Digital Art Zone

2 of 3
Rendering- Zero Percent-
Posted: 06 March 2013 05:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6947
Joined  2012-09-10

The forums images are darkening- sorry you can’t see the first two sets. But you can see the dragonfly/waterfall one.

Signature 

SILO Step By Step
The Art Studio: Thread #4   Product Discussions
Beginners Videos Thread-

Posted: 06 March 2013 05:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  16477
Joined  2009-01-22
Novica - 06 March 2013 05:24 PM

The forums images are darkening- sorry you can’t see the first two sets. But you can see the dragonfly/waterfall one.

This is going to be a problem for all people that View your images. Your Monitor is NOT calibrated to the DEFAULT settings. The Image UPLOAD’ed is set to what ALL users will see because the image is shown without any of your Brightness setting’s or other adjustments. You need to do a FULL Monitor Calibration and then your Images will look the same on your Monitor and the Forums. If you do not do your renders on a Fully calibrated monitor others will never see on their screens the same image that you do.

Your personal Settings (monitor) are not saved in the Renders.

Signature 

Exile, Drows Walk: A Tale of Jaderail starts here. Free pulp fiction at its Fantasy best, Updated 2/3/14.
Proud Member of the Bald Wizards Club My stuff at DeviantArt

Posted: 06 March 2013 07:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4545
Joined  2007-09-13

Are you using a skydome/enclosed environment?

If so, under the Parameters for it, are Cast Shadows on or off…

If they are on, then the distant light is ‘outside’ the ‘box’ and the shadow of the ‘box’ is blocking the light.  The spotlights would be ‘inside’ so their light would be unaffected…also, in essence, making them ‘brighter’, as they are now the only light sources, so relatively, they are the brightest things present.

Signature 

1432 old posts

My ShareCG gallery.

Just because something costs a lot, doesn’t mean it’s the best…

It just means it’s expensive.

Posted: 06 March 2013 07:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-09-10

I used a floor (plane) from one of DM’s sets, and cyclorama which curves around in the background, then just used a distant light and some spotlights. I haven’t done anything fancy, was trying to keep it simple- I’ll check and see if some of my lights are below the floor plane- would that cause the same thing?

Signature 

SILO Step By Step
Beginners Videos Thread-

Posted: 06 March 2013 08:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  665
Joined  2006-11-10
Jaderail - 06 March 2013 05:42 PM

This is going to be a problem for all people that View your images. Your Monitor is NOT calibrated to the DEFAULT settings. The Image UPLOAD’ed is set to what ALL users will see because the image is shown without any of your Brightness setting’s or other adjustments. You need to do a FULL Monitor Calibration and then your Images will look the same on your Monitor and the Forums. If you do not do your renders on a Fully calibrated monitor others will never see on their screens the same image that you do.

If the forum’s images appear to have darkened to Novica as well, and the original issue was darkness where there should be light, I suspect it isn’t a monitor problem.

Signature 

Old post count: 3,394,206

Posted: 06 March 2013 08:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-09-10

Yeah, I wondered why it would be monitor if it changed drastically for me as well. But I calibrated my monitor anyway (and only a slight change in gamma was needed.)  Sometimes Corel Draw will darken things though. smile

Signature 

SILO Step By Step
Beginners Videos Thread-

Posted: 06 March 2013 08:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4545
Joined  2007-09-13

If it’s not completely enclosed, no it shouldn’t shadow that way.

Signature 

1432 old posts

My ShareCG gallery.

Just because something costs a lot, doesn’t mean it’s the best…

It just means it’s expensive.

Posted: 06 March 2013 09:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-01-22
Agent_Unawares - 06 March 2013 08:05 PM
Jaderail - 06 March 2013 05:42 PM

If the forum’s images appear to have darkened to Novica as well, and the original issue was darkness where there should be light, I suspect it isn’t a monitor problem.

I was just pointing out that if the RENDERS posted looked GOOD on their monitor but the Uploaded render looked different that it was a Calibration issue. I have fallen into that trap myself when I started 3D and had not used a calibrated monitor.

Signature 

Exile, Drows Walk: A Tale of Jaderail starts here. Free pulp fiction at its Fantasy best, Updated 2/3/14.

Posted: 06 March 2013 09:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-09-10

thanks- but only a slight gamma adjustment was needed, and really not even needed. I just fine tuned it slightly. I’m getting WAAAY different results when rendering than what is in the viewport, so I’m messing up somewhere. Would love to blame my monitor though, lol.  I am currently reading Adam’s thread in the old forums on the advanced render settings.

Signature 

SILO Step By Step
Beginners Videos Thread-

Posted: 06 March 2013 10:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-01-22
Novica - 06 March 2013 09:54 PM

thanks- but only a slight gamma adjustment was needed, and really not even needed. I just fine tuned it slightly. I’m getting WAAAY different results when rendering than what is in the viewport, so I’m messing up somewhere. Would love to blame my monitor though, lol.  I am currently reading Adam’s thread in the old forums on the advanced render settings.

LOL!! The Viewport will NEVER match the FULL render. That is why I do test renders and Spot renders. A Open GL vid card just can not match the 3DeLight render engine. Only test renders will show what the Final Image will look like. Check AdamR’s thread for Easy to use Render settings, they range from Proof Renders to Crazy High settings. I use them just for that reason. The DS4.5 Version is great.

EDIT: Here is the link. http://www.daz3d.com/forums/viewthread/16085/

Signature 

Posted: 06 March 2013 10:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-09-10

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/viewthread/3028/

is the one I just finished perusing. Will check out the one you just mentioned now smile  Thank you

Signature 

SILO Step By Step
Beginners Videos Thread-

Posted: 06 March 2013 10:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-01-22

Yes that explains them, but the other one has them pre-made and ready to use. Just click and Render.

Signature 

Posted: 06 March 2013 10:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-09-10

One thing I am not finding is gamma- (adjusting brightness) setting- does a lower setting mean darker?  And gain (contrast)- would a higher setting increase contrast but also make it a bit darker?  I found 1.0 as default, but other than that, no real explanation other than what they were (brightness and contrast.)

Signature 

SILO Step By Step
Beginners Videos Thread-

Posted: 06 March 2013 10:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-01-22
Novica - 06 March 2013 10:40 PM

One thing I am not finding is gamma- (adjusting brightness) setting- does a lower setting mean darker?  And gain (contrast)- would a higher setting increase contrast but also make it a bit darker?  I found 1.0 as default, but other than that, no real explanation other than what they were (brightness and contrast.)

Not following, the Gamma comment from before was about your Monitor settings. But yes lower is darker and higher is lighter. Gain is Sharpness on a monitor and that is controlled with Pixel X Y settings for a render. I still think you should Google a Calibration site and set your Monitor to Default so that when you render what you see will be what others see when you save a render. As I said before, if your monitor is not calibrated and your render looks good to you if the Brightness on your monitor is higher than default that extra brightness is not saved in the PNG JPG or other picture file type. If your not seeing a Default setting Render then you will not know what others see when they view your renders with a calibrated monitor.

Signature 

Posted: 06 March 2013 11:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 30 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-09-10

No, sorry to confuse you- I’m not referring to my monitor.  The render settings where it says “gain” and “gamma” is what I am referring to.
The 3Delight render loses all the gorgeous spotlight colors- so I’ll just play around with the settings and see what I can do.

Signature 

SILO Step By Step
Beginners Videos Thread-

2 of 3