6 of 15
Daz Studio HSS, US and US2 Tutorial planned but want feedback first
Posted: 08 January 2014 08:51 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 76 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  2361
Joined  2007-12-13

You’re doing really well so far,

I’m dyspraxic and can’t really follow fast moving information, like video tutorials, while I’m busy processing one bit, they’ve moved onto the next. Also, my co-ordination isn’t fast enough to click to pause at the right moment either! I can read really well though, and can follow things at my own speed and take it all in. I tend to remember visual things after they’ve happened. It’s great with movies as I see new things each time I watch them.

CHEERS!

Posted: 08 January 2014 09:05 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 77 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8344
Joined  2009-05-14

I prefer vids as I download them, file them properly for easy referencing later and when I am watching I pay note to the time code, pause, rewind, play, pause rewind etc etc.

I am a see monkey do type of person. I see how to do something once I can then go and do it on my own. Like you I want understanding more than just been shown how to do something so I am trying to find a balance between the two.

Signature 

Pete

Somethings to Consider when starting to learn CG

My Gallery

My Render Thread and Tutorials

Proud member of the Bald Wizards Club and Co-operative

Facebook

Posted: 08 January 2014 09:15 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 78 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2007-12-13

If there’s any info, be it on here or as a .pdf, I’ll either cut and paste the info into a word document, or have the .pdt at the page I’m interested in. This is why written stuff like yours is so important to me as I can access it whenever I need to and if I print it out, I don’t even need to have my computer on to read up on it.

CHEERS!

Posted: 08 January 2014 11:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 79 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  351
Joined  2006-12-10

I’m with Roger. I don’t care for video tutorials. Videos are nice for showing things and generating interest. I don’t find them as useful for learning, especially if I’m going to want to reference the material later.

Reasons I dislike them…
1. I have to accept the information at the pace that the presenter offers it. If it is too fast I may miss things (I know I can re-wind and play it again, but my patience for that is limited). If it is too slow, I get bored and may miss the “good stuff”. And sometimes language and accents can make it difficult to understand what is being said.
2. Video tutorials tend to be “raw” information. It is rare that someone who makes a video tutorial goes back and edits it (or even better re-shoots parts). Proofreading / revising just doesn’t seem to happen as much as with written material. And if a “student” points out a flaw in the video tutorial, it is even more rare that the author goes back and revises.
3. They are hard to refer to as reference material. Needing to remember that the discussion of AO settings occurs at 6:34 in the video is a pain. Whereas referring to “Section 6.3” of a written tutorial is much easier. If the tutorial is well put together, you can even bookmark directly to that part if you expect to use it often.
4. I can’t always watch a video. For instance if I’m at work, or sitting next to my wife on the couch, playing a video / audio presentation is too disrupting. Whereas I can read things pretty much any time I choose to.

Videos have uses for me, though. Times I do like them…
1. When the video is very focused on single topics. Making it short and to the point.
2. When describing the topic with words and images (screenshots, examples, etc.) can’t convey the information as well as seeing it occur
3. When the presenter considers pace, ennunciation, etc. when they make the video, keeping their audience in mind.

Signature 

Feel free to read my 3D Tutorial collection, focusing mainly on the technical aspects of 3D rendering.

Posted: 08 January 2014 11:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 80 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-05-14

Well have no fear I will be sticking to PDF’s.

On the subject of AOA’s SSS Shader Vid I just watched it and found it to be one of the best tutorials I have seen in a long day time. smile Seriously good information and almost all of it will translate to Uber Surface no problem. But I do realise my level of knowledge allowed me to see what can be translated across. But how Will explains whilst using graphical references made it so much easier to understand. I even learnt a few things myself, mainly about AOA’s shader base. wink

Signature 

Pete

My Gallery

Facebook

Posted: 09 January 2014 04:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 81 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2007-12-13

One thing I did find that Ubersurface is really good at is reflective surfaces, I followed this eye tutorial by Spyro:

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/viewthread/6376/P75

Now my eyes look amazing!

CHEERS!

Image Attachments
M6_Bjorn_Glass_Eyes.jpg

Posted: 12 January 2014 09:11 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 82 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-05-14

Nice..yes I agree this is why we all say Uber Surfaces still has a place.

Signature 

Pete

My Gallery

Facebook

Posted: 12 January 2014 10:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 83 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2007-12-13

Absolutely,

UberSurface does what it says on the tin and does good general surfaces.

