Digital Art Zone

1 of 2
Recommended reading for Bryce 7.5?
Posted: 19 February 2013 09:12 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  29
Joined  2012-07-30

Hi all,

So, I’ve started getting seriously into learning Bryce, but am finding it difficult to find resources that seem very helpful. I either find a lot of dead links, links to videos that are out-dated, or in another language.

I have found the videos by David Brinnen and, while his videos are a great showcase of what Bryce can do, for me, I find them very difficult to follow. He kinda jumps around, clicking this, clicking that, clicking this other thing, switching to this window, clicking a few things, closing that window… going back to this other window, clicking a bunch of stuff… and just generally bouncing around the interface a lot, all while describing what he’s doing as quickly as he’s clicking.

For me, it’s very difficult to follow or understand all of what he’s doing enough to understand or retain any of it. So, while it’s very insightful and inspiring to watch his videos in terms of seeing what Bryce can do, I think I need something a bit slower-paced to learn the program with. Something a bit more “newbie-speed”.

Sooo.. I’m looking for some good tutorials on Bryce online, something that perhaps works on a kind of project basis. I’ve found a few tutorials, but they seem to be very “task oriented”, not so much “beginners tutorials”. Bryce has a very deep material system, for example, and I’ve found tutorials that either scratch the absolute very basics of it, or dive way into the tools. I haven’t found anything in -between.

So, that’s kinda what I’m looking for. Tutorials, or videos, or maybe even a book that starts with the absolute basics, works into the more moderate elements, and then gets a bit into the deeper, more complicated things. This way I can follow a normal progression of learning, building on what I’ve already learned.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Posted: 20 February 2013 12:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4691
Joined  2004-07-01
miketvogel - 19 February 2013 09:12 PM

Hi all,

So, I’ve started getting seriously into learning Bryce, but am finding it difficult to find resources that seem very helpful. I either find a lot of dead links, links to videos that are out-dated, or in another language.

I have found the videos by David Brinnen and, while his videos are a great showcase of what Bryce can do, for me, I find them very difficult to follow. He kinda jumps around, clicking this, clicking that, clicking this other thing, switching to this window, clicking a few things, closing that window… going back to this other window, clicking a bunch of stuff… and just generally bouncing around the interface a lot, all while describing what he’s doing as quickly as he’s clicking.

For me, it’s very difficult to follow or understand all of what he’s doing enough to understand or retain any of it. So, while it’s very insightful and inspiring to watch his videos in terms of seeing what Bryce can do, I think I need something a bit slower-paced to learn the program with. Something a bit more “newbie-speed”.

Sooo.. I’m looking for some good tutorials on Bryce online, something that perhaps works on a kind of project basis. I’ve found a few tutorials, but they seem to be very “task oriented”, not so much “beginners tutorials”. Bryce has a very deep material system, for example, and I’ve found tutorials that either scratch the absolute very basics of it, or dive way into the tools. I haven’t found anything in -between.

So, that’s kinda what I’m looking for. Tutorials, or videos, or maybe even a book that starts with the absolute basics, works into the more moderate elements, and then gets a bit into the deeper, more complicated things. This way I can follow a normal progression of learning, building on what I’ve already learned.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

the best to me any way is here ( says Bryce 5 but every thing works in Bryce 7 ) -
http://www.robinwood.com/Catalog/Technical/BryceTuts/BrycePages/BryceWhy.html

Posted: 20 February 2013 03:24 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2554
Joined  2004-07-06

Hi all,

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Yeah, I can see the problem, unfortunately my approach is scatter-shot, I just do a tutorial on what happens to interest me at the time - which is often quite a deep topic.  I also find it difficult to slow down.

Chris has gathered all the Bryce tutorials he can find on his website (link below in my signature) and if you find any more you can always let him know and he will add them when he gets the chance.  Bryce-Tutorials.info contact page

I’ve tried recently to turn my hand at a few beginners tutorials, so here’s the links if you’ve not seen them.

Bryce 20 minute beginners project - simple landscape - a tutorial by David Brinnen
Bryce 20 minute beginners project - simple still life - a tutorial by David Brinnen

And this one people said is pretty useful for beginners too.

