Digital Art Zone

4 of 12
Golden Rules of Composition V1.5 UPDATE Now LIVE.
Posted: 12 March 2013 01:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 46 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  16403
Joined  2009-01-22

Dang, Nice work Bandit. Looks like I’ll need to just give up Rendering and Create tools for people that can render.

Heads Up, for DS4.0 Users. I have beaten DS4.0 into line and the Project is WELL under way now. I should only need another day or so now.

Signature 

Exile, Drows Walk: A Tale of Jaderail starts here. Free pulp fiction at its Fantasy best, Updated 2/3/14.
Proud Member of the Bald Wizards Club My stuff at DeviantArt

Posted: 13 March 2013 12:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 47 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  524
Joined  2012-11-06

Hey Jaderail,

Awesome job on this!  You can check out my first render that used the Golden Rules prop over in the Escape contest thread.  My entry is called Be My Victim.

So I am having a weird issue….I can not get the rule of thirds grid to work.  The spirals come up just fine in the view port but not the GL_Sections or RO_thirds.  When I load them I can see the bounding corners but the object is blank no matter what MAT I try to load.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

Signature 

Get updates on the progress of Capsized the Movie!

“Just because I don’t know the meaning of my art, does not mean it has no meaning.” - Salvador Dali

My Video Portfolio
My Art Portfolio
My Music

Posted: 13 March 2013 06:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 48 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-01-22
Geminii23 - 13 March 2013 12:45 PM

Hey Jaderail,

Awesome job on this!  You can check out my first render that used the Golden Rules prop over in the Escape contest thread.  My entry is called Be My Victim.

So I am having a weird issue….I can not get the rule of thirds grid to work.  The spirals come up just fine in the view port but not the GL_Sections or RO_thirds.  When I load them I can see the bounding corners but the object is blank no matter what MAT I try to load.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

Hmm.. That’s odd. The RO_Thirds should auto load with the Camera Prop. Does it Not? Which Version of DS4.5 are you running? I’m using the newest Update 4.5.1.56 and yes 4.5.1.6 is older, in Prgs All the numbers matter 56 is higher than 6.

Signature 

Exile, Drows Walk: A Tale of Jaderail starts here. Free pulp fiction at its Fantasy best, Updated 2/3/14.

Posted: 14 March 2013 02:09 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 49 ]
RankRank
Joined  2012-11-06

Hey Jade,

Yes I am on the latest .56 of DAZ.  Any other thoughts?  Do you know if the plugin only allows for one rule in a project.  IE - you can not switch between them?  I seem to remember that the first time I launched it did show the rule of thirds but since using the spirals, now I can not use the rule of thirds again.

Thanks.

Signature 

“Just because I don’t know the meaning of my art, does not mean it has no meaning.” - Salvador Dali

My Video Portfolio
My Art Portfolio
My Music

Posted: 14 March 2013 10:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 50 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-01-22

I have not a clue my friend. I’m still using mine without issue. You should be able to swap overlays at any time. The only thing I’ve not tried is saving as a Scene Subset. It still functions for me when saved with a Scene file so I think a Subset should work as well. You are Expanding your Camera and Selecting the Golden Rule to change settings are you not? If you are I’m stumped.

Signature 

Posted: 14 March 2013 12:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 51 ]
RankRank
Joined  2012-11-06

The only thing I can think of is that I had already applied DOF and made several adjustments to focal length on the camera.  Would that affect things?  Kind of like how the viewport shows transparency/opacity on the clothing, the hair, etc so they are not visible but you can still see the figure and other elements.  Not sure how to explain that.

Signature 

My Video Portfolio
My Art Portfolio
My Music

Posted: 14 March 2013 02:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 52 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-01-22

Ah, Yes DOF could cause the Overlay plane to NOT be visible. But you really should have Set up the Scene before the DOF was added. Here is a quick Work around. With your DOF Camera as the Active Camera Create a new Camera and use Apply Active Veiwport when Prompted. Then Turn DOF off on it then add the Golden Rules to the new Camera. That Should work. I never thought of DOF being added before the Scene set up was finished. I will need to Up date my PDF. Thank you for pointing this out to me.

EDIT: You can also try adjusting the SIZE of the Overlay (X Z). The Focal length might be so sharp the Overlay is to Large to see.

Signature 

Posted: 14 March 2013 02:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 53 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2673
Joined  2011-12-10

Just downloaded this, excellent work Jederail!  Thank you!

Signature 

My DeviantArt Galleries
My ShareCG Gallery
OPENSUBDIV Testing and Discussion
3Delight Surface and Lighting Thread

Posted: 14 March 2013 02:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 54 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-01-22

Most welcome WanCow. Lets see some work with it. I love to see them.

