Digital Art Zone

1 of 15
Daz Studio HSS, US and US2 Tutorial planned but want feedback first
Posted: 08 March 2013 09:16 AM   [ Ignore ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7838
Joined  2009-05-14

Now that I borrowed a machine that can run DS4.51.56 I can finally get around to a few things.

Firstly HSS (Human Skin Shader), Uber Surface and Uber Surface 2 but before I wade in a sharing with what I think I know I want to ask you (blanket you) if you think I am ready to part with my hard earned knowledge. This is a WIP but I wanted to see if I am worthy of the task I put before me. If you think the image below is good, skin and eyes wise then I will progress and get everything down on virtual paper. But I warn you this is going to take time so please be patient.

I have used Uber Surface on nearly every surface and use SSS on all the skin and eye whites and teeth. Also added fresnel and refraction on the Corneas etc..

I am still learning about all this as I go but in the last 2 days I have learned all sorts about Fresnel (though I am still testing this to really understand how it works in Daz Studio), refraction and the respective IOR (Index of Refraction).

Image Attachments
brockfinalbest_copy3Small.jpg
 Signature 

Pete

Somethings to Consider when starting to learn CG

My Gallery

My Render Thread and Tutorials

Proud member of the Bald Wizards Club and Co-operative

Posted: 08 March 2013 10:00 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  41
Joined  0

I would welcome a tutorial that could help me achieve results similar to your post.
Only snag is I don’t have Uber Surface 2, just what comes with DS4.5
I will gladly follow along as far as I am able with what I have.

Posted: 08 March 2013 10:32 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-05-14

Yeah hence the title I will cover all three, the two, HSS and Uber Surface, that comes with Daz Studio and the piad for Uber Surface 2. There isn’t much between them really.

Signature 

Pete

My Gallery

Posted: 08 March 2013 10:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  68
Joined  2011-05-27

Given that the lack of DS documentation and decent tutorials is the single most maddening thing about it all, it’s rather funny that you ask. I, personally, would be most grateful. I tried to play with USS2, but got nowhere despite trying very very hard to decipher the totally inadequate list of features (presented as documentation) on Omnifreaker’s site.

Pretty please!

BTW, the image looks very good!

Posted: 08 March 2013 10:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-05-14

Thanks

Yes there is some serious learning involved and I must warn people My Example settings will not do for all or if any other skin textures. You will have to adjust and test render for each skin set but if you start with a base then you can work from there. This is my hope to give you a starting point and a little more understanding what does what.

It will take me afair amount of time typing out and render images but I hope it will be worth it.

Signature 

Pete

My Gallery

Posted: 08 March 2013 11:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  187
Joined  2012-02-05

I would love to be able to do what you have done but truly don’t have a clue as to how, so i would appreciate a tutorial if you have the time to make one , so thanks in advance.

Posted: 08 March 2013 11:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6479
Joined  2005-08-15

I think that would be a great idea Pete!

Looking forward to it, I know very little about Uber anything smile

Posted: 08 March 2013 05:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-05-14

Yeah no problem Jimmy and herman.

I will see how the response goes and take it from there. I will cover applying Uber Suraces to other surfaces apart from skin like the shirt and Gun (not shown above).

Signature 

Pete

My Gallery

Posted: 08 March 2013 05:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2945
Joined  2011-12-10

one of the things I have a hard time with in UberSurface and HumanSurface is getting SSS to do anything I can see.  I can’t seem to get SSS to show up as a factor in my final renders… I used to think I did, but now… not so sure…

Signature 

My DeviantArt Galleries
My ShareCG Gallery
OPENSUBDIV Testing and Discussion
3Delight Surface and Lighting Thread

Posted: 08 March 2013 06:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2814
Joined  2009-02-24

My own experiments have taught me a lot about using UberSurface2 and a whole raft full of info on SSS. Despite all of this, there are still some things I found that were either undocumented or seemingly fruitless. I’m not going to lie, your results above are pretty impressive. Not least of all is the visible veins. Not sure if that’s due to SSS, or an impressive diffuse setup, but it really makes it a lot more real.

Whatever you used to get those results, I’d be a very attentive student if you shared your secret.

Signature 

Find me on DeviantArt
Download my free IBL presets for Luxus
Re-upload of Cresent’s awesome pwToon shaders
Create your own Smart Content

Posted: 09 March 2013 03:04 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5743
Joined  2006-02-20

*sits down and waits*

Signature 

I like Bryce, DazStudio, Poser and Vue ... in alphabetical order. And I would probably like Carrara too, if I could find the time to become acquainted with it. Peace?

Posted: 09 March 2013 06:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-05-14
wancow - 08 March 2013 05:39 PM

one of the things I have a hard time with in UberSurface and HumanSurface is getting SSS to do anything I can see.  I can’t seem to get SSS to show up as a factor in my final renders… I used to think I did, but now… not so sure…

What Max Ray Trace Depth were you using 2 or more will work better but also lighting plays a big part.

Signature 

Pete

My Gallery

Posted: 09 March 2013 06:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-05-14
HeraldOfFire - 08 March 2013 06:31 PM

My own experiments have taught me a lot about using UberSurface2 and a whole raft full of info on SSS. Despite all of this, there are still some things I found that were either undocumented or seemingly fruitless. I’m not going to lie, your results above are pretty impressive. Not least of all is the visible veins. Not sure if that’s due to SSS, or an impressive diffuse setup, but it really makes it a lot more real.

Whatever you used to get those results, I’d be a very attentive student if you shared your secret.

OK viens are not my doing But Zev) excellent Vascularity product on Rendo..sorry not allowed to provide a link. With this set being M/V4 only I used it on Geneisis with a M4 skin texture set.

Signature 

Pete

My Gallery

Posted: 09 March 2013 06:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-05-14
Kerya - 09 March 2013 03:04 AM

*sits down and waits*

hope you are comfortable…it’s going to be along ride.

Signature 

Pete

My Gallery

Posted: 09 March 2013 06:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  691
Joined  2010-03-13

Personally I am getting the best SSS results with pwSurface2, I never really managed to get specularity to play nicely in combination with SSS in uberSurface2 - it always looks a bit ‘weak’ compared to pwSurface2 when trying to go for shinier surfaces. Nevertheless I use uberSurface2 especially for the second material layer and there is certainly the workaround of using the second layer as ‘specular boost’ so to say, but that is more like a workaround as I said.

So any discussion and tutorials on especially uberSurface2 would be welcome for me, perhaps I am just missing something there. Needless to say that tutorials are always a good thing :D

Posted: 09 March 2013 07:05 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-05-14

Yeah I hear you on pwsurface which I do use and can set up for skin but UberSurface (one) is part of Daz Studio hence why I settled for that. We could have a discusion here about pwSurface too but I will mainly concentrate on Uber Surface that comes with Daz Studio with a little bit on US2 and the differences it has.

Signature 

Pete

My Gallery

1 of 15