Digital Art Zone

1 of 5
can i re-sell a daz account with all the content in?
Posted: 19 February 2013 02:03 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  239
Joined  2012-05-25

can i re-sell a daz account with all the content in? have carrara, but don’t need it anymore found other software today.

can i re-sell this? so i don’t lose all my money with a product i will never use again.

Signature 

Very Happy that i save $$$ for products that have no manual and invest this in the great lux modo :p

Posted: 19 February 2013 02:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1410
Joined  2008-11-10

No you can’t.

Posted: 19 February 2013 02:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Joined  2012-05-25

so i lost all my money on content that i never gonna use?

sick

Signature 

Very Happy that i save $$$ for products that have no manual and invest this in the great lux modo :p

Posted: 19 February 2013 02:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  12386
Joined  2003-10-09

You can open a Sales support ticket, but I would expect the answer to be no.

Signature 

DAZ Studio Frequently Asked Questions

Index of free DAZ Studio scripts and plugins list

Posted: 19 February 2013 02:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Joined  2012-05-25

thank you for the info.

Signature 

Posted: 19 February 2013 02:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  987
Joined  2012-01-29

You can return all items that you bought in DAZ store in the past 30 days. But selling the content that you bought in DAZ store is against the EULA. Actually, I think all 3D content stores have this rule, not just DAZ.

Posted: 19 February 2013 03:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  655
Joined  2003-10-09
creativemodelsbe - 19 February 2013 02:05 PM

so i lost all my money on content that i never gonna use?

sick

Yep!  Kinda’ sucks doesn’t it?  But then again can you resell the movies you have downloaded and recorded from your TV Cable provider?  Can you resell the music you downloaded from the Web?  Can you resell the list of love lorn responders to your on-line dateing service?  Of course if you have a copy of the information you can do whatever you want with it but it won’t necessarily be legal.

Point being that the world is evolving to accept the idea that information can be accessed but not owned.  Protecting ownership becomes a heavy burden.

The modern idea is to provide access to the newest version of data so that it becomes more important than owning any previous version.  If they keep updating data on a rapid cycle you have to keep paying an access fee.  If they stopped fixing problems or actually produced a stable product the one valid copy would quickly get traded out around the world forcing the producer to continually chase down and prosecute violators.  However, if they keep changing the product then the old stuff becomes less desirable and the sucke… ( er customers) who want the latest and greatest have to keep making payments.  This “Cloud” concept is a financial waterfall of gold for producers of continually updating data.

Access to data is issued on a user identity basis.  Your account with DAZ gives you access to the updates for the products you’ve purchased.  DAZ doesn’t transfer accounts from person to person. 

It’s interesting to note that for a long time Adobe and their major uber-expensive products Photoshop, Illustrator, Dreamweaver, PremierPro, etc. used to be permanent product license based, and they would transfer the license to other people.  But even Adobe is switching to a cloud based subscription service.  As is Microsoft’s Office product.  These big companies wouldn’t be switching if there wasn’t a pot of money at the end of the rainbow. (do you get the waterfall/rainbow reference?) 8-s

DAZ’s policy has always been “Not no how, not no way, are we going to allow you to give away or sell our product”.  Which is loud and firery talk from the man behind the curtain.  But with all the updates and fixes and patches and improvements and technology changes that they throw at us I think they’re seeing the wisdom for a total subscription service.  Perhaps “soon”?  Just watch. 8-o

Signature 

I’m sooo confused…  I’ve come to grasp a little of the nature of reality and the answer to life, the universe, and everything.  I even have an inkling as to who and what I am. Auuummmmm…
But please, please, who the hell are you?  And why are you trampling my roses?

Posted: 19 February 2013 05:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  9532
Joined  2007-11-06

...I sure hope it doesn’t come down to that for to work totally online (just like streaming films or playing games) you need a very clean solid connection (which not everyone has and/ or is able to have depending on one’s location).  The last thing you need is a network timeout or reset to cause you to lose the work you’ve done up to that point or crash a render process that is nearly complete.

Besides the software providers, going totally cloud based would also benefit the major cable internet and telecom providers that force users into oft expensive multiyear contracts with penalties for cancellation, services one may not need or want, download caps, and ever increasing rates.

——

One thing I was wondering, doesn’t Carrara have an FBX plugin to export to other software platforms?

Signature 

...Dammit Jim, I’m an artist not a Database Manager.

Posted: 19 February 2013 06:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  139
Joined  2003-11-10
Kyoto Kid - 19 February 2013 05:45 PM

One thing I was wondering, doesn’t Carrara have an FBX plugin to export to other software platforms?

Carrara 8 has native support for importing and exporting 3ds, COLLADA, and FBX as well as a variety of other file types. With a fairly inexpensive plug in, it can also import/export MDD. The OP may want to consider using Carrara in their workflow instead of just deleting it.

edit: In the Carrara section of the forum, someone was discussing how they use FBX to export Genesis from Daz Studio and import it into Cinema 4D. Apparently it works extremely well.

