my machine.

I won’t even mention SmallLuxGPU… that one has such heavy memory abuse that Reality automatically enables texture rescaling whenever it’s selected!

Signature 

Find me on DeviantArt
Download my free IBL presets for Luxus
Re-upload of Cresent’s awesome pwToon shaders
Create your own Smart Content

Posted: 11 December 2012 06:09 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1027 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7776
Joined  2009-05-14

Daz Studio has the tool needed to let you know how many polys a model has…it is called the “Scene Info Pane” It can give on the total amount in the scene and the poly count for a selected item. But this is only part of the equation big textures is the other and so much more RAM hungry than the geometry when they are 4000 sq.

Signature 

Pete

Somethings to Consider when starting to learn CG

My Gallery

My Render Thread and Tutorials

Proud member of the Bald Wizards Club and Co-operative

Posted: 11 December 2012 09:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1028 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  305
Joined  2003-10-09
Szark - 11 December 2012 06:09 AM

Daz Studio has the tool needed to let you know how many polys a model has…it is called the “Scene Info Pane” It can give on the total amount in the scene and the poly count for a selected item. But this is only part of the equation big textures is the other and so much more RAM hungry than the geometry when they are 4000 sq.

A very useful point.

I’ve often seen people getting really wound up about number of polys and totally forgetting that textures also take up memory. You get used to this with Vue as it falls in a heap and sobs with too many big textures.

Signature 

Freebies

Posted: 11 December 2012 09:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1029 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  0

And sadly I’m guilty of that wink

Signature 

Visit my DAZ store

Posted: 11 December 2012 10:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1030 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1815
Joined  2005-06-08
Jack Tomalin - 11 December 2012 09:50 AM

And sadly I’m guilty of that wink

Good!  I can reduce the resolution on textures if I need to — if something’s sold with just low-res textures that’s a lot harder to fix.  Although for convenience sake (and when I’m working on a deadline time-saving convenience isn’t optional) I’d prefer scenery products to come with both high-res and low-res textures, I realize that’s not usually feasible.

Signature 

~

Hat-wearing member of the Bald Wizards Club

Eyebrow-Free Face Textures — A List

Posted: 11 December 2012 10:48 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1031 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7776
Joined  2009-05-14

I have voiced this before regarding low and high mat presets. Now I may be talking out of turn here but I would have thought providing two presets like this wouldn’t take much more work for the vendor but I will defer to Jack on this and see what Jack says about how much extra work it would take. Batch processing making all the textures a reduced resolution in one hit would be the easiest option. I wonder if we the customer can find a piece of software that can do batch processing for texture resizing like Photoshop CS can do http://photoshop-tutorials.wonderhowto.com/how-to/batch-resize-photo-photoshop-320966/ or GIMP which I haven’t tested in 2.8 http://registry.gimp.org/node/21834 My PS.E 6 doesn’t.

Signature 

Pete

Somethings to Consider when starting to learn CG

My Gallery

My Render Thread and Tutorials

Proud member of the Bald Wizards Club and Co-operative

Posted: 11 December 2012 12:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1032 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1215
Joined  2006-08-31

For batch processing, ImageMagick is another very powerful command-line based alternative (too powerful, some might say wink... but definitely just the thing for setting up a little batch file with )... irfanView also has a quick convenient batch processor as well (especially for “simple” things like just resizing+renaming multiple directories full of photos or textures).

Signature 

Previous post count: 2678 Downloads Hightide Mark: 1708

Posted: 11 December 2012 07:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1033 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  305
Joined  2003-10-09

I use my trusty old Paint Shop Pro 8 to downsize images for Vue. The program does auto-downsizing but I prefer to do it myself so I don’t lose detail.  To semi-automate it I made two scripts, one for 30% and the other for 50% downsize. As obj export collects all the maps in a folder it’s easy to do. It’s worth doing for sets and now I’m doing it for decimated figures that I can use and reuse in the background.

Signature 

Freebies

Posted: 11 December 2012 11:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1034 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-06
HeraldOfFire - 11 December 2012 02:06 AM

Out of interest, which renderer were you using? The built in 3Delight render engine seems to have a lesser overhead than the Reality one, which might be a contributing factor for why it seems slower on my machine.

I won’t even mention SmallLuxGPU… that one has such heavy memory abuse that Reality automatically enables texture rescaling whenever it’s selected!

...as I’m still in 32 bit, I am using the built in 3Delight.  No way will Reality/Lux work on my system.

Signature 

Posted: 12 December 2012 01:21 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1035 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  0
Szark - 11 December 2012 10:48 AM

I have voiced this before regarding low and high mat presets. Now I may be talking out of turn here but I would have thought providing two presets like this wouldn’t take much more work for the vendor but I will defer to Jack on this and see what Jack says about how much extra work it would take. Batch processing making all the textures a reduced resolution in one hit would be the easiest option. I wonder if we the customer can find a piece of software that can do batch processing for texture resizing like Photoshop CS can do http://photoshop-tutorials.wonderhowto.com/how-to/batch-resize-photo-photoshop-320966/ or GIMP which I haven’t tested in 2.8 http://registry.gimp.org/node/21834 My PS.E 6 doesn’t.

Interesting idea.

I can’t say for definite, but I dont recall, at least, being asked to provide low-res textures with all of my products.  As a result I can’t say I’ve really considered it.  If someone has though, I apologise in advance for my senility.

In theory, it’s a few hours work.  But it’s where do you draw the line.  Do you create 3/4 size? 1/2 size? 1/4? All of them?  Do you then create a set of low-resolution cr2’s, or just material files? or both? You’d then have to do the same for both Poser and DS.  It’s certainly do-able, but I’m not sure whether it would be worth it.

I could be totally wrong - and that is where people need to get in touch… and sufficient amounts of people too.  Sadly if there’s just a couple of people it does make it difficult to justify the time (as well as the increased download size).

It’s an interesting topic though, and I’m happy to discuss it further smile

Signature 

Visit my DAZ store

69 of 100