Digital Art Zone

1 of 2
how to select part of the object
Posted: 25 February 2013 02:28 AM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  153
Joined  2012-12-21

Hi

I’m trying to make a maritime pine tree 3d object from a picture.
So far I have my tree ready to get its textures.
I have a really basic problem which is to select the foliage part and apply the texture and then to select only the the tree trunk and
apply the corresponding texture.
How can I select those different parts independently?

Thanks in advance

Signature 

Claude

Posted: 25 February 2013 02:55 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7082
Joined  2005-08-15

What application are you modelling the tree in?

After you complete your model, the next step is to UV Map it, so that DAZ Studio knows where to apply the textures to.  It involves using the built in UV Mapper for the modeller you are using, or the (free) UV Mapper application or similar (Blender?).  Once the UVs have been laid out, you create a template from the OBJ file, and take it into a paint program and apply the texture to it.

I Hexagon, for example, you can create Shading Domains, which is a way of selecting polygon groups, and applying a seperate texture to them.  These shading domains will appear in the DS Surfaces pane.  You could try that?

Another way is to use the Polygon Group Editor inside DAZ Studio, and assign a name to any group of polygons, and then apply the texture in the Surfaces pane.

UV Mapping will give far better results for most things.

Posted: 25 February 2013 03:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Joined  2012-12-21
JimmyC_2009 - 25 February 2013 02:55 AM

What application are you modelling the tree in?

After you complete your model, the next step is to UV Map it, so that DAZ Studio knows where to apply the textures to.  It involves using the built in UV Mapper for the modeller you are using, or the (free) UV Mapper application or similar (Blender?).  Once the UVs have been laid out, you create a template from the OBJ file, and take it into a paint program and apply the texture to it.

I Hexagon, for example, you can create Shading Domains, which is a way of selecting polygon groups, and applying a seperate texture to them.  These shading domains will appear in the DS Surfaces pane.  You could try that?

Another way is to use the Polygon Group Editor inside DAZ Studio, and assign a name to any group of polygons, and then apply the texture in the Surfaces pane.

UV Mapping will give far better results for most things.

Sorry I’m using Bryce 7

Signature 

Claude

Posted: 25 February 2013 03:12 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7082
Joined  2005-08-15

In that case, I will leave to a Bryce user to help you.

Chohole will know what to tell you I’m sure.

Posted: 25 February 2013 03:17 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Joined  2012-12-21
JimmyC_2009 - 25 February 2013 03:12 AM

In that case, I will leave to a Bryce user to help you.

Chohole will know what to tell you I’m sure.

Thanks Jimmy

Signature 

Claude

Posted: 25 February 2013 04:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  17066
Joined  2003-10-09

Is this a tree from the tree lab.

If so

I select the tree

2 selct edit from the attributes screen

3 select edit(next to material) for the leaves   then go to the material lab and select leaves

4 go back to the edit screen select edit material for trunk   THen select a trunk material from the trunks mats.

Image Attachments
Tree_lab_1.jpgtree_lab_2.jpgtree_lab_4.jpgtree_lab_3.jpg
 Signature 

Chohole’s Space        NeilV’s Freebies and stuff        Winter Bryce Rendering Challenge        December Freebie Challenge
My DAZ 3D Gallery    11915

Posted: 25 February 2013 04:21 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Rank
Joined  2012-12-21
chohole - 25 February 2013 04:10 AM

Is this a tree from the tree lab.

If so

I select the tree

2 selct edit from the attributes screen

3 select edit(next to material) for the leaves   then go to the material lab and select leaves

4 go back to the edit screen select edit material for trunk   THen select a trunk material from the trunks mats.

Hi Chohole, no it’s a tree I made myself from a picture I found on the web. There are no maritime pines in Bryce or DAZ studio and the only ones available on the web are very expensive.

