Digital Art Zone

2 of 2
Terrain Editor help please
Posted: 05 March 2013 05:00 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  926
Joined  2003-10-09

Hey here’s an idea relating to the answers but has little to do with the question directly. Maybe a worthwhile new tutorial or perhaps part of a future product would be some artistic aides. What I mean by artistic aide is something that can either teach a user how to always start their scene so as to be able to, for example, efficiently use the terrain editor. It seems in this case part of the problem here is the person asking the question has already gotten fairly far along in his/her work to where he/she needs to take an extra step or two to be able to know what side is north in the terrain editor. If however there was something that say taught one how to make a default blank scene that already has a north pointing camera or something that can add a north pointing camera more quickly and easily then copying and pasting matrices then this wouldn’t be a problem. Perhaps also it would be nice to have your scene start out in other ways that are already set up in anticipation of other needs. Like the way David sets up his scenes with the perspective camera. It could greatly facilitate things for people trying to follow David’s tutorials if their default blank scenes opened already set up in ways to follow the tutorial so that the person following the tutorial didn’t have to bother with setting that up before proceeding.

I don’t know if what I’m thinking is possible but if so then perhaps it could be provided as a blank scene all set and ready to go and the user just opens it and saves it under edit/preferences such that it makes that page set up the default set up. If that can’t be done then it could always be saved somewhere as an optimized blank scene and the user could just opens that scene as opposed to creating a new blank scene. That might be even better because then you could have several blank scenes all optimized for various scenarios and you just open the one that best matches what you want to do. Like a blank scene with all the proper settings already engaged for doing IBL or TA, or for doing an abstract vs a landscape, etc.

Posted: 05 March 2013 05:04 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2523
Joined  2004-07-06
LordHardDriven - 05 March 2013 05:00 AM

Hey here’s an idea relating to the answers but has little to do with the question directly. Maybe a worthwhile new tutorial or perhaps part of a future product would be some artistic aides. What I mean by artistic aide is something that can either teach a user how to always start their scene so as to be able to, for example, efficiently use the terrain editor. It seems in this case part of the problem here is the person asking the question has already gotten fairly far along in his/her work to where he’she needs to take an extra step or two to be able to know what side is north in the terrain editor. If however there was something that say taught one how to make a default blank scene that already has a north pointing camera or something that can add a north pointing camera more quickly and easily then copying and pasting matrices then this wouldn’t be a problem. Perhaps also it would be nice to have your scene start out in other ways that are already set up in anticipation of other needs. Like the way David sets up his scenes with the perspective camera. It could greatly facilitate things for people trying to follow David’s tutorials if their default blank scenes opened already set up in ways to follow the tutorial so that the person following the tutorial didn’t have to other with setting that up before proceeding.

I don’t know if what I’m thinking is possible but if so then perhaps it could be provided as a blank scene all set and ready to go and the user just opens it and saves it under edit/preferences such that it makes that page set up the default set up. If that can’t be done then it could always be saved somewhere as an optimized blank scene and the user could just opens that scene as opposed to creating a new blank scene. That might be even better because then you could have several blank scenes all optimized for various scenarios and you just open the one that best matches what you want to do. Like a blank scene with all the proper settings already engaged for doing IBL or TA, or for doing an abstract vs a landscape, etc.

This was mostly the intention of this video Bryce “Nuts and Bolts” - setting up the default launch state - a tutorial by David Brinnen

Signature 

that Bryce Tutorials Info and this Products made by Horo and myself and a link to my gallery at DAZ 3D

Posted: 05 March 2013 05:12 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1650
Joined  2010-10-10

That video of David’s is one I followed to set up my own launch scene with the camera pointed at North.  This is a good video to watch as it saves a lot of changing things to get started, you can just load and go.

Signature 

Wendy

My freestuff: http://www.sharecg.com/pf/full_uploads.php?pf_user_name=Wilmap

Tutorial: http://www.sharecg.com/v/69943/view/3/PDF-Tutorial/How-to-install-zip-files

PLEASE NOTE:
My items are NOT to be used on Second Life website.  They have recently changed their TOS and are legally able to take/steal anything uploaded and resell/redistribute to items.

Posted: 05 March 2013 05:33 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  926
Joined  2003-10-09
David Brinnen - 05 March 2013 05:04 AM

Hey here’s an idea relating to the answers but has little to do with the question directly. Maybe a worthwhile new tutorial or perhaps part of a future product would be some artistic aides. What I mean by artistic aide is something that can either teach a user how to always start their scene so as to be able to, for example, efficiently use the terrain editor. It seems in this case part of the problem here is the person asking the question has already gotten fairly far along in his/her work to where he’she needs to take an extra step or two to be able to know what side is north in the terrain editor. If however there was something that say taught one how to make a default blank scene that already has a north pointing camera or something that can add a north pointing camera more quickly and easily then copying and pasting matrices then this wouldn’t be a problem. Perhaps also it would be nice to have your scene start out in other ways that are already set up in anticipation of other needs. Like the way David sets up his scenes with the perspective camera. It could greatly facilitate things for people trying to follow David’s tutorials if their default blank scenes opened already set up in ways to follow the tutorial so that the person following the tutorial didn’t have to other with setting that up before proceeding.

