Digital Art Zone

1 of 9
WIP THREAD FOR NEW USERS CONTEST, March 2013.
Posted: 03 March 2013 02:46 AM   [ Ignore ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5481
Joined  2005-08-29
Totte - 03 March 2013 03:00 AM
New User's Contest - March 2013

Sponsored by DAZ 3D & IgnisSerpentus

Are you new to the 3D World? Are you at the beginning stages of learning 3D rendering? Have you been around for a little bit but feel you could benefit from some feedback or instruction? Have you been around awhile and would like to help other members start their creative journey? Well then come and join the fun as we host our newest contest...

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________

"Holding Hands"

We all need a hand from time to time, to help, to lend to hold. This month’s contest is about hands, hands that hold things or hold onto things.

Intent: To create a scene where the holding hand is the important part, posing, shaping and lighting, but also put the hand into a context of the image.

This months sponsor is IgnisSerpentus her store is here http://www.daz3d.com/ignisserpentus

I will be checking in on the WIP THREAD as will the rest of the Community Volunteers to try and help with anything you all may need.

For a list of the current contest rules, please see this thread: Contest Rules

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________

When working on your submissions, if you would like to get feedback as you work or before posting your final image, please post your image to the WIP THREAD . People will be popping in to the WIP THREAD to give you some critique and advice on your entry and help along the way. Please keep all comments on entries etc to the WIP THREAD as well because comments or requests for help/feedback/advice will be removed from the contest thread and merged into the WIP THREAD . This thread is only for posting final contest submissions.

For those veterans of the forums that would like to help, because this contest is designed for the beginner to learn from, we will be randomly selecting posts offering helpful tips and/or critiques to receive a special voucher as well so whether you are a seasoned artist or an aspiring one, there is fun for everyone!

Closing Date: March 31th 2013
[ Edited: 09 April 2013 01:17 PM by Frank0314 ]
 Signature 

=============================================
My DAZ Gallery  | The adventures of Lomund
Free RPG adventures for DnD, O:FR and more: http://4eyes.code66.se
Community Volunteer

Proud member of the Bald Wizards Club
I always look on the bright side of life, ‘cause I never expected the Spanish inquisition!

Posted: 03 March 2013 06:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7838
Joined  2009-05-14
I'll hold your hand Totte....metaphorically speaking. smile

Nice Theme, posing hands can be tricky...a little eaier with Genesis compared to the Gen 4 figures but still fiddly. When it matters I spend hours getting the hand pose right, looking at real photos, looking in the mirror (can't spend long doing that cause it scares me). A starting hand pose can help but there is nothing like zooming in on the hand and spending the time moving each joint manually.
 Signature 

Pete

Somethings to Consider when starting to learn CG

My Gallery

My Render Thread and Tutorials

Proud member of the Bald Wizards Club and Co-operative

Posted: 03 March 2013 09:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  134
Joined  2005-02-08
Hmm. My initial thought on this was "good challenge, but not likely I'll do it," because I came up totally blank on things to do with hands. But then I remembered music, and how it bugs the heck out of me when artists get musicians' hands wrong. (I play flute. Tons of people have less than no clue how a flute gets held.) So... Look out, I feel a musically oriented image coming on.
 Signature 

the Evil Kitten Project

Posted: 03 March 2013 12:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  128
Joined  2012-11-22
After reading @sithkitten's post, I thought about some of the artwork I've seen recently where figures are posed incorrectly holding the reins of a horse. I've noticed this especially in the representations of English style riding. Another area I've noticed challenges in posing is the use of a bow and arrow and proper positioning of hands especially when an arrow is knocked. I think I'll have a go at these smile

Posted: 03 March 2013 02:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2901
Joined  2004-10-25
Nice theme Totte! Don't know if you chose it, or you all got together and polled to see which theme to do this month, but this should turn out to be a very interesting challenge. A couple of good render ideas already, and I'm sure there will be even more.

I look forward to seeing what everyone comes up with. wink
 Signature 

OK . . . Where’s my chocolate?     Post Count —> 3,263 and growing!     Visit my Renderosity Gallery

It’s what you learn after you know it all that counts ~ John Wooden

Posted: 03 March 2013 05:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  134
Joined  2005-02-08
Those things bug me too, stormlyght. I can get the hands right, 'cause I know how to ride and shoot a bow, but getting the dratted reins right makes me swear. Haven't managed it yet. And I haven't done much with bows yet, although I will, because I love archery. So if you discover a way to do reins and bowstrings that's easier than cussing at a D-former, let me know, please? cheese
 Signature 

the Evil Kitten Project

Posted: 04 March 2013 05:33 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  177
Joined  2012-08-07
Starting to look OK, but not sure of the left hand.

