Digital Art Zone

1 of 3
New 2 DAZ. Curious about Hexagon
Posted: 08 March 2013 09:14 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  261
Joined  2013-02-28

Basically that. I’m considering buying Hexagon, but have heard mixed reviews in the Commons Forum. Could those of you who use it regularly explain the pros and cons of the software, please?

One issue mentioned is stability. One concern I’ve had is the learning curve, say compared to Blender. Another is limitations with DAZ 4.5, in that if I create a wide selection of say plants in Hexagon, would DAZ be able to incorporate a plethora… like build a jungle?

How difficult would it be to create true to life animals?

Get Hexagon or just stick to learning Blender or both?

Signature 

The Universe is a hairball. It was made by Fritz the Cat.raspberry Einstein claimed it was a plate of spaghetti, but you don’t want to know what transpired between him and Elsa for him to arrive at such a eureka moment…

Posted: 08 March 2013 10:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  263
Joined  0

Hexagon is temperamental and a bit buggy but if you use it correctly and validate and collapse dynamic geometry when you should i find hexagon a great solution for modeling and much simpler than blender. your other concerns are related to your computer and its limitations. any computer but a mainframe has them and in 3d you always have to watch your polygon limits. hope this is helpful, id buy it, which i did

Posted: 08 March 2013 10:51 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRank
Joined  2013-02-28

Thanx for the info.

I am on a PC. W7. 64bit. 2Ghz. 4MbRAM. 500Gb HD.  Is that adequate for most work or are we into ROFL mode?

Signature 

The Universe is a hairball. It was made by Fritz the Cat.raspberry Einstein claimed it was a plate of spaghetti, but you don’t want to know what transpired between him and Elsa for him to arrive at such a eureka moment…

Posted: 08 March 2013 12:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRank
Joined  0

you wouldn’t want to create a scene in hex or any modeler, you create the mesh and bring it in to your 3d program and create the scene there. one wouldn’t create a series of plants as you say in hex but one at a time and export them to your scene creation program. hex is not a rendering engine as is blender or daz. strictly modeling. for that its more than adequate , for rendering again it would depend on the size of the scene you wanted to render and your processor. your set up, i think you meant 4 gigabytes of ram could be beefed up. your graphic card is important the more cores the better and a dedicated hard drive for virtual memory

Posted: 08 March 2013 01:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRank
Joined  2013-02-28

Yes. I did mean 4GbRAM.  This is a one year old Acer with a Celeron quad core. I imagine by the time I get serious about super-realism, I’ll get a new machine with 12 or 16 GbRAM and likely a high end graphics card.

For now… wouldn’t it be possible to build a group of plants on a cloth structure, say a few clumps of grass, import them, then manipulate them to no end so the cloth wrapped itself around say a mound or a porous rock? As for the environment, I’m working at learning Blender, but leaning toward getting Bryce along with hex. I’m saying that I do know the difference, being reasonably adept at 3D modeling, but also having messed with Vue a bit. Vue needs too many add-ons, especially for my current budget, although it’s promising and works well on my desktop PC in XP32bit with 2GbRAM.

That’s good to know about the HD for virtual memory. I hadn’t thought of that. DAZ looks like it can do quite a bit and I have that.

I appreciate all input from you folks, even if it’s a bit redundant, or even if I’M a bit redundant. Different thoughts from different perspectives and user levels is great for learning about the tools, the tool makers and fellow end users…

Signature 

Posted: 08 March 2013 02:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRank
Joined  0

im glad i was a little bit helpful.  i dont use blender but in carrara, u could use a softbody object let it drape over a rock or something use a distribution map in a shader on the softbody for your grass or whatever. you wouldnt have to use real instances of the grass saves a lot of processing time and file size   you couldnt do this in hex it has no physics engine

Posted: 08 March 2013 02:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRank
Joined  2013-02-28

Time will tell. I’m not even a week into learning all this yet…

Signature 

Posted: 08 March 2013 02:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRank
Joined  0

good luck, and enjoy

Posted: 08 March 2013 08:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  280
Joined  2011-05-02

When I first started with Hexagon I found it frustrating, still do sometimes
I have and do use many 3d apps and have a heap on my pc. I must say that Hexagon now seems to be in my modelling work flow on all of my projects, I feel it has one of, if not, the, cleanest and easiest to navigate interfaces of all of them. Great for the hobbyist and pro alike.
If you know about mesh modelling and some of the pitfalls with bad meshes then I think the ‘bugs’ in hex tend to be more infrequent smile

all the best.

