Digital Art Zone

2 of 7
Project EYEris - New DAZ Studio Shader and Preset Package *OUT NOW* [Commercial]
Posted: 05 March 2013 05:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  112
Joined  2012-02-05

I wants it naow!

Funny thing I have been working for days on eyes and while I’ve made some headway this looks like it’ll do all of what I’ve been trying to do and more.

So when will it be done? Tomorrow? Please?!?

(Impatient? Me? Now where ever did you get that idea?)

Signature 

My images on Deviant Art

Posted: 05 March 2013 05:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  329
Joined  2007-12-18
Agent_Unawares - 05 March 2013 05:24 PM

That last part’s the problem. What if someone wants to use a vein displacement that starts from black, and a small details displacement that starts from mid grey? It’ll either swell the eyeball like crazy or shrink it down, absent a lot of fiddling which could be done away with by giving a separate min/max for each. smile

If it’s still treating the hi-detail map as a bump, this will be slightly less of an issue, but there may still be quite noticeable problems and again, tons of fiddling. I nearly always need to adjust the min/max on bump and displacement and they’re very rarely [never that I can recall] the same.

Well I did my best.  I’m not really sure how far out of my way I should go to make sure files created for Poser work with a product made for DAZ Studio, and as far as I know Poser is the only program to ever use black as base.  I’ve not personally run into any displacement or bump maps made that way in a long time, any that are can be leveled quickly (set black level to 50% gray and you’re done).

Machieltje - 05 March 2013 05:30 PM

So when will it be done? Tomorrow? Please?!?

It’s already done wink

Posted: 05 March 2013 05:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  29
Joined  2004-10-14

Oh! Shiny!
I wants it now!

Posted: 05 March 2013 05:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  665
Joined  2006-11-10
DimensionTheory - 05 March 2013 05:34 PM

Well I did my best.

Your best with limited information, perhaps…

It’s already done wink

...and so you’re tied in to the broken functionality. I sympathize with that, but don’t try to justify the shader as somehow making more sense this way than it would if it were actually able to be used with all relevant textures [as a shader should].

I’m not really sure how far out of my way I should go to make sure files created for Poser work with a product made for DAZ Studio,

Because you’re advertising this as not just a standalone, but an addon to existing products, and because a tremendous number of textures use Poser-style bump mapping. Because this is something which could, and should, be universal. And because the change required would be relatively minor unless you threw away your shader code after compiling.

and as far as I know Poser is the only program to ever use black as base.  I’ve not personally run into any displacement or bump maps made that way in a long time,

Every single one of the vein/brow displacement maps I can think of offhand uses black as the zero color. And they’re the sort of thing which needs to be able to be mixed with bump maps from more than one character.

any that are can be leveled quickly (set black level to 50% gray and you’re done).

In an external image editor. There should be no need for fiddling and duplicate files when “Min=0” could easily have been set from within the shader.

Signature 

Old post count: 3,394,206

Posted: 05 March 2013 06:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
RankRank
Joined  2007-12-18

I’m very sorry you feel that way, you are more than welcome to use the default shader where mine falls short.  For those who like what I’ve done and don’t see issue with how I have things setup I hope this shader will be a fun tool to use in conjunction with others.

Posted: 05 March 2013 06:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4921
Joined  2008-03-06

Why should a product advertised as a DAZ shader set support Poser-style bump mapping?  Yes, a tremendous number of textures use that black-as-zero system - because they were made for Poser.  What are you buying in this store that uses that and says it’s for DAZ Studio?

If I buy a product that says it’s for DAZ Studio, I want it optimized for DAZ Studio.  To ask otherwise is nonsensical.

Signature 

My store at DAZ.

My Deviantart gallery.

Posted: 05 March 2013 06:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
RankRank
Joined  2006-11-10
DimensionTheory - 05 March 2013 06:01 PM

I’m very sorry you feel that way, you are more than welcome to use the default shader where mine falls short.  For those who like what I’ve done and don’t see issue with how I have things setup I hope this shader will be a fun tool to use in conjunction with others.

Unfortunately I’ll have to. It’s a shame because shaders and surfaces are the most exciting part of a 3D image to me, and those tonemapped reflections were something really unique, but if I’m going to wind up editing textures in order to use this, I’d rather incorporate that sort of look in postwork.

Best of luck!

