Digital Art Zone

7 of 9
WIP THREAD FOR NEW USERS CONTEST, March 2013.
Posted: 21 March 2013 11:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 91 ]
Total Posts:  17
Joined  2013-03-11
I just saw this thread yesterday, and decided to give it a go.
Nothing fancy, I just wanted to make a candid shot of my character...
...and then I discovered making poses is hard even for such a simple gesture... xD

I am still making the scene, but... really, I'd appreciate any tips on that...
Image Attachments
wip10_personagem1.jpg

Posted: 21 March 2013 11:48 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 92 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5742
Joined  2005-08-29
Hello,
You're up to a good start here. The hands are looking pretty good. One if the more difficult things is to make hair not get in the way, like you see where it goes into the hand. Most hairs are pretty difficult to pose, so you need to find a way to work with the hair, not against it. Welcome and I'm look forward to see where this will take you.
 Signature 

=============================================
My DAZ Gallery  | The adventures of Lomund
Free RPG adventures for DnD, O:FR and more: http://4eyes.code66.se
Community Volunteer

Proud member of the Bald Wizards Club
I always look on the bright side of life, ‘cause I never expected the Spanish inquisition!

Posted: 21 March 2013 12:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 93 ]
Joined  2013-03-11
Totte - 21 March 2013 11:48 AM
Hello,
You're up to a good start here. The hands are looking pretty good. One if the more difficult things is to make hair not get in the way, like you see where it goes into the hand. Most hairs are pretty difficult to pose, so you need to find a way to work with the hair, not against it. Welcome and I'm look forward to see where this will take you.

Thanks smile
Yes, working with hair is tricky... but I was so happy when I her hand wasn't entering into her head or into her should that I just had to make a render... xD

Posted: 21 March 2013 07:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 94 ]
Joined  2013-03-11
This is my current render.
I am quite happy with the pose... might do minor tweaks here and there, but that's it.
Might change the expression and the lights of the scene, though... I haven't really changed her face and I just used some light presets I already had, lol.
Image Attachments
wip13_personagem1.jpg

Posted: 21 March 2013 09:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 95 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  107
Joined  2012-05-06
Thanx Scott and Jaderail, I tried something a little different. I got rid of the distant light, turned up the intensity on the fill light and added a back light. I think her hair stands out more now, but do you think the skin on her right arm and hand looks too shiny.

Key light
Intensity: 90
illumination:On
Shadow Type: Raytraced
Softness: 20
Spread Angle:60

Fill Light
Intensity:30
illumination:Diffuse Only
No Shadows

Back Light
Intensity:90
illumination:On
No Shadows
Image Attachments
Standing_Guard.jpg

Posted: 22 March 2013 12:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 96 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3645
Joined  2012-02-06
Cindy, I really like what you have so far. Great character and pose (I might prefer the framing of the first image to the second, but I think either could work). I would like to see her eyes come alive a little...her expression looks a little vacant with her staring straight ahead like that; changing their pose would help tremendously I think. The lighting I think is fine...I'm sure it can be improved upon, but if I were you I'd figure out the rest of the scene first.

I agree with what Totte said about the hair. It's definitely tricky. You could try a different hairstyle if that one won't cooperate with your chosen pose. If all else fails, you could try to fix it in an image editor (Photoshop, GIMP, etc.) but personally I think it's preferable to try fixing it in DAZ Studio (or your 3D program of choice) first...whether you succeed or fail, you're likely to learn something in the attempt.
 Signature 

Community Volunteer
Monthly New User Contests!

My tutorials and FAQs | My Gallery | My Render Thread
Visit my world… Tornalia.com | http://scottlivingston.deviantart.com

Posted: 22 March 2013 12:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 97 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-02-06
spmwc: I think the lighting on the character is very effective. The shadow does strike me as a little odd, for some reason. I do think the skin is a little on the shiny side...may not be a problem; just makes her look a bit sweaty. If you want to turn down the shininess, the first thing I'd look at is specularity (on the surfaces tab). You'll have to select all the skin surfaces, but don't select other surfaces like teeth, nails, and anything eye related.
 Signature 

Community Volunteer

Posted: 22 March 2013 01:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 98 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-02-06
I thought I'd give this a try too. Early WIP...the grip isn't at all perfect, among other things. But I'm moderately happy with how it's shaping up.

(I will not be entering the contest...this is just for fun and practice)
Image Attachments
armwrestle1a.jpg
 Signature 

Community Volunteer

Posted: 22 March 2013 02:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 99 ]
Joined  2013-03-11
Scott-Livingston - 22 March 2013 01:50 PM
I thought I'd give this a try too. Early WIP...the grip isn't at all perfect, among other things. But I'm moderately happy with how it's shaping up.

