Digital Art Zone

2 of 5
Carrara is just so unexplanably DIFFERENT ~ bizarrest thread ever (and why we should probably leave)
Posted: 08 March 2013 04:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1694
Joined  0

Sorry, I meant to say this could be solved with the Millennium Cow (even though it is 13 years past the millenium by now…) smile

Signature 

320+ TUTORIALS for Carrara at CARRARA CAFE
C3DE - CARRARA 3D EXPO MAGAZINE - the showcase for Carrara Artists

Posted: 08 March 2013 04:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15352
Joined  2003-10-09

Poser is included because it’s users equate to at least 50% of this forum community, whether people like to admit it or not, and because Poser Debute is free, not a copy included in the price of a magazine.

And Cows are sometimes the cause of problems, not the solution, but there is a solution to the worst problem about cows.

Image Attachments
cows2.jpg
 Signature 

Chohole’s Space        Neil’Vs Freebies and stuff        L Summer Bryce Rendering Challenge        July Freebie Challenge
My DAZ 3D Gallery    11915

Posted: 08 March 2013 04:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  658
Joined  2006-09-30
chohole - 08 March 2013 04:38 PM

Poser is included because it’s users equate to at least 50% of this forum community, whether people like to admit it or not, and because Poser Debute is free, not a copy included in the price of a magazine.

And Cows are sometimes the cause of problems, not the solution, but there is a solution to the worst problem about cows.

But with DAZ Officially sponsoring the thing now, and with their recent heavy handed insistence on supporting their PA’s and promoting DAZ above all others, I find that to be at least a little hypocritical.

And The Millennium Cow comes with a morph which converts it’s Methane into Ethanol!  It’s part of how it’s release will bring about World Peace.  Just use a Morph Transfer Utility and give this option to ALL Cows everywhere.  Imagine if all that gas suddenly became intoxicating!

The world would be a better place.

Signature 

MOO!

Posted: 08 March 2013 05:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  0

Poser is included because it’s users equate to at least 50% of this forum community, whether people like to admit it or not…

I don’t see anyone denying that, or attacking Poser…. Again this bizarre reaction.

I’m sorry, but if there is any hostility in this thread it is not coming from Carrara Users…. sick

Signature 

Posted: 08 March 2013 05:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2003-10-09

Not in this thread maybe.

Signature 

Chohole’s Space        Neil’Vs Freebies and stuff        L Summer Bryce Rendering Challenge        July Freebie Challenge

Posted: 08 March 2013 05:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4957
Joined  2006-08-27

I don’t think I read anywhere a denial of the number of Poser users. Perhaps I missed something? The point made, which seems to be ignored, is that it’s a bizarre exclusion in a DAZ sponsored contest. I read many times it [the contest] is supposed to be fun. I seem to recall when I was a scrawny little kid, being picked last for the team (or excluded completely) wasn’t particularly fun. I take it as, “go home, you’re not as big as us, we don’t want you to play.” Sounds fun to me. rolleyes

As Sock pointed out in the other thread, nothing is free. You have to be able to pay for the internet connection and fast bandwidth to download DAZ Studio and Poser. You have to pay for the electricity to power your computer. Yes, you may have to pay for a magazine, but it’s still advertised as free, with DAZ’s blessing. Seems to me if something is labeled as free it should be eligible.

It’s whomever’s contest, so they can have whatever rules they want. Even exclusionary rules. Personally, I would think DAZ would want contests to include the widest range of customers.

Signature 

I find it somewhat liberating not to be encumbered by accuracy.

Posted: 08 March 2013 06:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  160
Joined  2008-12-02

Heading over to the Carrara Cafe…........these threads hurt my head.

rich

Signature 

Rich

Favorite items   Cararra   - Modo -    Animation Master-    Houdini

Posted: 08 March 2013 07:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  0
3dView - 08 March 2013 06:44 PM

Heading over to the Carrara Cafe…........these threads hurt my head.

rich

I promise to put in more time getting the new sections at Cafe up to speed in the next few days. We will be able to share Carrara content and have a much better social experience soon…

(without the H83RZ)

Signature 

Posted: 08 March 2013 07:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  608
Joined  2005-03-08

every time I try to head over to carraracafe I get this warning..

any ideas?

