Digital Art Zone

4 of 5
Carrara is just so unexplanably DIFFERENT ~ bizarrest thread ever (and why we should probably leave)
Posted: 09 March 2013 08:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 46 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  270
Joined  2006-04-26
holly wetcircuit - 09 March 2013 05:38 PM

I see no logical conclusion there. I see a strange inconsistent justification that defies logic.

I feel your pain, I know this all too well from personal experience. The difficulty is that logic and emotional responses don’t mix. Applying logic in similar circumstances will always fail wink

Posted: 09 March 2013 09:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 47 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8231
Joined  2009-07-13

I expressed my disappointment to Chohole once a while back when I learnt of the rules but accepted it as people can make what rules they wish for a comp, it is your choice to enter or not.
instead of picking on them leave them be and start our own comp instead with whatever rules we wish.
and maybe ask Daz for a prize too!

Signature 

WARNING do not click tongue rolleye what video horrors will be seen if you do cannot be unseen.
my render thread
        never forget
A Drows Walk
Jaderail is at it again

Posted: 09 March 2013 11:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 48 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1231
Joined  2004-11-07

But art isn’t a competition.

Posted: 10 March 2013 12:00 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 49 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1694
Joined  0
wendy♥catz - 09 March 2013 09:21 PM

I expressed my disappointment to Chohole once a while back when I learnt of the rules but accepted it as people can make what rules they wish for a comp, it is your choice to enter or not.
instead of picking on them leave them be and start our own comp instead with whatever rules we wish.
and maybe ask Daz for a prize too!

No one is “picking on them” lol. I just keep asking what is so different about Carrara - I’d really like to know…. They seem so convinced of it but can’t articulate it in a believable way that I have to assume they don’t really know themselves (it’s just a feeling, I guess).

And since Chohole claimed no Carrara users had ever said anything before but now you say you had, I think they may have faulty memories as well as faulty logic…?

Signature 

320+ TUTORIALS for Carrara at CARRARA CAFE
C3DE - CARRARA 3D EXPO MAGAZINE - the showcase for Carrara Artists

Posted: 10 March 2013 12:01 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 50 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8231
Joined  2009-07-13

I did not in public but yes, in private not on forum

Signature 

WARNING do not click tongue rolleye what video horrors will be seen if you do cannot be unseen.
my render thread
        never forget
A Drows Walk
Jaderail is at it again

Posted: 10 March 2013 12:18 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 51 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  0

But to your point, it has made me think about how “activities” at Cafe might be structured to be more inclusive…. For instance I’m not too interested in a “contest” or whatever that disallows the use of other programs - but it’s bound to happen that a modelling contest expects everything to be done in Carrara, or a render challenge might exclude Poser content…. How do we learn from this bad example? How do we (at least) have consistent rules…, or possibly run a similar activity that might provide some of the same goals but makes up the difference…. Like having a “content” and “non-content” activity at the same time (or alternating monthlies).

Perhaps more importantly, when grievances arise, how do we deal with them in a way that doesn’t alienate or turn everyone off…?

Signature 

Posted: 10 March 2013 12:51 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 52 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5937
Joined  2006-08-27

If it’s a Carrara cafe contest or challenge that wanted to test the skills of individuals using a Carrara modeler, such as the Spline, Metaball or Vertex Modeler, then I would say the rules should say the object needed to be modeled in Carrara. I could care less what application it was rendered in, as it would be a Carrara modeling challenge.

If it’s a lighting challenge or shader challenge, then I would suggest the rules state that it needed to be rendered in Carrara as they wouldn’t translate well (if at all) to another app. The same would probably be true of a challenge to use volumetric clouds or some other Carrara function that cannot be exported.

If it’s a Carrara render challenge, then I see no reason not to allow custom models or DAZ/Poser style content as long as it’s stated it’s to challenge people to get a better render out of Carrara.

A contest using free content may be a stickier wicket. My feeling is that if it’s in a general forum like DAZ’s Freepository forum, with a DAZ sponsored prize, then the subject of the renders should be the freebies and not the rendering software. If it’s at the Carrara Cafe and it’s clearly stated, then I have no problem with requiring Carrara be the rendering software. If there was a freebie render challenge in the Bryce or DAZ Studio forums, then I wouldn’t consider it exclusionary because that’s the subject of the forum. The Freepository is supposed to be a general 3D forum and should be software agnostic.

If the contest is started as it was years ago and relied on the kindness of other forum members or PAs to provide the prize, then it should be whatever rules they want.

Signature 

I find it somewhat liberating not to be encumbered by accuracy.

