2 of 7
Genesis in Poser
Posted: 16 June 2012 03:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1385
Joined  2003-10-09
WimvdB - 15 June 2012 04:00 PM

One thing I forgot to add: the Match Endpoints when conforming was introduced to fix a problem with M4, but it does seem to help with genesis as well - usually when there is a problem in the chest area

Thanks - I haven’t seen a particular improvement when doing that but that may be related to the amount of clothing that I have :(

I prefer to zero Genesis before exporting not just because that’s “the official route” using the CR2 exporter, but for the reason it’s the official route - I prefer to do my posing in Poser and use DAZ Studio 4 the absolute minimum amount possible. I’m still rather more comfortable with DAZ Studio 3, to be honest, than with version 4.

esther - 15 June 2012 06:36 PM

so if I got this I could use M5 and V5 in poser but would those figures still be really low poly like in the first experiments with the daz studio cR2 exporter?  ARe the lcothes low poly too?
love esther

There’s no change to the poly density over what the CR2 exporter SHOULD do, if operated correctly - though I would note two things about this. the first is that it’s possible to accidentally create a too-low-poly version of Genesis if you don’t set the right options so it’s possible the answer to your question is actually “yes” if you experienced that previously, the second is that Poser “mesh smoothing” doesn’t do a horrible job of improving the issue.

All of the promo images were rendered in Poser Pro 2012. There’s no post render work to make things look prettier or smoother. There ARE areas on Genesis, with various characters, that could use improvement (the ears come to mind immediately) but that’s beyond the scope of the tut (which was originally meant as a “quick” update on the original tutorial video which is now so out of date, but kinda grew…and grew… and grew!).

Clothing, so far as I have seen, is typically NOT low poly at all, but is reasonably high poly - sometimes higher poly than you might find on Gen4 stuff because the extra polys help the DS4 “morph follower” to accomodate the often rather extreme morph capabilities of Genesis characters.

I think it’s fair to say that I don’t think I’m the best artist in the world - my imagery is sufficient, at best, and the quality of my promo images somewhat reflects that. Having said which, if there’s some render I can make that would help you judge poly density, let me know and I’ll see what I can do. Maybe I can come up with something myself - but I don’t know how close you want the camera to be to what feature (IIRC someone said the elbows were a bit iffy at times?).

Cheers,

Cliff

Signature 

Cliff’s Store

Posted: 16 June 2012 03:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  188
Joined  2003-10-09

Regarding zeroing the figure before export: The disadvantage is that the morphs are zeroed as well. Zo when you load the figure after exporting, it is a default genesis. You then have to dial in the morphs to get the character. This is rather tedious if you have a character with lots of dialled morphs. You can (probably) export the morph character file with PFE and use that to get the dialled character, but that brings its own little annoyances. Keeping the figure in zero pose, applying all the morphs and then exporting the figure seems to work fine.

Posted: 16 June 2012 04:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  468
Joined  2003-10-09

Hi Cliff,
thanks for that detailed explanation.  I will definitely buy your tool and see what I can do with it.  Yes it was the ears that put me off to a large extent the first time I tried genesis in poser.  I think I probably did export the highest possible poly version that time as I followed all the instructions on the video to the letter.
Well I will give it all another try at some stage.
Love esther

Posted: 16 June 2012 10:22 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Rank
Joined  2003-10-09

Genesis hair is a problem now.
If the hair figure contains separate head and neck bodyparts (which most genesis hair seems to have), the automatic scaling of poser scales the head and neck separately. But it looks like the hair pieces only scale with the head. So the mesh breaks when auto scaling is used. Scaling the entire figure does not help either here if you use conforming because it needs to move along the y-axis. Parenting and scaling will work, but then you loose some other features.
Anyone a solution for this?

Posted: 01 July 2012 07:29 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  50
Joined  2007-07-23

If you prefer using Genesis in DS4 but want to render in Poser, is there a way (or a thread) on exporting an obj into poser?  Complete with clothes, hair, textures etc?  I’m using PP2010.

