Digital Art Zone

2 of 9
WIP THREAD FOR NEW USERS CONTEST, March 2013.
Posted: 05 March 2013 01:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8194
Joined  2009-05-14
Bluemoon. Great image starting there again I feel.
I agree with what has been said already. Sorry for butchering your image but this is how I see it.
Point 1: I don’t see power in that grip or should I say the angle of the hammer. I would see how it looks as I crudely drew in red. Then move the hand only up so the hammer is striking the metal again. The force of the blow will force the hand up more; the rest of the arm for me looks good.

Point 2: Try moving the grip in more, even if the fingers poke through the handle. If you have Genesis Muscle Morphs then try turning on Flexion and try getting some stress lines in the back of his hand.

Point 3: Yes bend his chest a abdomen a little, you will have to move the whole body back a little to compensate so he lines up with his victim..I mean anvil.

Hope that helps. wink
Image Attachments
smithy01_copy.jpg
 Signature 

Pete

Somethings to Consider when starting to learn CG

My Gallery

My Render Thread and Tutorials

Proud member of the Bald Wizards Club and Co-operative

Facebook

Posted: 05 March 2013 01:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-05-14
SGCBearcub Love the hand as wrinkled and now the lighting, yeah nice start but I feel the hands get lost and merges too much with the body. This would be ok if she had a really weird expression making you wonder why, and then you see the hand. If that is the case then I feel her head/eyes should be in one of the composition focal points.
What is your main subject, her face or her hand?

Can I suggest try using some composition guidelines (don’t like calling them rules as they can be broken if you know how).

Choice one is to read up on Composition or a second choice is to try out Jaderail’s new toy Golden Rules of Composition Camera Prop for DS4.5.
If the hand is the focal point then try setting the Camera to 35mm this will bring the hand really forward and smack you around the face when you see the image. smile Unless you want it to be subtle then I would go for the expression route. But moving the head/hand to a focal point will work so much better IMHO. But like I say with everyone it is your image to do with, you’re the one that has to be happy with it these are just my opinions. I will take no offence if you do your own thing as I am still new and learning. smile
 Signature 

Pete

My Gallery

Facebook

Posted: 05 March 2013 02:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  16733
Joined  2003-10-09
A couple of images to show how his hand should be

image one

http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/01660/p_blacksmith_1660195c.jpg

http://barefootimage.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/the-blacksmith-final-small-Copy.jpg
 Signature 

Chohole’s Space        NeilV’s Freebies and stuff        Winter Bryce Rendering Challenge        November Freebie Challenge
My DAZ 3D Gallery    11915

Posted: 05 March 2013 02:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-05-14
Cho first link giving a 403 error for me IE9. Exactly reference images are a great help.

Yes it all depends if the hammer is coming down, hit or on it's way back up.
 Signature 

Pete

My Gallery

Facebook

Posted: 05 March 2013 02:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  16733
Joined  2003-10-09
works for me in FF. I was hoping to find some better ones. Number 2 husband was a welder, but for fun he did handmade wrought iron, so I am quite used to seeing him working.

I might add that he also had very few work shirts with out burn marks from the sparks. THey could also manage to get past his overalls and boots and perforate his socks. Airtex socks lol
[ Edited: 05 March 2013 03:15 PM by chohole ]
 Signature 

Chohole’s Space        NeilV’s Freebies and stuff        Winter Bryce Rendering Challenge        November Freebie Challenge
My DAZ 3D Gallery    11915

Posted: 05 March 2013 02:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5920
Joined  2005-08-29
chohole - 05 March 2013 02:56 PM
works for me in FF. I was hoping to find some better ones. Number 2 husband was a wekder, but for fun he did handmade wrought iron, so I am quite used to seeing him working.

I might add that he also had very few work shirts with out burn marks from the sparks. THey could also manage to get past his overalls and boots and perforate his socks. Airtex socks lol

Works for me too (Safari/OS X), but the link is rather long, made a tiny URL of it http://tinyurl.com/aonzh92
 Signature 

=============================================
My DAZ Gallery  | The adventures of Lomund
Free RPG adventures for DnD, O:FR and more: http://4eyes.code66.se
Community Volunteer

Proud member of the Bald Wizards Club
I always look on the bright side of life, ‘cause I never expected the Spanish inquisition!

