Digital Art Zone

2 of 3
New 2 DAZ. Curious about Hexagon
Posted: 10 March 2013 07:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  277
Joined  2005-09-15

Kerkythea is NOT a modeling programme.    It is a RENDERING programme.  So it’s not surprising you don’t think much of it’s modeling tools.  smile

I run Hexagon on my Win 7 64bit O/S.  You should not need to run it in compatibility mode as it will automatically load into the x86 program section.  It is unknown exactly what the poly limit is but you shouldn’t run into any major problems at this stage of your learning.  cheese

Animals ?  If that is what you are into then yes, Hexagon is perfectly able to model animals, the question is though;  are you ?

afreaginname is quite right, you do really need to beef up your ram as Win 7 will take a rather large bite out of your existing 4 Gb.  Patching Hexagon to take advantage of more than the 32 bit memory limit does help though.  Also as he indicated you do need a half decent stand alone graphics card preferably a Nvidia as generally they seem to be more capable of handling the graphics which we throw at them.

Signature 

Cheers, Fanners.raspberry

Posted: 10 March 2013 08:33 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  261
Joined  2013-02-28

Am I? In the computer? Not yet, but I usually learn faster than most. On paper? I’ve been drawing people since age 7 next to an older sister who was drawing horses with excellence since she was about the same age and an even older sister who was equally as gifted. Classic art learning teaches basic shape, then quickly forces the learning of human anatomy. Once that is mastered the artist can draw about anything. When I was 11 I won the grand prize in a science fair for a project on animation which included a sequence of about 100 frames drawn on standard typing bond with a light table I’d built myself a couple years earlier. Of course I was running a turning lathe, drill press and band saw at age 8. It wasn’t till I was in my late twenties that I focused on paintings of animals.

Here’s a sample of some of my work from the 80’s. What I saw in the Hex promotion page is it can apparently do extrusions, chamfers, rounds, blobs and, last but not least, cloth and other soft stuff. Yep! I’m in. Just waiting till the financial wheel rolls the right direction and that is only kept at bay by early month reservation, in case some great urgent need presents itself in this century of surprises. Look at the work. Considering I learned first DOS, then AutoLisp, then BASIC, then C/C++, then Assembly Language, then VB, then Delphi, mostly on my own and wrote a reasonably stable clone of ProE5 with Delphi and EBasic for some added 3space commands, it shouldn’t take that long before I’m up to speed with the rest of you. wink

Image Attachments
SIGNS1.JPG
 Signature 

The Universe is a hairball. It was made by Fritz the Cat.raspberry Einstein claimed it was a plate of spaghetti, but you don’t want to know what transpired between him and Elsa for him to arrive at such a eureka moment…

Posted: 10 March 2013 08:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
RankRank
Joined  2013-02-28

Incidentally, the only part of all that work I don’t do is the neon (mercury vapor tubes, in the Baby Place channel letters) and other glasswork… yet. The baby in that job was airbrushed with Spray lat sign laquers and the other lit panels use the same paint. In the 70’s I made some of my living, between engineering journeys, by doing trick paint and van murals. Lions and tigers and bears, oh my…

In your opinion, though, I could start with bones and build outward using Hex, DAZ and Bryce? Imagining it will take me a few months to become proficient at those and Blender, I’d be flush enough to build a more advanced machine. I worked at Bendix Aerospace as an electronics tech for quite a while, so pretty much know how to build a server type of machine. I’m ESD solder certified and even have some SMD experience.

I really appreciate your input on the recommendations and technical aspects. I’m already planning months ahead.

Signature 

The Universe is a hairball. It was made by Fritz the Cat.raspberry Einstein claimed it was a plate of spaghetti, but you don’t want to know what transpired between him and Elsa for him to arrive at such a eureka moment…

Posted: 10 March 2013 12:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
RankRank
Joined  2005-09-15

LOL  Well that put me politely in my place.  You surely seem to have all the necessary skill sets.  Wish that I was so blessed.  cheese

However, someone who does the type of modeling that you are obviously going to do will probably jump in with their first hand knowledge. For my part it is second hand, as I’m not really into modeling figures/.animals.  But I can say that as far as I’m aware one does not model a figure as in the classic anatomy methodology in Hexagon!  I’m not saying it’s not done, just that I’ve never seen it done.

In view of your aim I would have thought that you obviously also need to try out is this   http://www.zbrushcentral.com/forumdisplay.php?110-Sculptris-Main-Forum  the FREE baby brother of Zbrush in both cases think of a lump of clay but on your computer.  That said, you can sculpt in Hexagon, although not with quite the same tools as can be found in either Sculptris nor Zbrush.

Regarding Daz it most certainly is centred around figures and accompanying content.  Genesis would appear to be a great morphing model, with which, if you are into that sort of thing will give countless hours of enjoyment.  Just not my scene.  So wait until more knowledgeable members will hopefully chime in.