Image Attachments
carraracafe.jpg
 Signature 

“I am,... Therefore I think”

Posted: 08 March 2013 09:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  0
Stezza - 08 March 2013 07:44 PM

every time I try to head over to carraracafe I get this warning..

any ideas?

gulp It may be related to the delays in page loads some people are reporting… I think there is an alternate theme that loads if a mobile browser is detected… I am not a super web guru, but I will try to look for what might cause it.

Sorry about that… We have a topic here for cafe… It’s all volunteers but if you want to check in to that thread there is more info…. since you can’t get to the site right now… And I will be doing some more backend clean up over the next 2-3 days….

Signature 

Posted: 09 March 2013 02:13 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  608
Joined  2005-03-08

I uninstalled bitdefender and went back to MS internet security.. can now get onto site

but

was the memberlist deleted at some stage as I had to re-register?

Signature 

“I am,... Therefore I think”

Posted: 09 March 2013 08:29 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1231
Joined  2004-11-07

“Bryce, Hexagon, Blender, Poser and Daz are allowed for the contest.”

Bryce has been but is not now free.
Hexagon has been but is not now free.
Blender has always been free.
Poser has been but is not now free.
Studio is now but has not always been free. 

So how does carrara not fit with those? Other then it is the superior app; except maybe for blender.
Carrara has been but is not free now. It can use the same content as studio or poser, and it can model like hex or blender. So how is it not qualified to be used?

Regardless of personal bias, the only reason I can see for carrara to not be eligible is anticarrara bias. There is no other explanation I can see.
It’s like we have been saying for years, carrarests are the red headed step children of the DAZ family.

BWSman dude, I’ve been trying for years to get it through to newbies that the app is studio the company is DAZ, you should know better wink lol

Go ahead, I know you are going to.

Posted: 09 March 2013 08:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  548
Joined  2007-08-14

So only Poser Debut is allowed?

The rules don’t say that. The rules also allow use of non-free content (easily hundreds of dollars worth), but the software has to be free—unless it’s Poser?

And you’re trying to tell me this is anything other than arbitrary sillyness? Bah humbug.

Edit: Had a memory failure there; apparently non-free items are limited to three. It’s still nonsense though raspberry

Signature 

These are not the tutorials you’re looking for. Move along.
My old profile

Posted: 09 March 2013 08:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2003-10-09

The whole freebie challenge is mostly sillyness. I am really not quite certain why the Carrara people are making such a fuss about the rules after 6 years of it running.

The OP of the thread that Holly linked to did also find fault with the Members Only Contests, which are mainstream contests and feature in the Newsletters etc, whereas our fun Freebie challenge has only ever been seen in the Freepository and until now has only been noticed by people who do use that forum.

I did post options for the OP, including using the learning contests in the NU forum if she wanted to improve her art, and even maybe making a suggestion in the suggestion thread in the NU contest forum to ask for a Carrara only contest, as we have already had a Bryce only one there, although normally they are not app specific, and all apps are welcome.

Signature 

Posted: 09 March 2013 10:06 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 30 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  658
Joined  2006-09-30

I don’t think the consternation is from anything to do with excluding Carrara so much as the flimsy and insulting excuses given for excluding it.

I had more respect for the arrogant and rude “Dems Da Rules” excuse than the whole “well, poser was once free a long time ago, and there’s a crippled and limited free version available now, so the super expensive poser pro is obviously OK - but since Carrara was only free in magazines or beta form - it cannot possibly be considered” excuse.

Face it - the logic there is flawed.

EDIT - Plus the whole thing with DAZ sponsoring it now does change things.  At the very least it invalidates the whole “long 6 year history” excuse because DAZ has certainly not been involved directly for all that time!

Signature 

MOO!

2 of 5