Posted: 05 March 2013 03:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-05-14
Weird works now, you and your fancy browsers. smile raspberry
 Signature 

Pete

My Gallery

Facebook

Posted: 05 March 2013 05:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  177
Joined  2012-08-07
Thank you everyone for your input.
@BlumBlumShub - I did consider using gloves but thought they would hide to much of the pose. I need to rethink that one.
@Szark - Reading your post and looking at Choholes pictures I noticed my biggest mistake - The anvil is to high. I did look at a few reference photos but was only looking at the hands. I think I have the muscle morphs and will have a look at them.
@Chohole - Thanks for the image links, looking at them I noticed that the anvil is below waist height and in my image it's almost at the bottom of the chest. In my youth I spent some time working in Foundries and Know what you mean about those sparks getting in everywhere.

Posted: 05 March 2013 06:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  236
Joined  2007-11-24
Szark, thank you so much for the constructive concritism. Always welcome.

I definately was going for the hand as focal point. I'm going to try the 35mm camera and see what happens.

By composition, do you mean why so much negative space to the right? I'm trying to get the picture so that people see the hand first, then look for the owner and can't see him. Sort of a creep factor if I can pull it off. Is it too much you think?

Posted: 05 March 2013 06:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-05-14
No the black space I wrongly or rightly assumed was reserved for a prop. If you look at the first link and read all 5 pages you will soon understand what I mean. The most simple and common rule is the rule of thrids. so divide your image in to nine, 3 down and 3 acroos, where the lines meet there will be 4 points, these are the main focal points that can draw the eye in to your main subject.
 Signature 

Pete

My Gallery

Facebook

Posted: 05 March 2013 07:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  16477
Joined  2009-01-22
A page or two back somebody mentioned Archery poses that looked wrong. And I can say that this is the BEST I can do with a Gen4 (V4) figure. Was not happy the Gen4's had so few adjustments for real looking poses with the hands.

Image Attachments
Archer.png
 Signature 

Exile, Drows Walk: A Tale of Jaderail starts here. Free pulp fiction at its Fantasy best, Updated 2/3/14.
Proud Member of the Bald Wizards Club My stuff at DeviantArt

Posted: 05 March 2013 09:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1552
Joined  2011-11-16
Jaderail - 05 March 2013 07:19 PM
A page or two back somebody mentioned Archery poses that looked wrong. And I can say that this is the BEST I can do with a Gen4 (V4) figure. Was not happy the Gen4's had so few adjustments for real looking poses with the hands.

Looks great except for one little thing. The arrow is on the wrong side of the bow. You've got it on the thumb side (Japanese style), not along the carpal side (Western style).

Posted: 05 March 2013 10:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-01-22
LOL! I was taught this style as a boy. I never got great but I was okay.
 Signature 

Exile, Drows Walk: A Tale of Jaderail starts here. Free pulp fiction at its Fantasy best, Updated 2/3/14.

Posted: 05 March 2013 10:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1552
Joined  2011-11-16
Jaderail - 05 March 2013 10:09 PM
Yeah, It's supposed to rest along the back of the hand. If you look at any compound or recurve bow with an "arrow rest" built into it, the arrow rest always sits on the "finger" side of the bow, not the Thumb side. Thus, for a right handed bow (held in the left hand) the arrow rest is on the left side of the bow. On a left handed bow (held in the right hand), the arrow rest is on the right side of the bow. When loading the bow, the bow is held horizontally with the hand facing palm down, and the arrow is placed on top and nocked before rotating the hand back to vertical to draw.

Posted: 05 March 2013 10:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 30 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-01-22
Tramp Graphics - 05 March 2013 10:25 PM
Jaderail - 05 March 2013 10:09 PM
Yeah, It's supposed to rest along the back of the hand. If you look at any compound or recurve bow with an "arrow rest" built into it, the arrow rest always sits on the "finger" side of the bow, not the Thumb side. Thus, for a right handed bow (held in the left hand) the arrow rest is on the left side of the bow. On a left handed bow (held in the right hand), the arrow rest is on the right side of the bow. When loading the bow, the bow is held horizontally with the hand facing palm down, and the arrow is placed on top and nocked before rotating the hand back to vertical to draw.
I guess my Dad was clueless, and most of the time I used bundle type survivalist quick made bows with reed arrows and fire hardened hard wood tips. Real primitive stuff. Don't think I ever used a real one more than twice in my life.I'll try a different pose now that I know better.
 Signature 

2 of 9