Digital Art Zone

1 of 3
EXPORT - Octane - Fenric-  Poser or Daz ?
Posted: 21 February 2013 01:28 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  81
Joined  2012-01-13

thanks alot.

Posted: 21 February 2013 01:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  433
Joined  2012-04-01

Something to get you started:

Exporting from Carrara to Octane Part 1
http://carraracafe.com/?p=1425

Exporting from Carrara to Octane Part 2
http://carraracafe.com/?p=1428

Signature 

Everything about Carrara: http://www.carraracafe.com/

Posted: 21 February 2013 01:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Joined  2012-01-13

Thanks a lot!

Posted: 21 February 2013 06:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  262
Joined  2009-03-09

No, none of my plugins will export an entire scene.

I did try, once.  The problem I ran into is that it doesn’t take all that much in a scene before the resulting obj file can’t be re-loaded into anything.

Signature 

Come visit my store!

http://www.daz3d.com/fenric
http://fenric.com/wordpress/store/

Posted: 21 February 2013 06:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Joined  2012-01-13

interesting

Posted: 21 February 2013 07:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Rank
Joined  2012-01-13

cool

Posted: 21 February 2013 07:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Rank
Joined  2012-01-13

genius!

Posted: 22 February 2013 08:11 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1818
Joined  2004-08-24

Hi 3D taday smile

My only wish is it’s lack of an exporter to Octane/  Reality.  I’m wondering if one of Fenrics plugins would export full animation, and mesh, to Octane?

As a Carrara and Octane user, I can tell you it’s not as easy as that,. and it’s probably not possible for many carrara scenes.
(IMO) It would be better to have Octane as a plug-in renderer,  which could work within Carrara,..  (not sure if that’s possible either)

Octane uses your Video card’s GPU and RAM to load all of the models,. and all of the textures for those models.
This means that you’re restricted to loading and rendering what the graphics card RAM can handle.

If you imagine a Carrara scene with some replicated grass, and some trees,. then think about the size of the resulting exported OBJ with hundreds or thousands of models,. plus all their texture maps,.. then you can easily get scenes which will take a long time to process and export from Carrara as a single OBJ file,. but may also result in an OBJ file which is larger than your available GPU ram.

I’m not saying that Octane is bad, or faulty in any way,.. I think it’s a great renderer,. but your Video card’s RAM limitation is one of the major drawbacks to using these new breed of unbiased GPU powered renderers.

Most 3D programs still use your CPU and RAM,.  and you’ll occasionally still get into situations where things start to slow down due to memory and processing power,. but it’s much easier to create a scene which uses a few GB or ram, and still allows you to have thousands of figures or trees, or grass etc… and have them animated if you want,. all within Carrara.

If you’re rendering for animation,. then the difference between a Carrara rendered sequence,. and an Octane rendered sequence becomes less visible when you’re seeing 24 frames per second.

As far as the “Quality” of the rendered image,.. depending on your skill levels in creating and using shaders and lighting,. Carrara can produce images which are just as good as Octane,. and without the hassle of exporting and adjusting the shaders and lighting in Octane to look (almost) the same as your Carrara scene.

As for animation,. each frame would need to be a separate OBJ model.
that’s why you’re seeing very simplistic animations where the figure is repeating a 15 to 30 frame looped cycle

So,. the bottom line for me right now is that Octane can be used to render a high quality image of a static object.
Carrara can be used to produce a high quality image, or image sequence,.. of either static or animated objects and figures.

Octane has some great “cool” features and tools, and the material / shader creation and on-line sharing through a central database is a great idea,..  but the cool tools and almost instant feedback to adjustments in the scene are all reliant on your graphics card and GPU ram.

You can still create a much larger scene, with more objects and more detail in carrara, and render at High quality,. even on an older system with Win XP and a couple of GB of ram.

Graphics cards will obviously improve and get cheaper, but for something with several GB of ram and thousands of Cuda cores. .. It’ll cost you.

Learn Carrara,  it’s got a fantastic render engine which blows the pants off of most other 3D programs, it’s also fast, and has multi-pass options which can also help you get better images in post production.

Octane (stand alone) version 1 was only recently released, and while there’s a lot of great features right now,.(octane now supports object instancing and placement, and Groups of objects)  it’ll get better with time,. and the price of Graphics cards with Multiple Gigabytes of high speed RAM and thousands of CUDA cores will continue to become more affordable,..