Bryce 25 minutes on landscape lighting basics - working with legacy skies - by David Brinnen

I’m sort of working backwards, the simpler the tutorial the harder it is to make it for someone very familiar with the software (well that’s what I reckon) because it is easy to fall back on knowledge that would take a lot of explanation.

Feel free to make suggestions for tutorial topics, but I can’t promise to be able to make them to suit your level of ability.  I’ll try, but I find it a difficult thing to do.

Signature 

that Bryce Tutorials Info and this Products made by Horo and myself and a link to my gallery at DAZ 3D

Posted: 20 February 2013 03:52 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15575
Joined  2003-10-09

Hi and welcome to the Bryce forum

As bigh says the Robin Woods set of tutorials are a very good star as they cover all the basic stuff. It is only the newer features that are not included.

THere is also a list of tutorials here http://www.daz3d.com/forums/viewthread/2839/   Some of which you may find helpful

ANd I can assure you that there are poepl in this forum who are only to happy to answer any questions you may have.

We are also running an educational challenge, especially for new users, here http://www.daz3d.com/forums/viewthread/16063/

Signature 

Chohole’s Space        Neil’Vs Freebies and stuff        L Summer Bryce Rendering Challenge        August Freebie Challenge
My DAZ 3D Gallery    11915

Posted: 20 February 2013 05:54 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3449
Joined  2004-10-01

There is still the Bryce documentation WIP at http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/artzone/pub/software/bryce/start and even if it’s a WIP, most parts are complete and a recommended reference for everyone.

Signature 

**  [ Stuff by David Brinnen and myself**  [ My DAZ 3D Gallery**  [ My Website**  OPC 4565 **

Posted: 20 February 2013 06:18 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1575
Joined  2007-12-10

Never mind about the “recommended reading for Bryce 7.5”...

... Where can I get a copy of Bryce 7.5? cheese

Signature 

I’ve got nothing of my own to promote, no models, no tutorials, no website, nothin’, nada, nill, nowt.

Posted: 20 February 2013 07:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Rank
Joined  2012-07-30
David Brinnen - 20 February 2013 03:24 AM

Yeah, I can see the problem, unfortunately my approach is scatter-shot, I just do a tutorial on what happens to interest me at the time - which is often quite a deep topic.  I also find it difficult to slow down.

Chris has gathered all the Bryce tutorials he can find on his website (link below in my signature) and if you find any more you can always let him know and he will add them when he gets the chance.  Bryce-Tutorials.info contact page

I’ve tried recently to turn my hand at a few beginners tutorials, so here’s the links if you’ve not seen them.

Bryce 20 minute beginners project - simple landscape - a tutorial by David Brinnen
Bryce 20 minute beginners project - simple still life - a tutorial by David Brinnen

Bryce 25 minutes on landscape lighting basics - working with legacy skies - by David Brinnen

I’m sort of working backwards, the simpler the tutorial the harder it is to make it for someone very familiar with the software (well that’s what I reckon) because it is easy to fall back on knowledge that would take a lot of explanation.

Feel free to make suggestions for tutorial topics, but I can’t promise to be able to make them to suit your level of ability.  I’ll try, but I find it a difficult thing to do.

Hello there, David.

Thanks for your response! I hope my post didn’t come across as being “harsh” at all lol. I really dig your videos, they just seem a bit beyond me as a new user still. I imagine when I’m more experienced with the software, I’ll have less, or no trouble tracking them.

I did check out your new user tutorials, specifically the one about creating a simple scene. I’ve started on the Still Life one, but will need to finish that up later, since I need to get to work soon.

Thanks for taking the time to reply and provide those links! I’ll definitely check them out and see what I can learn!

Posted: 20 February 2013 07:09 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Rank
Joined  2012-07-30
bigh - 20 February 2013 12:38 AM

Hi all,

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

the best to me any way is here ( says Bryce 5 but every thing works in Bryce 7 ) -
http://www.robinwood.com/Catalog/Technical/BryceTuts/BrycePages/BryceWhy.html

Great! I hadn’t seen that before. Will check it out later tonight, when I get home and can sit back and go through it.