Posted: 01 July 2012 07:32 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2003-10-09

Yes - you’ll have to do all the posing etc. in DAZ Stduio, and you’ll have to do a bunch of material corrections in Poser, but it should be pretty straightforward - just export to a .OBJ from DS and Import the .OBJ in Poser. If you have multiple objects with the same material names, make sure that you export those as seperate .obj files.

Cheers,

Cliff

Signature 

Cliff’s Store

Posted: 14 August 2012 05:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2003-10-09
WimvdB - 14 August 2012 03:35 AM

See http://poser.smithmicro.com/updates.html

This includes a fix which eliminates the need for some of Cliff’s cloth fitting scripts when using genesis in Poser

It absolutely does a better job IMHO than at least 4 of my scripts. Get SR3 - now smile

Cheers,

Cliff

Signature 

Cliff’s Store

Posted: 16 August 2012 08:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
Rank
Joined  2003-10-09

DS4.5 has now been released/
No mention at all about the CR2 exporter. Skimming through the fix list, there are some fixes and provisions for SR3, but nothing seems to have been done about the workflow to get genesis into Poser. (having to do zillions of dialUP/DualDown sequences for each figure and clothing item)

Disappointing

Posted: 16 August 2012 09:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  468
Joined  2003-10-09

Maybe they will save each exporter improvement fix to coincide with the release of each new figure (it happened with V5 and then M5 and each time I bought a few things to try it).

Posted: 17 August 2012 04:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2003-10-09

I’m assuming DAZ are waiting for me to write some form of workaround/solution in DAZ Studio’s own scripting language before they release something better.

Signature 

Cliff’s Store

Posted: 17 August 2012 05:54 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15665
Joined  2003-10-09

There is now documentation for the DSON format - someone could write a Poser importer, with no need to have DS open. If the new extensions in Poser 9/2012 SR3 allow it might even be possible to write one that’s fast, being binary. Someone != me, I fear.

Signature 

DAZ Studio Frequently Asked Questions

Index of free DAZ Studio scripts and plugins list

Posted: 17 August 2012 06:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
Rank
Joined  2003-10-09

You could do that of course. But in that case you could also create the Poser files directly.
Or - if that cannot be done - you will have write a complete replacement for the library which will take care of all the interaction such as applying the correct morphs to the clothing, hair and translating the material files. And that is a lot of work

Posted: 17 August 2012 08:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2003-10-09
WimvdB - 17 August 2012 06:31 AM

And that is a lot of work

Writing a way to add all the morphs into clothing, perform geografting duties etc. as “a lot of work” seems like an understatement from the point of view of a 3rd party. Perhaps it’s a task that DAZ would like to tackle :D

Cheers,

Cliff

Signature 

Cliff’s Store

Posted: 21 August 2012 11:08 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]
Rank
Joined  2003-10-09

Anyone any idea how to get props from DS format to Poser format?
I have a problem with WildMane Hair from DAZ. If exported, the file remains invisible when loaded in Poser
I checked the CR2 file which was created and it does not contain any weight map information at all (it is 54K instead of th 7MB+ sizes of other exported hairs)
Now I am beginning to suspect that the hair is actually a (hair) prop and is not a figure at all (although the cr2 exporter accepts it)
So that leads me to the question: How do you export/import a dsf prop?
The PFE does not accept and props or hair props (only poses and expressions)

Or maybe I am missing a checkbox somewhere…..

Posted: 22 August 2012 03:21 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 30 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2003-10-09

The CR2 Exporter accepts it, certainly, but there’s precious little actually in the .CR2 as you’ve noticed - including a distinct lack of morphs.

I’ve seen DS users ask time and time again for a way to export props to Poser, so unless it’s been very recently added I suspect there isn’t a convenient “.pp2” export route - one would have to do it “by hand”.

Of course, for just the basic shape the CR2 Exporter has created a basic mesh at:

:Runtime:Geometries:DAZ 3D:WildMane Hair:WildMane for Genesis:WildMane for Genesis_048e9f2d_58e3_1c5b_7f92_ee4a0a3e7bb8.obj

which can be imported into Poser and used as a prop - but you’d need to manually transfer materials and any/all morphs that you want. Unless .pp2 exporting was added to DS really recently (sorry, I don’t hve it to hand right now).

Cheers,

Cliff

Signature 

Cliff’s Store

2 of 7