CHEERS!

Posted: 12 January 2014 10:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 84 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-05-14

That is the key “general surfaces” not totally real but realistic enough for most art.

Signature 

Pete

My Gallery

Facebook

Posted: 07 February 2014 05:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 85 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4524
Joined  2007-09-13

I haven’t read through all of this, yet, so if it’s been covered, then excuse my ramblings…

But, I was going through the part discussing the velvet settings and thought I’d share something I’ve been toying with, in that area.

Velvet is supposed to simulate the ‘fine body hairs’/‘peach fuzz’.  So take a look at people.  For the most part dark haired folks have darker fine hairs…light haired, lighter.  People who spend a lot of time in the sun have very light fine hairs, as they sun bleach quicker.  But in any case, they tend to be several shades lighter than more coarse hair or head/eyebrow hair.  I’ve been playing around with trying to match/keep in the same color range the velvet color to the hair color.  It seems to give a ‘unifying’ effect and make it look less like the model just stepped out of the hair salon from a dye job.

Signature 

1432 old posts

My ShareCG gallery.

Just because something costs a lot, doesn’t mean it’s the best…

It just means it’s expensive.

Posted: 07 February 2014 06:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 86 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2007-12-13

It’s a sound concept, and one I’d like to see illustrated with renders and colour numbers.

CHEERS!

Posted: 08 February 2014 05:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 87 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-05-14
mjc1016 - 07 February 2014 05:49 PM

I haven’t read through all of this, yet, so if it’s been covered, then excuse my ramblings…

But, I was going through the part discussing the velvet settings and thought I’d share something I’ve been toying with, in that area.

Velvet is supposed to simulate the ‘fine body hairs’/‘peach fuzz’.  So take a look at people.  For the most part dark haired folks have darker fine hairs…light haired, lighter.  People who spend a lot of time in the sun have very light fine hairs, as they sun bleach quicker.  But in any case, they tend to be several shades lighter than more coarse hair or head/eyebrow hair.  I’ve been playing around with trying to match/keep in the same color range the velvet color to the hair color.  It seems to give a ‘unifying’ effect and make it look less like the model just stepped out of the hair salon from a dye job.

I concur and to be honest I would rather spend the time making fine fibre hair with Garibaldi or LAMH. smile I never did like Velvet for fine hairs on humans. I like to use it as a partner to rim lighting or as you say something that has a unified velvet effect. Thanks for sharing, tis is what I like to see, love it when we can collate information. One day I will get the tutorial finished. It is hard going and hard going to get a balance of info without getting too deep in the serious tech side. But in order to understand some of the functions and how to use them some advanced info may be required. I will try and get it down to plain English as much as possible. It helps being dyslexic so dumbing down for me is easy, getting it there from the jargon is hard.

Signature 

Pete

My Gallery

Facebook

Posted: 08 February 2014 06:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 88 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-05-14
Rogerbee - 07 February 2014 06:54 PM

It’s a sound concept, and one I’d like to see illustrated with renders and colour numbers.

CHEERS!

I am working hard, with help, on getting the reference images to speak words so the meaning is clear with accompany text for more detail. It is a whole new way of teaching for me but more on the professional lines IMHO.

Signature 

Pete

My Gallery

Facebook

Posted: 09 February 2014 02:22 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 89 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2007-12-13

US2 is also great for worn and dirty clothes, I used the corroded preset on this zombie’s clothes and I think I changed the scale to vary the effect on the jeans from that on the top.

CHEERS!

Image Attachments
M6_Z_Full_02.jpg

Posted: 09 February 2014 08:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 90 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  351
Joined  2006-12-10
Szark - 08 February 2014 05:57 PM

It is hard going and hard going to get a balance of info without getting too deep in the serious tech side. But in order to understand some of the functions and how to use them some advanced info may be required. I will try and get it down to plain English as much as possible. It helps being dyslexic so dumbing down for me is easy, getting it there from the jargon is hard.

I know what you mean. Even in the basic tutorials I’ve written, I keep thinking about all the exceptions to the “rules” that I talk about. And I’m only dealing with the base parts of the default shader so far. smile

I told my wife the other day that I keep thinking about the quote from Einstein…

If you can’t explain something in simple terms, then you don’t understand it well enough.

Signature 

Feel free to read my 3D Tutorial collection, focusing mainly on the technical aspects of 3D rendering.

6 of 15