Thanks!

Posted: 20 February 2013 07:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Rank
Joined  2012-07-30

Hi all.. Thanks so far for the replies! I don’t have time to write a lengthier response (though I’d like to) as work beckons, but I wanted to at least drop in and post a few responses to y’all before I ran out the door.

Being the inquisitive/curious type I am, I’m sure I’ll have more questions lol.

Thanks again!

Posted: 20 February 2013 07:35 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2554
Joined  2004-07-06
miketvogel - 20 February 2013 07:07 AM
David Brinnen - 20 February 2013 03:24 AM

Hello there, David.

Thanks for your response! I hope my post didn’t come across as being “harsh” at all lol. I really dig your videos, they just seem a bit beyond me as a new user still. I imagine when I’m more experienced with the software, I’ll have less, or no trouble tracking them.

I did check out your new user tutorials, specifically the one about creating a simple scene. I’ve started on the Still Life one, but will need to finish that up later, since I need to get to work soon.

Thanks for taking the time to reply and provide those links! I’ll definitely check them out and see what I can learn!

Hi Mike,

No problem, I’ve come to recognise the limitations of my videos but have yet to envision a way to overcome them.  It is quite by accident that I have ended up providing so many tutorials, it was never my intention.  Your criticisms are entirely valid, but as I have no training in the field of teaching, it is only via trial and error (and subsequent feedback) that I can progress towards something more suitable for folks to learn from.  When someone says something works or does not work, then I try to remember and adjust me approach accordingly.  Bryce rewards the imaginative and curious, it’s not really a proscriptive piece of software, there is no wrong way to do things, as long as you get the results you want, that’s the way it should be done - at least that is what I reckon.

Cheers,

David.

Signature 

that Bryce Tutorials Info and this Products made by Horo and myself and a link to my gallery at DAZ 3D

Posted: 20 February 2013 10:28 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Rank
Joined  2012-07-30
David Brinnen - 20 February 2013 07:35 AM

Hi Mike,

No problem, I’ve come to recognise the limitations of my videos but have yet to envision a way to overcome them.  It is quite by accident that I have ended up providing so many tutorials, it was never my intention.  Your criticisms are entirely valid, but as I have no training in the field of teaching, it is only via trial and error (and subsequent feedback) that I can progress towards something more suitable for folks to learn from.  When someone says something works or does not work, then I try to remember and adjust me approach accordingly.  Bryce rewards the imaginative and curious, it’s not really a proscriptive piece of software, there is no wrong way to do things, as long as you get the results you want, that’s the way it should be done - at least that is what I reckon.

Cheers,

David.

That makes sense. It can be easy to forget that things which are second nature to you are completely alien to someone else. I run into that a lot in my job, when trying to explain things about graphics and such (such as the difference between vector and raster/bitmap art, etc). It all makes perfect sense to me, but tends to result in blank stares when I attempt to explain it lol. So, I understand where you’re coming from completely.

I did pick up in your videos that it seems like Bryce has kinda moved on to a new/more “modern” way of handling lighting. I’m wondering if I should put a lot of effort into “mastering” the legacy lighting system, or should I just learn to work with the newer, more modern approach that you seem to go with in your videos.

My most immediate reason for wanting to learn Bryce is to help illustrate environments for a game world I’m creating, for use as concept work and to help with world building when it eventually gets to that point. I can sketch things out, but I am not quite so skilled in capturing the look/feel of what I’m after; a kind of disconnect between my brain and my hand. With something like Bryce, I can mock up those scenes and capture them much more closely. I can tweak it to get it “just right”.. as well as show it in different lighting settings, etc. So it’s just going to be a very powerful and useful tool toward that end, I think. At least in theory.

Perhaps I could create the basic height-maps for my game environments in Bryce. I’m not sure how well suited it is to that. I like that it can handle things like erosion and such. But i don’t know how good it is for working on “local level detail” across a large area. I haven’t really seen anything done like that with Bryce.

Beyond that, I wouldn’t at all mind creating more elaborate imagery with it, perhaps integrating with DazStudio, etc. There’s opportunity for that, too, I think.

