My Render Thread and Tutorials

Proud member of the Bald Wizards Club and Co-operative

Facebook

Posted: 17 March 2014 09:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 197 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8186
Joined  2009-05-14

Replacing UE2 at Max Ray Trace depth of 3 with one AoA Ambient light or Point cloud makes a 14 hours render to just over 2 hours at a Max Ray Trace depth of 4.

3 Uber Spots and Scripted Render with Point cloud and occulsion

Image Attachments
rs9e.png
 Signature 

Pete

Somethings to Consider when starting to learn CG

My Gallery

Facebook

Posted: 17 March 2014 11:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 198 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  793
Joined  2012-02-12
Szark - 17 March 2014 05:24 AM

yes to 0,10

Put your Cloud shading rate at 4 or more. When rendering in Point cloud mode you don’t need a lot of points to compute the occlusion or others effects. The shader calculations will occure on each point of the cloud and the rest will be interpolated

That is why this tech is used. It can yield tremendous speed gain. But you have to know a bit how to use it

When using a cloud shading rate of 0.1 you are making a very dense cloud which means a lot of (unnecessary) calculations.

Signature 

My Deviant Art

Posted: 17 March 2014 11:32 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 199 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-05-14

Thank you Takeo I will give that a try once I go through your post looking up what certain words mean. wink

Signature 

Pete

My Gallery

Facebook

Posted: 17 March 2014 12:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 200 ]
RankRank
Joined  2012-02-12

Lol just ask when you don’t understand. I’ll try to rephrase or eventually make some quick schema or screen captures to get you to understand the process

Signature 

My Deviant Art

Posted: 17 March 2014 01:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 201 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-05-14

Thanks but I like to find out myself (helps me learn better if I go looking) which I have and now I understand but I will bare that in mind for the future, just in case. wink

I am really liking the Point Cloud thingy. I have noticed that the surfaces and light strength need adjusting when using it but I love the speed and quality.

Signature 

Pete

My Gallery

Facebook

Posted: 17 March 2014 01:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 202 ]
RankRank
Joined  2012-02-12

That is the good attitude. It is always better to try to understand on it’s own. That is the best way to understand and memorize thing

I’ve just read the preceding posts and I just understood what you were seeking and I’m afraid what I told you can’t help for your problem with uberpoints (that I don’t have so I don"t know how these work. I’m of little help there). What I said about the cloud shading rate will just have a speed impact. Sorry

I would seek for a quality knob on the uberspot if I was you as it seems to be some problems on reflection. If there aren’t then you’ll be limited to plaing with max trace depth as you’ve already did if I’m right

Signature 

My Deviant Art

Posted: 17 March 2014 02:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 203 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-05-14

Thanks yes I have learnt that way all my life and only recently have been asking for help and buzzing from it.

Uber lights aren’t the problem with causing artefacts. It happens with AoA’s Advanced Spot and dzpoint shader lights but thanks anyway for looking. much appreciated Takeo

Signature 

Pete

My Gallery

Facebook

Posted: 17 March 2014 02:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 204 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4545
Joined  2007-09-13
Szark - 17 March 2014 02:07 PM

Thanks yes I have learnt that way all my life and only recently have been asking for help and buzzing from it.

Uber lights aren’t the problem with causing artefacts. It happens with AoA’s Advanced Spot and dzpoint shader lights but thanks anyway for looking. much appreciated Takeo

I’m not quite able to reproduce that effect…what is the metallic shader you are using on the legs?  (don’t have uberspots/points, so I can’t test those)

Signature 

1432 old posts

My ShareCG gallery.

Just because something costs a lot, doesn’t mean it’s the best…

It just means it’s expensive.

Posted: 17 March 2014 02:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 205 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-05-14

Thanks Mjc. Uber Surface with no spec at all, 100% reflection a light grey, Diffuse Grey blue, 1.00 blur, Fresnel 10% (could do with being higher for Point Cloud me thinks which I am testing now) fall off 0.40 again trying 1.00 and Fresnel sharpness 80% IOR 2.50.

Signature 

Pete

My Gallery

Facebook

Posted: 18 March 2014 08:28 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 206 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  466
Joined  2008-06-25
Takeo.Kensei - 13 March 2014 02:18 PM

For what I know you have Fresnel everywhere and as you have reflections in metals you have a Fresnel term http://sirkan.iit.bme.hu/~szirmay/fresnel.pdf

Thanks! But that would be that “micro” effect of Fresnel which gives the “metallic” colour shift to reflected light, right? The shift we are used to faking through explicitly setting spec/reflection colours. Not the general “macro” dielectric Fresnel thing that makes reflection at glancing angles stronger overall, without colour shifting.

And the Fresnel term in the Uber family (and in generally popular shading models like Cook-Torrance as well, I think) only works for the latter, “macro” effect.

As for “how”... now that’s a question I´d like to ask Omnifreaker actually, “how come you did not include at least an option to properly base Fresnel on IOR?!” LOL It’s a giant pain to try and approximate real IOR-based Fresnel behaviour with those controls.

Speaking of “physically plausible” shading, have you tried it? I haven’t yet… I’m still basically teaching myself to write “oldschool” RSL, I’m not sure it’s worth skipping the “basics” in favour of the shiniest toys…

Signature 

do your research before blaming 3Delight for shortcomings of your renders

dA gallery link in profile along with anything else you may need to know about me

my thread with freebies

Posted: 18 March 2014 08:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 207 ]
RankRank
Joined  2008-06-25
Szark - 15 March 2014 06:45 AM

Here you go

Thanks a lot! How interesting, I’d never thought of using any reflection for rubber/foam…

Signature 

dA gallery link in profile along with anything else you may need to know about me

my thread with freebies

Posted: 18 March 2014 08:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 208 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-05-14

my pleasure.
I read that nearly every surface in nature is reflective at some degree and that there is never a true matt surface and though we don’t see I it as it is so subtle.

Signature 

Pete

My Gallery

Facebook

Posted: 18 March 2014 09:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 209 ]
RankRank
Joined  2008-06-25
Szark - 18 March 2014 08:57 AM

my pleasure.
I read that nearly every surface in nature is reflective at some degree and that there is never a true matt surface and though we don’t see I it as it is so subtle.

Yes it’s true… it’s just that I got used to using reflections for more or less “mirror-like” surfaces only, since mapped reflections glow in the dark, and blurred raytraced reflections are slow…

Here’s a couple of cool posts from John Hable’s site, in case there is anyone here who’s missed them:
http://filmicgames.com/archives/547
http://filmicgames.com/archives/557

Signature 

my thread with freebies

Posted: 18 March 2014 10:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 210 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-05-14

Sweet. I hear you as I had a 32 bit system but now that I have upgraded I can push the boat out using ray traced blurred reflections.

I will take a look at those links later after my evening meal, thank you.

Signature 

Pete

My Gallery

Facebook

14 of 15