Mac Landscape Program like Bryce?

AriasoAriaso Posts: 100
edited February 2013 in Bryce Discussion

I was looking for an alternative to Bryce 7 on Mac, since it seems to have fallen on its updates. Well, more accurately, I was looking for my sister. Mojoworld was one option, since it's another program he did, but it's no longer maintained... or even able to be purchased.

I thought that there was a newer one on the Mac app store by the same guy, but I can't remember the name.

We have a cheap copy of Vue 8 for each of us, along with Terraray, we were looking for more abstract.

I thought that there was one on the Mac Appstore or some such that was 549 something for a professional version and 149 for one that would do landscapes, but not finding it at the moment...

Post edited by Ariaso on

Comments

  • Miss BMiss B Posts: 3,069
    edited February 2013

    I'm not on a Mac, but aside from Bryce, I also use Terragen  -->
    http://planetside.co.uk/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=40&Itemid=152

    I use Terragen Classic, and it states it's available for Mac OS 9 and Mac OS X, and it's free.

    There's also Terragen 2, but I haven't played with it yet so don't know what extra goodies it has. I believe there's a free version of that, as well as a pay-for version  --> http://planetside.co.uk/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=32&Itemid=150

    Post edited by Miss B on
  • AriasoAriaso Posts: 100
    edited December 1969

    Yes, I love Terragen Classic, it was my first foray into this virtual nature madness! :) I've bought a Win copy... I remember buying TerraRay because I'd love to have a program more like Terragen's GUI.

    On my sister's end, she has:
    Vue 8 Pioneer
    Terraray
    Bryce 7 Pro

    I also have Carrara, but she's not as thrilled with it as I am (I'm currently doing a scene, but the sun seems to have died. Random bug?)

  • bighbigh Posts: 5,428
    edited December 1969

    Ariaso said:
    I was looking for an alternative to Bryce 7 on Mac, since it seems to have fallen on its updates. Well, more accurately, I was looking for my sister. Mojoworld was one option, since it's another program he did, but it's no longer maintained... or even able to be purchased.

    I thought that there was a newer one on the Mac app store by the same guy, but I can't remember the name.

    We have a cheap copy of Vue 8 for each of us, along with Terraray, we were looking for more abstract.

    I thought that there was one on the Mac Appstore or some such that was 549 something for a professional version and 149 for one that would do landscapes, but not finding it at the moment...

    is this what you want -
    http://www.uisoftware.com/artmatic/indexAMVY.php

  • AriasoAriaso Posts: 100
    edited December 1969

    bigh said:
    Ariaso said:
    I was looking for an alternative to Bryce 7 on Mac, since it seems to have fallen on its updates. Well, more accurately, I was looking for my sister. Mojoworld was one option, since it's another program he did, but it's no longer maintained... or even able to be purchased.

    I thought that there was a newer one on the Mac app store by the same guy, but I can't remember the name.

    We have a cheap copy of Vue 8 for each of us, along with Terraray, we were looking for more abstract.

    I thought that there was one on the Mac Appstore or some such that was 549 something for a professional version and 149 for one that would do landscapes, but not finding it at the moment...

    is this what you want -
    http://www.uisoftware.com/artmatic/indexAMVY.php

    You are my hero! That's exactly it! :)

    I'll add it to the list of things to check out :)

  • bighbigh Posts: 5,428
    edited December 1969

    Ariaso said:
    bigh said:
    Ariaso said:
    I was looking for an alternative to Bryce 7 on Mac, since it seems to have fallen on its updates. Well, more accurately, I was looking for my sister. Mojoworld was one option, since it's another program he did, but it's no longer maintained... or even able to be purchased.

    I thought that there was a newer one on the Mac app store by the same guy, but I can't remember the name.

    We have a cheap copy of Vue 8 for each of us, along with Terraray, we were looking for more abstract.

    I thought that there was one on the Mac Appstore or some such that was 549 something for a professional version and 149 for one that would do landscapes, but not finding it at the moment...

    is this what you want -
    http://www.uisoftware.com/artmatic/indexAMVY.php

    You are my hero! That's exactly it! :)

    I'll add it to the list of things to check out :)

    check this out -
    http://youtu.be/hJtPI-JYYCY

  • TotteTotte Posts: 6,930
    edited February 2013

    I would recommend Vue http://www.e-onsoftware.com/ in combination with GeoControl2 http://www.geocontrol2.com/e_index.htm

    Post edited by Totte on
  • cris333cris333 Posts: 107
    edited February 2013

    another great terrain generator for any 3d render application is World Machine 2 but i don't think there is a mac version .This generator has same issue as bryce- when creating complex scenes for 32bit windows , "Running under 32bit Windows, World Machine can easily run out of memory (or more precisely, out of address space) during high resolution builds" -8192x8192 but the 2048x2048 builds and possibly 4096x4096 wont cause this issue , (can be fixed with this large adress mode) but this issue is not in 64 bit Vista/7 versions - bcuz 64bit OS uses 4 gb ram i think.Horo knows better than me how this thing works .
    As for a Bryce alternative i would recommend Terragen 2 + Xfrog 3.5 (plants creator) or Xfrog plants packs if you got some extra money.
    Bryce has a cool tree generator, Vue has a cool grass generator from what i read on forums but Terragen i dont think if it has vegetation generator, however be ready to learn Terragen because it is the most difficult (complex) to learn/use landscape software ..you can add even shaders to your terrains .Vue has better default skies than Bryce i think but not so easy to learn and use as Bryce.Bryce still remains in my opinion in top of the most easy to use/start for beginners and the best water rendered is in Bryce i think .
    The choice is yours and no matter what landscape software you use, with a terrain generator- for HEIGHT MAPS and a sculpting program (OPTIONAL for displacement maps) you can create amazing terrains.

    Post edited by cris333 on
  • Dan WhitesideDan Whiteside Posts: 228
    edited December 1969

    For what it's worth (LOL);
    MJW 3.1 doesn't load nor install under 10.8
    The current demo of Vue Mac crashes constantly under 10.8
    I love Voyager but there's no Import function and to create original stuff you need Artmatic (which is the actual procedural engine). Works on ALL macs.
    Haven't tried the new version of Terragen.
    TerraRay just merged with a big German software company - It'll be interesting to see how that turns out...

Sign In or Register to comment.
Rocket Fuel