JACK TOMALIN APPRECIATION SOCIETY [JAS III]
Posted: 09 December 2012 08:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1006 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3295
Joined  0
Totte - 09 December 2012 07:10 AM
LycanthropeX - 08 December 2012 04:11 AM

lighting is one of my favorite things to do. granted I use Poser, i think lighting is way harder in Studio

And for me it’s the opposite! I can get lighting the way I want i DS, but in Poser everything looks flat, boring and dull, no matter what I do, even with commercial light sets and max render settings.

Same here smile

Signature 

Part of the Platinum Club admin team
Visit my DAZ store
Honorable member of the Bald Wizards Club

Posted: 09 December 2012 01:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1007 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  305
Joined  2003-10-09

I’ve found the free Poser light sets over at RDNA fairly good for basic things. They need a bit of tweaking and some of the colours don’t work well on people - unless you want greenish tone flesh. I do wish the lights in OpenGL gave a better idea of the brightness as it often feels like stumbling around in the dark if you don’t want it overlit. It’s not my final renderer so I only use it for pics of texture sets.

This is one of RDNA’s moonlights with a bit of tweaking.

Image Attachments
dnamoonlight.jpg
 Signature 

Freebies

Posted: 09 December 2012 03:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1008 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7638
Joined  2009-05-14
Jack Tomalin - 09 December 2012 08:57 AM

lighting is one of my favorite things to do. granted I use Poser, i think lighting is way harder in Studio

And for me it’s the opposite! I can get lighting the way I want i DS, but in Poser everything looks flat, boring and dull, no matter what I do, even with commercial light sets and max render settings.

Same here smile

We found the chink in Jack’s superhero armour and found he is just a plain ordinary hairy bloke. wink  Now I feel so much better knowing that. raspberry

Signature 

Pete

Somethings to Consider when starting to learn CG

My Gallery

My Render Thread

Proud member of the Bald Wizards Club and Co-operative

Posted: 09 December 2012 03:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1009 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3113
Joined  2007-06-22
Baglet - 09 December 2012 01:16 PM

I’ve found the free Poser light sets over at RDNA fairly good for basic things. They need a bit of tweaking and some of the colours don’t work well on people - unless you want greenish tone flesh. I do wish the lights in OpenGL gave a better idea of the brightness as it often feels like stumbling around in the dark if you don’t want it overlit. It’s not my final renderer so I only use it for pics of texture sets.

This is one of RDNA’s moonlights with a bit of tweaking.

Love the outfit especially the top.

Posted: 09 December 2012 03:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1010 ]
RankRank
Joined  2003-10-09

The top and sleeves are Far Journeyer by MAB and Will Dupre - http://www.daz3d.com/shop/far-journeyer with one of my textures (at ShareCG).

The original has a flap thing and knickers but doesn’t seem a good thing to take long journeys in. So I adapt it when I use it. The texture sets are for all the parts, even the ones I never use.

Signature 

Freebies

Posted: 09 December 2012 05:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1011 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  10751
Joined  2007-11-06
Jack Tomalin - 09 December 2012 08:57 AM

Same here smile

...raises hand.  I find positioning/aiming the basic (not UE) Daz lights to work very similar to theatrical lighting.  Distant lights are simply"floods” and spot/point lights speak for themselves. The only thing missing is the falloff (save for point lights).

This is why I wish Dreamlight would update LDP for 4.5. Much simpler (and more logical) workflow than UE or other IBL light systems.

Using the lighting control globe in Poser seems so strange in comparison though in Pro2010 I can take more advantage of ray tracing and AO as I can render in background mode.

Signature 

...it’s five minutes to midnight…

I’d rather have a blue sky above me than a blue screen in front of me.

Posted: 10 December 2012 01:22 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1012 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5578
Joined  2006-02-20

Point lights falloff
http://www.daz3d.com/shop/uberpoint-light-shader-for-daz-studio/
http://www.daz3d.com/shop/uber-lighting-bundle

Signature 

I like Bryce, DazStudio, Poser and Vue ... in alphabetical order. And I would probably like Carrara too, if I could find the time to become acquainted with it. Peace?

Posted: 10 December 2012 01:28 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1013 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  0

+1.. Uberlights are excellent once you get your head around them smile

Signature 

Visit my DAZ store

Posted: 10 December 2012 02:00 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1014 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  10751
Joined  2007-11-06

...but they don’t work like “normal” lights as they still require the appropriate IBL sphere for the setting to make their ambient effects look “right”. 

Not so with LDP. which is built with the standard Daz lights.

Besides without the appropriate render engine and hardware to support it, “true” photo real rendering is a an exercise in futility.  Lux may be good, but standalone engines like VRray, Indigo, Octane, Renderman, and Maxwell are superior in comparison (which is why they cost the big bucks).

Signature 

...it’s five minutes to midnight…

I’d rather have a blue sky above me than a blue screen in front of me.

Posted: 10 December 2012 03:06 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1015 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2751
Joined  2009-02-24

I’ve been playing around with Reality a lot lately and wanted to see how well it could cope with Sacraments stained glass windows. The lighting isn’t optimial, hence the ‘fireflies’ and other artifacts, but I think the initial results speak for themselves. I’m looking forward to seeing how far I can push it to get some truly breathtaking results.

Image Attachments
Defense2.png
 Signature 

Find me on DeviantArt
Download my free IBL presets for Luxus
Re-upload of Cresent’s awesome pwToon shaders
Create your own Smart Content

Posted: 10 December 2012 03:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1016 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  0

Looking pretty sweet there wink

Yea I used Reality in a couple of the Sacrament promos.. slow going, yea, nice results smile

Signature 

Visit my DAZ store

Posted: 10 December 2012 03:41 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1017 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-02-24
Jack Tomalin - 10 December 2012 03:27 AM

Looking pretty sweet there wink

Yea I used Reality in a couple of the Sacrament promos.. slow going, yea, nice results smile

Any tips for getting the lighting optimal? Your reality render of Sacrament is amazing. I assume you used the Reality fog to get the streaks of light through the windows, but I’d love to know what other settings you tweaked to get those results.

One thing I neglected to check before rendering it before was whether there were any ACSEL shaders already designed for Sacrament. I’ve since installed them, so I should at least have the right ‘feel’ for the scene. A lot of what you see there is with my own personal tweaks on the materials used. The stained glass window was the hardest part to get right.

Signature 

Find me on DeviantArt

Posted: 10 December 2012 05:04 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1018 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  0

The light streaks were done in post - they are Lightwave renders, which helped too, but I find usually doing things like that afterwards give you greater control (and means you can tweak stuff without the need to re-render)

Signature 

Visit my DAZ store

Posted: 10 December 2012 06:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1019 ]
RankRank
Joined  2003-10-09

The stained glass effect looks right to me. Here is a photo of the same thing.

Image Attachments
stainedlight.jpg
 Signature 

Freebies

Posted: 10 December 2012 08:24 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1020 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-02-24

I have to admit, I’ve never used Lightwave, so I know very little about it. Interesting that it was done in post though, it gives such a striking effect it’s hard to imagine it as more than one image! Since I’m making heavy use of the set lately, I really want to get the best out of it so there’s a lot of tinkering with the materials to fine tune it for Reality. I’m getting a RAM upgrade tomorrow which should help me a lot with larger sets. My poor PC has been struggling to keep up lately :p

Signature 

Find me on DeviantArt

68 of 100