Digital Art Zone

2 of 2
I just don’t get it
Posted: 09 June 2012 05:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  657
Joined  2007-05-26

Great points Jerham.  I would add the earlier stage of package evaluation needs to be where you really measure the package against your store’s requirements… if there is missing functionality in the package negotiate with the vendor… it could be something they would want to add to the package itself…ie. fastgrabs, single list for purchased items, links for vendor’s products, etc. Let them add it so you aren’t forever customizing the package… not only now with this big install… but also whenever the package itself is updated you either have another customization effort or have to stay on older less supported versions fo the package.

Signature 

If I want to be a fool then I will be a fool! That is my God given right as an American!

—- Jason from True Blood

Posted: 09 June 2012 07:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  12172
Joined  2007-11-06

...the other day while doing some unrelated research, I was on the Capital Metro (Austin’s transit system) site.  They are planning to migrate to new software.  What they are doing is keeping the current site live alongside the new site (still in Beta status) which is accessible by a link from the home page.

I’ve seen other sites/businesses do this as well. It allows customers to, in the words of Capital Metro, “test drive” the new site before it goes live and offer comments/suggestions.

This is something Daz should have done, at least with the Store and associated account pages portion of their site.  I agree with others and have mentioned elsewhere myself that this most likely is having a serious impact on Daz’s bottom line. I too like have put off making any new purchases and even deleted my CC profile (even though I am told that information is safe) until there is some stability here.  In my book no site is completely “hack proof”, especially one that is apparently in utter chaos.

Signature 

...it’s five minutes to midnight…

I’d rather have a blue sky above me than a blue screen in front of me.

Posted: 10 June 2012 07:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  927
Joined  2003-10-09
Kyoto Kid - 09 June 2012 07:28 PM

...the other day while doing some unrelated research, I was on the Capital Metro (Austin’s transit system) site.  They are planning to migrate to new software.  What they are doing is keeping the current site live alongside the new site (still in Beta status) which is accessible by a link from the home page.

I’ve seen other sites/businesses do this as well. It allows customers to, in the words of Capital Metro, “test drive” the new site before it goes live and offer comments/suggestions.

This is something Daz should have done, at least with the Store and associated account pages portion of their site.  I agree with others and have mentioned elsewhere myself that this most likely is having a serious impact on Daz’s bottom line. I too like have put off making any new purchases and even deleted my CC profile (even though I am told that information is safe) until there is some stability here.  In my book no site is completely “hack proof”, especially one that is apparently in utter chaos.

Well this is exactly what Daz did with the last “new site” in fact as I recall they had it accessible as a beta for close to a year, yet upon rollout it was loaded with problems and many of the people who signed up as beta testers reported that their suggestions seemed to be ignored or at best not explained why it wasn’t going to be something that would be implemented.

Posted: 10 June 2012 08:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
RankRank
Joined  2003-10-09
T Jaiman - 09 June 2012 02:38 PM
LordHardDriven - 09 June 2012 01:08 PM

What really puzzles me is why the switch in the first place? The old site wasn’t that old and the reason for that one was because the previous one was such a patched up version that it was becoming difficult to maintain. So the more recent old site, being only about a year or so old should have been relatively clean code. The old site also had lots of troubles when it went live but over the past year those problems seemed to have gotten worked out and it was finally getting to the point where it was running fairly smooth from a customer’s perspective and then they went and upset the apple cart again by switching to this site.

The new-old store software was a patched-up version of the old-old store software.

They kept it running for a year (and it took a year to fix. wink ). But it just wasn’t sustainable.

Well the only problem I have with that explaination is it was pretty much that explaination that was given as to why they switched from the old old site to the last old site. So if the last old site was really just a patched up version of the old old site then it was a short sighted solution to more or less replaced a patched up version with a reworked patched up version.

I guess in the end it only really matters to me from the perspective of will Daz be able to survive what all these problems are doing to it’s customer base? I say that because currently and for the foreseeable near future I can’t afford anything here, hell I’m struggling just to be able to afford food and keep from having to file bankruptcy and as such it’s no problem for me to wait for a fix to eventually come down the road. If everything is working fine and Daz is still here when/if my situation improves then for me it’ll really just be a no harm no foul kind of thing.