Here is the state of my development; remains to round the tree and foliage and trunk and to apply the textures(foliage and bark)

So I need to select first the foliage part and modify it and then do the same for the trunk, but I don’t know to do the partial selections and I did not find in Bryce manual a topic on this matter.

Image Attachments
wire.pngrender.png
 Signature 

Claude

Posted: 25 February 2013 04:48 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2003-10-09

Ah, okay.  Are your leaves and trunk separated meshes ?  THat looks very much to me as though you have made that from a terrain or a Symlat.  If so, then you would need separtae one for the 2 different parts of the tree.

If it is two separate parts then use shift+Ctrl and then select one part of the tree that way, while in the wire frame view

Signature 

Chohole’s Space        NeilV’s Freebies and stuff        Winter Bryce Rendering Challenge        December Freebie Challenge

Posted: 25 February 2013 05:01 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Rank
Joined  2012-12-21
chohole - 25 February 2013 04:48 AM

Ah, okay.  Are your leaves and trunk separated meshes ?  THat looks very much to me as though you have made that from a terrain or a Symlat.  If so, then you would need separtae one for the 2 different parts of the tree.

If it is two separate parts then use shift+Ctrl and then select one part of the tree that way, while in the wire frame view

No unfortunately the the mesh is as a whole. I used Bryce to do this after making a mask with Photoshop elements 11 (I used this tutorial Bryce Tutorial: Create a 3D Gate Using a Black and White Picture

It looks to me that I’ll have to reform my mask by separating the trunk from the foliage in Photoshop….and create two objects that I’ll regroup once the textures are applied.!?

Signature 

Claude

Posted: 25 February 2013 05:25 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2003-10-09

Yes, Is the only way to do it really

If your tree is exactly the same shape as the image you used to make it from you could try add the texture as a picture image in the mat editor, but it is not guaranteed to succeed.

Image Attachments
tree_lab_5.jpgtree_lab_6.jpgtree_lab_7.jpg
 Signature 

Posted: 25 February 2013 05:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Rank
Joined  2012-12-21
chohole - 25 February 2013 05:25 AM

Yes, Is the only way to do it really

If your tree is exactly the same shape as the image you used to make it from you could try add the texture as a picture image in the mat editor, but it is not guaranteed to succeed.

ok I’ll try that too; thanks a lot.

Signature 

Claude

Posted: 25 February 2013 12:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Rank
Joined  2012-12-21

I have a new problem I don’t see how I should solve it.

The trunk of my tree resulting from the image I used is not cylindrical. (see picture). how can I change that? The top branch should also
look cylindrical .

Image Attachments
tree_trunk.png
 Signature 

Claude

Posted: 25 February 2013 01:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15717
Joined  2003-10-09

The technique is going to give you only a “cardboard cutout” - to be honest, I think your best bet would be to apply your image to a plane and use the mask you created to cut it out, to give a flat (but coloured) billboard.

Signature 

DAZ Studio Frequently Asked Questions

Index of free DAZ Studio scripts and plugins list

Posted: 25 February 2013 01:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Rank
Joined  2012-12-21
Richard Haseltine - 25 February 2013 01:19 PM

The technique is going to give you only a “cardboard cutout” - to be honest, I think your best bet would be to apply your image to a plane and use the mask you created to cut it out, to give a flat (but coloured) billboard.

The rendering would be horrible when the camera will go along the alley separating the palestra from the amphitheater see picture here:

Image Attachments
pompei.jpg
 Signature 

Claude

Posted: 25 February 2013 01:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  151
Joined  2004-06-24

I would suggest abandoning the method that you are attempting and find a tree shape in the tree lab which is close to what you are looking for and modifying it to what you want using all the available tools of the tree lab. Using a terrain type mesh is not going to produce a very good looking tree.

Cheers
GG

Signature 

WHO said Kiwis can’t fly ?????

Posted: 25 February 2013 02:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2003-10-09

Have you experimented with some of the alternative trees

Image Attachments
tree_demo.jpg
 Signature 

1 of 2