Still a lot of work to do on the surfaces. Have left the hammer a fraction above the sword as I want it to look like it has just been hit with sparks flying off. Might have to figure out how to do that in post.
Image Attachments
smithy01.jpg

Posted: 04 March 2013 05:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-08-29
bluemoon - 04 March 2013 05:33 AM

Still a lot of work to do on the surfaces. Have left the hammer a fraction above the sword as I want it to look like it has just been hit with sparks flying off. Might have to figure out how to do that in post.

Coming along great, but try to "add weight", which basically mean the hammer is heavy, and the left hand is forced down by gravity and its own weight, and at the same time holding the blade still.

There are some sparks available in the store (I think Jepe has some special effects like that), or you can crate a small sphere using basic shapes, and use the area light as a shader and then use the built in Create->Create Instances to add multi copies of it. Or you can use postwork which probably is the easiest way. Keep up the good work!
 Signature 

Community Volunteer

I always look on the bright side of life, ‘cause I never expected the Spanish inquisition!

Posted: 04 March 2013 06:04 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  177
Joined  2012-08-07
Thanks Totte! The only way I can think of to add weight is to flex some muscles. Honestly it is something I have never considered before and is probably the reason that even though I am happy with some of the renders I do, they don't seem quite right as though something is missing.

Posted: 04 March 2013 02:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1011
Joined  2007-04-08
bluemoon - 04 March 2013 05:33 AM

Posing hands is a serious challenge, and there are a couple of points in this image that I would like to advise on. Not because I'm an expert in DS or Poser, but because they make sense to me as a viewer.

First: The blacksmith seems to be pulling away from the hammer. It would look more natural if he were leaning into it a little. From the point of view of weight and gravity you'd basically be softening the blow as it is now, and yet the rest of the pose indicates that he's hitting hard.

Second: That blade is hot, he's just brought it out of the coals. But it looks like he's putting his thumb on it. Owie!

Lovely looking image so far though, I'm really getting the feeling from the picture of heat, hard work and someone who is taking a pride in his craft.
 Signature 

You’re never too old for metaballs!  ~Michael Frank

Posted: 04 March 2013 08:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  204
Joined  2007-11-24
Not quite what I was going for - the hands reaching from behind are too pink. Not sure about the lighting on her hair either.
Image Attachments
Blackness.jpg

Posted: 05 March 2013 12:13 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-08-29
SGCBearcub - 04 March 2013 08:31 PM
Not quite what I was going for - the hands reaching from behind are too pink. Not sure about the lighting on her hair either.

You might need to tweak the diffuse channel for the surface shader for the hand, turn it a little browner, just a little, and for the light, remember that it is always good to have a strong light from behind, it fills out the contours.
 Signature 

Community Volunteer

Posted: 05 March 2013 06:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Rank
Joined  2007-11-24
Totte - 05 March 2013 12:13 AM

You might need to tweak the diffuse channel for the surface shader for the hand, turn it a little browner, just a little, and for the light, remember that it is always good to have a strong light from behind, it fills out the contours.

Thank-you:) I'll try that.

Posted: 05 March 2013 08:18 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Rank
Joined  2007-11-24
Totte - 05 March 2013 12:13 AM

Okay, tweaked the diffuse and tried a fill light. I like it much better. She doesn't look so flat anymore. Thanks!
Image Attachments
Blackness2.jpg

Posted: 05 March 2013 09:54 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-08-29
That's really starting to look good!
 Signature 

Community Volunteer

Posted: 05 March 2013 01:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7838
Joined  2009-05-14
Looking good so far, more comments from me on the images posted so far latter but first a brief interruption while I share my thoughts on posing hands.

They really can make or break an image but it does depend if they are a crucial part of the image.

Example: (I bet some of you are getting sick of seeing this image) In this image below I spent a good deal of time on just one hand, obvious as it is the only one there. wink Anyway in Image 1 you can see how I posed the hand, took me days to get it to that stage never getting it to look right, well fitting the image really. Yes it is ok as that is how some hold a pipe as shown in a google search for reference images but it didn’t look right. Then a friend popped around one day and said he had vivid memories of his Grandfather and how he held his pipe. So we went searching through those images until we found one that resembled how his Granddad held his pipe. I then used that image as a reference. This didn’t mean it took a few minutes to pose on the contrary I spent a whole day just on the hand. Once I got the hand right the image started to come together which drove me on to the end product, image 2.

Can you see how the last image is so much better that the first, just with the hand I mean. Image 2 has had some much more work, more than the hand, put in to it than image 1. smile
Image Attachments
Handpose1.jpgHandpose2.jpg
 Signature 

Pete

Somethings to Consider when starting to learn CG

My Gallery

My Render Thread and Tutorials

Proud member of the Bald Wizards Club and Co-operative

1 of 9