5 of 20
The Realism Challenge - Biased VS Unbiased Showdown
Posted: 17 February 2013 02:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 61 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1777
Joined  2007-12-10

Bryce 7 Pro

This passed as a photo in a publication.

Image Attachments
ShowerBigDOFc.jpg
 Signature 

I’ve got nothing of my own to promote, no models, no tutorials, no website, nothin’, nada, nill, nowt.

Posted: 17 February 2013 02:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 62 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4524
Joined  2007-09-13

Here’s a simple tut for doing fog/volumetrics in Lux (it’s done for the LuxrenderDS, but can be done in Reality, too…or you can hand edit the Luxrender scene files…)

http://tofu-ala-mode.deviantart.com/art/How-to-make-Fog-250397951

Signature 

1432 old posts

My ShareCG gallery.

Just because something costs a lot, doesn’t mean it’s the best…

It just means it’s expensive.

Posted: 17 February 2013 02:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 63 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3101
Joined  2009-02-24

Merlin’s recent church rendered in Lux using Reality. Fog prop used for the lovely ‘god rays’ streaming through the window. As per rules, no postwork, not even effects via Lux’s built-in functions.

Image Attachments
Church.png
 Signature 

Find me on DeviantArt
Download my free IBL presets for Luxus
Re-upload of Cresent’s awesome pwToon shaders
Create your own Smart Content

Posted: 17 February 2013 03:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 64 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  258
Joined  0
holly wetcircuit - 17 February 2013 01:46 PM
magaremoto - 17 February 2013 01:03 PM
holly wetcircuit - 17 February 2013 12:31 PM

Here’s another pic with a fishyer-eyed camera… I just can’t go in and add a bunch of tiny wrinkle maps. For me it is “real enough” and still renders fast enough to be used in animations (Although I would probably tone down the details for animation anyway to get better encoding results)...

Wendy you open your challenge with one of the most difficult topics - make a realistic brown skin - however you are very close to the target, some improvements on nose and ears, the rest is very convincing imo. maybe if the model were not so fat he could be much more realistic

Thank you, but I am not Wendy, I am Holly. LOL wink

I don’t know how being heavier is UN-realistic… Maybe you are not American…

But I could always stand some improvement… Cranked up the bump on this one. I will be looking at Black men’s noses and ears to see what I can do differently. I think it’s all about procedural shaders being controlled with maps, rather than just hi-res maps… Still lots of work to do…

Great thread! looking forward to seeing more pics! Especially some unbiased ones….

pardon.. my Queen
I know the problem of obesity in US, I just wanted to say that you have chosen a subject caricature, uncommon, anyway you did a really great job in such a short time. won’t you make a tutorial about reflections on human skin? it’s a very difficult issue to understand

Posted: 17 February 2013 03:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 65 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  922
Joined  2005-11-06

Well most of mine are inappropriate for DAZ, but here are a few done in Lux with no postwork

Image Attachments
sailing.jpgamazon.jpgangelnew5.jpg
 Signature 

Regards, Michael

“Documentation? Who needs documentation, just open it and learn!”

My DeviantArt Gallery

My DAZ Gallery

Posted: 17 February 2013 04:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 66 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4524
Joined  2007-09-13

Here’s another Lux…

This is done in less than an hour using a tweaked SPPM render

Oh, yeah…forgot…a single spot is the only light in the scene.

Image Attachments
helicopter.png
 Signature 

1432 old posts

My ShareCG gallery.

Just because something costs a lot, doesn’t mean it’s the best…

It just means it’s expensive.

Posted: 17 February 2013 04:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 67 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  12550
Joined  2007-11-06

...lighting and choice of skin mats also has a lot to do with the final quality.

Created in Daz 4.5 using the Young Teens5 Julie with Elspeth skin mat by Throne/Sarsa, lit using an old eleven source light set I’ve had since ver 1.7 (with additional linear point light for facial fill) and rendered with the built in 3Delight (no raytracing).

Render time: just shy of four minutes including shadow mapping and optimisation.

Image Attachments
teen_5_tracey_B_lights.jpg
 Signature 

...it’s five minutes to midnight…

I’d rather have a blue sky above me than a blue screen in front of me.

Posted: 17 February 2013 04:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 68 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  922
Joined  2005-11-06

Nice one mjc1016!

Seeing Hollys bust image, I wanted to see what I could come up with that was similar yet showed contrast in Lux.
This is 15 minutes of setup with genesis, about 20 minutes to tweak shaders and settings and 2 hours to render with 2 light sources. Granted there is sooooo much more I can do with the shaders and settings towards the goal of realism, but since it was a test I had to find a stopping point. Texture is Trey for M4 from Morris

Image Attachments
tiny.jpg
 Signature 

Regards, Michael

“Documentation? Who needs documentation, just open it and learn!”

