Digital Art Zone

4 of 20
The Realism Challenge - Biased VS Unbiased Showdown
Posted: 17 February 2013 01:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 46 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  37
Joined  2004-04-06

Interesting thread.

Although it wasn’t mentioned in the original post, I’ve used Vue for the fruit bowl, as an example of an unbiased render engine.  Still can’t get the grapes right, but I can’t spend any more time on them.

Image Attachments
fruit_vue_3.jpg

Posted: 17 February 2013 01:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 47 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  345
Joined  2009-03-17
Dim Reaper - 17 February 2013 01:05 PM

Interesting thread.

Although it wasn’t mentioned in the original post, I’ve used Vue for the fruit bowl, as an example of an unbiased render engine.  Still can’t get the grapes right, but I can’t spend any more time on them.

Nice. I like the color bleed under the bowl. Sadly I gave up on the fruit bowl simply because the model imports as a single mesh in Studio with no material zones. Yes, I could open it in a modeler and set up material zones but I really don’t like fruit all that much. Lol.

Signature 

My life is a symphony nearing a crescendo. There have been too many segues in this piece and I long for a caesura.

Posted: 17 February 2013 01:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 48 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4545
Joined  2007-09-13

Scene composed in DS3 and rendered in the standalone 3Delight…

Image Attachments
lightrerender.png
 Signature 

1432 old posts

My ShareCG gallery.

Just because something costs a lot, doesn’t mean it’s the best…

It just means it’s expensive.

Posted: 17 February 2013 01:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 49 ]
RankRank
Joined  2009-03-17
mjc1016 - 17 February 2013 01:13 PM

Great job mjc. Is there a specific reason you rendered via 3Delight externally? Or just preference?

Signature 

My life is a symphony nearing a crescendo. There have been too many segues in this piece and I long for a caesura.

Posted: 17 February 2013 01:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 50 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  37
Joined  2004-04-06
Harry Dresden - 17 February 2013 01:11 PM
Dim Reaper - 17 February 2013 01:05 PM

Interesting thread.

Nice. I like the color bleed under the bowl. Sadly I gave up on the fruit bowl simply because the model imports as a single mesh in Studio with no material zones. Yes, I could open it in a modeler and set up material zones but I really don’t like fruit all that much. Lol.

Thanks. grin

That’s about the same reason I gave up on the fruit bowl in Poser.

Posted: 17 February 2013 01:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 51 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4545
Joined  2007-09-13
Harry Dresden - 17 February 2013 01:19 PM
mjc1016 - 17 February 2013 01:13 PM

Great job mjc. Is there a specific reason you rendered via 3Delight externally? Or just preference?

It’s something I dumped to RIB a long time ago and have been running as a test scene in the various 3Delight standalone versions…this is done in the current free version. 

Here’s a Lux with volumetric effects…

Image Attachments
drow1.jpg
 Signature 

1432 old posts

My ShareCG gallery.

Just because something costs a lot, doesn’t mean it’s the best…

It just means it’s expensive.

Posted: 17 February 2013 01:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 52 ]
RankRank
Joined  2009-03-17

Wait. Lux has volumetrics? Bah, screw these wannabe renderers, Imah gonna go check that stuff out.

Lol, just kidding. So how did you do it?

Signature 

Posted: 17 February 2013 01:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 53 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  848
Joined  2005-11-06
Harry Dresden - 17 February 2013 12:48 PM

Noooo. It’s really not biased (there’s just no escaping that pun is there?). The problem is that so far the entries are a bit one sided. And yes, people are poking fun but its all in good spirit (I hope).

Here’s the thing - I truly believe that Poser, Carrara, Bryce and Studio are all capable of rendering stunningly realistic images. The problem is nobody believes it (notibly Reality users, lol). So I’m trying to appeal to the experts in both camps to have some fun and show off. Reality is great at what it does and so is Octane. I know coz I have both. But how close can we get to those renderers if we don’t have them? That is the question.

