Digital Art Zone

3 of 11
Exclusive news at CarraraCafe: Time and details about Carrara 8.5 and 9 releases
Posted: 26 February 2013 05:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 31 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1413
Joined  2011-01-03
emeyer - 25 February 2013 10:09 PM

Hm. It appears Scott Adams has started working at DAZ too : The more the merrier)

Is this the one you are talking about: http://www.dilbert.com/fast/2013-02-25/

Signature 

- Garstor
Australian-Canadian currently trapped in Texas (maintaining sanity with doses of Carrara, LightWave and PhotoShop)

My 3D art Flickr page for final or near-final images
My 3D art Flickr page for work-in-progress or experiments

Posted: 26 February 2013 05:56 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 32 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  64
Joined  2005-06-16
ManStan - 25 February 2013 11:16 PM

We weren’t told anything in the announcement on carraracafe that we didn’t already know.

That’s not quite true. Whatever else was said within that, we got two pieces of information:

1. There will be a release version of 8.5, and
2. There will be a Carrara 9

That’s two fewer pieces of uncertainty than we had before; I recall a joke or two about selling to Smith Micro?

Still, there’s a long way to go. For instance, what extra whiz-bang are they planning on putting into C9? What new features are they going to add?

Oh, and there is one piece of information that I absolutely do not want to hear at this point: The release date on C9. That should be too far out, and if they’re adding any major features, the timetable could slip and slop either way.

Signature 

Posts on previous forum: 218. And yeah, I was bitchy back then too.

Posted: 26 February 2013 05:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 33 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2011-01-03
ManStan - 25 February 2013 11:16 PM

We weren’t told anything in the announcement on carraracafe that we didn’t already know.

Really Stan? You knew the planned release dates for C8.5 and C9? Why didn’t you tell us sooner? tongue wink

Sure, the rest of the announcement is just a features list that most of us knew about already ... but at least we have dates now.

Signature 

- Garstor
Australian-Canadian currently trapped in Texas (maintaining sanity with doses of Carrara, LightWave and PhotoShop)

Posted: 26 February 2013 06:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 34 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1694
Joined  0
Garstor - 26 February 2013 05:59 AM

Sure, the rest of the announcement is just a features list that most of us knew about already ... but at least we have dates now.

If you consider a “date” being spread over 1/4 of a year then yeah… with a 92-day margin of error… Unless it falls a little late then it becomes a 184-day margin of error….

But HEY that is like really specific for DAZ…

. tongue laugh (unless it’s delayed - then it’s the same as it always was… ) tongue wink

Looks like I’m sitting out MARCH MADNESS again. I’m sure it’ll all be Genesis so no reason for me to re-up my PC membership THIS year…

Signature 

320+ TUTORIALS for Carrara at CARRARA CAFE
C3DE - CARRARA 3D EXPO MAGAZINE - the showcase for Carrara Artists

Posted: 26 February 2013 06:17 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 35 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2011-01-03
holly wetcircuit - 26 February 2013 06:10 AM

If you consider a “date” being spread over 1/4 of a year then yeah… with a 92-day margin of error… Unless it falls a little late then it becomes a 184-day margin of error….

Et tu Holly?  raspberry

I do get it - it is the once burned, twice shy thing. I totally understand Stan’s cynicism and personally I waver a bit between Dart’s enthusiasm and Stan’s jaded practicality.

tongue laugh (unless it’s delayed - then it’s the same as it always was… ) tongue wink

::SLAP!!::  (But a deserved one…)

Looks like I’m sitting out MARCH MADNESS again. I’m sure it’ll all be Genesis so no reason for me to re-up my PC membership THIS year…

I was still very new to 3D and DAZ in particular last year—I didn’t make many purchases because I didn’t know how to organize a runtime. I would say, “And then I met Dart and my life changed.” But Rosie has dibs on that sentiment! smile

Signature 

- Garstor

Posted: 26 February 2013 06:24 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 36 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6391
Joined  2007-12-04
Garstor - 26 February 2013 06:17 AM

“And then I met Dart and my life changed.” But Rosie has dibs on that sentiment! smile

She sure does!
Ya know, People can pick on me for being able to figure out how to enjoy what Carrara has to offer all they want. I’m happy just knowing that Daz is still planning further development. I think that was just as exciting of news as 3d Rendero made it out to be. And then some.

Signature 

Dartanbeck @ Daz3d          Check out the Carrara Cafe          ►►►  Carrara Information Manual   ◄◄◄

Posted: 26 February 2013 06:35 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 37 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2011-01-03
Dartanbeck - 26 February 2013 06:24 AM

Ya know, People can pick on me for being able to figure out how to enjoy what Carrara has to offer all they want. I’m happy just knowing that Daz is still planning further development. I think that was just as exciting of news as 3d Rendero made it out to be. And then some.

