Well, I’ve started working on a new piece, and have the modeling done for the most part. It still needs collapsing, UV mapping, and Mat zones,but it’s looking good so far. The real “fun” is going to be rigging. The plan is to rig it to fit Genesis figures, with the extremities “bones’ going out to the collar, but not the arms themselves, and then using handles, and possibly movement morphs, to allow the main body of the the cloak to move independently of the figure, and thus flow more naturally. I have absolutely no clue how to pull that off.
I started with a large 21 point sphere primitive with one level of smoothing (the radius equal to the height of the Genesis figure), cut it in half at the equator (deleting the bottom half) to make a hemisphere, flattened that, and thickened it. After that, I selected the entire outer edge of the thickened disk, cut it away, and did the same for the “bottom disk”. This set of steps was needed to allow the disk to be bent and shaped after flattening. Otherwise, all it did was move vertices along a single axis.
Then, using the Edge tool (extract edge along edge) I Extracted the inner most ring inward to fit more closely to the neck of the Genesis figure, selected the inner most wedges inside this new ring, and cut them away creating the neck hole. With Symmetry on along the X axis, selecting radial lines or faces (it varied)up to the (now—second-most inner ring), I rotated them down, repeating radially around the whole cloak, starting from the spine and working forward, and adjusting as needed. Then I select about two wedges on either side of center of the front, and cut them away,
Once this was done, I collapsed the geometry and added a new level of smoothing. I then copied the cloak selected the outer three or four rings, and cut them away, creating a smaller capelet, selected two wedges more on either side of center of the capelet, and deleted them to widen the front opening further. I selected part of the front edge of the main cloak, and folded it over diagonally (selecting two to three more points along the top edge out towards the extremities) to create the lapel. After adjusting the necklines of both the cloak and capelet, I created a 70 point cylinder with only two edges (top and bottom), set symmetry to the X axis, widened the bottom edge, and narrowed the top edge. I then bridged the cloak’s neckline to the top edge of the collar, one segment at a time, creating a folded collar, and cut away the remaining unbridged faces from the cylinder, opening the collar in front. After making adjustments to both the capelet and cloak to fix poke through and sizing to fit a clothed figure wearing a jacket, I thickened both the capelet and cloak each with .02 thickness to create the inner lining. I think about the only thing I might need to model yet, is a chain and clasps to secure the front of the cloak at the neckline.