What my intent with this thread is, is to try to understand better why it needs to be this way and perhaps through starting that discussion help others to understand the why’s better. It’s a valid point that not all ecommerce sites are the same and therefore one site might be able to implement a new site without problems while another is plagued with problems. I just don’t see what’s so different here to make it so hard for Daz to roll out a new site smoothly.

Posted: 10 June 2012 08:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  234
Joined  2003-10-09

This is something Daz should have done, at least with the Store and associated account pages portion of their site.

DAZ stated in the first post of the announcement thread on May 10th,
“Due to the nature of the changes we’re making, we will not be able to have both sites up simultaneously. As a result, once we turn on the new store, access to the old (current) store/site will NOT be available.”

Coldrake

Signature 

I don’t dance, I boogie.
———————————————————

If I have to choose between speed and quality, I’ll take quality every time.
———————————————————

It’s not what tools you use,
It’s how you use your tools.

Posted: 10 June 2012 09:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1615
Joined  2012-01-04
LordHardDriven - 09 June 2012 01:08 PM

Well the only problem I have with that explaination is it was pretty much that explaination that was given as to why they switched from the old old site to the last old site. So if the last old site was really just a patched up version of the old old site then it was a short sighted solution to more or less replaced a patched up version with a reworked patched up version.

Duh, say that again….LOL

Signature 

Old Post Count: Maybe 3 or 4.
O/S: Windows 7x64
D/S: 4.6.0.18

Posted: 10 June 2012 10:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
RankRank
Joined  2003-10-09

Rather then repeating myself maybe I should say it differently, no? The site Daz ran from around 2003 to 2010 was what we are refering to here as the old, old site. When the new old site was rolled out (the version before the current site) it was loaded with as many problems as this new site is but as an explaination as to why was it necessary it was said the old, old site was so patched up that it was becoming unstable and problematic to keep using. Now the post I was replying to made the case that the new old site was really just a patched up version of the old, old site. I’m finding that hard to believe though because Daz’s reason alledgedly from moving from the old, old site was because it was so patched up and becoming unstable. So if the assertion is true that the new old site was really the old, old site patched up, then I’m saying it was pretty short sighted to try and fix a problem by doing essentially the same thing that created the problem. It would have been smarter to move to a new platform then and deal with one round of pissing off customers rather then pissing everyone of with a patch worked solution and then pissing them off again a year later with a whole new platform.

Posted: 11 June 2012 12:17 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  12172
Joined  2007-11-06
LordHardDriven - 10 June 2012 07:40 PM

Well this is exactly what Daz did with the last “new site” in fact as I recall they had it accessible as a beta for close to a year, yet upon rollout it was loaded with problems and many of the people who signed up as beta testers reported that their suggestions seemed to be ignored or at best not explained why it wasn’t going to be something that would be implemented.

...however, that was with PHPBB which is open source and requires that the user’s (in this case Daz’s) IT department to handle all the development work.  With Magenta Enterprise, that should not have been the issue as they mention they have a fairly “well manned”  support team. 

Granted, many of the issues appear to stem for Daz trying to migrate a very customized database to the new software. Now one would think that if everything worked fine in testing at worst there should be maybe only a few minor issues when it goes live.  That is not the case in this instance and what we are experiencing makes the last update’s issues pale in comparison.  The bottom line is that I feel Daz made the wrong choice given the fact they hoped to migrate the old database and it’s features into what is apparently incompatible software for the task.

I still believe that a parallel setup would have been the best way to go as they would still have a fallback with the PHPBB.based site. This whole situation has basically been a torpedo to the midship and Daz is beginning to flounder with the bridge crew still thinking they can patch things up while continueimng at full speed ahead.

Signature 

...it’s five minutes to midnight…

I’d rather have a blue sky above me than a blue screen in front of me.

Posted: 11 June 2012 05:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  778
Joined  2003-10-09
Kyoto Kid - 11 June 2012 12:17 AM

... This whole situation has basically been a torpedo to the midship and Daz is beginning to flounder with the bridge crew still thinking they can patch things up while continueimng at full speed ahead.