Signature 

Posted: 05 March 2013 06:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
RankRank
Joined  2006-11-10
SickleYield - 05 March 2013 06:08 PM

Why should a product advertised as a DAZ shader set support Poser-style bump mapping?  Yes, a tremendous number of textures use that black-as-zero system - because they were made for Poser.

Textures are generally made for surfaces, not specific programs, which is why 3D programs have settings for min/max to begin with, instead of a simple ‘displacement amount.’ Normally, different zero values don’t cause any problems whatsoever. It’s not a matter of “only for X program,” it’s a matter of “different textures are different.”

SickleYield - 05 March 2013 06:08 PM

If I buy a product that says it’s for DAZ Studio, I want it optimized for DAZ Studio.  To ask otherwise is nonsensical.

I’d appreciate it if you didn’t imply I don’t know what I’m talking about. That’s nothing but a straw man argument. I’m not asking, and hadn’t asked, for it to be optimized for another program. This isn’t about not being able to read native Poser files, it’s about being unable to efficiently utilize textures which work equally well in both programs.

Vein maps in particular tend to start with black as the zero value because they’ll never displace inwardly to begin with and they can utilize the full tonal range that way. And that’s the last I’ll say on this in this thread as the creator has already voiced an opinion, and thus it’s a subject now mostly irrelevant to the product. If you care to discuss this in another part of the forum I’m all for it.

Signature 

Posted: 05 March 2013 06:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1344
Joined  2005-03-16

Just been working on my own eye settings using Human Surface Shader.  Decent results, but yours is fantastic.  Will be buying immediately.  I do wish the negativity would stop.  This product will do what it does (and well, it seems), but should not be expected to be a be all/end all.  No disrespect intended to anyone expressing their opinions, you are entitled.  I haven’t seen a cloth shader or metallics shader or any shader for that matter that works universally without some tweaking.  If you have maps with black, maybe you can adjust the strength.  Anyway, good job, DimensionTheory.

Signature 

My DAZ Store Page    My Facebook Fan Page    My Twitter Account    Free Video Tutorials    My FreeStuff at ShareCG    My Gallery on DeviantArt

Posted: 05 March 2013 06:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
RankRank
Joined  2007-12-18

Thank you, Slosh.  You words are appreciated smile

It should be advised at this point that no one has actually used the shader aside from myself and DAZ QA, so any thoughts on how my particular shader performs are not formed from hands on usage.  I’ve not personally run into any issues with this, either by finding the end results displeasing or feeling the need to edit maps.  If anyone would like to see some renders of my shader used on things other than eyes let me know, it’s main purpose is eye surfaces and that’s what it is designed for but I have had fun using it on other materials with cool results.

Posted: 05 March 2013 06:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4921
Joined  2008-03-06

How about on some G-rated tentacles or other creature surfaces?

Signature 

My store at DAZ.

My Deviantart gallery.

Posted: 05 March 2013 06:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
RankRank
Joined  2007-12-18

Don’t know if I have any tentacles but I’ve got plenty of creatures!

Posted: 05 March 2013 06:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]
RankRank
Joined  2006-11-10
DimensionTheory - 05 March 2013 06:35 PM

any thoughts on how my particular shader performs are not formed from hands on usage.

Correct. It’s all been math and a general understanding of the subject thus far. I haven’t touched the shader yet; if I came across as implying I had, I apologize.

DimensionTheory - 05 March 2013 06:35 PM

If anyone would like to see some renders of my shader used on things other than eyes let me know, it’s main purpose is eye surfaces and that’s what it is designed for but I have had fun using it on other materials with cool results.

I’d love to see any other test renders you might have squirreled away. How about something along the lines of tiger eye? It seems like it could take advantage of the specular flare.

Signature 

Posted: 05 March 2013 09:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  208
Joined  2006-01-26

I approve this product.
simple like that

Signature 

http://www.daz3d.com/gallery/#users/1312/
http://zilvergrafix.deviantart.com/

Posted: 05 March 2013 10:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 30 ]
RankRank
Joined  2007-12-18

Thank you, Zilver!

Here are two renders for you all, the first one using my shader effects and the second one not.  You can see the 8 additional highlights adding plenty of shimmer to the grass and spreading out over the creature skin, while the reflection curves are aiding in realistic shading on the mouth, teeth and eyes.

Please note that the shader’s main purpose is for eye surfaces and this is more or less a conceptual render out of intended usage range.

Image Attachments
DinoA.jpgDinoB.jpg

2 of 7