Posted: 08 March 2013 09:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRank
Joined  2013-02-28

As a coding monkey who single handedly cloned ProE5, I know about “bugs” from bloodshot eyes staring at a code editor…. and giving up to simply live with them. AutoCAD was famous for needing patches. My clone works reasonably well, but there are times when it flat out fails, so I’ve been looking for more stable programs. Plus biomorphic models have been a long time quest recently revisited. I have to transfer funds to PayPal after next week’s banking mission, then I’ll likely get both Hex and Bryce. It sounds like both are well liked with some minor qualms. Could be much worse I’m sure. Till I do get it, I’ll start purusing some other threads just to get the feel of other members here.
Thanx for the opinion and input.

Signature 

Posted: 09 March 2013 01:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  277
Joined  2005-09-15

Well now, welcome to the world of Hexagon.  Regarding which proggy to render with, it may be that this one http://www.kerkythea.net/joomla/ will be of interest to you.  Don’t think that because it’s free that it is useless.  It also comes in a 64 bit version which is called Echo Boost.  The forums are great and the members will do all they can to help beginners and the material library and user materials are superb.

It does have a pro big brother which has evolved from Kerkythea.  So in the case of the latter, give it a try, won’t cost you anything but time, this one is the one to try ~ Kerkythea 2008 Echo Update (v2.0.19)  . grin

Signature 

Cheers, Fanners.raspberry

Posted: 09 March 2013 02:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRank
Joined  2013-02-28

Okay…  I take it Hex is only 32bit?

Signature 

Posted: 09 March 2013 07:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  277
Joined  2005-09-15

Yes.  smile

Signature 

Cheers, Fanners.raspberry

Posted: 09 March 2013 08:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
RankRank
Joined  2013-02-28

Actually that’s not so bad. I’m running most of this on W7 64bit. I imagine I’d need to run it in compatibility mode, or does it load normally?

Same as for Bryce, I’ll be getting it in a couple weeks. Till then I’m asking queries about various things like networking. As for Hex, will it be difficult to model a horse or other animals?

Signature 

Posted: 09 March 2013 08:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  250
Joined  2009-01-27
dot_bat - 08 March 2013 12:11 PM

...your set up, i think you meant 4 gigabytes of ram could be beefed up. your graphic card is important the more cores the better and a dedicated hard drive for virtual memory

If you look at my tagline, you’ll see that you don’t need high-end specs for hexagon to run efficiently. I have only 2 cores and 2 gigs of ram, and hexagon rarely crashes.

Also, a “dedicated hard drive for virtual memory” would be a complete waste of time and resources. OSs simply don’t need that much room for scratchpadding data, and hard drives are like the proverbial molasses compared to the speed of ram. And one other tip: Unless a user has a specific reason and KNOWS EXACTLY WHAT HE’S DOING, a user should NEVER set the page file to a fixed size. Changing the allocation almost invariably results in a clunky machine that spends all its time swapping data back and forth between ram and pagefile. Let the OS dynamically allocate its own paging (which is the default state when windows is set up).

Signature 

For any arguments or illustrations I give, my system specs are:
Hexagon version 2.5.1.79,  XP pro 32 bit,  pentium core2 duo,  ATI radeon 3870, 2 gigs ram

Posted: 09 March 2013 08:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
RankRank
Joined  2013-02-28

I just downloaded and checked out the kerkythea modeler. Not that impressed with modeling tools.

One thing it stated about “billions of vertices” had me wondering if there’s a limit in Hex…

Signature 

1 of 3