So… that’s what I"m working toward. Soon as I get the particulars down of the program, I think I’ll be well on my way. I’m still trying to get some traction with the program. But, once I get that, I usually pick things up pretty intuitively/quickly.

Anyhoo… I’ll definitely look at more of the tutorials recommended when I get home tonight and keep practicing/learning.

Thanks!

Posted: 20 February 2013 12:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  426
Joined  2005-11-06

Hi all,

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Hi Mike, you may like to check out these tutorials I’ve written for beginners in Bryce - I hope they help.

http://brycebasics.blogspot.co.uk/p/tutorials.html

Signature 

BEGINNERS TUTORIALS FOR BRYCE
MY DAZ 3d STORE  for Bryce & DAZ Studio Materials and Shaders
BRYCE ARENA News and resources for Bryce

Posted: 20 February 2013 12:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3449
Joined  2004-10-01
TheSavage64 - 20 February 2013 06:18 AM

Never mind about the “recommended reading for Bryce 7.5”...

... Where can I get a copy of Bryce 7.5? cheese

Only insiders get it so we are always a step ahead of the others. smile

Signature 

**  [ Stuff by David Brinnen and myself**  [ My DAZ 3D Gallery**  [ My Website**  OPC 4565 **

Posted: 20 February 2013 11:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  103
Joined  2011-02-06

Important is how much do you know about 3D CG , are you only new to Bryce or to 3D too .
You can use this http://www.digitaltutors.com/training/free-tutorials with free tutors (no need subscription, also lots of paid tutors have first or second lesson free)  if you need to know more about 3D ,modeling, shading, applying textures ,.. the basic rules applies to any 3D software , unfortunately there is no Bryce/Daz/Hexagon/Carara tutorials there but at least we have Horo and David masters and their website and lots of helpful Bryce users here on forum. The Bryce forum is very ACTIVE and very helpful, i’ve seen questions posted 6 months ago about 3D CG on Autodesk forums and still waiting for replies ...Tutorials are good but an active community worth more than 1000 tutorials ,same like a picture worth more than 1000 words.A community can help you with answers if you get a “Runtime error” or crashing bug on an application but a tutorial won’t explain what to do.
Back to Bryce , see the bryce tutorials sticky page and dont forget to download
http://www.sharecg.com/v/63140/view/3/PDF-Tutorial/Bryce-Tutorial-1—-Basic-and-Complex-Booleans Step-by-Step clicking tutorial even for someone who just opened Bryce for the first time, (has a popular irish song-edited by me in FL Studio and project files included - to bad i can’t attach a coffee too lol ) if you need to know about boolean basics cool smile , for more advanced booleans TheSavage64 and orbital have great models and i think they can help you further.

Image Attachments
TUTORcoversmall.jpg
 Signature 

“If the facts don’t fit the theory, change the facts..” LOL
( Albert Einstein )

Posted: 21 February 2013 01:33 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1422
Joined  2011-09-25

Thanks for the boolean link, cris.  It’s something I’ve needed.

Signature 

If you constantly look backward, it’s guaranteed you’ll run into something on your forward journey.
My Gallery Page: GussNemo’s Efforts

Posted: 21 February 2013 03:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  103
Joined  2011-02-06

you’re welcome Nemo and thank you for feedback , i’m glad you find it useful/helpful . I wanted to continue the boolean tutorial to release the volume 2 (advanced) but i got into Star Trek Online game some time ago and also helped a lot on improving or creating pages (content and graphical aspect+rearranging) on STO wiki http://www.stowiki.org/Special:Contributions/Cris333 where i got a nomination for admin in the wiki team ( i rejected). Now i took a break from STO and i’m back into 3D , Bryce and learning to model stuff.Not sure if or when the volume 2 will be released unfortunately and i don’t like to make promises if i can’t keep them LOL

Edit:  Bryce is lacking in boolean tutorials, tree lab tutorials, light lab tutorials well not completety but maybe not enough…i think

Signature 

“If the facts don’t fit the theory, change the facts..” LOL
( Albert Einstein )

1 of 2