My DeviantArt Gallery

My DAZ Gallery

Posted: 17 February 2013 05:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 69 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2618
Joined  2007-12-07

One I did just shy of 2 years ago.  I can’t remember now how long it took (using LuxRender 0.9), but it would not have been more than a handful of hours:

Image Attachments
walk_in_sunlight_by_simonjm-d3f78i6.jpg
 Signature 

Some writings by a friend:
http://www.lizardsofthehost.co.uk/11.html
http://www.lizardsofthehost.co.uk/13.html
http://www.lizardsofthehost.co.uk/7.html

Posted: 17 February 2013 05:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 70 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  12550
Joined  2007-11-06

...which app/render engine?

Signature 

...it’s five minutes to midnight…

I’d rather have a blue sky above me than a blue screen in front of me.

Posted: 17 February 2013 06:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 71 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1035
Joined  2012-02-04

On the unbiased side, pretty much my entire gallery over at dA is rendered with Lux.  I think there’s maybe three or four scenes that were rendered with 3Delight.  Most of my renders also have no postwork.

Regardless of DAZ’s filter rules, I will never upload any actual images to the DAZ forums.  So here are a few links to recent(ish) renders in my gallery that show off certain aspects of Lux:

Specimen 479931-85F uses Lux volumes to create the plexiglass walls holding water.  Most of the lights you see in the watertank walls are reflections
Making Her Report makes extensive use of Lux’s metal2 shader—pretty much everything except the clothes BotGenesis is wearing
Pool Shark has some issues, but the volumetric glass geometry shells around the pool balls came out really well
Retro Pinup 001 shows off Lux’s native woven cloth material nicely (view the full resolution download to really see the weave simulation)
Always Raining on the Skydeck uses Lux’s motion blur effect to smear the raindrops, with an IBL for the sunset lighting
The Anu-Naki Witch is another example of water in Lux (the shield is also a glass volume in Lux)
King to A5 uses Lux glass volumes for all the chess pieces, with an IBL to provide some nice clouds for them to interact with

Keep in mind I am still just a hobbyist 3D renderer, and have only been at this for about a year now.  So while these examples all have various problems, I think they’re a lot better than I’d ever have achieved with 3Delight in the same time period.  I used to do a lot of photography (and even own my own studio lights), so lighting in Lux just makes a lot more sense to me than it does in 3Delight.

As an aside, what render engine does Carrara use under the hood?

Signature 

My deviantART Homepage
Set Focal Distance script for DAZ Studio

Posted: 17 February 2013 06:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 72 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2618
Joined  2007-12-07
Kyoto Kid - 17 February 2013 05:53 PM

...which app/render engine?

Ooops, oh yes - I’ll edit the post to show it was LuxRender - probably 0.9

Signature 

Some writings by a friend:
http://www.lizardsofthehost.co.uk/11.html
http://www.lizardsofthehost.co.uk/13.html
http://www.lizardsofthehost.co.uk/7.html

Posted: 17 February 2013 07:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 73 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6100
Joined  2006-08-27
FirstBastion - 17 February 2013 10:44 AM

I’d probably fall into the “the artist’s talent/craft is more significant than the tools used” camp because I’ve seen amazing renders with both biased and unbiased renders.  Those are the images that are memorable,  or strike a cord.  Emotional impact of an image is usually more important than the technical achievement.

Your render is very nice. My only quibble is with the amount of SSS, particularly in the guy’s arms and head. The lighting looks great.

Signature 

I find it somewhat liberating not to be encumbered by accuracy.

Posted: 17 February 2013 07:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 74 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-08-27
Hiro Protagonist - 17 February 2013 02:08 PM

This isn’t going to be much fun without some unbiased renders, so here is one. Done in Luxrender.

Very nice Mini Cooper. I think it’s also the first time I’ve seen a Luxrender image on these forums that’s much larger than 800X800 pixels. wink

Signature 

Posted: 17 February 2013 07:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 75 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-08-27
FSMCDesigns - 17 February 2013 04:45 PM

Nice one mjc1016!

Seeing Hollys bust image, I wanted to see what I could come up with that was similar yet showed contrast in Lux.
This is 15 minutes of setup with genesis, about 20 minutes to tweak shaders and settings and 2 hours to render with 2 light sources. Granted there is sooooo much more I can do with the shaders and settings towards the goal of realism, but since it was a test I had to find a stopping point. Texture is Trey for M4 from Morris

Gotta say, I know it’s a quick scene set up, but I’m not liking the skin at all. Your other renders looked great.

Signature 

5 of 20