Perhaps it’s a case of 3D tomorrow smile

Hope it helps smile

Posted: 22 February 2013 08:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Rank
Joined  2012-01-13

Yes I’m learning Carrara.

Posted: 22 February 2013 09:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5945
Joined  2007-12-04

I’m not really hip to any of this, since I’m just a happy little Carrara guy. I love Carrara’s rendering capabilities.
However, onto your query:
Koukotsu, from over in the “Post your Renders” thread, has introduced a tutorial in the old forums about exporting Carrara stuff to Blender for use in Luxology(?) or whatever. I asked her if she still had the files, since their all missing now from the old forums, and she said that she might be making a new one - as all of those files are now lost. I would imagine that such a thing would be a great start? I’m ignorant to such things, but thought I’d offer that, since it’s fresh in my brain-pan. cool hmm

Signature 

Dartanbeck @ Daz3d          Check out the Carrara Cafe          ►►►  Carrara Information Manual   ◄◄◄

Posted: 22 February 2013 09:21 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Rank
Joined  2012-01-13

thanks

Posted: 22 February 2013 09:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7220
Joined  2009-07-13

does octane do FBX import?
and I have gotten Carrara rigged figures animated into Blender using collada but not Daz/Poser ones except as an animated mangled mess.
not that I know much what to do with them once in there!
have also gotten stuff into the free version of Houdini Apprentice.

Signature 

WARNING do not click tongue rolleye what video horrors will be seen if you do cannot be unseen.
my render thread
        never forget
A Drows Walk
Jaderail is at it again

Posted: 22 February 2013 09:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-12-04

3dtoday,
I can’t speak for everyone, but I’m just a nice little guy - until someone changes my mind in that regard! lol
I know a few people around here, though, [edited] vampire

Signature 

Dartanbeck @ Daz3d          Check out the Carrara Cafe          ►►►  Carrara Information Manual   ◄◄◄

Posted: 22 February 2013 09:44 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Rank
Joined  2012-01-13
Dartanbeck - 22 February 2013 09:39 AM

3dtoday,
I can’t speak for everyone, but I’m just a nice little guy - until someone changes my mind in that regard! lol
I know a few people around here, though, that seem to be incapable of being nice… or friendly… even when they try. It’s sad - so I feel sorry for them rather than take offense. I almost got mad when they picked on one of my good Carrarartist friends, but she asked before I had a chance to be, not to - so I didn’t let it show - even though I’d still like to meet up with both of them in a dark alley - in real life… just me and them - all at once! vampire

Well CASUAL,  is the nicest person in the Daz Universe , imho.  He’s created dozens of Free Daz scripts!  He deserves
respect, and thanks, from everyone here if he arrives, please.!

Posted: 22 February 2013 10:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-12-04
3dtoday - 22 February 2013 09:44 AM

Well CASUAL,  is the nicest person in the Daz Universe , imho.  He’s created dozens of Free Daz scripts!  He deserves
respect, and thanks, from everyone here if he arrives, please.!

Absolutely. I’ll be very nice. I have a huge respect for people like that, especially. Always giving, and giving, and giving….
3DAGE is like that here. Infinite wisdom, friendly and always helpful, going out of his way, at times, to help folks resolve their issues!
[edited]

Signature 

Posted: 22 February 2013 10:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7220
Joined  2009-07-13

darn forum keeps losing my replies!
so now I have to retype this all again!!

I was hoping fenrics objs exporter could export sequenced obj files to use in casuals script for creating morh targets in sequence
trees with rustle and ocean primitives work as obj exports along timeline but not in fenrics exporter, you use the subsequent ones to create morph targets in morph loader (some of Howies trees won’t work as I queried in another thread)
and you can use this not just in DS
but another GPU base software suite I am beta testing tbat indeed does realtime render
(but hush, cannot tell yet)
it could work in Blender using cycles too if it were possibe to export sequenced objs of everything with morph and skinning deforms (huge obj scene files needed for each frame but doable)

try again
darn forum keeps losing my replies!

Signature 

WARNING do not click tongue rolleye what video horrors will be seen if you do cannot be unseen.
my render thread
        never forget
A Drows Walk
Jaderail is at it again

1 of 3