Signature 

Posted: 14 March 2013 03:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 55 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-01-22
Geminii23 - 14 March 2013 12:55 PM

The only thing I can think of is that I had already applied DOF and made several adjustments to focal length on the camera.  Would that affect things?  Kind of like how the viewport shows transparency/opacity on the clothing, the hair, etc so they are not visible but you can still see the figure and other elements.  Not sure how to explain that.

I have done some Testing And Focal length looks to be the Issue that Can cause the Overlay to not Show properly. I had to Adjust the Overlay size with every Change of the Focal length change I made to the Camera (Still just X and Z scaling all that was needed). DOF did not effect the Use.

Signature 

Posted: 14 March 2013 04:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 56 ]
RankRank
Joined  2012-11-06
Jaderail - 14 March 2013 02:42 PM

Ah, Yes DOF could cause the Overlay plane to NOT be visible. But you really should have Set up the Scene before the DOF was added. Here is a quick Work around. With your DOF Camera as the Active Camera Create a new Camera and use Apply Active Veiwport when Prompted. Then Turn DOF off on it then add the Golden Rules to the new Camera. That Should work. I never thought of DOF being added before the Scene set up was finished. I will need to Up date my PDF. Thank you for pointing this out to me.

EDIT: You can also try adjusting the SIZE of the Overlay (X Z). The Focal length might be so sharp the Overlay is to Large to see.

Actually for me the reverse should be true.  If you set up your scene with no camera, once you apply depth of field and change focal length couldn’t you end up drastically changing the the view to where elements might no longer be within the guides?

So I determined that only the GL_Sections and RO_Thirds are affects by Focal Length.  The other rules work fine and are not affected by DOF or Focal Length.  On the GL_Sections what I have happen is that only two lines show up and RO_Thirds has nothing visible.  Here aer some test images.

Thanks.

Image Attachments
daz-GO_Sections.jpgdaz-RO_Thirds.jpg
 Signature 

My Video Portfolio
My Art Portfolio
My Music

Posted: 14 March 2013 05:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 57 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-01-22

If you Give me a Shot of your Camera Settings I’ll see If I can do some tests and figure out an Update to fix this issue. I really want this to work properly for all users for all uses. Also Please expand the Golden Rules fully and Post it if you would please. I’m so happy you have posted this and I now have a chance to fix it before I Finish the DS4.0 version.

You have been a Big Help.

Jeff

Signature 

Posted: 14 March 2013 07:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 58 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  675
Joined  2012-02-06
Jaderail - 12 March 2013 01:57 PM

Dang, Nice work Bandit. Looks like I’ll need to just give up Rendering and Create tools for people that can render.

Thank you so much, Jeff, I’m Jaime cheese

Don’t sell yourself short; didn’t your signature used to say that the only person you should compete with is yourself?  And there’s a bromide that observes a person who compare themselves to others will end up bitter or vain. tongue laugh

But leaving those aside, I’m a great fan of your work (especially the ones that involve Bruuna LOL ); you have a classic, cinematographic style that makes for compelling story telling grin

Enough pontificating.  You rock! wink

Best,
Jaime

Signature 

LuxCompagno at deviantart

Posted: 14 March 2013 07:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 59 ]
RankRank
Joined  2012-11-06
Jaderail - 14 March 2013 05:25 PM

If you Give me a Shot of your Camera Settings I’ll see If I can do some tests and figure out an Update to fix this issue. I really want this to work properly for all users for all uses. Also Please expand the Golden Rules fully and Post it if you would please. I’m so happy you have posted this and I now have a chance to fix it before I Finish the DS4.0 version.

You have been a Big Help.

Jeff

Ok, I think I follow you.  Here are more screen shots.  Please let me know if this helps.

Image Attachments
daz-GL_Sp_Tris-xl.jpgdaz-GO_Sections-xl.jpgdaz-RO_Thirds-xl.jpgdaz4-GR-Camera-settings.jpg
 Signature 

My Video Portfolio
My Art Portfolio
My Music

Posted: 14 March 2013 08:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 60 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-01-22
Geminii23 - 14 March 2013 07:41 PM

Ok, I think I follow you.  Here are more screen shots.  Please let me know if this helps.

Yes this will help greatly I would like just one more please With the Golden rule Selected could you pick Transforms in the Parameters Tab. That will give me the last bit of Info I should need.

Thank you So Much for the help. I’ll think of some way to thank you properly once I get this tracked down and Fixed.

Jeff

Signature 

4 of 12