You really went above and beyond with helping me to understand and organize runtimes. I’m deeply appreciative of that.

Playing with other people’s models then grew my desire to make models of my own. That, in turn, got me passionate about Carrara and what it can do as well as what it should do (IMHO).

Signature 

- Garstor

Posted: 26 February 2013 07:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 38 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  0
Garstor - 26 February 2013 06:17 AM

Et tu Holly?  raspberry

Awww. I can’t have a little fun too?

I’m just pointing out that this announcement of an announcement is highly inspecific on those targeted release dates, but I’m laughing WITH Daz, not at… It’s a confirmation of what was said before… but it is good to hear the plan is still the same…

There must still be a lot wrong with C8.5/Genesis if we will be waiting until May/June for that release. long face At least 2 more serials for the beta. In THEORY they are not leaving C8 with a million bugs, but it’s taken so long I can’t imagine what they will be charging for 8.5…

C9? yeah, ok. let’s wait and see.

**edit**
The ONLY reason I’m playing this beta game is because I have no choice. C8.1 is unusable for animations on Mac. The beta we’ve been stuck with for the last 8 months is far from stable, but if I had a serial option I would have done it long ago…

I see nothing to get excited about YET.

Signature 

Posted: 26 February 2013 07:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 39 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  248
Joined  0

ehy you @ daz may I suggest one simple item to be renewed/modified in C8.5? GUI, it’s easy to do and has much appeal in the audience, not much to do, just 2 or 3 color presets and pretty new icons cheese cool smile

Posted: 26 February 2013 07:44 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 40 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  0
magaremoto - 26 February 2013 07:38 AM

ehy you @ daz may I suggest one simple item to be renewed/modified in C8.5? GUI, it’s easy to do and has much appeal in the audience, not much to do, just 2 or 3 color presets and pretty new icons cheese cool smile

No, they already failed miserably at updating the Carrara program icon. NO NO NO!

(and you can change the colors yourself.)

Signature 

Posted: 26 February 2013 07:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 41 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1231
Joined  2004-11-07

I have the short term memory of a head of lettuce, and the attention span of a house cat, but I haven’t forgotten about the “update in a few days” that we never got. So the last thing I believe from DAZ is when something is coming out.

I may predict some gloom and doom but I had no doubt there was going to be an 8.5 and 9, so no news there.

When is news not news? When optimists dance in the streets for little crumbs of emptiness.

And why are the optimists dancing about this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xLsRI7-hBs

Posted: 26 February 2013 07:55 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 42 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  248
Joined  0
holly wetcircuit - 26 February 2013 07:44 AM
magaremoto - 26 February 2013 07:38 AM

No, they already failed miserably at updating the Carrara program icon. NO NO NO!

(and you can change the colors yourself.)

allright, maybe more tabs switching in the assembly room?:roll:

Posted: 26 February 2013 08:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 43 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  607
Joined  2004-11-12

I’m good with their announcement. I was hoping for it to be that C8.5 would be here in March, but I won’t complain. In fact, I’m quite pleased because the dreaded DAZ “soon” wasn’t in the announcement rolleyes
For DAZ to give us definite time frame is really unusual. I do expect the actual release to be on the last day possible, that’s pretty much SOP for most software companies.

Signature 

My Rendo Gallery

Posted: 26 February 2013 08:51 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 44 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  67
Joined  2005-12-23

I got an idea for a great movie. The collaboration movie could be based on this thread or any of the other ones talking about the next version of Carrara

The comments in this thread could be the script. It is funny. Dramatic. Pathetic, happy, sad,  confusing, mysterious. My gosh, it has all the emotions a top Hollywood screenwriter dreams of writing!

It has the characters, the plot, good guys, bad guys…

And it could be franchised…

This story will never end. It is like Batman or no wait Rocky OK maybe they’re tied but with this epic we could surely make more movie than they did.

Or we could do a movie based on the secret Carrara Manual. It could be like a Bond movie or the Da Vinci Code. Yeah that’s it. Carrara Code. I’d pay to see it.

Just a thought,
Craig

Posted: 26 February 2013 08:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 45 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  616
Joined  2007-08-14

Am I the only one who got the idea that this upcoming 8.5 release is supposed to have some features we don’t know about yet? That’s what the carraracafe announcement seems to say anyway.

In any case, I’m not touching the champagne until 8.5 is on my hard disk or at least in the store.

Signature 

These are not the tutorials you’re looking for. Move along.
My old profile

3 of 11