Digital Art Zone

3 of 7
Project EYEris - New DAZ Studio Shader and Preset Package *OUT NOW* [Commercial]
Posted: 05 March 2013 10:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 31 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4659
Joined  2008-03-06

Well, I’m going to buy it for the eye use.  But see, look how cool it looks. wink

Signature 

My store at DAZ.

My Deviantart gallery.

Posted: 05 March 2013 10:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 32 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  969
Joined  2012-02-04

A friend and I were just talking about Genesis eyes and some of their hit and miss problems with them.
So excited to get my hands on these to see if they fix what ails several characters.

Banner day!  smile

Posted: 05 March 2013 10:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 33 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  665
Joined  2006-11-10

The improvement on the grass was amazing.

Signature 

Old post count: 3,394,206

Posted: 05 March 2013 11:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 34 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  328
Joined  2007-12-18

Thank you all for the comments!

Here is my quick attempt at a tiger’s eye type material, though that would be better aided with some sort of anisotropic highlight.  It did help to add that glint to it though, I imagine it would work well for fool’s gold and other really rough rock.

Please note that I’m not a geologist smile

Image Attachments
TigerEye.jpg

Posted: 06 March 2013 12:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 35 ]
RankRank
Joined  2007-12-18

Here are some more tiger eye renders to show how the specular flare amount is affecting it (set to 0.5, 1, 2 then 4 which I had to disable limits for).

Image Attachments
TE1.jpgTE2.jpgTE3.jpgTE4.jpg

Posted: 06 March 2013 05:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 36 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  581
Joined  2012-12-30

I’m very excited about this… even though I’m only interested in humans right now (this could well convince me otherwise)! I’ve been having trouble getting consistent results with eyes, and this looks amazing.

Signature 

Historic Sale and Deal Data (updated daily) | Also don’t miss Novica’s Art Studio thread for tips and reviews

Posted: 06 March 2013 06:01 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 37 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2705
Joined  2009-02-24

After recently picking up the Interjections set and giving a new lease of life and depth to existing skin textures, eyes and hair is the next hurdle to jump. The Interjections package came with some nice eye reflection maps, but it looks like this package really goes to town providing a more realistic approach. In short, I’m looking forward to it.

What I’m quite curious about is the raytraced reflections. I’ve tried to do this myself, with mixed results, in order to accurately depict the lighting setup and scenery. In the end I’ve had to use reflection maps since they tend to work better. Can it be safely assumed that these shaders can pull off what I could not?

Signature 

Find me on DeviantArt
Download my free IBL presets for Luxus
Re-upload of Cresent’s awesome pwToon shaders
Create your own Smart Content

Posted: 06 March 2013 12:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 38 ]
RankRank
Joined  2007-12-18

Thank you both for the feedback!

HeraldOfFire - 06 March 2013 06:01 AM

What I’m quite curious about is the raytraced reflections. I’ve tried to do this myself, with mixed results, in order to accurately depict the lighting setup and scenery. In the end I’ve had to use reflection maps since they tend to work better. Can it be safely assumed that these shaders can pull off what I could not?

This is what the goal of the shader is.  When looking at real eyes you can tell they don’t reflect the same way as chrome, they have high contrast reflections with little color.  Normal DS reflections cause eyes to reflect the same way as chrome, which is probably why it was hard for you to find the right results.  These tone curved reflections are meant to fix that, reflecting only the brightest bits to keep reflections from being overbearing.

The render I did of Toon Amy is a good example, I actually have David and Jasmine standing in front of her so they reflect in her eyes.  Normally with the scene lit up you would see them lit up in the reflections, but with the tone curving clipping them to black they appear as silhouettes more closely to how they should.

Reflection maps are nice and I thought about doing some presets with them in this set honestly.  With them though you are unable to get the nice detail of eyelash and facial surface reflections, and they tend to lose their effect when animated.

Posted: 06 March 2013 12:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 39 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4659
Joined  2008-03-06
DimensionTheory - 06 March 2013 12:45 PM

This is what the goal of the shader is.  When looking at real eyes you can tell they don’t reflect the same way as chrome, they have high contrast reflections with little color.

YES!  That’s it exactly.

Yep.  This is exciting stuff right here.

Signature 

My store at DAZ.

My Deviantart gallery.

Posted: 06 March 2013 01:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 40 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  570
Joined  2011-02-03

Looks awesome can’t wait to try this one out…

Signature 

My DAZ Gallery http://www.daz3d.com/gallery/users/68
My deviantART http://kitashrak.deviantart.com/

Posted: 06 March 2013 01:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 41 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2705
Joined  2009-02-24
DimensionTheory - 06 March 2013 12:45 PM

This is what the goal of the shader is.  When looking at real eyes you can tell they don’t reflect the same way as chrome, they have high contrast reflections with little color.  Normal DS reflections cause eyes to reflect the same way as chrome, which is probably why it was hard for you to find the right results.  These tone curved reflections are meant to fix that, reflecting only the brightest bits to keep reflections from being overbearing.

The render I did of Toon Amy is a good example, I actually have David and Jasmine standing in front of her so they reflect in her eyes.  Normally with the scene lit up you would see them lit up in the reflections, but with the tone curving clipping them to black they appear as silhouettes more closely to how they should.

Reflection maps are nice and I thought about doing some presets with them in this set honestly.  With them though you are unable to get the nice detail of eyelash and facial surface reflections, and they tend to lose their effect when animated.

Okay, I’m sold. It’ll be the perfect accompaniment to Interjections.

Signature 

Find me on DeviantArt
Download my free IBL presets for Luxus
Re-upload of Cresent’s awesome pwToon shaders
Create your own Smart Content

Posted: 06 March 2013 04:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 42 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  665
Joined  2006-11-10

The tiger eyes are pretty great. I especially like the third one from the flare adjustment examples.

Signature 

Old post count: 3,394,206

Posted: 07 March 2013 08:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 43 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  355
Joined  2008-06-25

This looks awesome!

There’s one thing which is not completely clear to me - do you use reflections on the iris per se, or only on the cornea+sclera?

Signature 

do your research before blaming 3Delight for shortcomings of your renders

dA gallery link in profile along with anything else you may need to know about me

my thread with freebies

Posted: 07 March 2013 12:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 44 ]
RankRank
Joined  2007-12-18
Mustakettu85 - 07 March 2013 08:50 AM

This looks awesome!

There’s one thing which is not completely clear to me - do you use reflections on the iris per se, or only on the cornea+sclera?

Thank you!  Reflections are only used on the sclera and cornea (well the tear and lacrimal as well).  The Iris is more like a matte materials suspended in a ball of reflective goo smile

Posted: 07 March 2013 01:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 45 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1494
Joined  2003-10-09

Pretty! Want now! Gimmie gimmie gimmie!

Signature 

My DAZ Store
My Free Stuff
My Deviant Art

3 of 7