Posted: 10 March 2013 01:04 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 53 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  0
evilproducer - 10 March 2013 12:51 AM

If it’s a Carrara cafe contest or challenge that wanted to test the skills of individuals using a Carrara modeler, such as the Spline, Metaball or Vertex Modeler, then I would say the rules should say the object needed to be modeled in Carrara. I could care less what application it was rendered in, as it would be a Carrara modeling challenge.

If it’s a lighting challenge or shader challenge, then I would suggest the rules state that it needed to be rendered in Carrara as they wouldn’t translate well (if at all) to another app. The same would probably be true of a challenge to use volumetric clouds or some other Carrara function that cannot be exported.

If it’s a Carrara render challenge, then I see no reason not to allow custom models or DAZ/Poser style content as long as it’s stated it’s to challenge people to get a better render out of Carrara.

All excellent points, all three! Seems very reasonable…. just compartmentalize the goal.

Signature 

Posted: 10 March 2013 01:11 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 54 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5937
Joined  2006-08-27

OOH! OOH! Another advantage of having a contest/challenge at the Carrara Cafe is that the subject matter can be a bit looser. I might smell another, Create the next Carrara 9 Bimbo(y) challenge! If I can figure out a way to attach images in the Cafe forum that is….

Signature 

I find it somewhat liberating not to be encumbered by accuracy.

Posted: 10 March 2013 01:15 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 55 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  0

LOL! C9 BIMBO(Y) CHALLENGE!

Signature 

Posted: 10 March 2013 07:35 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 56 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1231
Joined  2004-11-07

I prefer a “challenge” over a “contest”. In a challenge everyone that meets the challenge is a winner.  In a contest the wining is more about presenting something the judges are looking for. As in the eye of the beholder.

Thing is I don’t see why a carrara contest on a carrara site should include anything but carrara.  Right now I like the two challenges going on even though the primitives one means UVmapping and texture design; which may take a while lol And the jellyfish one; which has me slammed up against carrara bugs {deleting an animation does not remove it from the scene}

Say it is a lighting challenge with specific scene rules. Must be indoors, must have 4-5 interior lights, must present an intimate mood. In this one any app could be used to setup/build the scene as long as the scene is rendered in carrara.

Posted: 10 March 2013 07:41 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 57 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  658
Joined  2006-09-30

I may need help getting registered at Carrara Cafe.

I have said repeatedly that I very rarely use the email associated with my 3D efforts, and now it seems I used it too little and the email service provider deleted the account, but I only found out after trying to register with it!  Now it says Sockratease is a name in use and I need to choose another.

Is there a way to get my name associated with another email address before activating?

I tried to join a while ago, and when I noticed the email was gone I wasn’t that concerned, as I felt this forum was enough and the Cafe was just one more forum membership to bog me down - so I let it go.

I don’t want to join under another name and am about to go set up some other email and start switching my accounts to use that one.  Once that is done, to whom should I speak (write?)  to get this addressed?

And as for the question at hand in this topic - throughout all my rants about the freebie contest I made clear that it’s theirs to do with as they please, but I vehemently disagree with their logic.  I still got jumped on for expressing a view challenging their rules.

My first guess at their reasons was a jest, but I’m beginning to think it was spot on!

They are afraid of Carrara!

We scare them.

It’s OK.  We really don’t mean to scare them, but apparently we do.

I think my other joke should be taken seriously then.

DAZ should give away Carrara 5 or 6 - just so we can poke more fun at them tongue rolleye

We’ve already ruined any fun we may have at their contest, and the times I did enter it I must admit were fun.  But I was using Carrara (exploiting the “DAZ” Loophole)  (the monthly list of rules stated DAZ was an allowed program, which I chose to interpret the only logical way - Any DAZ software was allowed)  (Surely they should have known better than to state DAZ when they meant to say DAZ Studio, so of course I was obviously correct).

If I were capable of having fun with software that gives me headaches I’d participate, as I find that particular contest to be among the best ones on this site. 

It’s a shame this has caused such a rift.

Where is The Millennium Cow when we really need her?  She’d set things right, I just know it!!

Signature 

MOO!

Posted: 10 March 2013 08:18 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 58 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  0
Sockratease - 10 March 2013 07:41 AM

PM me when you have the email set up.

Signature 

Posted: 10 March 2013 08:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 59 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  658
Joined  2006-09-30
holly wetcircuit - 10 March 2013 08:18 AM

All set!

PM sent too.

Thanks for assisting.

Signature 

MOO!

Posted: 10 March 2013 09:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 60 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  0
Sockratease - 10 March 2013 08:45 AM
holly wetcircuit - 10 March 2013 08:18 AM

All set!

PM sent too.

Thanks for assisting.

wink see you there!

Signature 

4 of 5