Digital Art Zone

1 of 2
Terrain Editor help please
Posted: 05 March 2013 03:06 AM   [ Ignore ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1652
Joined  2010-10-10

How can you tell which part of the image in the Terrain Editor lines up with your terrain?

After rotating my terrain several times I can never seem to find the right spot if I want to add or remove parts, such as adding a river or path.

Is there a way to tell?

Signature 

Wendy

My freestuff: http://www.sharecg.com/pf/full_uploads.php?pf_user_name=Wilmap

Tutorial: http://www.sharecg.com/v/69943/view/3/PDF-Tutorial/How-to-install-zip-files

PLEASE NOTE:
My items are NOT to be used on Second Life website.  They have recently changed their TOS and are legally able to take/steal anything uploaded and resell/redistribute to items.

Posted: 05 March 2013 03:21 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2523
Joined  2004-07-06

My solution to this perpetual problem is not to rotate the terrains and to have the camera pointing what I call North.

Image 1 shows a newly created terrain.

Image 2 shows the terrain lab for this terrain.

As things stand, in this scene, the bottom left hand corner of the terrain relates to the bottom left hand corner of the height map.

Taking this approach I find reduces the confusion considerably.

Edit:  the images came in backwards for some reason, but if you mouseover the file names are shown.

Image Attachments
Image2.jpgImage1.jpg
 Signature 

that Bryce Tutorials Info and this Products made by Horo and myself and a link to my gallery at DAZ 3D

Posted: 05 March 2013 03:32 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2010-10-10

But if you have rotated your terrain and then want to change a small part of it. Then what?

I followed one of your tutorials on making an island and I turned the island around until I got a good scene, but I wanted to remove a large mound that was in the way.  When I went into the Terrain Editor, I couldn’t work out which bit I had to alter as there were similar mounds around the edges.

Signature 

Wendy

Tutorial: http://www.sharecg.com/v/69943/view/3/PDF-Tutorial/How-to-install-zip-files

PLEASE NOTE:
My items are NOT to be used on Second Life website.  They have recently changed their TOS and are legally able to take/steal anything uploaded and resell/redistribute to items.

Posted: 05 March 2013 03:44 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2004-07-06
wilmap - 05 March 2013 03:32 AM

But if you have rotated your terrain and then want to change a small part of it. Then what?

I followed one of your tutorials on making an island and I turned the island around until I got a good scene, but I wanted to remove a large mound that was in the way.  When I went into the Terrain Editor, I couldn’t work out which bit I had to alter as there were similar mounds around the edges.

OK, right, what you can do is this.

Use Edit > Copy Matrix on the terrain you want to edit.

Then reset the terrain orientation by clicking on one of the control points while holding down ctrl + alt.

This will then align the terrain in the scene so that you can place your camera over it (point your camera North as shown) - save your camera position first - before moving your camera.

You will now be in a position to look a the terrain as shown above - with known orientation.

Once you have made your changes.

Use Edit > Paste Matrix to restore your terrain back to it’s original orientation.

And restore your camera position with the camera dot.

A bit fiddly I know…

Signature 

that Bryce Tutorials Info and this Products made by Horo and myself and a link to my gallery at DAZ 3D

Posted: 05 March 2013 03:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2010-10-10

Thanks David, will give it a go. grin

Signature 

Wendy

PLEASE NOTE:

Posted: 05 March 2013 03:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3340
Joined  2004-10-01

Save the camera position and move the camera around, instead of the terrain. In this way, the terrain and the height map match. I do it as David outlined above (well, he crossposted meanwhile), with the camera looking to the upper screen edge if looked from above. You can then consider up=north, right=east, down=south and left=west - and this is also how the terrain height map appears in the DTE. Make sure to use the Perspective camera, not the Directors.

Signature 

**  [ Stuff by David Brinnen and myself**  [ My DAZ 3D Gallery**  [ My Website**  OPC 4565 **

Posted: 05 March 2013 03:54 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1543
Joined  2007-12-10

In the past I have been known to just put a small hard edged white dot on the height map and then go back to the viewport to see where it corresponds to.
Once you know that, just use ‘undo’ to get rid of the tall spike you just made.

Signature 

I’ve got nothing of my own to promote, no models, no tutorials, no website, nothin’, nada, nill, nowt.

Posted: 05 March 2013 03:56 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15147
Joined  2003-10-09

Maybe another stupid question, but on the terrain editor, si there any way to increase the sixe it appears when using it?  My extra keyboard keys don’t work in Bryce, not even the zoom

Signature 

Chohole’s Space        Neil’Vs Freebies and stuff        E Summer Bryce Rendering Challenge        July Freebie Challenge
My DAZ 3D Gallery    11915

Posted: 05 March 2013 04:01 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2004-07-06
chohole - 05 March 2013 03:56 AM

Maybe another stupid question, but on the terrain editor, si there any way to increase the sixe it appears when using it?  My extra keyboard keys don’t work in Bryce, not even the zoom

Yes, I keep mine small for video, but otherwise it can fill the screen almost.  Image shows where the little menu is “hidden”.

Image Attachments
Image3.jpg
 Signature 

Posted: 05 March 2013 04:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2004-10-01

Do you mean that one?

Image Attachments
te.jpg
 Signature 

**  [ Stuff by David Brinnen and myself**  [ My DAZ 3D Gallery**  [ My Website**  OPC 4565 **

Posted: 05 March 2013 04:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2004-10-01

Oh, David and I am crossposting today smile

Signature 

Posted: 05 March 2013 04:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2004-07-06

There are also controls on the 3D preview that allow changes in scale and if you have a fast enough PC to have the preview update as you paint and have it rendered - after a fashion.

Image Attachments
Image4.jpg
 Signature 

Posted: 05 March 2013 04:04 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1543
Joined  2007-12-10
chohole - 05 March 2013 03:56 AM

Yes. If this is what you mean.

It’s also in the same place for the 3D preview pane too.

Edited to Add: See how quickly this forum moves on sometimes. LOL

Image Attachments
Picture-14.jpg
 Signature 

I’ve got nothing of my own to promote, no models, no tutorials, no website, nothin’, nada, nill, nowt.

Posted: 05 March 2013 04:05 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2004-07-06
Horo - 05 March 2013 04:03 AM

Oh, David and I am crossposting today smile

And now Dave has joined in!

Signature 

Posted: 05 March 2013 04:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2004-10-01

Which means, we all love Pam and are eager to help her smile

Signature 

Posted: 05 March 2013 04:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15147
Joined  2003-10-09

Ah,  isn’t that nice. red face Thanks all.  This never bothered me too much before, Only has since I have this nice big widescreen monitor ( Ebay bargain) I have i been cursing.  Just goes to show that no matter how long you have used Bryce there is always something new you can discover about it.

Signature 

Chohole’s Space        Neil’Vs Freebies and stuff        E Summer Bryce Rendering Challenge        July Freebie Challenge
My DAZ 3D Gallery    11915

1 of 2