Digital Art Zone

Giant Ants?
Posted: 24 February 2013 09:50 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  34
Joined  0

Hi guys,

Does anyone know of any sources for giant (or small but detailed enough to be blown up) ant figures? I have some renders of people fighting off giant ants in mind that I would like to make, but have not been able to find anything suitable…?

I know the Daz store here has Andre the Ant (but it’s a cartoon), and the AN Terra product (but those are weird blue alien-looking Ants) - I am really looking for something that looks more like Earth ants.

Posted: 24 February 2013 10:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4912
Joined  2012-04-07

Turbosquid has ants, ant spiders ... all kinds of stuff both free and $. click here

Signature 

Posted: 25 February 2013 01:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1884
Joined  2005-04-15

Actually, if you’re looking at doing still shots, the basic DAZ Ant isn’t too bad once you replace the existing textures.  http://www.daz3d.com/ant Here’s a quickie render I did with a leather and snake-skin shader combination stuck in StoneMason’s Dark Alley. 

And if you’re doing animation… change creatures to something easier now, while you still can!

Image Attachments
Daz_Ant_test.jpg
 Signature 

“And on the subject of bundles, exactly WHY does the M5 Pro Suite have a V5 DRESS and the Troll in it? Exactly what kind of “pro” IS M5?  Apparently one who likes to dress up in drag and go cruising down in the red light district of lower Middle Earth.”

Posted: 25 February 2013 02:06 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Rank
Joined  0
Patience55 - 24 February 2013 10:12 PM

Turbosquid has ants, ant spiders ... all kinds of stuff both free and $. click here

Thanks, i’ll check it out.

Posted: 25 February 2013 02:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Joined  0
Cybersox13 - 25 February 2013 01:34 AM

Actually, if you’re looking at doing still shots, the basic DAZ Ant isn’t too bad once you replace the existing textures.  http://www.daz3d.com/ant Here’s a quickie render I did with a leather and snake-skin shader combination stuck in StoneMason’s Dark Alley. 

And if you’re doing animation… change creatures to something easier now, while you still can!

grin Just stills, thankfully, I haven’t moved onto animation yet. Cheers for the pointer.

Posted: 25 February 2013 06:37 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5713
Joined  2006-02-20

This one is small - but free: http://www.fast3d.co.uk/ant/ant.htm

Signature 

I like Bryce, DazStudio, Poser and Vue ... in alphabetical order. And I would probably like Carrara too, if I could find the time to become acquainted with it. Peace?

Posted: 25 February 2013 10:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  322
Joined  2003-10-09

The AntFarm (who else?) offers Frida’s Ant Fernando at a relatively modest price. It’s a little weird-looking, but could be retextured to look more terrestrial.

Signature 

http://bytescapes.com/            Bryce/Carrara/Reality galleries and resources

Posted: 25 February 2013 01:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Rank
Joined  0
angusm - 25 February 2013 10:19 AM

The AntFarm (who else?) offers Frida’s Ant Fernando at a relatively modest price. It’s a little weird-looking, but could be retextured to look more terrestrial.

Thanks - couldn’t believe how much turbosquid are charging for Ants! :-0

Posted: 25 February 2013 02:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  156
Joined  2007-11-26

I have used this one. http://www.daz3d.com/a-n-terra

Image Attachments
Run_for_It.jpg
 Signature 

Posted: 25 February 2013 08:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4912
Joined  2012-04-07
bleybourne - 25 February 2013 01:47 PM
angusm - 25 February 2013 10:19 AM

Thanks - couldn’t believe how much turbosquid are charging for Ants! :-0

I always sort the search results by price, then the free ones show first wink
And yes, some of their models get very expensive. There was once upon a time a free item in there, sadly it was only in Max and I think I deleted it because I couldn’t find anything to open it. It went up to $10,000 in price. Seriously. So if something in there is free and you think you want it, snag it fast.

Signature 

Posted: 02 March 2013 07:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1884
Joined  2005-04-15

Man, ideas can sure be contagious.  I received the Mars Attacks artbook* as a gift a few weeks ago, and looking through it brought this thread back to mind… so I pulled out the scene I did at the top of this thread, added another layer of shaders to the lowly DAZ Ant, and knocked out a little tribute to THEM.  This is a straight out of DAZ render, with no postwork except to convert to jpeg.  (Man, I LOVE DS4.) 

*The CARDS, not the movie.

Image Attachments
Ant_Bait_Aiko_5_med.jpg
 Signature 

“And on the subject of bundles, exactly WHY does the M5 Pro Suite have a V5 DRESS and the Troll in it? Exactly what kind of “pro” IS M5?  Apparently one who likes to dress up in drag and go cruising down in the red light district of lower Middle Earth.”