This was mostly the intention of this video Bryce “Nuts and Bolts” - setting up the default launch state - a tutorial by David Brinnen

Ah okay, I missed that one I guess, never mind then smile

Posted: 05 March 2013 11:28 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1540
Joined  2007-12-10

That might be even better because then you could have several blank scenes all optimized for various scenarios and you just open the one that best matches what you want to do.

I’ve been meaning to do this for a while now.
I thought it would be great to set up an ‘indoor studio default’ and an ‘outdoor landscape default’ at the very least.

I constantly get fed up with opening a new document and getting faced with default sky, everything pointing wrong and with the wrong render settings… But I haven’t got around to it yet. shut eye

Signature 

I’ve got nothing of my own to promote, no models, no tutorials, no website, nothin’, nada, nill, nowt.

Posted: 05 March 2013 12:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2004-07-06

Those with access to the bugtracker feel free to offer support for the feature request I made for this at the beginning of 2010.

https://bugs.daz3d.com/view.php?id=36077

Signature 

that Bryce Tutorials Info and this Products made by Horo and myself and a link to my gallery at DAZ 3D

Posted: 05 March 2013 12:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3336
Joined  2004-10-01

Yup, the request is still valid - and has a lot of support.

Signature 

**  [ Stuff by David Brinnen and myself**  [ My DAZ 3D Gallery**  [ My Website**  OPC 4565 **

Posted: 06 March 2013 05:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1353
Joined  2011-09-25

Dave said what I usually do when in the terrain editor, place a blob in one corner, render to see where it actually is, then remove the blob.

I didn’t do David’s suggestion of placing a default scene in my Bryce files folder, but created a Camera folder in my Bryce saves and just load my pre-made scenes from there.

Signature 

If you constantly look backward, it’s guaranteed you’ll run into something on your forward journey.
My Gallery Page: GussNemo’s Efforts

Posted: 07 March 2013 03:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  614
Joined  2008-11-26
TheSavage64 - 05 March 2013 11:28 AM

That might be even better because then you could have several blank scenes all optimized for various scenarios and you just open the one that best matches what you want to do.

I’ve been meaning to do this for a while now.
I thought it would be great to set up an ‘indoor studio default’ and an ‘outdoor landscape default’ at the very least.

I constantly get fed up with opening a new document and getting faced with default sky, everything pointing wrong and with the wrong render settings… But I haven’t got around to it yet. shut eye

It would be cool if you shared them with us too. wink:-)

Posted: 26 April 2013 02:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  122
Joined  2011-09-24

Terrain editor- imported jpg posterized.

Hi All,
I’ve been using Bryce for a year only to create blank terrains and bring them into DAZ. I’m having an intermittent problem where imported jpgs (that have been edited in photoshop) become posterized in the terrian editor area. Smoothing, eroding and dampening help a little but end up changing the form too much. I’d like to get it right in photoshop where there’s more freedom. This doesn’t happen all the time so I’m not sure what to do.

The result of this is a terrain that’s stair stepped like a pyramid- not good especially for water.

Thanks in advance for the help.
let me know if you’d like to see screen caps.

Signature 

My Store
My Gallery
A captain’s goal was simple: find a crew, find a job… keep flying.
-Firefly

Posted: 27 April 2013 12:06 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1540
Joined  2007-12-10

When terrains ‘step’ it’s most likely because the bit depth of the original in Photoshop hasn’t been set high enough.
Terrains need (at least) 16bit tif files. 8 bit (the default) will cause steps to show.

Signature 

I’ve got nothing of my own to promote, no models, no tutorials, no website, nothin’, nada, nill, nowt.

Posted: 27 April 2013 01:35 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2004-07-06
TheSavage64 - 27 April 2013 12:06 AM

When terrains ‘step’ it’s most likely because the bit depth of the original in Photoshop hasn’t been set high enough.
Terrains need (at least) 16bit tif files. 8 bit (the default) will cause steps to show.

Yes, I was thinking the same thing, but Dave got there first.  SO OK yes, Bryce is a little bit fussy about terrain import and export.  It likes 16 bit greyscale tif or 16 bit greyscale png.

Edit.  Oh just to be clear, greyscale is part of the format, it’s not just that you are providing a greyscale - and this format is not supported by every paint package.  For example, PSP8, which I use doesn’t support this format.  Which is why I process my terrains in Grome 3.  Which does support this format, but is quite tricky to use.

Signature 

Posted: 27 April 2013 03:24 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3336
Joined  2004-10-01

@marshian - Photoshop can save as 16.bit grey scale. Already version 6 can. However, you need to save in a 16-bit greyscale capable file format. TIFF can do it. JPEG is always only 8 bit.

Signature 

**  [ Stuff by David Brinnen and myself**  [ My DAZ 3D Gallery**  [ My Website**  OPC 4565 **

Posted: 27 April 2013 06:11 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  122
Joined  2011-09-24

Thanks for the quick and thorough response! I’m gad this there is a recipe that I can cook up…. Back to terraforming.

Signature 

My Store
My Gallery
A captain’s goal was simple: find a crew, find a job… keep flying.
-Firefly

2 of 2