Valid point and I agree, it has the most to do with the artist and their knowledge/skill than it does with the renderer. I have seen some amazingly realistic looking renders done in DS with 3Delight, but they are few and far between, whereas using unbiased renderers like Lux and Octane, you can get closer to realism with just a few clicks and less knowledge IMO.

Signature 

Regards, Michael

“Documentation? Who needs documentation, just open it and learn!”

My DeviantArt Gallery

My DAZ Gallery

Posted: 17 February 2013 01:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 54 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1694
Joined  0
magaremoto - 17 February 2013 01:03 PM
holly wetcircuit - 17 February 2013 12:31 PM

Here’s another pic with a fishyer-eyed camera… I just can’t go in and add a bunch of tiny wrinkle maps. For me it is “real enough” and still renders fast enough to be used in animations (Although I would probably tone down the details for animation anyway to get better encoding results)...

Wendy you open your challenge with one of the most difficult topics - make a realistic brown skin - however you are very close to the target, some improvements on nose and ears, the rest is very convincing imo. maybe if the model were not so fat he could be much more realistic

Thank you, but I am not Wendy, I am Holly. LOL wink

I don’t know how being heavier is UN-realistic… Maybe you are not American…

But I could always stand some improvement… Cranked up the bump on this one. I will be looking at Black men’s noses and ears to see what I can do differently. I think it’s all about procedural shaders being controlled with maps, rather than just hi-res maps… Still lots of work to do…

Great thread! looking forward to seeing more pics! Especially some unbiased ones….

Image Attachments
Doc6.png
 Signature 

320+ TUTORIALS for Carrara at CARRARA CAFE
C3DE - CARRARA 3D EXPO MAGAZINE - the showcase for Carrara Artists

Posted: 17 February 2013 02:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 55 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1374
Joined  2011-01-03
holly wetcircuit - 17 February 2013 11:58 AM

They are still rendering… LOL

BOOM!

Damn Holly, you’re on a roll this weekend. cool grin

Signature 

- Garstor
Australian-Canadian currently trapped in Texas (maintaining sanity with doses of Carrara, LightWave and PhotoShop)

My 3D art Flickr page for final or near-final images
My 3D art Flickr page for work-in-progress or experiments

Posted: 17 February 2013 02:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 56 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  208
Joined  2011-09-13

This isn’t going to be much fun without some unbiased renders, so here is one. Done in Luxrender.

Image Attachments
Mini.jpg

Posted: 17 February 2013 02:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 57 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1374
Joined  2011-01-03
Hiro Protagonist - 17 February 2013 02:08 PM

This isn’t going to be much fun without some unbiased renders, so here is one. Done in Luxrender.

Glad to see someone stepping up on the unbiased side. Can you please add some stats about the render settings and time?

Signature 

- Garstor
Australian-Canadian currently trapped in Texas (maintaining sanity with doses of Carrara, LightWave and PhotoShop)

My 3D art Flickr page for final or near-final images
My 3D art Flickr page for work-in-progress or experiments

Posted: 17 February 2013 02:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 58 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1694
Joined  0

Chrome and pavement look nice in that Mini Cooper render! grin

Signature 

320+ TUTORIALS for Carrara at CARRARA CAFE
C3DE - CARRARA 3D EXPO MAGAZINE - the showcase for Carrara Artists

Posted: 17 February 2013 02:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 59 ]
RankRank
Joined  2009-03-17

Very nice render. The standard is set for car renders. wink

Signature 

Posted: 17 February 2013 02:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 60 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  208
Joined  2011-09-13
Garstor - 17 February 2013 02:12 PM

Glad to see someone stepping up on the unbiased side. Can you please add some stats about the render settings and time?

Lots of settings! Anything in particular? It uses a sky IBL and a single meshlight for some fill. As to the time, I didn’t record it and it was done in 2 or 3 sessions. I would have thought in excess of 10 hours, but could be more—tempus fugit, you know. The reflections are the killer, particularly in the windows, which are still a bit noisy.

4 of 20