Posted: 20 February 2013 12:37 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1583
Joined  2008-05-31
LeatherGryphon - 19 February 2013 03:48 PM

It’s interesting to note that for a long time Adobe and their major uber-expensive products Photoshop, Illustrator, Dreamweaver, PremierPro, etc. used to be permanent product license based, and they would transfer the license to other people.  But even Adobe is switching to a cloud based subscription service.  As is Microsoft’s Office product.  These big companies wouldn’t be switching if there wasn’t a pot of money at the end of the rainbow. (do you get the waterfall/rainbow reference?) 8-s

Well I’m not biting. No cloud stuff for me. I know many others feel the same way. 

Signature 
Tools for the DAZ store

Posted: 20 February 2013 01:44 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  486
Joined  2009-08-07

We’re not buying content. It’s in the EULA we all agreed to. We’re buying nontransferable licences to use the content. Like almost all digital goods, they can’t be transferred legally to someone else. I would recommend exploring the export options in Carrara, or just chalking it up to the experience gained and move on. All the best!

Signature 

Check out The Lesser Evil, a graphic novel made using DAZ models, and published by Zeta Comics!

Posted: 20 February 2013 02:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2008-05-31
canberra_boy - 20 February 2013 01:44 AM

We’re not buying content. It’s in the EULA we all agreed to. We’re buying nontransferable licences to use the content. Like almost all digital goods, they can’t be transferred legally to someone else.

Hardly all. It’s completely legal to resell a copy of Windows or a music CD, for example. A recent court ruling in the EU has also stated that it’s legal to resell Video Games (and possibly other digital content), notwithstanding the EULA may say it isn’t.

Signature 
Tools for the DAZ store

Posted: 20 February 2013 04:06 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  14152
Joined  2003-10-09

It’s always dangerous to assume a legal ruling in a specific case can be applied to a wide range of general cases.

This certainly appears to have be the situation in the reference ruling from the Court of Justice of the European Union in the case of UsedSoft versus Oracle.

So it cannot be used to demonstrate a general change in the laws. It was a very specific case, about one specific point.

Signature 

Chohole’s Space        Neil’Vs Freebies and stuff        Spring Bryce Rendering Challenge        April Freebie Challenge
My DAZ Gallery    11915

Posted: 20 February 2013 06:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2008-05-31

As far as I understand it the EU ruling just reinforces an already existing EU directive:

“The court’s ruling hinges on the EU directive on the legal protection of computer programs, which introduces the principle of exhaustion of distribution right after first sale. Oracle argued that this does not apply to user licences downloaded from the internet.

The Court rejected this claim, judging that the principle of exhaustion holds good for downloads as well as for copies distributed by CD-ROM or DVD. As with physical media, the owners of downloaded software must destroy their copies after selling to a third party, the Court ruled. Also, owners are not allowed to split multi-seat licences for resale in smaller units

This is a sensible judgment, but does not have major ramifications for the software industry. The Court is merely reinforcing the right to sell secondhand software licences within the EU.”

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/07/03/eu_court_secondhand_licence_ruling/

How to define “software” in this context is another question, but since it’s legal to resell e.g. music CDs as well as video games I imagine the EU directive(s?) covers a rather broad range of content. I’ve been unable to find any concrete information on this in their archives though. .

Signature 
Tools for the DAZ store

Posted: 20 February 2013 07:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  14152
Joined  2003-10-09

Another thing to remember is that the EU courts are made up of people who are appointed rather than elected, and even some of the EU member countries are challenging the court’s rights to decide matters for all EU Countries.

However I will go no further on that matter as it is straying very much into the political realm, which is a forum NoNo.

Signature 

Chohole’s Space        Neil’Vs Freebies and stuff        Spring Bryce Rendering Challenge        April Freebie Challenge
My DAZ Gallery    11915

Posted: 20 February 2013 08:32 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Rank
Joined  2012-05-25
LeatherGryphon - 19 February 2013 03:48 PM

The modern idea is to provide access to the newest version of data so that it becomes more important than owning any previous version.  If they keep updating data on a rapid cycle you have to keep paying an access fee.  If they stopped fixing problems or actually produced a stable product the one valid copy would quickly get traded out around the world forcing the producer to continually chase down and prosecute violators.  However, if they keep changing the product then the old stuff becomes less desirable and the sucke… ( er customers) who want the latest and greatest have to keep making payments.  This “Cloud” concept is a financial waterfall of gold for producers of continually updating data.

Access to data is issued on a user identity basis.  Your account with DAZ gives you access to the updates for the products you’ve purchased.  DAZ doesn’t transfer accounts from person to person. 

i prefer to own things manual, physical, have a movie on a disk on your personal harddrive.
systems like the cloud, streaming will kill the internet back to the old days where people buy real books.

guess in Europe it’s legal to re-sell digital content.

Signature 

1 of 5