(I will not be entering the contest...this is just for fun and practice)

Hehehe, arm-wrestling is a really good idea for that contest, and I loved the contrast between the girl and the man
Really fun picture :D

So, my scene is currently of her watching TV...

You can hardly see the details of her hand on her hair, so I don't think I will do anything there...

The expression... I need to look for references here, because people's eyes DO look sort of vacant when you are just watching some TV... but I'm not sure if it's exactly like that...

Oooh, I will go to a screening at the woods tonight, I might stare at folks to see their faces for some inspiration xD

Image Attachments
wip23_personagem1.jpg

Posted: 22 March 2013 03:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 100 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  16477
Joined  2009-01-22
spmwc - 21 March 2013 09:45 PM
Thanx Scott and Jaderail, I tried something a little different. I got rid of the distant light, turned up the intensity on the fill light and added a back light. I think her hair stands out more now, but do you think the skin on her right arm and hand looks too shiny.
This is LOOKING Great. That Back Light is what is spilling on the arm. The way this looks all it really needs to cover is the Head and Shoulders. Swap to looking through it and narrow the Spread down and I think you will be ready for Prime Time. IMHO.
 Signature 

Exile, Drows Walk: A Tale of Jaderail starts here. Free pulp fiction at its Fantasy best, Updated 2/3/14.
Proud Member of the Bald Wizards Club My stuff at DeviantArt

Posted: 22 March 2013 03:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 101 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  16477
Joined  2009-01-22
cindy.dalfovo - 22 March 2013 02:20 PM

You can hardly see the details of her hand on her hair, so I don't think I will do anything there...

The expression... I need to look for references here, because people's eyes DO look sort of vacant when you are just watching some TV... but I'm not sure if it's exactly like that...

Oooh, I will go to a screening at the woods tonight, I might stare at folks to see their faces for some inspiration xD
To fix the EYE thing Try this. Create a NULL and move it to where you think the TV screen would be, now move it the Thickness of a OLD TV farther back than that. Now select each eye in the Scene Tab and use Point At and pick the NULL as the target for each eye. That Might get the look the others are talking about for your figure.

TIP: Don't Save over this File save as Another Scene File just in case you don't like how it works.
 Signature 

Exile, Drows Walk: A Tale of Jaderail starts here. Free pulp fiction at its Fantasy best, Updated 2/3/14.
Proud Member of the Bald Wizards Club My stuff at DeviantArt

Posted: 22 March 2013 09:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 102 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  135
Joined  2008-11-19
Hiya Cindy! First off before anything, the lighting (which is always a PITA) looks great! Is her left elbow sitting on her hand? In that position it has to rest there or the thigh. Sit in a chair and just experiment with the position, and find what's comfortable. You got lighting, and those legs look comfortable and natural. Just experiment more with the arms. :D

Posted: 22 March 2013 09:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 103 ]
Joined  2013-03-11
Jaderail - 22 March 2013 03:38 PM
cindy.dalfovo - 22 March 2013 02:20 PM

To fix the EYE thing Try this. Create a NULL and move it to where you think the TV screen would be, now move it the Thickness of a OLD TV farther back than that. Now select each eye in the Scene Tab and use Point At and pick the NULL as the target for each eye. That Might get the look the others are talking about for your figure.

TIP: Don't Save over this File save as Another Scene File just in case you don't like how it works.

Thanks, I will try that for the next render. I will see if it creates a more natural look for her... smile

Xandory - 22 March 2013 09:29 PM
Hiya Cindy! First off before anything, the lighting (which is always a PITA) looks great! Is her left elbow sitting on her hand? In that position it has to rest there or the thigh. Sit in a chair and just experiment with the position, and find what's comfortable. You got lighting, and those legs look comfortable and natural. Just experiment more with the arms. :D

Thanks! I did spend some time testing the light until I was satisfied, I am very glad other people like it too smile Her left elbow is supposed to be resting on her tights... I remember I mimicked her pose many times, but I admit I could have forgotten, after so many adjustments... will have to turn the model to look for imperfections...

Posted: 23 March 2013 05:51 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 104 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-02-06
I have to agree with Jaderail and Xandory...that lighting looks excellent. The vacant eyes are probably okay if she's watching TV, but I do think they could be improved as Jaderail described.
 Signature 

Community Volunteer

Posted: 24 March 2013 11:11 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 105 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  136
Joined  2005-02-08
So here's my image with suggestions applied (finally!). I changed the hand position to get her fingers off the actual strings. The right fingers are just about to hit the strings, while the left hand is just finished plucking. I bent her arms and got her to lean in closer, like a real musician who loves her instrument. smile I added some ambient light, although it does nothing for bringing anything out of the background. That's because the background is plain old black brick. The main change I noticed with the ambient was toning down the colors of the "stage" lights a bit, brightening everything overall. Thanks again for the comments!
Image Attachments
march_test3.jpg
 Signature 

the Evil Kitten Project

7 of 9