Digital Art Zone

2 of 3
Men’s formal Opera cloak WIP
Posted: 12 March 2013 06:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2945
Joined  2011-12-10

The thing is, not understanding how a cloak moves, I’m not going to be all that much help.

HOWEVER

There is this http://www.renderosity.com/mod/freestuff/details.php?item_id=69567

This rig is something I used to do this one: http://www.sharecg.com/v/67408/view/21/DAZ-Studio/New-Dress-Rig

do not be affraid to move bones around.

to add bones, I suggest this video series, they go into detail of how it is done better than I could:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8cV3VaC7eIs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k52wwyv234U
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rIIM1oAan7o

Signature 

My DeviantArt Galleries
My ShareCG Gallery
OPENSUBDIV Testing and Discussion
3Delight Surface and Lighting Thread

Posted: 12 March 2013 08:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1550
Joined  2011-11-16

OK. That gives me some idea where to start. My thinking is to give each major outward fold a group of bones with the “valleys” between them as the transition (as opposed to the actual lines of the mesh). This will give me about nine bone groups all radiating from each of the collars or chest bones. OF course, that leaves the question of what to name these bone groups and how many bones per group. IT also leaves the question on how to make symmetrical bone layouts.

Posted: 12 March 2013 09:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-12-10

I believe you’re just going to have to do symmetry by hand… that’ll be very tedious…

Signature 

My DeviantArt Galleries
My ShareCG Gallery

Posted: 13 March 2013 08:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2011-11-16

I’ve got the right side’s bones in place. Still need the left side, but don’t know how to properly use the Mirror Joints tool. Last time I tried, it screwed up the bones I had already in place. I don’t want to go through that again. I won’t add the central spine bones until the left side is done.

Image Attachments
Cloak-08.jpg

Posted: 14 March 2013 12:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2011-11-16

Well, I think I’ve figured it out. When creating the “mirrored"bones, you have to copy down the exact X.Y, Z positions of Center Point and End Point for each of the bones you want to mirror and then manually type those values in for the new “mirrored” bone exactly, except for the “X” value which needs to be the inverse (-14.87 becomes 14.87, etc. ) Next comes the real fun—selecting polygons and setting the face groups; In particular, how to select polygons in the front without selecting the Polygons that make up the back, and vice versa.  Take a look:

Image Attachments
Cloak-09.jpgCloak-10.jpg

Posted: 14 March 2013 04:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1477
Joined  2008-01-01

IIRC, using the paint brush to select polys won’t select the those in back, but it is a slow, painful process - probably the weakest point in using the CCT.

Posted: 14 March 2013 08:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2011-11-16
Roygee - 14 March 2013 04:16 AM

IIRC, using the paint brush to select polys won’t select the those in back, but it is a slow, painful process - probably the weakest point in using the CCT.

That’s an understatement, especially since this entire mesh is a thickened mesh made up of two objects with two layers each. And I can’t get to the inside of the capelet with the brush. I have to use either the Lasso or rectangle.

Posted: 14 March 2013 11:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  277
Joined  2005-09-15

Umm, double post.  red face

Signature 

Cheers, Fanners.raspberry

Posted: 14 March 2013 11:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  277
Joined  2005-09-15

Not that I have the faintness idea of rigging, but if your cape consists of two meshes inner and outer, can’t you hide the outer mesh so gaining access to the inner one?  zipper

Dur!  Just reread you explanation, OK can you not temporarily hide the main cape so that you can gain access to the underside of the cape-let if they are the two different objects ?

Signature 

Cheers, Fanners.raspberry

Posted: 14 March 2013 12:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-12-10

Hiding polygons can be done in the Polygon Group Editor.

Tramp, it’s looking fantstic!  Can’t wait to see how it moves!!!  Well Done!

Signature 

My DeviantArt Galleries
My ShareCG Gallery

Posted: 14 March 2013 02:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2011-11-16
RedSquare - 14 March 2013 11:46 AM

Not that I have the faintness idea of rigging, but if your cape consists of two meshes inner and outer, can’t you hide the outer mesh so gaining access to the inner one?  zipper

Dur!  Just reread you explanation, OK can you not temporarily hide the main cape so that you can gain access to the underside of the cape-let if they are the two different objects ?

That’s not the issue. I want to select the inner and outer together, just not back and front.

Posted: 14 March 2013 02:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2008-01-01

OK, so this is where you have to do a lot of finessing:)

You want to allocate a part of the mesh to a specific domain, which must include the outer and inner layer, but not the mesh behind it.  So, select everything you don’t want to include and hide it.  Then select the outer layer that you do want, allocate and hide it.  Then select the inner matching layer and add that to the domain.

Simple?  No way - you may need a Cray computer to keep track:)

I’ll keep an interested eye on this - always been told that double layers for clothing is a big no-no, so holding thumbs this will work out for you:)

Posted: 14 March 2013 11:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2011-11-16
Roygee - 14 March 2013 02:49 PM

OK, so this is where you have to do a lot of finessing:)

You want to allocate a part of the mesh to a specific domain, which must include the outer and inner layer, but not the mesh behind it.  So, select everything you don’t want to include and hide it.  Then select the outer layer that you do want, allocate and hide it.  Then select the inner matching layer and add that to the domain.

Simple?  No way - you may need a Cray computer to keep track:)

I’ll keep an interested eye on this - always been told that double layers for clothing is a big no-no, so holding thumbs this will work out for you:)

It gets even better. I need to create perfectly mirrored face groups left and right.

Posted: 14 March 2013 11:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2008-01-01

Well, can’t say your’e not up for the BIG challenges:)  Those are the one’s that give the most satisfaction, so, more power to your mouse!

Posted: 14 March 2013 11:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 30 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2011-11-16
Roygee - 14 March 2013 11:31 PM

Well, can’t say your’e not up for the BIG challenges:)  Those are the one’s that give the most satisfaction, so, more power to your mouse!

I’ve never been one to take the easy road. I typically jump in head first and learn by taking on “big”, rather complex projects. I never start simple, and I typically have no clue what I’m doing when I start. Call me a glutton for punishment.

2 of 3