Congratulations! You are a March Madness BONUS BUYER!

Enjoy 10% OFF ALL PURCHASES STOREWIDE or enjoy 30% OFF items with a SKU number lower than 16000 & 30% OFF items from Runtime DNA.

Offer valid for intended recipient only

Giant Ants?

edited December 1969 in The Commons

Hi guys,

Does anyone know of any sources for giant (or small but detailed enough to be blown up) ant figures? I have some renders of people fighting off giant ants in mind that I would like to make, but have not been able to find anything suitable...?

I know the Daz store here has Andre the Ant (but it's a cartoon), and the AN Terra product (but those are weird blue alien-looking Ants) - I am really looking for something that looks more like Earth ants.

Comments

• patience55patience55 Posts: 6,928
    edited December 1969

Turbosquid has ants, ant spiders ... all kinds of stuff both free and $. click here

• Cybersox13Cybersox13 Posts: 4,199
    edited February 2013

Actually, if you're looking at doing still shots, the basic DAZ Ant isn't too bad once you replace the existing textures. http://www.daz3d.com/ant Here's a quickie render I did with a leather and snake-skin shader combination stuck in StoneMason's Dark Alley.

And if you're doing animation... change creatures to something easier now, while you still can!

Daz_Ant_test.jpg
    2000 x 1125 - 1M
    Post edited by Cybersox13 on
  • edited December 1969

Turbosquid has ants, ant spiders ... all kinds of stuff both free and $. click here

Thanks, i'll check it out.

• edited December 1969

Actually, if you're looking at doing still shots, the basic DAZ Ant isn't too bad once you replace the existing textures. http://www.daz3d.com/ant Here's a quickie render I did with a leather and snake-skin shader combination stuck in StoneMason's Dark Alley.

And if you're doing animation... change creatures to something easier now, while you still can!

:-) Just stills, thankfully, I haven't moved onto animation yet. Cheers for the pointer.

• KeryaKerya Posts: 9,158
    edited December 1969

This one is small - but free: http://www.fast3d.co.uk/ant/ant.htm

• bytescapesbytescapes Posts: 697
    edited February 2013

The AntFarm (who else?) offers Frida's Ant Fernando at a relatively modest price. It's a little weird-looking, but could be retextured to look more terrestrial.

Post edited by bytescapes on
  • edited December 1969

angusm said:
    The AntFarm (who else?) offers Frida's Ant Fernando at a relatively modest price. It's a little weird-looking, but could be retextured to look more terrestrial.

Thanks - couldn't believe how much turbosquid are charging for Ants! :-0

• WitchStormWitchStorm Posts: 172
    edited February 2013

I have used this one. http://www.daz3d.com/a-n-terra

Run_for_It.jpg
    683 x 384 - 170K
    Post edited by WitchStorm on
  • patience55patience55 Posts: 6,928
    edited December 1969

angusm said:

Thanks - couldn't believe how much turbosquid are charging for Ants! :-0

I always sort the search results by price, then the free ones show first ;-)
    And yes, some of their models get very expensive. There was once upon a time a free item in there, sadly it was only in Max and I think I deleted it because I couldn't find anything to open it. It went up to $10,000 in price. Seriously. So if something in there is free and you think you want it, snag it fast.

• Cybersox13Cybersox13 Posts: 4,199
    edited March 2013

Man, ideas can sure be contagious. I received the Mars Attacks artbook* as a gift a few weeks ago, and looking through it brought this thread back to mind... so I pulled out the scene I did at the top of this thread, added another layer of shaders to the lowly DAZ Ant, and knocked out a little tribute to THEM. This is a straight out of DAZ render, with no postwork except to convert to jpeg. (Man, I LOVE DS4.)

*The CARDS, not the movie.

Ant_Bait_Aiko_5_med.jpg
    2000 x 1125 - 852K
    Post edited by Cybersox13 on