And since the ship has been chuming the waters for years, the sharks are circling the scene waiting for the crew to toss the rest of the cargo overboard. ohh

Signature 

I’m sooo confused…  I’ve come to grasp a little of the nature of reality and the answer to life, the universe, and everything.  I even have an inkling as to who and what I am. Auuummmmm…
But please, please, who the hell are you?  And why are you trampling my roses?

Posted: 11 June 2012 07:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15289
Joined  2003-10-09

The last update was using the same core, with patches and fixes. That’s why it was possible to run it in parallel. It was hoped that those would resolve the problems with the original store code, but they didn’t. Therefore DAZ has had to move to a new system, which isn’t a proprietary home-brew but which also has a different structure and way of handling some things (such as coupons) and so couldn’t be run in parallel with the old store. or at least, that’s my understanding of the situation.

Signature 

DAZ Studio Frequently Asked Questions

Index of free DAZ Studio scripts and plugins list

Posted: 11 June 2012 01:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  234
Joined  2003-10-09

The bottom line is that I feel Daz made the wrong choice given the fact they hoped to migrate the old database and it’s features into what is apparently incompatible software for the task.

Therein lies the problem. There is no compatible software that would give them all the features that the old site had.

Coldrake

Signature 

I don’t dance, I boogie.
———————————————————

If I have to choose between speed and quality, I’ll take quality every time.
———————————————————

It’s not what tools you use,
It’s how you use your tools.

Posted: 11 June 2012 02:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
RankRank
Joined  2003-10-09
Coldrake - 11 June 2012 01:36 PM

The bottom line is that I feel Daz made the wrong choice given the fact they hoped to migrate the old database and it’s features into what is apparently incompatible software for the task.

Therein lies the problem. There is no compatible software that would give them all the features that the old site had. ...

Lack of features or delay of implementation of some features would have been acceptible.  What is not acceptible is bungled implementation of basic features. mad

Signature 

I’m sooo confused…  I’ve come to grasp a little of the nature of reality and the answer to life, the universe, and everything.  I even have an inkling as to who and what I am. Auuummmmm…

Posted: 11 June 2012 02:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7907
Joined  2006-03-19

We’re all frustrated with the new site and the imperfections with them.

Signature 

ARTCollaborations Store on DAZ3D    ARTCollaborations on Facebook

*****Ravenwood Cemetery*****  

Posted: 11 June 2012 03:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]
RankRank
Joined  2003-10-09

I’ve been tempted to say something to DAZ like “this is the worst software bungle I’ve ever seen”.  However, for the last several days I’ve been trying to get a brand new spiffy Western Digital 3-terabyte “MyBook Live” network external hard drive to work properly and reliably.  The drive is nice.  It works as advertised if you use Windows7-Pro’s “Backup&Restore;”; native software to backup your data and system to the WD network drive.  However for Windows7-HomePremium or Vista-Basic or any XP machine you discover that the backup to a network drive feature isn’t in those Microsoft OS’s so you are tempted to use WD’s free “SmartWare” backup software that came with the drive.  I’d heard bad things about it but figured it was just pilot error and any competent computer guru could make it straighten up and fly right.  Wrong!!!  mad

Needless to say, I have been less than successful.  So I go to the web and Google for problems with the WD “SmartWare” backup software and what do I see??  Oodles and oodles of poor saps just like me who say things like “What is this crap?” and “So you want to get rid of SmartWare?”.  ohh 

My experience with “SmartWare” is that it is less than smart.  In fact it has now received my pronouncement that Western Digital’s “SmartWare” is the worst software bungle I have ever seen.  So DAZ, you’re safe from that title for a while at least. tongue wink

Signature 

Posted: 12 June 2012 02:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 30 ]
RankRank
Joined  2003-10-09

Well I guess things are finally starting to improve, I no longer see someone else’s name when I’m logged in and when I click new releases I see all of the new releases. Now if we can just get back the ability to click a vendors name and see thier store and they can find a way to put back alot of the information about products the old site had (number of files, file sizes, accessories for a given file) I’ll be a happy camper again.

I guess what’s most frustrating to me is that for most of us users we really didn’t know what exactly Daz was trying to do. Like with the missing information on the product pages how are we supposed to know if that’s a problem with the site software or if it’s something Daz did intentionally?

2 of 2