Best of luck and enjoy.  grin

Signature 

Posted: 10 March 2013 01:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
RankRank
Joined  2013-02-28

I really had no intention of putting you in your place. I was elaborately answering your question (although THAT may have been attmpting to dethrone my arrogance… ;=) ). Mom was a deft artist, Dad was a master carpenter (he pioneered the fold-up speaker industry at ElectroVoice…), last child LC) has to be VERY creative to compete with two buggy zitsters, so finding the 3 year old LC organized enough to be well on the way to building an undercamber airplane (Sky King influenced) in returning from work one day should have been expected. I remember that as my first spanking; not for building the airplane in the living room, but for using Dad’s wood without permission. It took years to get over the fear of the 6’-3” giant of a craftsman. You’d think he’d have noticed that his 3 YEAR OLD, for God’s sake, was wielding his hammer and had a working concept of an aircraft from a TV show…

Not intending to boast. With excellence comes arrogance. With arrogance comes calamity, often accompanied by irony. If you are a regular guy with a paintbrush who simply has a deft understanding of Cartesian coords, and software, consider yourself blessed. The more gifts you get, the more the Grinches are there to steal them.

Your input is certainly welcome and I’ll check out the Zbrush site. Isn’t Zbrush itself OpenGL? Do you have a gallery page of your work somewhere?

Beyond that, sometimes the student ends up teaching the teachers a few things during the teachings. Barring any calamity this week, I’ll transfer funds next weekend, a few days later I’ll unwrap the package and likely will have a good number of questions, same as I do now with Blender.

Where I’ll be eventually wanting input is how difficult it is to sell one’s work.

Toodles…

Signature 

Posted: 10 March 2013 03:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
RankRank
Joined  2005-09-15

wink  May the force be with you.  I shall watch with great interest.  smile

Signature 

Posted: 10 March 2013 04:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
RankRank
Joined  2013-02-28

grin ROFL!

Just place no great expectations on short order. When you’re up to your waist in alligators, it’s hard to remember your original purpose was to drain the swamp.wink

Signature 

Posted: 11 March 2013 07:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  142
Joined  2010-02-05

I’m not a great modeler by any means, but I found Hex relatively simple, GeekAtPlay.com has some great tutorials.

Posted: 11 March 2013 08:01 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
RankRank
Joined  2013-02-28

I imagine it’ll all pull together as I actually get the software. Blender is helping me understand riggings better.

Signature 

Posted: 12 March 2013 05:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
RankRank
Joined  2013-02-28

Hi RedSquare,

Downloaded Sculptris. That’s pretty cool! I have to explore it some more, but it just might prove a valuable tool. I haven’t yet looked at it’s output file capabilities, as in export.

Getting along with Blender, but have a long way to go there. Still plan to go with hex and Bryce as I’ve mentioned. It’s a shame those two don’t have shareware trials to get a feel for.

Thanx for pointing me toward Sculptris.

Signature 

Posted: 12 March 2013 06:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
RankRank
Joined  2005-09-15

My pleasure.  Enjoy. Just save as a .obj and after UV’s & materials added take it into either Blender or Kerkythea and ~ render!

If you are getting to grips with Blender all power to your mouse/tablet, I keep dipping my toe in the water but quickly withdraw, perhaps one day I’ll get serious ‘cause I have to say it sure is becoming a not ‘arf bad piece of software whose development cycle is a wonder to behold.  grin

Signature 

Posted: 12 March 2013 07:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
RankRank
Joined  2013-02-28

I did find a drawback, though not a deal breaker. I imported an object from DAZ into it to rework and it slowed down to a snail’s pace. Nonetheless, it is useful for adding details to skin. As of now I’m trying to get some feedback on DAZ itself so I can learn how to rig an object imported, which, from Sculptris to DAZ, succeeds quite well. I learn best from reading, rather than the videos. Everywhere I go, YouTube is touted as the way and I’ve even been snubbed in some forums because I don’t want it. I run out of razors trying to keep shaved during views or even downloads, those too being a hassle at certain times of the day or evening because I get knocked off and i don’t want to rely on someone to knock me up in the wee hours (unless of course it’s my wife presenting the Oui hours…) so I can have priority data speeds.

Scuptris is so simple to use that little help is needed. DAZ needs a written manual, preferably a .pdf file one can download. I’ve gone to the DAZ help site, even put in a search on a particular subject (rigging, in this case) drawing a blank. That could be a deal breaker.

Have you ever tried Cybermotion?
http://cybermotion-3d-designer.en.softonic.com/

It’s a bit pricier than Bryce, though less than Carrara, but the scene objects are well automated and I’ve always found it excellent as a renderer, modeler and environment tool. Lots of capabilities, same as Blender, but, like Blender, it’s not a CAD/CAE app.

Signature 

Posted: 12 March 2013 10:37 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]
RankRank
Joined  2013-02-28

I just did an experiment to see how well Cybermotion works with DAZ.

A bit of playing with scale and such will be involved, but to create the mountin, get from the ‘puter with CYBer to DAZ on this machine and get to these rendering points took all of 10 minutes.

Image Attachments
DAZCYBERtest2.JPG
 Signature 

Posted: 12 March 2013 07:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]
RankRank
Joined  2005-09-15

Cybermotion?

No can’t say I have, I’ll look into it.  10minutes, not bad not bad at all.  I use World Machine or Terragen 2 for mountains.  Thanks for the link.  smile

Signature 

Posted: 12 March 2013 08:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 30 ]
RankRank
Joined  2013-02-28

Least I can do for the sake of fair exchange. Everyone has been helpful. I’ve already made progress.

A question about Hex:

Does it allow for generatrix type objects, such as a revolve or a sweep. I’d think an extrude would be a given.

Signature 

2 of 3